Posted to uk.d-i-y
Capitol Capitol is offline

Default When we get old (er)

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Davey
writes
On Tue, 9 Aug 2016 08:18:17 -0700 (PDT)
wrote:

I'm taken aback by the extent of your brain failure. Having used ion
exchangers I do know enough about them to know that in hard water
areas, you still need to put salt in the salt container in a
dishwasher. What salt there is or isn't in the detergent tablet is
completely irrelevant, it does not recharge the ion exchanger.

Having used tablets and no additional salt, nor rinse-aid, in our Very
Hard Water area for at least five years now, at approximately 2
washes per 3 weeks, there are no indications that my dishwasher's
softener is not working just fine.

Our use is as above but I cheated and connected the supply to the hot
water feed which comes from an ion exchange softener. We have a low
pressure hot water cistern and long pipe runs so I reckoned the fill
water would be lukewarm at best.

Best of all worlds, quicker cycle times, you get hot rinsing as a
bonus. I always do it this way.