Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default And now I've seen it all ...

On 27/11/2012 20:16, Andy Champ wrote:
On 27/11/2012 09:41, Dave Liquorice wrote:
I've used the Parent & Child spaces when taking my father shopping and
all the disabled ones were taken (he had a Blue Badge). I was quite
looking forward to being challenged either by a parent or the store but I
wasn't.

Why would you be? You were a parent and child weren't you? There's no
age limit AFAIK...

There are actually terms and conditions to using them. They generally
refer to a cut-off age of five - Tesco and Sainsburys definitely had
this, as they used to (maybe still do) have a registration scheme and
Tesco used to issue badges (this is from 9 years ago).

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 20:16:58 +0000, Andy Champ wrote:

I've used the Parent & Child spaces when taking my father shopping and
all the disabled ones were taken (he had a Blue Badge). I was quite
looking forward to being challenged either by a parent or the store
but I wasn't.

Why would you be? You were a parent and child weren't you?

Because some dumb ass would think that "Parent & Child" means an adult
and person less than 10 or something.

There's no age limit AFAIK...

I don't know but use of "parent & child" makes sense at the age extremes
but probably not with normal fit & healthy people with the parent age of
40 and child of 20...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2012 09:41, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 02:18:36 +0000, wrote:

My mother now in her 80's doesn't find walking too far that easily
recently but probably wouldn't qualify for a disabled badge just yet.
I threatened the other day to park in a Parent and Child place but was
stopped more by her protestations of embarrassment more than anything
else.

I've used the Parent & Child spaces when taking my father shopping and
all the disabled ones were taken (he had a Blue Badge). I was quite
looking forward to being challenged either by a parent or the store but I
wasn't.

That's something that annoys me (and I have in the past had reason to
use a blue badge frequently when taking my mother-in-law out).

One supermarket that we used to use had twice as many disabled spaces as
parent and child ones. With a combination of my wife's car (inherited
from her father) being a three door and her having a bad back, the long
doors made it nigh on impossible to get a child seat and child in and
out of the back without the extra width of a parent and child space.
Regularly, she would go to the supermarket and find all the places
taken; a number by blue badge holders who couldn't be bothered to wait a
short while for a space to become free. Yet as spaces became free in the
blue badge section, she couldn't in turn take one of them. With a very
young child starting screaming in the back because the motion of the car
had ceased, yet unable to park, get him out and settle him, she had to
abandon the trips and return home a number of times.

At another location near here, Toys-R-Us, Mothercare, Boots and a sports
shop are all together, where you would expect many parents with young
children and there are eight parent and child spaces and twenty-four
disabled spaces and the same thing happens - despite many of the
disabled spaces being free.

If someone's condition means that they cannot wait - urgent need for the
toilet or an anxiety related mental health problem for example, then
fair enough - but otherwise, I do feel it is unfair to take over the
often limited places available for parents and children and that blue
badge holders should wait for a space to become free just like anyone
else has to.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 19:49:17 -0000, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

Trollies also sometimes can be left by customers and then, if knocked
or there is a breeze can suddenly start rolling down the camber of the
car park and hit people's cars.

snip
And the most you'll get is a scratch, it's not like your car is made of
glass.

Some people are extremely precious about their cars, brush past in a soft
coat and they'll go ape ****.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 21:57:12 -0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 19:49:17 -0000, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

Trollies also sometimes can be left by customers and then, if knocked
or there is a breeze can suddenly start rolling down the camber of the
car park and hit people's cars.

snip
And the most you'll get is a scratch, it's not like your car is made of
glass.

Some people are extremely precious about their cars, brush past in a soft
coat and they'll go ape ****.

That's why I'm not careful opening my car door, to see if I can find such a person.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

My friend drowned in a bowl of muesli - a strong currant pulled him in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 22:39:55 -0000, Tim Streater wrote:

In article op.woga3zfeytk5n5@i7-940, "Lieutenant Scott"
wrote:

Then park strategically if you own a Rolls, otherwise stop grumbling about
insignificant things.

[18 lines of .sig snipped]

Can I complain about the length of your ****ing sig then - that's
certainly significant.

No it isn't. You don't have to read it, and the -- causes it to go away when you reply.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful god, who creates faulty humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes -- Gene Roddenberry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Other Mike" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 01:48:50 -0800 (PST), "Man at B&Q"

wrote:

On Nov 27, 9:43 am, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 09:04:04 +0000, Mark wrote:
I'll stick to supermarkets that don't require you to rent the
trolleys.

