Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default And now I've seen it all ...

On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 19:47:36 +0000, Graham.
wrote:

On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 19:38:19 +0000, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

On 25/11/2012 10:37, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 02:16:37 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

DIY headlight bulb replacement should be banned. You ought to have to
take your car to approved garages where there is someone trained and
certified to change the wretched things correctly :-(

In many cars nowadays, the headlamps are not user replaceable
because you have to remove other parts of the engine to get to
them. That maybe why so many cars now drive with a headlamp out.

And it would only get worse if people had to pay for someone to change a
bulb.

Halfords change them for free.

You mean optional fitting is included in the inflated price they
charge.

Remember to buy several since halfrauds bulbs only last a couple of
weeks.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:

And there are car parks on the Suffolk coast where you have to type in
the three digits from your number plate.

That was fine when most cars had three digits. These days they
seem to be changing the kit to accept full reg.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Steve Firth wrote:
harry wrote:
On Nov 25, 3:43 pm, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article
,
Steve Firth wrote:

Changing a bulb for one of the correct type won't alter the beam
setting. What is more likely is the car has been damaged and
repaired and the new unit not adjusted correctly. If a new car,
this won't be picked up until the first MOT.
Putting the bulbs in upside down will alter the beam setting.

Which type of bulb can be fitted upside down if it matters? None I've
seen.

True. Only someone who'd never fitted one would make such a stupid
remark

Only someone who has never worked on a car would think it was a stupid
remark.

Come clean, then. You have actually fitted a headlight bulb 'upside down'
which was only discovered at MOT time?

--
*"I am " is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 02:33:20 -0000, Arfa Daily wrote:

"Lieutenant Scott" wrote in message
newsp.wocti9x6ytk5n5@i7-940...
On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 02:02:59 -0000, Arfa Daily
wrote:

Yes, I know I've had a bitch on here before about DIY headlight repairs,
but
I swear it's getting worse year on year. Since the evenings have got dark
again, I've been blinded from the front and dazzled from the rear so many
times that I've lost count. This is either because headlight bulbs have
been
fitted incorrectly, or the cretins behind the wheel don't know what the
blue
light on the dash means ...

It means the blue xenons are on.

On top of this, on more than one occasion, I've almost run into the back
of
a motorbike that's turned out to be a car with the offside tail light
out.

You must have pretty poor eyesight, did the car not have reflectors? Were
your headlights not on?

Today, I had to drive to another town some thirty miles away, and for
most
of the time it was more or less foggy. At least one in three cars was not
showing any lights. I think I saw about two that were actually using
their
rear fog lights. Funny how drivers always manage to find the tiresome
things
on a dark wet night when they are guaranteed to dazzle you, but never
have
them on when it's full daylight and thick fog !

I agree with yo on the lights, but not the fog lights. Fog lights look
like brakes, I never use them. If you're following someone in the fog and
they brake, you might not notice.

Anyway, on the return trip, as I passed the main county police
headquarters,
a law car pulled out behind me. It had one headlight pointing into the
ditch, and the other up into my rearview mirror. If it's now reached the
point where even the coppers can't keep their own vehicles legal, we
might
as well all give up ...

I would have pulled him over for a laugh.

DIY headlight bulb replacement should be banned. You ought to have to
take
your car to approved garages where there is someone trained and certified
change the wretched things correctly :-(

How can you replace a bulb wrong, they have ****ing notches!

Oh dear ...

Whatever you're oh dearing about, be more specific.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

What is the difference between a battery and a woman?
A battery has a positive side.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 07:57:58 -0000, dennis@home wrote:

On 26/11/2012 00:10, Lieutenant Scott wrote:
On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 20:23:20 -0000, dennis@home
wrote:

On 25/11/2012 13:54, Bill wrote:
In message , fred writes

Static ones are certainly illuminated with IR floods and you get the
plate lighting up with the on axis reflection, just like cats eyes.
Don't know about the mobile ones but it would be a bit of an omission
if they didn't have them too.

I recently fitted an ANPR camera for a customer, attached to their CCTV
system. They are amazing, even in bright sunlight there is next to no
image. As you say they have IR illumination and this is reflected back
from the number plate. The effect is outstanding, the filter in front
of the camera basically only allows the IR frequency of light through
and the number plate shows perfectly, day or night. The mobile ones do
appear to have IR illuminators too.

Its done to make sure the idiots that fit reflective coatings on plates
and other such junk get caught.

What's idiotic about avoiding the ****ing GATSOs?

Being idiotic enough to think they work!
Looks like you do.

How would people know they don't work?

And for your information I don't. I use a satnav so I slow down before the gatso.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

What is the difference between a battery and a woman?
A battery has a positive side.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 10:57:33 +0000, John Williamson
wrote:

You heard no more about it because it wouldn't be economically viable
for them to chase you any further.

