Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default And now I've seen it all ...

On Tuesday, November 27, 2012 12:56:29 PM UTC, John Williamson wrote:
Man at B&Q wrote:

On Nov 27, 11:14 am, whisky-dave wrote:

On Monday, November 26, 2012 5:48:07 PM UTC, wrote:

Bill wrote:

In message , Andrew Gabriel

writes

In many cars nowadays, the headlamps are not user replaceable

because you have to remove other parts of the engine to get to

them. That maybe why so many cars now drive with a headlamp out.

I've been wondering whether the modern fetish for flashing lights to

say "Come On", "Thanks" and so on isn't causing lamp failures. I

thought that when you apply volts to a cold filament, there is a

sudden rush of amps.

I thought they'd made a law against that sort of thing, isn't it called Ohms law ;-)

Which bit of ohm's law do you think is being broken?

He doesn't seem to be aware that the resistance of a lamp filament

increases greatly as its temperature rises from ambient to operating

temperature.

yes I do actually in fact I've plotted such results for an experiment we were going to run in the lab years ago, although this was for a standard 'house' light bulb rather than a halogen of car headlamp bulb.
So for me it's not a sudden inrush of amps as I'd fully expect it.

I'm not sure if flashing them is the cause of their failure I know car indictors don;t fail because of flashing but then again they are underrated as their prime job isn't illumination.
I believ a friedn problem with his halogens in the kitchen is due to vibration from upstairs as he seems to be replacing bulbs too often.

You and I both know that this is what generates the switch on surge.

I'd say it causes a surge rather than generates it.
But each to his own.

HID lamps have their own switch-on problems, of course.

--

Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 27, 1:03*pm, "Lieutenant Scott" wrote:
On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 07:53:22 -0000, dennis@home wrote:
On 26/11/2012 23:42, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

Considering an old woman got done for speeding while being scared of a
lorry tailgating her, yes they probably would.

Its stupid to speed up if you are being tailgated.

You tailgate me and I will slow down.

And I would just ignore the tailgater, or allow him to pass.

The slowing down is to allow him to pass. If neccessary I will slow to
complete stop until the ****wit is out of harms way in fromt of me.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 01:48:50 -0800 (PST), "Man at B&Q"
wrote:

On Nov 27, 9:43*am, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 09:04:04 +0000, Mark wrote:
I'll stick to supermarkets that don't require you to rent the
trolleys.

If you can find one.

I'm trying to think of a grocery supermarket that requires trolley rent
around here and I'm failing.

Lots round here.

They are apparently more common in pikey areas. A quid for a trolley is cheap
though, new they are nearer a hundred.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 09:07:47 +0000, Mark
wrote:

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 23:24:39 -0000, "Lieutenant Scott"
wrote:

If I'm in a foul mood and I forget my £1 coin, I go back to the car, grab a
huge pile of coppers, and go and change them in the supermarket.

Reminds me of my last attempt to shop at Morrisons. I had only cards
and no cash at all so went into the shop to ask how I could get a
trolley. They suggested buying something with a card and getting
cashback, then buying something with the cash to get the change and
then going to get the trolley to do the rest of my shop.

Needless to say I've never been back there.

The correct answer is of course a pair of bolt croppers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 09:44:03 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 21:18:38 +0000, Andy Champ wrote:

I suspect it's the hard cut off, he has a pool of brightness, that
reduces his night vision, and there is nothing beyond the cut off.
Normal halogen headlights have some spill that illuminate, to some
extent, beyound the cut off.

I had HID lights on my last car. Hated them for that reason.

B-) Glad that my theory has made correct assumptions. Is it just me or
is the number of vehicles with HID lights dropping?

No, your retina has been burnt away by a Panzerwagen driven by a tosser in a
suit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:

yes I do actually in fact I've plotted such results for an experiment we
were going to run in the lab years ago, although this was for a standard
'house' light bulb rather than a halogen of car headlamp bulb. So for me
it's not a sudden inrush of amps as I'd fully expect it.

with what did you measure the current? an analogue meter wouldn't register
fast enough - nor would many digital ones. You'd need a "peak hold" meter.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 27, 3:40*pm, Terry Casey wrote:
In article 2f95fbcf-a9e3-4f41-be08-
,
says...

