Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default And now I've seen it all ...

In message , Nightjar
writes
On 26/11/2012 15:00, Jules Richardson wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 10:33:46 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:
And there are car parks on the Suffolk coast where you have to type in
the three digits from your number plate.

Do they have to be in the same order as on the number plate? :-)

Is a car park private[1] land? i.e. could someone in theory slap dummy
plates on as soon as they're off the road and then put the real plates
back on before leaving again, and still remain within the law?

[1] I think supermarket ones have been legally shown not to be (although
quite why, I'm not sure). But I don't know if that extends to all car
parks...

As a general rule, if a road is open for use by the general public,
then it is usually governed by most traffic law. It does not matter
whether the road is privately or publicly owned and the definition of
road can include car parks and things that do not immediately come to
mind as roads, such as bridleways and footpaths.

Byways certainly but I doubt road traffic laws extend to bridleways or
footpaths where the landowner may have granted permission for vehicular
use.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Bill wrote:
In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In many cars nowadays, the headlamps are not user replaceable
because you have to remove other parts of the engine to get to
them. That maybe why so many cars now drive with a headlamp out.

I've been wondering whether the modern fetish for flashing lights to
say "Come On", "Thanks" and so on isn't causing lamp failures. I
thought that when you apply volts to a cold filament, there is a
sudden rush of amps.

It's a wonder that indicator lamps work on any car other than a BMW
then.................

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Lieutenant Scott wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 12:29:52 -0000, Dave Liquorice
wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 11:45:22 -0000, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

The parking co. quickly accepted a copy of my hotel bill and
dropped their over stay parking charge.

Why didn't you just tell them to get ****ed?

That's what I did but politely. If they had persued it I'd have
happily gone to court and got costs etc...

It was my understanding you can just ignore them and not pay, you
don't even have to reply to them.

You can. It is sometimes easier to just write a nice polite letter. I would
imagine if such a matter ended in court and it was shown that your first
line of defence was a letter to the car parking company telling them to get
****ed then you may not get your full costs awarded.

When the ex gf was reported for letting her dog foul the pavement it was
much more fun to send a nice polite letter explaining that she did not have
a dog and that she totally agreed with the councils views on dog fouling as
she had a young child who she would not want to step in dog ****.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

D.M.Chapman wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

Interestingly, the Police ANPR cameras log every single number
plate & only flag up the ones without tax etc.

That part ****es me right off.

They know who hasn't got tax, MOT, insurance. They had the law
changed so you need to declare a SORN if offroad, so the perps
cannot use that as an excuse.

So all they need to do is visit a fine on the registered keeper and
take it from there.

That's kinda assuming they vehicles are registered to a keeper... I
suspect many of them are "anonymous".

Or registered to the "wrong" person for fun.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Lieutenant Scott wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 07:57:58 -0000, dennis@home
wrote:
On 26/11/2012 00:10, Lieutenant Scott wrote:
On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 20:23:20 -0000, dennis@home
wrote:

On 25/11/2012 13:54, Bill wrote:
In message , fred writes

Static ones are certainly illuminated with IR floods and
you get the plate lighting up with the on axis reflection,
just like cats eyes. Don't know about the mobile ones but
it would be a bit of an omission if they didn't have them
too.

I recently fitted an ANPR camera for a customer, attached to
their CCTV system. They are amazing, even in bright
sunlight there is next to no image. As you say they have IR
illumination and this is reflected back from the number
plate. The effect is outstanding, the filter in front of the
camera basically only allows the IR frequency of light
through and the number plate shows perfectly, day or night. The
mobile ones do appear to have IR illuminators too.

Its done to make sure the idiots that fit reflective coatings
on plates and other such junk get caught.

What's idiotic about avoiding the ****ing GATSOs?

Being idiotic enough to think they work!
Looks like you do.

How would people know they don't work?