If you can find one.

I'm trying to think of a grocery supermarket that requires trolley rent
around here and I'm failing.

Lots round here.

They are apparently more common in pikey areas. A quid for a trolley is
cheap
though, new they are nearer a hundred.

Saves the supermarkets having to employ a trolley-rounder-upper ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim....." wrote in message

"Java Jive" wrote in message
Again, IMO this IS a clear breach of the DPA - how do they know who
the registered keeper is? (S)he has committed no criminal offence, so
the 'official' DVLA and police systems can not be used 'officially',
so that leaves the databases used to quote for insurance purposes,
which is a use not intended by consumers when they volunteer the data.

For some time I have had a dodgy back, which recently has become so
bad that I frequently have to lift myself into my car by grabbing the
roof-rail, to do which I need to guarantee to be able to open the door
fully. Consequently, when I can't find an end space, I often park in
the Disabled or Parents With Children bays of supermarket car parks,
though, as walking is not a problem to me, I always choose the
furthest from the store.

Sainsbury's car parks are run by a third party organisation, and they
tried to 'do' me for this to the tune of £75 or thereabouts. However,
when I wrote to them explaining that IMO they were in breach of the
DPA, and that I had no intention of paying unless they could explain
how they had acquired in a legal manner knowledge of the registered
keeper, although they never openly admitted a breach, the threatening
letters stopped, and the matter was quietly dropped - I never heard
any more about it.

Your argument is complete false.

The DVLA are specifically allowed to sell the details of the keeper for
this use so there is no DPA misuse at all here.

tim

Slight qualification to that. They are specifically allowed to sell the
details to companies registered (and supposedly approved) to request them.
There has been much controversy over this of late, with parking companies
being run by convicted fraudsters and the like, gaining approval with no
background checking.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article op.wof3c81tytk5n5@i7-940,
Lieutenant Scott wrote:
On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 14:09:29 -0000, Man at B&Q
wrote:

On Nov 27, 1:03 pm, "Lieutenant Scott" wrote:
On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 07:53:22 -0000, dennis@home
wrote:
On 26/11/2012 23:42, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

Considering an old woman got done for speeding while being scared
of a
lorry tailgating her, yes they probably would.

Its stupid to speed up if you are being tailgated.

You tailgate me and I will slow down.

And I would just ignore the tailgater, or allow him to pass.

The slowing down is to allow him to pass. If neccessary I will slow to
complete stop until the ****wit is out of harms way in fromt of me.

He is tailgating you BECAUSE you are going bloody slow.

Moost lilkely you are being tailgated by someone who is impatient. If I'm
doing 70mph in the outside lane and someone has come up fast beind me,
I'll
pull over when I've finished overtaking the vehicles on the inner lane.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

This morning I was in a van being driven by my son. We were on a main road
heading to his new house. A woman pulled out in front of us in some little
piece of crap that should have had a key sticking up out of the boot, and
proceeded to hold us up for the next three miles at just over 20 mph. We
tailgated her to a distance of about 1 inch, but she was completely unfazed.
No nervous looking in the mirror, no weaving about in consternation -
nothing. Except of course random touching of the brakes every time the car
half a mile in front of her slowed down a tad. We would have gone past her,
except that whole stretch of road is a bit up and down, so has double whites
up the centre for a few miles.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:
Unfortunately, many
modern headlamp units are so awkwardly located that bulb replacement
can only be carried out by feel. In these cases, it is perfectly
possible to get the bulb in place such that at least one of the
locating tangs is not in its slot.

It's possible to cross thread a nut too.

Your point being ? Many people *do* cross-thread nuts, just like many
people mis-fit headlight bulbs ...

And leave it like that?

Because the retaining clip is only made of a thin gauge spring steel
wire, it is vanishingly easy to force it back into its clip, thus
holding the bulb in its seat at an angle. The result of this is a
beam pointing either at the ditch, or the moon

And you'd leave it like that till the next MOT?

No, *I* wouldn't, because I know how to fit them correctly. Sadly, I
appear to be in a minority ...

The vast majority of vehicles I see with headlights that 'dazzle' ain't
just one headlight, but both. So my opinion is it's down to poor headlight
design and or setting - not an owner changing a bulb incorrectly.