They shouldn't need to, all new cars have to have a warning when a bulb
fails.
Like most warning lights in cars people ignore them.

Some ****wits deliberately disable them.

There's a surprise in store for them, then!

Next year, defective warning lights become an MOT fail!

I thought it had already come in. Tell the Loo-tennants drinker.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 27, 3:42*pm, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,

*charles wrote:
In article ,
* *whisky-dave wrote:

yes I do actually in fact I've plotted such results for an experiment we
were going to run in the lab years ago, although this was for a standard
'house' light bulb *rather than a halogen of car headlamp bulb. So for me
it's not a sudden inrush of amps as I'd fully expect it.

with what did you measure the current? an analogue meter wouldn't register
fast enough - nor would many digital ones. *You'd need a "peak hold" meter.

How about a storage scope? Does anyone make stuff like that these days?

Perhaps not what you think of as a "storage scope" but it's getting
more difficult to buy a new 'scope that doesn't have storage.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, November 27, 2012 2:26:40 PM UTC, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,

wrote:

Bill wrote:

[...]

Words like "sudden rush" and "surge" are meaningless in this context,

except to the extent that they apply to any circuit when you apply

volts.

Apply Potential differnce

Current will flow according to the resistance at any given

instant, that's all.

Well not just resitsance but inductance too, but I don't think that occurs in car headlamps or any bulb to any degree.

Yep in accordence with ohms laws that's way I said it in the first place in that who is breaking ohms law ?

you see I couldn't work out what part of ohms law was being broken by a "surge of amps".

If I apply 240V to a one meg resistor, there will be "a sudden rush" of

0.24mA or so, to match the voltage I applied.

But is it sudden ?, I think not, and what do you mean by match the voltage.
Not sure if your 240V is AC or DC though as that could change things.

Every time anything is conencted to a voltage that is capable of conducing current will flow, whether or not you se that as a sudden rush I guess is up to the observer.

--

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 13:43:41 -0000, tim..... wrote:

"Lieutenant Scott" wrote in message
newsp.woee2icpytk5n5@i7-940...

Tesco tried to give me a stupid clubcard on a keyring instead of the
sensible credit card shaped ones. I don't go there any more.

That seems a bit of an excessive response

The system does not work. The barcode rubs off the card with the keys in my pocket. The first time it happened I phoned up the helpline (they can't even re-issue them in store!) and got nothing. I phoned them AGAIN, and eventually got one after a further 3 weeks wait. I threw it in the bin and used a shop without stupid voucher systems. Hey Tesco, here's a clue, simply LOWER THE ORIGINAL PRICE, instead of ****ing us around making us buy things we don't want to collect these stupid points.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

wrote:
On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 09:04:04 +0000, Mark wrote:
I'll stick to supermarkets that don't require you to rent the
trolleys.

If you can find one.

I'm trying to think of a grocery supermarket that requires trolley rent
around here and I'm failing.

Lots round here.

They are apparently more common in pikey areas. A quid for a trolley is cheap
though, new they are nearer a hundred.

Standard everywhere in Italy (‚¬1)

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Lieutenant Scott wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 23:31:39 -0000, Jules Richardson
wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 20:22:28 +0000, dennis@home wrote:

On 26/11/2012 18:23, Lieutenant Scott wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 18:18:26 -0000, ARW
wrote:

Lieutenant Scott wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 07:57:58 -0000, dennis@home
wrote:
On 26/11/2012 00:10, Lieutenant Scott wrote:
On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 20:23:20 -0000, dennis@home
wrote:

On 25/11/2012 13:54, Bill wrote:
In message , fred
writes

Static ones are certainly illuminated with IR
floods and you get the plate lighting up with the
on axis reflection, just like cats eyes. Don't
know about the mobile ones but it would be a bit
of an omission if they didn't have them too.

I recently fitted an ANPR camera for a customer,
attached to their CCTV system. They are amazing,
even in bright sunlight there is next to no image. As
you say they have IR illumination and this is
reflected back from the number plate. The effect
is outstanding, the filter in front of the camera
basically only allows the IR frequency of light
through and the number plate shows perfectly, day
or night. The mobile ones do appear to have IR
illuminators too.

Its done to make sure the idiots that fit reflective
coatings on plates and other such junk get caught.