And for your information I don't. I use a satnav so I slow down
before the gatso.

dennis will soon tell you that you should not have to slow down for a GATSO
and that he believes that ALL vehicles should be linked via GPS to limit
their top speed to exactly the maximum allowed.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 25/11/2012 13:54, Bill wrote:
[...]

George Orwell, 1984.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

If you are having sex with TWO women and ONE more woman walks in, what do you have?
Divorce proceedings, most likely.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/2012 17:47, Tim Lamb wrote:
[...]

"The road user and the law

The following list can be found abbreviated throughout the Code. It is
not intended to be a comprehensive guide, but a guide to some of the
important points of law. For the precise wording of the law, please
refer to the various Acts and Regulations (as amended) indicated in the
Code. Abbreviations are listed below.

Most of the provisions apply on all roads throughout Great Britain,
although there are some exceptions. The definition of a road in England
and Wales is ‘any highway and any other road to which the public has
access and includes bridges over which a road passes’ (RTA 1988 sect
192(1)). In Scotland, there is a similar definition which is extended to
include any way over which the public have a right of passage (R(S)A
1984 sect 151(1)).

It is important to note that references to ‘road’ therefore generally
include footpaths, bridleways and cycle tracks, and many roadways and
driveways on private land (including many car parks). In most cases, the
law will apply to them and there may be additional rules for particular
paths or ways. Some serious driving offences, including drink-driving
offences, also apply to all public places, for example public car parks."

https://www.gov.uk/using-the-road-15...er-and-the-law

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 11:45:22 -0000, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

The parking co. quickly accepted a copy of my hotel bill and
dropped their over stay parking charge.

Why didn't you just tell them to get ****ed?

That's what I did but politely. If they had persued it I'd have
happily gone to court and got costs etc...

It was my understanding you can just ignore them and not pay, you
don't even have to reply to them.

You can. It is sometimes easier to just write a nice polite letter. I would
imagine if such a matter ended in court and it was shown that your first
line of defence was a letter to the car parking company telling them to get
****ed then you may not get your full costs awarded.

As far as I know, they aren't allowed to fine you anyway? So just ignoring them completely should work fine.

When the ex gf was reported for letting her dog foul the pavement it was
much more fun to send a nice polite letter explaining that she did not have
a dog and that she totally agreed with the councils views on dog fouling as
she had a young child who she would not want to step in dog ****.

I was banned from a running club after I was seen running along with my dog and tripping everyone up. I also have no dog, only parrots. I showed the owner photos of my parrots and asked if it was one of these? He sent me a photo of a man twice my age wearing the same number as me, running with a little dog.. When I pointed out the number had last year's date in the corner, I got a big apology and free entries.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

The 2 most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Lieutenant Scott wrote:
On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 07:27:10 -0000, harry
wrote:
On Nov 25, 2:03 am, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
Yes, I know I've had a bitch on here before about DIY headlight
repairs, but I swear it's getting worse year on year. Since the
evenings have got dark again, I've been blinded from the front
and dazzled from the rear so many times that I've lost count.
This is either because headlight bulbs have been fitted
incorrectly, or the cretins behind the wheel don't know what the
blue light on the dash means ... On top of this, on more than one
occasion, I've almost run into
the back of a motorbike that's turned out to be a car with the
offside tail light out. Today, I had to drive to another town some
thirty miles away, and
for most of the time it was more or less foggy. At least one in
three cars was not showing any lights. I think I saw about two
that were actually using their rear fog lights. Funny how drivers
always manage to find the tiresome things on a dark wet night
when they are guaranteed to dazzle you, but never have them on
when it's full daylight and thick fog ! Anyway, on the return trip, as
I passed the main county police
headquarters, a law car pulled out behind me. It had one
headlight pointing into the ditch, and the other up into my
rearview mirror. If it's now reached the point where even the
coppers can't keep their own vehicles legal, we might as well all
give up ... DIY headlight bulb replacement should be banned. You ought
have to take your car to approved garages where there is someone
trained and certified to change the wretched things correctly
:-(

Rant over ...