--
*Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Well then, you must have a different breed of car owner in SW London.
Perhaps they are all wealthy enough to just have a decent garage change
their bulbs. Tonight, I drove the short distance to my local Tesco, and just
for sport, counted all the wrongly aligned headlamps - that's just one, not
both so definitely an alignment issue rather than a height or main beam
issue. I would guess that I encountered perhaps 30 vehicles over the 3 miles
of country road before I got close to the store on the main road. I counted
4 cars and one bus that each had one light pointing normally, and the other
right in my face. How would you explain that, if not by incorrect fitting of
bulbs ?

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
The vast majority of vehicles I see with headlights that 'dazzle' ain't
just one headlight, but both. So my opinion is it's down to poor
headlight design and or setting - not an owner changing a bulb
incorrectly.

Or the driver not having a clue what that small Blue indicator light is

Pretty rare. I'm talking about dip beam dazzle.

Again, you must live in a funny area. 'Accidental' main beam blinding is so
common now - at least around here - compared to only a few years ago, when
it mostly was genuinely accidental.

Arfa

--
*All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Tuesday, November 27, 2012 2:26:40 PM UTC, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,

whisky-dave wrote:

On Tuesday, November 27, 2012 12:56:29 PM UTC, John Williamson wrote:

Man at B&Q wrote:

On Nov 27, 11:14 am, whisky-dave wrote:

On Monday, November 26, 2012 5:48:07 PM UTC,

wrote:

Bill wrote:

say "Come On", "Thanks" and so on isn't causing lamp failures. I

thought that when you apply volts to a cold filament, there is a

sudden rush of amps.

I thought they'd made a law against that sort of thing, isn't it
called

Ohms law ;-)

Which bit of ohm's law do you think is being broken?

He doesn't seem to be aware that the resistance of a lamp filament

increases greatly as its temperature rises from ambient to operating

temperature.

yes I do actually in fact I've plotted such results for an experiment
we were

going to run in the lab years ago, although this was for a standard
'house'

light bulb rather than a halogen of car headlamp bulb.

So for me it's not a sudden inrush of amps as I'd fully expect it.

I'm not sure if flashing them is the cause of their failure I know car

indictors don;t fail because of flashing but then again they are
underrated

as their prime job isn't illumination.

I believ a friedn problem with his halogens in the kitchen is due to

vibration from upstairs as he seems to be replacing bulbs too often.

You and I both know that this is what generates the switch on surge.

I'd say it causes a surge rather than generates it.

But each to his own.

Words like "sudden rush" and "surge" are meaningless in this context,

except to the extent that they apply to any circuit when you apply

volts.

Apply Potential differnce

Current will flow according to the resistance at any given

instant, that's all.

Well not just resitsance but inductance too, but I don't think that occurs
in car headlamps or any bulb to any degree.

Yep in accordence with ohms laws that's way I said it in the first place
in that who is breaking ohms law ?

you see I couldn't work out what part of ohms law was being broken by a
"surge of amps".

If I apply 240V to a one meg resistor, there will be "a sudden rush" of

0.24mA or so, to match the voltage I applied.

But is it sudden ?, I think not, and what do you mean by match the
voltage.
Not sure if your 240V is AC or DC though as that could change things.

Every time anything is conencted to a voltage that is capable of conducing
current will flow, whether or not you se that as a sudden rush I guess is
up to the observer.

--

Tim

The terms 'sudden' and 'rush' when referring to a current draw condition in
a circuit, are usually used to indicate that it is a current that is subject
to a predictable change that is being talked about, rather than a
steady-state current that some here are citing. Typically, this will mean a
current that starts (often very) high and gently declines over some finite
period of time. This can be as a result of the increasing resistance of a
bulb filament as it goes from cold to hot, the increasing resistance of an
inrush limiting thermistor as it heats up, or the charging current of a
large power supply main filter cap.

All cases obey Ohm's law, though ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 26/11/2012 23:42, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

Considering an old woman got done for speeding while being
scared of a
lorry tailgating her, yes they probably would.

Its stupid to speed up if you are being tailgated.

You tailgate me and I will slow down.

And I would just ignore the tailgater, or allow him to pass.

The slowing down is to allow him to pass. If neccessary I will slow to
complete stop until the ****wit is out of harms way in fromt of me.

He is tailgating you BECAUSE you are going bloody slow.