What's idiotic about avoiding the ****ing GATSOs?

Being idiotic enough to think they work! Looks like you
do.

How would people know they don't work?

And for your information I don't. I use a satnav so I slow
down before the gatso.

dennis will soon tell you that you should not have to slow
down for a GATSO
and that he believes that ALL vehicles should be linked via
GPS to limit their top speed to exactly the maximum allowed.

George Orwell, 1984.

He is talking crap.
I said it would record the event so the speeder could be fined and
disqualified.
There is no need for it to limit.

What if they exceeded the limit to avoid an accident due to no
fault of their own?

Considering an old woman got done for speeding while being scared of
a lorry tailgating her, yes they probably would.

Might as well throw an old joke into the thread.

An elderly lady was clocked at 95 mph in a 70 mph zone. The Highway Patrol
pulled her over.

Officer: "Good day are your aware you were doing 95 in a 70 mph zone?

Old lady: "OH I WAS NOT!".

Officer: "Madamn may I see your drivers license please?"

Old lady: "YOU KNOW I DON"T HAVE A LICENSE YOU TOOK THAT FROM ME LAST YEAR!"

Officer: " Mamm may I see your registration please?"

Old lady: "I CAN"T DO THAT OFFICER I JUST STOLE THIS CAR!"

Officer: Mamm you will have to step out of the car and open the trunk".

Old lady: "I CANT DO THAT EITHER OFFICER you see I just killed my husband
and he is in the trunk of the car".

At this point the officer reaches for his gun and calls for backup.

After the entire highway patrol reinforcements gathered around this vehicle
the Captain approches the car

Captain: " Good Afternoon mamm the officer that stoped you says you have no
licence.

Old lady: " OHHHH I DOOO TO!" and shows him her license all is in order.

Captain: " He also says you have no registration and that you stole this
car."

Old lady: " OHHHH I DOO TO HAVE REGISTRATION!" and produces a complete
registration all in order.

Captain: "Ahhh mamm he also says you have a dead body in the trunk".

Old lady: "AND I SUPPOSE HE SAYS I WAS SPEEDING TOO!"

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 25/11/2012 13:54, Bill wrote:
[...]

Long drawn out joke with a not very interesting punchline. 2/10.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

A great way to lose weight is to eat naked in front of a mirror. Restaurants will almost always throw you out before you can eat too much.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

If I'm in a foul mood and I forget my £1 coin, I go back to the car, grab a
huge pile of coppers, and go and change them in the supermarket.

Reminds me of my last attempt to shop at Morrisons. I had only cards
and no cash at all so went into the shop to ask how I could get a
trolley. They suggested buying something with a card and getting
cashback, then buying something with the cash to get the change and
then going to get the trolley to do the rest of my shop.

Needless to say I've never been back there.

The correct answer is of course a pair of bolt croppers

I love confusing people by offering to buy their empty trolley for a quid.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

This guy's in the rear of a full elevator and he shouts, "Ballroom please."
A lady standing in front of him turns around and says, "I'm sorry, I didn't realize I was crowding you."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 14:09:29 -0000, Man at B&Q wrote:

On Nov 27, 1:03 pm, "Lieutenant Scott" wrote:
On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 07:53:22 -0000, dennis@home wrote:
On 26/11/2012 23:42, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

Considering an old woman got done for speeding while being scared of a
lorry tailgating her, yes they probably would.

Its stupid to speed up if you are being tailgated.

You tailgate me and I will slow down.

And I would just ignore the tailgater, or allow him to pass.

The slowing down is to allow him to pass. If neccessary I will slow to
complete stop until the ****wit is out of harms way in fromt of me.

He is tailgating you BECAUSE you are going bloody slow.

If someone tailgates me, I feel guilty for holding him up, as I am obviously in a slower vehicle.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

If I were two faced, would I be wearing this one?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 13:56:23 -0000, tim..... wrote:

"Lieutenant Scott" wrote in message
newsp.woee4jdwytk5n5@i7-940...
On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 20:37:03 -0000, John Williamson
wrote:

Lieutenant Scott wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 20:09:23 -0000, Dave Liquorice
I suspect a "fine" has a specfic legal meaning and the parking co's
won't
be issuing a fine but a leving the charge as per the contract you
accept
by parking ...