Arfa

The problem is not the replacing of bulbs.
It is the soft suspension of modern cars neccesitating headlight
adjusters that work from the dashboard which some people don't
bother with.

I don't see the problem. I make sure my adjuster is at highest when
I take it for an MOT. Then throughout the year if it shifts I can
lower it whenever someone flashes me or I se it going into the rear
window of the car in front.

Or if I've got a few tonnes in the back.

Friday night with a couple wee fat birds ?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message ,
" writes
I think faulty vehicle lighting must be the most common, significant
safety-related fault on vehicles.

Of course - anyone can have a bulb fail at any time.

But it shouldn't be beyond the wit of ANPR cameras to spot faulty
lights, and auto-generate an email or letter to the registered
keeper. Add the faulty-lights vehicle plate to a database, and if it
appears
again with the same fault after - say - 2 weeks have elapsed since
the first letter - send them a fine in the post.

Harsh - but it would make a greater contribution to safety than
fines for slightly exceeding the speed limit.

AOL

There is also my patent litter deterrent... passenger of following car
posts message to data store. 3 messages at different times from
different phones raises an automated fine to the registered owner.

And SIM cards are so cheap these days...........

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

In that case I'd probably forget to adjust the lights.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

If I were two faced, would I be wearing this one?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Traffic laws do not apply exclusively to motor vehicles.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-11-26, Nightjar wrote:
On 25/11/2012 22:31, Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:

Many car parks now have ANPR cameras on entrance and exit. Stay more than
the X free hours allowed and they send the registered keeper a parking
notice.

At the Aldi here you have to type your reg number into a terminal near
the tills, otherwise you get charged regardless of how long you stay.

That would not suit me. There is an unmanned car park at a beauty spot I
know where you have to type in your registration when you buy the
ticket. I always have to go back to the car to look.

YMYA.

?

You're Me, You Are.

:-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:
[...]

You should have bought a dog and called it Zola Budd.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Quite, but some people are just confrontational ****s.

As far as I know, they aren't allowed to fine you anyway? So just
ignoring them completely should work fine.

I suspect a "fine" has a specfic legal meaning and the parking co's won't
be issuing a fine but a leving the charge as per the contract you accept
by parking ...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 25/11/2012 13:54, Bill wrote:
[...]

He is talking crap.
I said it would record the event so the speeder could be fined and
disqualified.
There is no need for it to limit.
I'm all for getting a lot of the drivers off the road.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 20:09:23 -0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 18:26:35 -0000, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

That's what I did but politely. If they had persued it I'd have
happily gone to court and got costs etc...

It was my understanding you can just ignore them and not pay, you
don't even have to reply to them.

You can. It is sometimes easier to just write a nice polite letter.

Quite, but some people are just confrontational ****s.

As far as I know, they aren't allowed to fine you anyway? So just
ignoring them completely should work fine.

I suspect a "fine" has a specfic legal meaning and the parking co's won't
be issuing a fine but a leving the charge as per the contract you accept
by parking ...

Which they cannot enforce.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

During the weekly Lamaze class, the instructor emphasized the importance of exercise, hinting strongly that husbands need to get out and start walking with their wives.
From the back of the room one expectant father inquired, "Would it be okay if she carries a bag of golf clubs while she walks?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/2012 00:32, Graham. wrote:
On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 23:39:25 +0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 19:41:05 +0000, Graham.
wrote:

Modern!??

Everyone was doing that in 1975. Probably before...

Since cars have had electric lights at least!

Don't think it was that common till around the 1970's and electric
lights have been the norm for roughly 50 years before that.

Plenty of drivers in the 60s would have been able to flash, even if only
by flicking the lights on/off briefly. And cars with knobs on the dash
board - that's the 50s you're thinking of.

My current Skoda has the light selector knob on the dash, so did the
selection of Focus's (Focii?) before that.
The dip-switch has always been on a stalk even on my first car, a 1971
Vauxhall Viva, and that had a leaky push-button pump for the
windscreen washer on the dash.