Moost lilkely you are being tailgated by someone who is impatient. If I'm
doing 70mph in the outside lane and someone has come up fast beind me,
I'll
pull over when I've finished overtaking the vehicles on the inner lane.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

This morning I was in a van being driven by my son. We were on a main
road heading to his new house. A woman pulled out in front of us in some
little piece of crap that should have had a key sticking up out of the
boot, and proceeded to hold us up for the next three miles at just over
20 mph. We tailgated her to a distance of about 1 inch, but she was
completely unfazed. No nervous looking in the mirror, no weaving about
in consternation - nothing. Except of course random touching of the
brakes every time the car half a mile in front of her slowed down a tad.
We would have gone past her, except that whole stretch of road is a bit
up and down, so has double whites up the centre for a few miles.

Arfa

There is a solution to someone who tailgates like that..

you get your camera phone out and take a couple of short videos showing
the persistant tailgating.
You stop sudenly (and reverse into the tailgater if needed).
you phone for an ambulance.
you show the proof it was the tailgaters fault when the police turn up
as they will when an ambulance has been called.

its an old scam and there is nothing the tailgater can do except get
charged.

So beware of odd driving in old cars.

You wouldn't have been doing 20 mph if it were me as I would have
stopped and explained to you why it is necessary to get slower when you
are being tailgated (or maybe just I would let your tyre down).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

I think it must be you who lives in an odd area. I drove 8 miles last
night in fairly heavy traffic and did not see a single vehicle with
misaligned headlamps.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 09:04:04 +0000, Mark wrote:
I'll stick to supermarkets that don't require you to rent the
trolleys.

If you can find one.

I'm trying to think of a grocery supermarket that requires trolley rent
around here and I'm failing.

Lots round here.

They are apparently more common in pikey areas. A quid for a trolley is
cheap
though, new they are nearer a hundred.

Saves the supermarkets having to employ a trolley-rounder-upper ...

Waitrose have a different technique; their trolleys lock the wheels
if you attempt to take them too far.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 01:59:34 -0000, Arfa Daily wrote:

Saves the supermarkets having to employ a trolley-rounder-upper ...

Thought the country needed jobs for people to do.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You're liable to get ****ted with an attitude like that.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 19:42:01 +0000, SteveW
wrote:

On 27/11/2012 13:06, Lieutenant Scott wrote:
On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 09:07:47 -0000, Mark
wrote:

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 23:24:39 -0000, "Lieutenant Scott"
wrote:

If I'm in a foul mood and I forget my £1 coin, I go back to the car,
grab a
huge pile of coppers, and go and change them in the supermarket.

Reminds me of my last attempt to shop at Morrisons. I had only cards
and no cash at all so went into the shop to ask how I could get a
trolley. They suggested buying something with a card and getting
cashback, then buying something with the cash to get the change and
then going to get the trolley to do the rest of my shop.

Needless to say I've never been back there.

I would have lost my temper with someone who suggested such a longwinded
method.

Couldn't they just give you a quid off your card? If it was a debit
card it's just a cash withdrawal. If it was a credit card they might
have wanted to charge you a small fee for the bank.

Maybe I look trustworthy, but on a couple of occassions, the
supermarkets have lent me a pound coin, trusting me to take it back
afterwards.

This did happen at Sainsburys so I still use them.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 21:25:39 +0000, SteveW
wrote:

On 27/11/2012 20:16, Andy Champ wrote:
On 27/11/2012 09:41, Dave Liquorice wrote:
I've used the Parent & Child spaces when taking my father shopping and
all the disabled ones were taken (he had a Blue Badge). I was quite
looking forward to being challenged either by a parent or the store but I
wasn't.

Why would you be? You were a parent and child weren't you? There's no
age limit AFAIK...

There are actually terms and conditions to using them. They generally
refer to a cut-off age of five - Tesco and Sainsburys definitely had
this, as they used to (maybe still do) have a registration scheme and
Tesco used to issue badges (this is from 9 years ago).

The pushchair symbol painted on the ground and on the signs is a hint
;-)
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 27/11/2012 20:16, Andy Champ wrote:
On 27/11/2012 09:41, Dave Liquorice wrote:
I've used the Parent & Child spaces when taking my father shopping and
all the disabled ones were taken (he had a Blue Badge). I was quite
looking forward to being challenged either by a parent or the store but I
wasn't.

Why would you be? You were a parent and child weren't you? There's no
age limit AFAIK...