Which they cannot enforce.

You might like to check on the recent changes in legislation in England.
Vehicles may no longer lawfully be clamped, but parking penalty charges
can be enforced through the civil courts, and failure to pay the fee
determined by the civil court is contempt of court, a criminal offence.
I believe that similar legislation has also been passed in Scotland and
Wales.

I find it hard to believe they changed the laws on parking twice at once,
in opposite directions!!

but they did

they wanted to outlaw clamping (to get rid of the rogues), but recognised
that there are some legitimate reason why people need to control parking on
their property so introduced an enforceable alternative (which they hope
can't just turn into a revenue stream like clamping did)

****ing capitalist *******s.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says, "dam".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newsp.woedq31iytk5n5@i7-940...
On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 20:09:23 -0000, Dave Liquorice
wrote:

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 18:26:35 -0000, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

You can. It is sometimes easier to just write a nice polite letter.

Quite, but some people are just confrontational ****s.

As far as I know, they aren't allowed to fine you anyway? So just
ignoring them completely should work fine.

I suspect a "fine" has a specfic legal meaning and the parking co's won't
be issuing a fine but a leving the charge as per the contract you accept
by parking ...

Which they cannot enforce.

As a matter of principle you are wrong.

As to the point at issue here (parking at the hotel) you may be correct

All I know is many people who got fines form motorway service station car parks threw the letters away and never got taken to court.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Why is Bin Laden like a pair of tights?
Because he irritates bush!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 13:45:10 -0000, tim..... wrote:

"Lieutenant Scott" wrote in message
newsp.woegl3jiytk5n5@i7-940...

I'll stick to supermarkets that don't require you to rent the trolleys.

In 99 out of 100 cases that will be the LA requiring you to rent the
trolley. The supermarkets don't do it because they like it.

It must be 1 in 100 here then, because of four supermarkets right next to each other, two lock the trolleys and two don't.

It's a supermarket choice I'm sure, the two that don't employ more staff, as there is often someone collecting trolleys from the bits in the middle of the car park and brining them to the bit next to the entrance to the shop.

I can't see why they bother, they should just leave the trolleys wherever they are dropped off by the customers, people man collect them from wherever they happen to be.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history--with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article op.wof3c81tytk5n5@i7-940,
Lieutenant Scott wrote:
On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 14:09:29 -0000, Man at B&Q wrote:

On Nov 27, 1:03 pm, "Lieutenant Scott" wrote:
On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 07:53:22 -0000, dennis@home wrote:
On 26/11/2012 23:42, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

Considering an old woman got done for speeding while being scared of a
lorry tailgating her, yes they probably would.

Its stupid to speed up if you are being tailgated.

You tailgate me and I will slow down.

And I would just ignore the tailgater, or allow him to pass.

The slowing down is to allow him to pass. If neccessary I will slow to
complete stop until the ****wit is out of harms way in fromt of me.

He is tailgating you BECAUSE you are going bloody slow.

Moost lilkely you are being tailgated by someone who is impatient. If I'm
doing 70mph in the outside lane and someone has come up fast beind me, I'll
pull over when I've finished overtaking the vehicles on the inner lane.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lieutenant Scott wrote:
[...]

Same here, unless I'm overtaking about 20 vehicles and going to take a while, then I'll pop in after half of them while he gets past.

I was thinking more of non-motorways though.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

FREE ONE DOLLAR BILLS!
(Please send $4.95 to cover posting and handling)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

8

He is talking crap.
I said it would record the event so the speeder could be fined and
disqualified.
There is no need for it to limit.

What if they exceeded the limit to avoid an accident due to no
fault of their own?

Why would they need to do that?
Its a common argument that people need to speed to avoid accidents but
there is never a convincing case given.

That just goes to show how stupid you are with your views on an absolute
speed limit.

It is often safer to overtake someone that is travelling below the speed
limit (or someone sticking to a speed limit that is lower than yours) by
exceeding the maximum speed limit for a short period whilst you overtake
them.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2012 10:48, Mark wrote:
On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 09:39:31 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 09:04:04 +0000, Mark wrote:

I'll stick to supermarkets that don't require you to rent the
trolleys.

If you can find one.

I'm trying to think of a grocery supermarket that requires trolley rent
around here and I'm failing. Does B&Q come under "supermarket"?

