Posted to uk.d-i-y
Johnny B Good Johnny B Good is offline

Default When we get old (er)

On Tue, 02 Aug 2016 16:03:17 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

Will we be doing any of the following:

Press the buttons on our TV Remote really hard if it doesn't do what we
want?

What! You don't do that already? :-)

After locking the car with the remote, walk round and give each door 3
or 4 pulls of the door handle?

Never do (I might check the that the lock buttons are down or recycle
from unlocked to locked and alarmed) so can't see me breaking an
established habit.

Use a Krooklock on our car despite it having an immobiliser and
deadlocks?

I have a vague recollection that I *might* have used a crook lock on a
Reliant three wheeler nearly four decades ago but not more recently than
that, so again, not an established habit I'm likely to have any reason to
resume at any time in the future.

Give the taps an extra turn to the off position every time we go near
the sink.

Actually, that's a habit of younger people rather than us more knowing
'old timers' who know better than to prematurely wear out kitchen mixer
tap washers by needless excess compression. I've developed a well
established habit of closing such taps with the barest of sufficiency to
shut them off (knowing full well, that on mixer taps particularly,
there's a considerable latency between properly closing a tap and the
cessation of drips from their rather capacious spouts).

If such a tap doesn't seem to have been shut off sufficiently, I'll only
apply the gentlest of tweaks to 'fully close' said tap. In this case,
"sufficient" is more than enough and any more is just going to needlessly
shorten the tap washer renewal maintenance cycle. :-)

--
Johnny B Good