My recollection is drivers uses to flash as an invitation, thanks, or
silent rebuke much as they do now, perhaps my recollection is wrong.

You would certainly get flashed if you had the audacity to turn on
your lights in daylight irrespective of how hard it was pelting down
with rain, Volvo had an advertising campaign that tried to educate
drivers about this, and some Volvo owners had their lights modified so
they could be switched off.

It was common for bus drivers to flash the interior lights as a thanks
to the driver behind, that's something I haven't seen for years.

And before hazard warning lights bus drivers often had the good sense
to lean something against the back of their broken down vehicle so you
knew it was stranded.

The back seat?

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lieutenant Scott wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 20:09:23 -0000, Dave Liquorice
I suspect a "fine" has a specfic legal meaning and the parking co's won't
be issuing a fine but a leving the charge as per the contract you accept
by parking ...

Which they cannot enforce.

You might like to check on the recent changes in legislation in England.
Vehicles may no longer lawfully be clamped, but parking penalty charges
can be enforced through the civil courts, and failure to pay the fee
determined by the civil court is contempt of court, a criminal offence.
I believe that similar legislation has also been passed in Scotland and
Wales.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-11-26, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 00:06:01 -0000, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

At the Aldi here you have to type your reg number into a terminal near
the tills, otherwise you get charged regardless of how long you stay.

That would cause me not to shop at Aldi.

Would be a major put off for me as well.

+1

The Aldi here is fine. Apart from remembering the ****ing pound coin
for the trolley.

A 20 cents (Euro) works fine and as you can't spend it here, you don't
find that you're suddenly without. At only 20c, you can keep a few
spares in the car, just in case you lose one too.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 25/11/2012 13:54, Bill wrote:
[...]

Why get drivers off the road for which you have no evidence that they drive dangerously?

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Our parents got divorced when we were kids and it was kind of cool.

We got to go to divorce court with them. It was like a game show. My mom won the house and car. We're all excited. My dad got some luggage.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-11-26, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 00:06:01 -0000, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

At the Aldi here you have to type your reg number into a terminal
near
the tills, otherwise you get charged regardless of how long you stay.

That would cause me not to shop at Aldi.

Would be a major put off for me as well.

+1

The Aldi here is fine. Apart from remembering the ****ing pound coin
for the trolley.

A 20 cents (Euro) works fine and as you can't spend it here, you don't
find that you're suddenly without. At only 20c, you can keep a few
spares in the car, just in case you lose one too.

Or you can get a keyring with a token of the right size in it from some
shops here, and any big supermarket in France. They cost just a bit more
than a Euro each, but you're guaranteed to have it with you, if it's on
your car key ring.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-11-26, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 00:06:01 -0000, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

That would cause me not to shop at Aldi.

Would be a major put off for me as well.

+1

The Aldi here is fine. Apart from remembering the ****ing pound coin
for the trolley.

A 20 cents (Euro) works fine and as you can't spend it here, you don't
find that you're suddenly without. At only 20c, you can keep a few
spares in the car, just in case you lose one too.

Spending it isn't the problem, remembering to take it from the car is. I always walk from the car to the shop twice. I always pay with a credit or debit card, I don't carry cash.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Save the whales. Collect the whole set.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-11-26, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 00:06:01 -0000, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

Would be a major put off for me as well.

+1

The Aldi here is fine. Apart from remembering the ****ing pound coin
for the trolley.

A 20 cents (Euro) works fine and as you can't spend it here, you don't
find that you're suddenly without. At only 20c, you can keep a few
spares in the car, just in case you lose one too.

Or you can get a keyring with a token of the right size in it from some
shops here, and any big supermarket in France. They cost just a bit more
than a Euro each, but you're guaranteed to have it with you, if it's on
your car key ring.

I don't want my car keys hanging off the trolley, they'd probably end up getting lost when the keyring breaks or comes undone.