Tesco, Sainsburys, and Morrisons all use 'trolley rent'.

Round here Tesco and Asda don't, but Morrisons, Sainsburys, Aldi and
Waitrose do.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In that case, why didn't the firm just point this out and enforce the
'fine'?

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 13:59:53 -0000, "tim....."
wrote:

Your argument is complete false.

The DVLA are specifically allowed to sell the details of the keeper for this
use so there is no DPA misuse at all here.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Lieutenant Scott" wrote in message
newsp.woegl3jiytk5n5@i7-940...

I'll stick to supermarkets that don't require you to rent the trolleys.

In 99 out of 100 cases that will be the LA requiring you to rent the
trolley. The supermarkets don't do it because they like it.

It must be 1 in 100 here then, because of four supermarkets right next
to each other, two lock the trolleys and two don't.

It's a supermarket choice I'm sure, the two that don't employ more
staff, as there is often someone collecting trolleys from the bits in
the middle of the car park and brining them to the bit next to the
entrance to the shop.

I can't see why they bother, they should just leave the trolleys
wherever they are dropped off by the customers, people man collect them
from wherever they happen to be.

It'd be a bit annoying if you parked near the shop and all the trollies
wee at the other end of the car park, especially on a very rainy day; or
if the car park is almost full and trollies have been left in the
parking spaces.

Trollies also sometimes can be left by customers and then, if knocked or
there is a breeze can suddenly start rolling down the camber of the car
park and hit people's cars.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

If I'm in a foul mood and I forget my £1 coin, I go back to the car,
grab a
huge pile of coppers, and go and change them in the supermarket.

Reminds me of my last attempt to shop at Morrisons. I had only cards
and no cash at all so went into the shop to ask how I could get a
trolley. They suggested buying something with a card and getting
cashback, then buying something with the cash to get the change and
then going to get the trolley to do the rest of my shop.

Needless to say I've never been back there.

I would have lost my temper with someone who suggested such a longwinded
method.

Couldn't they just give you a quid off your card? If it was a debit
card it's just a cash withdrawal. If it was a credit card they might
have wanted to charge you a small fee for the bank.

Maybe I look trustworthy, but on a couple of occassions, the
supermarkets have lent me a pound coin, trusting me to take it back
afterwards. The local swimming baths has done the same for the lockers.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

People who park near th shop would take the trolley from the shop and put it back at the shop.

People who park further away can collect a trolley from up there and return it up there. There is no need for trolley migration.

Trollies also sometimes can be left by customers and then, if knocked or
there is a breeze can suddenly start rolling down the camber of the car
park and hit people's cars.

The trolley parks should be sloped or have a ridge at the edge.

And the most you'll get is a scratch, it's not like your car is made of glass.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

What is the difference between a battery and a woman?
A battery has a positive side.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 18:26:35 -0000, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

The parking co. quickly accepted a copy of my hotel bill
and dropped their over stay parking charge.

Why didn't you just tell them to get ****ed?

That's what I did but politely. If they had persued it I'd
have happily gone to court and got costs etc...

It was my understanding you can just ignore them and not pay,
you don't even have to reply to them.

You can. It is sometimes easier to just write a nice polite
letter.

Quite, but some people are just confrontational ****s.

I do make an exception for the TVLA as I believe that THEY are a bunch of
confrontational ****s:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

If I was them I wouldn't trust anyone (not to forget).

I must try that and see if I look trustworthy.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Did you know that dolphins are so intelligent that within only a few weeks of captivity, they can train humans to stand at the edge of the pool and throw them fish?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2012 09:41, Dave Liquorice wrote:
I've used the Parent & Child spaces when taking my father shopping and
all the disabled ones were taken (he had a Blue Badge). I was quite
looking forward to being challenged either by a parent or the store but I
wasn't.

Why would you be? You were a parent and child weren't you? There's no
age limit AFAIK...

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/2012 22:39, ARW wrote:
Main mirror?

What do you call the one in the middle that isn't on the wing/door?

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2012 19:49, Lieutenant Scott wrote:
And the most you'll get is a scratch, it's not like your car is made of
glass.

A trolley full of shopping running down a hill can make quite a big
dent. Which BTW is probably cheaper to fix than a scratch.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ wrote:
On 26/11/2012 22:39, ARW wrote:
Main mirror?

