Posted to uk.d-i-y
DerbyBorn[_5_] DerbyBorn[_5_] is offline

Default When we get old (er)

Actually, that's a habit of younger people rather than us more
knowing
'old timers' who know better than to prematurely wear out kitchen
mixer tap washers by needless excess compression. I've developed a
well established habit of closing such taps with the barest of
sufficiency to shut them off (knowing full well, that on mixer taps
particularly, there's a considerable latency between properly closing
a tap and the cessation of drips from their rather capacious spouts).

If such a tap doesn't seem to have been shut off sufficiently, I'll
only
apply the gentlest of tweaks to 'fully close' said tap. In this case,
"sufficient" is more than enough and any more is just going to
needlessly shorten the tap washer renewal maintenance cycle. :-)

I orient the C and H marked domes so that they are in the correct
orientation when the tap is adequately turned off. Turning off a tap is
akin to placing a lid over a hole - forcing the tap closed is a sign that
all is not well - eventually the thread starts to wear.