There are actually terms and conditions to using them. They generally
refer to a cut-off age of five - Tesco and Sainsburys definitely had
this, as they used to (maybe still do) have a registration scheme and
Tesco used to issue badges (this is from 9 years ago).

The pushchair symbol painted on the ground and on the signs is a hint
;-)

:-) indeed!

On the other hand, the wheelchair symbol can be *very* misleading. There
are plenty of people who appear perfectly able to stand and walk (and
therefore do not need wheelchairs) but do need to use bays for disabled.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 01:59:34 -0000, Arfa Daily wrote:

Saves the supermarkets having to employ a trolley-rounder-upper ...

Thought the country needed jobs for people to do.

Even the trolley renters employ a trolley rounder-upper or two, to put
the trolleys back where they're wanted. People tend to pick them up from
the pen nearest to the shop entrance and drop them off at the pen
nearest to their car. At our local Morrisons, the guy does a steady
wander round during the whole of his shift doing that and picking up
litter from where people have stripped the outside packing off the
multipacks before loading them into their car.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 09:04:04 +0000, Mark wrote:
I'll stick to supermarkets that don't require you to rent the
trolleys.

If you can find one.

I'm trying to think of a grocery supermarket that requires trolley
rent around here and I'm failing.

Lots round here.

They are apparently more common in pikey areas. A quid for a trolley
is cheap though, new they are nearer a hundred.

Saves the supermarkets having to employ a trolley-rounder-upper ...

Waitrose have a different technique; their trolleys lock the wheels if
you attempt to take them too far.

so does our nearest Sainsburys.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 09:11:13 +0000, Mark wrote:

The pushchair symbol painted on the ground and on the signs is a hint
;-)

My father would use a wheelchair...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 09:11:13 +0000, Mark wrote:

The pushchair symbol painted on the ground and on the signs is a hint
;-)

My father would use a wheelchair...

there used to be a sign on the London Underground escalators which read
"Dogs must be carried". What did you do if you didn't have a dog with you?
Would someone hire you one?

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 09:28:59 +0000 (GMT), charles
wrote:

wrote:
On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 09:04:04 +0000, Mark wrote:
I'll stick to supermarkets that don't require you to rent the
trolleys.

If you can find one.

I'm trying to think of a grocery supermarket that requires trolley
rent around here and I'm failing.

Lots round here.

They are apparently more common in pikey areas. A quid for a trolley
is cheap though, new they are nearer a hundred.

Saves the supermarkets having to employ a trolley-rounder-upper ...

Waitrose have a different technique; their trolleys lock the wheels if
you attempt to take them too far.

so does our nearest Sainsburys.

It's a shame these stores don't have some consistency. At least you'd
know what to expect.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2012 10:49, Mark wrote:

It's a shame these stores don't have some consistency. At least you'd
know what to expect.

A bit more consistent than most things in this world! A binary choice of
"needs pound coin" or "does not need pound coin" covers every
supermarket/trolley combo I can think of. :-)

Including the ones where some trolleys at an individual supermarket need
a coin and others do not.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:
I counted 4 cars and one bus that each had one light pointing normally,
and the other right in my face. How would you explain that, if not by
incorrect fitting of bulbs ?

Accident damage? Body shops may fit a new unit, but not set the beam
correctly. Motorised units where one has failed. And wouldn't the bus have
the bulb replaced by a pro?

--
*It's o.k. to laugh during sexŒ.Œ.just don't point!

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:
Pretty rare. I'm talking about dip beam dazzle.

Again, you must live in a funny area. 'Accidental' main beam blinding is
so common now - at least around here - compared to only a few years
ago, when it mostly was genuinely accidental.

I'm mainly referring to town use, since I live in London.

--
*Tell me to 'stuff it' - I'm a taxidermist.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mark
writes
Waitrose have a different technique; their trolleys lock the wheels if
you attempt to take them too far.

so does our nearest Sainsburys.

Don't they just lock the wheels as you go over an activating pad? (I
can't see them fitting some sort of proximity device to activate the
locks.) If you were serious about borrowing one you could simply lift
the locking wheels over.

--
Simon

12) The Second Rule of Expectations
An EXPECTATION is a Premeditated resentment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , polygonum
writes
On 28/11/2012 10:49, Mark wrote:

It's a shame these stores don't have some consistency. At least you'd
know what to expect.