Tesco tried to give me a stupid clubcard on a keyring instead of the sensible credit card shaped ones. I don't go there any more.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail -- Gustaf Lindborg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 20:37:03 -0000, John Williamson wrote:

Lieutenant Scott wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 20:09:23 -0000, Dave Liquorice
I suspect a "fine" has a specfic legal meaning and the parking co's won't
be issuing a fine but a leving the charge as per the contract you accept
by parking ...

Which they cannot enforce.

You might like to check on the recent changes in legislation in England.
Vehicles may no longer lawfully be clamped, but parking penalty charges
can be enforced through the civil courts, and failure to pay the fee
determined by the civil court is contempt of court, a criminal offence.
I believe that similar legislation has also been passed in Scotland and
Wales.

Haven't they always been able to use the civil court but don't (maybe due to cost reasons?)

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Complete with obligatory low frequency bass, electrically recorded on a four track in two hours. This has enough power to destroy the most expensive washing machine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lieutenant Scott wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 20:09:23 -0000, Dave Liquorice
I suspect a "fine" has a specfic legal meaning and the parking co's won't
be issuing a fine but a leving the charge as per the contract you accept
by parking ...

Which they cannot enforce.

You might like to check on the recent changes in legislation in England.
Vehicles may no longer lawfully be clamped, but parking penalty charges
can be enforced through the civil courts, and failure to pay the fee
determined by the civil court is contempt of court, a criminal offence.
I believe that similar legislation has also been passed in Scotland and
Wales.

I find it hard to believe they changed the laws on parking twice at once, in opposite directions!!

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

A single blonde pregnant girl goes to the grocery store. A couple that she knows notices she's pregnant.
The lady asks her, "Whose baby is it?"
The blonde says, "Well, I don't know they are going to do blood tests, but I think it's mine."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-11-26, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 00:06:01 -0000, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

Would be a major put off for me as well.

+1

The Aldi here is fine. Apart from remembering the ****ing pound coin
for the trolley.

A 20 cents (Euro) works fine and as you can't spend it here, you don't
find that you're suddenly without. At only 20c, you can keep a few
spares in the car, just in case you lose one too.

Or you can get a keyring with a token of the right size in it from some
shops here, and any big supermarket in France. They cost just a bit more
than a Euro each, but you're guaranteed to have it with you, if it's on
your car key ring.

I don't want my car keys hanging off the trolley, they'd probably end up
getting lost when the keyring breaks or comes undone.

Shakes head The token is held in a recess in the fob. If you read what
I wrote rather than what you think I wrote, "the key ring has a token of
the right size in it". I did not write "The key fob is the token"

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/2012 09:24, Tim Lamb wrote:
4/4s often have headlights mounted such that they shine directly on your
wing mirrors when following closely.

No. 4/4s _usually_ have headlights mounted such that they shine
directly on your wing mirrors, _and_ _often_ _the_ _main_ _mirror_
_too_, when following closely.

Perhaps my main mirror is a bit lower than most. I'm also pretty sure my
brakes are better than most, and I'm not using M&S tyres, so if I brake
hard they _will_ hit me.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/2012 10:03, Dave Liquorice wrote:
I suspect it's the hard
cut off, he has a pool of brightness, that reduces his night vision, and
there is nothing beyond the cut off. Normal halogen headlights have some
spill that illuminate, to some extent, beyound the cut off.

I had HID lights on my last car. Hated them for that reason.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 20:55:20 -0000, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

you're guaranteed to have it with you, if it's on your car key ring.

I don't want my car keys hanging off the trolley, they'd probably end
up getting lost when the keyring breaks or comes undone.

Prat, what don't you under stand about "token"? It's a disc with a hole
in it and clip that has ring to attach it to a key ring.

http://onestop-key-rings.co.uk/image...y-key-ring.jpg

Doesn't help when you send daughter off to return trolley and she doesn't
retrive the token and as I generally avoid stores that have this stupid
system forget to ask for it back...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I didn't know how exact you were being. The only ones I've heard of are basically a fake pound coin with a string (well steel string) on it to attach it to the key ring.

