Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default When we get old (er)

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 19 Aug 2016 01:27:28 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 18 Aug 2016 22:48:24 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news On Thu, 18 Aug 2016 08:29:25 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news On Thu, 11 Aug 2016 01:35:00 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 00:56:42 +0100, Johnny B Good
wrote:

On Tue, 09 Aug 2016 19:51:33 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 09/08/2016 19:44, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Tue, 09 Aug 2016 19:35:54 +0100, Bod
wrote:

====snip====

Yuk!

What's yuk about it?

Piling up dirty dishes.

Yeah, my thought too. It's bad enough piling up dirty dishes
*into*
the
dishwasher but to consider piling them up on the draining board
is
beyond
the pale imho.

Do you have OCD? Do you wash your hands 30 times a day? It's
just
small amount of food that soon dries out, it doesn't smell.

It's the emptying of the cleaned dishes and cutlery *out* of the
dishwasher which both me and the missus find a bit of a chore.
Filling
the dishwasher seems less of a pain (unless your other half is
hell
bent
on sabotaging your efforts at honing your skills as a "Load
Master").

If you use your crockery from the dishwasher, there's hardly any
take
out by the time you do the next load.

I guess one way to eliminate the "Putting the dishes away"
problem
is
install *two* dishwasher machines[1] so you can alternate between
them
as
a clean dishes 'source' and a dirty dishes 'sink' - no need for a
full
size dishes/crockery cupboard[2] then! :-)

Why would you need that?

So you don't have to shift the pile on the sink into the
dishwasher when its time to run the dishwasher.

I just use the clean ones in the dishwasher while the dirty ones
pile
up
on the sink.

Makes more sense to put the dirty stuff straight into the
dishwasher
in a kitchen which has been designed to allow the dishwasher to be
left open.

The other alternative to a pair of dishwashers is a single
dishwasher
that has spare trays and somewhere to put the extra trays so you
can take the trays of clean stuff out of the dishwasher into the
runners in the cupboard next to it and use the clean stuff out
of those spare trays as you need clean stuff. And put the dirty
stuff straight into the other pair of trays as they get dirty.

Not ideal tho, trays full of dishes arent the lightest thing
around.

And if it slips out of your hands you lose a lot of dishes.

Why is it in the 21st century we're still using breakable pots?

Because the unbreakable ones are considerably more expensive.

Plastic's cheap.

While it doesn't break as easily, it end up grotty much more quickly.

My point exactly,

Nope.

why has plastic not developed into much better things?

Because it would be much more expensive to have a plastic that
doesn't end up grotty much more quickly than ceramic plates
and glasses etc do even if that is possible and I don't believe it is.

So we accept the fact that being more breakable is something we have to
live
with.

So you have no idea why we can't make decent plastic?

It is never going to be possible to make plastic that is unscratchable as
ceramics
for anything like the cost of ceramics.