What do you call the one in the middle that isn't on the wing/door?

The interior mirror. Or, on my Land Rover, the bit on the windscreen
where there used to be one until a couple of decades ago.

Even driving a normal car, I hardly ever use it.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 20:18:35 -0000, Andy Champ wrote:

On 27/11/2012 19:49, Lieutenant Scott wrote:
And the most you'll get is a scratch, it's not like your car is made of
glass.

A trolley full of shopping running down a hill can make quite a big
dent. Which BTW is probably cheaper to fix than a scratch.

Firstly, I've never seen a supermarket with a hill step enough to make a trolley go faster than 1-2mph.

Secondly, I wouldn't fix a dent. I'm not one of those scammers who tries to get £100s of someone's insurance to replace a whole wing just cause of a dent.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

My penis is 12 inches long, but I don't use it as a rule.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

They haven't confronted me. But I would agree they are a ****ing waste of space.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

What the best way to get a guy to stop smoking after sex?
Fill his waterbed with gasoline.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
RJH RJH is offline

On 26/11/2012 10:03, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On 26 Nov 2012 09:19:38 GMT, Huge wrote:

I keep meaning to mount a photographic flashgun facing backwards in the
rear window for the benefit of tailgaters, especially those with main
beams on.

Wouldn't need to be a flash gun just a brief burst froma and LED torch.
I'd also use it for those horribly hard cut off HIDs. Mate has a Merc
with those he followed me out of Dumfries the other night, every single
large bump in the road and it seemed he was flashing his lights.
Fortunately being in a Discovery by the time he was behind me I can't see
headlights at all, but I'd hate to have been in a lower car.

Mentioned it to him and he got, and still is, most defensive. But did
complain that my main beam wasn't enough for him to over take? Eh? if his
lights are so good he doesn't need to use mine! I suspect it's the hard
cut off, he has a pool of brightness, that reduces his night vision, and
there is nothing beyond the cut off. Normal halogen headlights have some
spill that illuminate, to some extent, beyound the cut off.

Why didn't he use his own main beam?!

My eyes aren't fantastic and I find the xenon factory fit lights superb.
I agree about the cut off - but everything within the dipped beam is
very well lit up. On main beam it's a bit of a 'ball of light' with IMO
insufficient lateral cover. But it throws light into the distance superbly.

And while they're supposed to autolevel on bumps and so forth (not just
vehicle load) I'm pretty sure it's not that effective.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Andy Champ wrote:
On 26/11/2012 22:39, ARW wrote:
Main mirror?

What do you call the one in the middle that isn't on the wing/door?

I drive a van that has no rear windows and there is no middle mirror.

As it does not exist I have decided not to give it a name.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2012 18:54, charles wrote:

Moost lilkely you are being tailgated by someone who is impatient. If I'm
doing 70mph in the outside lane and someone has come up fast beind me, I'll
pull over when I've finished overtaking the vehicles on the inner lane.

Same here unless he has his blue flashers on, then I will accelerate to
90, pass and pull in.
They really don't want you slowing down to pull in.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 27/11/2012 19:49, Lieutenant Scott wrote:
And the most you'll get is a scratch, it's not like your car is made of
glass.

A trolley full of shopping running down a hill can make quite a big
dent. Which BTW is probably cheaper to fix than a scratch.

Firstly, I've never seen a supermarket with a hill step enough to make a
trolley go faster than 1-2mph.

Secondly, I wouldn't fix a dent. I'm not one of those scammers who
tries to get £100s of someone's insurance to replace a whole wing just
cause of a dent.

Sheltered life. Aside from the slopes in multi-storey car parks, at
least one major supermarket here has a significant slope across most of
their car park.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 03:48:49 -0800, whisky-dave wrote:

On Tuesday, November 27, 2012 11:35:49 AM UTC, Scion wrote:
Arfa Daily spake thus:

My son got a ticket sent to him as a result of one of those. He
entered

the car park by one entrance, and left by another.

There's the problem. Had he left by an *exit* he would have been OK :-)

I have the same approach with my students, when I see them strugging to
pull the door open I say if you read the instructions on the door which
says "push" it'll be easier to open :-) hours of fun

Same with my students!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org