A bit more consistent than most things in this world! A binary choice
of "needs pound coin" or "does not need pound coin" covers every
supermarket/trolley combo I can think of. :-)

Including the ones where some trolleys at an individual supermarket
need a coin and others do not.

At our local Sainsbury's the guy who returns the parked trolleys to the
front of store uses a metal knife to push the connecting pins out. I've
never been tempted to try the technique, partly due to never having
found a need to carry such a knife in public and partly due to the
quantity of fellow shoppers and CCTVs.

--
Simon

12) The Second Rule of Expectations
An EXPECTATION is a Premeditated resentment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 26/11/2012 23:42, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

Considering an old woman got done for speeding while being
scared of a
lorry tailgating her, yes they probably would.

Its stupid to speed up if you are being tailgated.

You tailgate me and I will slow down.

And I would just ignore the tailgater, or allow him to pass.

The slowing down is to allow him to pass. If neccessary I will slow to
complete stop until the ****wit is out of harms way in fromt of me.

He is tailgating you BECAUSE you are going bloody slow.

Moost lilkely you are being tailgated by someone who is impatient. If I'm
doing 70mph in the outside lane and someone has come up fast beind me,
I'll
pull over when I've finished overtaking the vehicles on the inner lane.

--
From KT24

[...]

And when you stopped he would have simply driven round you.
The arsehole is the one holding someone up, not the tailgater.
What makes you think just because you are a slow **** that you have the right to make everyone else go at your speed?

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Freeze mother stickers, this is a **** up!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 21:57:12 -0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 19:49:17 -0000, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

Trollies also sometimes can be left by customers and then, if knocked
or there is a breeze can suddenly start rolling down the camber of the
car park and hit people's cars.
snip
And the most you'll get is a scratch, it's not like your car is made of
glass.

Some people are extremely precious about their cars, brush past in a soft
coat and they'll go ape ****.

That's why I'm not careful opening my car door, to see if I can find such a person.

You're liable to get ****ted with an attitude like that.

Good. Assault carries a much larger charge than accidentally hitting a car with your door.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Backup not found. A)bort, R)etry or P)anic?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lieutenant Scott wrote:
And when you stopped he would have simply driven round you.
The arsehole is the one holding someone up, not the tailgater.
What makes you think just because you are a slow **** that you have the
right to make everyone else go at your speed?

It's amusing how many tailgaters insist on passing me in bad weather,
then find out that I am, in fact going faster than they think it is safe
to do so when they're the one "at point", so to speak.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2012 12:09, usenet2012 wrote:

At our local Sainsbury's the guy who returns the parked trolleys to the
front of store uses a metal knife to push the connecting pins out. I've
never been tempted to try the technique, partly due to never having
found a need to carry such a knife in public and partly due to the
quantity of fellow shoppers and CCTVs.

They make special tools to do that, are you sure its a knife?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 12:06:39 +0000, usenet2012
wrote:

In message , Mark
writes
Waitrose have a different technique; their trolleys lock the wheels if
you attempt to take them too far.

so does our nearest Sainsburys.

Don't they just lock the wheels as you go over an activating pad? (I
can't see them fitting some sort of proximity device to activate the
locks.)

Probably.

If you were serious about borrowing one you could simply lift
the locking wheels over.

I guess they rely on people not bothering to do this.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 21:57:12 -0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 19:49:17 -0000, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

Trollies also sometimes can be left by customers and then, if knocked
or there is a breeze can suddenly start rolling down the camber of the
car park and hit people's cars.
snip
And the most you'll get is a scratch, it's not like your car is made of
glass.

Some people are extremely precious about their cars, brush past in a soft
coat and they'll go ape ****.

That's why I'm not careful opening my car door, to see if I can find such a person.

You're liable to get ****ted with an attitude like that.

Good. Assault carries a much larger charge than accidentally hitting a car with your door.

I'm sure that will give you great confort in hospital.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2012 12:25, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

You wouldn't have been doing 20 mph if it were me as I would have
stopped and explained to you why it is necessary to get slower when you
are being tailgated (or maybe just I would let your tyre down).

And when you stopped he would have simply driven round you.
The arsehole is the one holding someone up, not the tailgater.
What makes you think just because you are a slow **** that you have the
right to make everyone else go at your speed?

You have to drive safely, you can't do that when an aresole is
tailgating you and maintain a reasonable speed.
So tailgaters slow the traffic down.
Anyone with common sense would understand that.