So your one just means I'd lose the bloody token when it came out by mistake when driving or carrying the keys.

I'll stick to supermarkets that don't require you to rent the trolleys.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

5 Brits were injured last year in accidents involving out of control Scalextric cars.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/2012 15:00, Jules Richardson wrote:
Is a car park private[1] land? i.e. could someone in theory slap dummy
plates on as soon as they're off the road and then put the real plates
back on before leaving again, and still remain within the law?

[1] I think supermarket ones have been legally shown not to be (although
quite why, I'm not sure). But I don't know if that extends to all car
parks...

IANAL but I think the road traffic acts apply to land "where the public
has access".

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-11-26, Nightjar wrote:
On 26/11/2012 09:21, Huge wrote:

YMYA.

?

You're Me, You Are.

Thanks. That one wasn't on the acronym finder.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

On 25/11/2012 13:54, Bill wrote:
[...]

Obsession with speed noted again.

I'm all for getting a lot of the drivers off the road.

Which ones? Everyone but you?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 21:24:39 -0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 20:55:20 -0000, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

you're guaranteed to have it with you, if it's on your car key ring.

I don't want my car keys hanging off the trolley, they'd probably end
up getting lost when the keyring breaks or comes undone.

Prat, what don't you under stand about "token"? It's a disc with a hole
in it and clip that has ring to attach it to a key ring.

http://onestop-key-rings.co.uk/image...y-key-ring.jpg

I assumed the connection to the rest of the keyring would be more permanent (like the standard keyring that removes your nail when you try to add a key).

Doesn't help when you send daughter off to return trolley and she doesn't
retrive the token and as I generally avoid stores that have this stupid
system forget to ask for it back...

I've got a pound coin in the car if I need it. But I tend to go to more customer friendly supermarkets.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Polynesia -- memory loss in parrots.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 2012-11-26, Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

I've had those and each time the catch has broken and I've ended up
losing the token. 20c pieces are abundant in my change jar.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-11-26, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 00:06:01 -0000, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

That would cause me not to shop at Aldi.

Would be a major put off for me as well.

+1

The Aldi here is fine. Apart from remembering the ****ing pound coin
for the trolley.

A 20 cents (Euro) works fine and as you can't spend it here, you don't
find that you're suddenly without. At only 20c, you can keep a few
spares in the car, just in case you lose one too.

Spending it isn't the problem, remembering to take it from the car is.
I always walk from the car to the shop twice. I always pay with a
credit or debit card, I don't carry cash.

I make extra efforts to get change, but if I don't use it to pay for
something from a machine (vending or parking), my wife always needs
change for school things, so the 20c are the only coins I manage to hang
on to!

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 16:51:52 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
The Other Mike wrote:
They shouldn't need to, all new cars have to have a warning when a bulb
fails.
Like most warning lights in cars people ignore them.

1) Vehicles don't have bulbs unless they have been used to transport a
purchase made at a garden centre

You a theatre sparks? ;-)

No

2) Most vehicles on the road are not new vehicles

My 30 year old Rover has a bulb (sic) failure warning unit.

Surely It'd be better with a 'random electric fault lamp' ...that was
permanently unlit to indicate a fault

Or had they fixed things by then? I only ever travelled in or had any contact
with a very early SD1 (it looked fantastic, and when running properly it went
like stink but was a unreliable bag of ****e in 1979 with squeaky trim, dodgy
electrics and a damp interior)

Actually I went in a 2300 a few years later, in what turned out to be the
slowest journey I've ever taken on a UK motorway, not because of the traffic, or
the car, but the driver was a skinflint who drove everywhere guided by his
add-on vacuum gauge.

The only more unreliable car I knew than that SD1 was a mate with a Range Rover.
He was spending a 500 -100 quid a month on fixing things. Finally sold it
before he ended up with a divorce and the new buyer found it near perfect...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/2012 20:42, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

Why get drivers off the road for which you have no evidence that they
drive dangerously?

there is direct evidence that they don't follow the rules.