Surely, as per usual practice these days, they would just put it in
the hands of debt collectors?

The breach of the DPA, if any, is by the DVLA who are the registered
holders of that data, but as they passed on the information to a third
party for a legally approved use, you'd not get far chasing them.

Perhaps the car park company were trying to do it 'on the cheap' and
not paying the DVLA, so that's why they dropped it?

Also, whence does your information come? Although as I say IANAL, I'm
yet to be convinced that, where no crime has been committed, the DVLA
can sell on your details as you suggest.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 08:15:33 -0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 00:07:53 -0000, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

Many car parks now have ANPR cameras on entrance and exit. Stay more
than the X free hours allowed and they send the registered keeper a
parking notice.

Which you can presumably ignore like the motorway service station ones?

Got sent a ticket for overstaying at the Wetherby service area the other
week. Was staying at the Days Inn for two nights (Buy One Get One Free)
with free parking. The receptionist has to enter your registration into a
terminal. The ticket I got was for the second night. I can only assume
she only entered my reg for only 1 night. The parking co. quickly
accepted a copy of my hotel bill and dropped their over stay parking
charge.

Why didn't you just tell them to get ****ed?

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Top Tip. If someone shoves your feet in a fire, quickly put your head in a bucket of iced water. On average, you will be pretty comfortable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 08:23:23 -0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 00:06:01 -0000, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

At the Aldi here you have to type your reg number into a terminal near
the tills, otherwise you get charged regardless of how long you stay..

That would cause me not to shop at Aldi.

Would be a major put off for me as well. The car park next to Waitrose in
Hexham is all Council Pay and Display, don't go there often but just over
the road is a big Tesco car park, 3 hrs free... Then there is the parking
arrangements for the "new" Sainsbury's in Penrith. There is open air Pay
and Display and a multi-storey. You obvioulsy have to cough up in advance
in the PnD but the multi-storey, I think is pay on exit with free parking
if you spend over £X in the Sainsbury's but how you get your free parking
I don't know. I never pay for parking unless there is no option, most
parking around here is free...

I've got a choice of Morrisons, Aldi, Asda, and Tesco. So if one ****es me off in any way they lose custom (after being told loudly that they're about to).

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Top Tip. If someone shoves your feet in a fire, quickly put your head in a bucket of iced water. On average, you will be pretty comfortable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-11-26, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 00:06:01 -0000, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

At the Aldi here you have to type your reg number into a terminal near
the tills, otherwise you get charged regardless of how long you stay.

That would cause me not to shop at Aldi.

Would be a major put off for me as well.

+1

The Aldi here is fine. Apart from remembering the ****ing pound coin for the trolley.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-11-26, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On 26 Nov 2012 09:17:36 GMT, Huge wrote:

The design of the rear light clusters on my Disco III is brilliant.
Lifting the tailgate reveals 2 large screws, undo those and the whole
cluster comes off and you can change the bulbs by hand. I can only
assume that whoever was responsible once had to change a rear bulb on a
Disco II and still looks at the scars from time to time to remind him.

Eh? I never even attempted to do the rear lights on my DII from the rear

You can't. You have to remove a trim panel inside the car and undo a nut

Actually, two nuts. On really long bolts, so you can't use a nut runner.

Long box spanners are cheap, once you find the correct size.

You can even use them with a drill driver by putting a bolt in the chuck
to drive the other end.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 08:37:51 -0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 00:07:25 -0000, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

Yes no tax is very dangerous indeed.... for the DVLA coffers.

The Car Tax is nothing compared to the fuel bill. But if some one hasn't
got tax, the car probably hasn't had a MOT for years and they probably
haven't got insurance.

They can check the MOT and insurance database anyway. Tax is not required for that.

Yes the fuel tax is a multitude larger than the tax disk. And they think a cheaper tax disk for certain cars will encourage us to get one. Fuel consumption is the only thing to persuade me.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 08:59:10 -0000, Man at B&Q wrote:

On Nov 26, 12:07 am, "Lieutenant Scott" wrote:
On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 23:15:53 -0000, dennis@home wrote:
On 25/11/2012 23:07, Tim Watts wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 20:33:48 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

Took the kids to LegoLand (Windsor) this summer. One day, there was an
ANPR inside the entrance logging everyone. I thought that was bloody
off.

I should have clarified that - it was a Police ANPR with a pair of coppers
and a marked car.

So there was a threat and they wanted to make sure people were safe..
There are many good reasons why the police use ANPR.
That also includes catching people without tax and insurance taking the
kids out.

Yes no tax is very dangerous indeed

Don't be silly. Oh, it's you.

Nice to see you too, wann stay over?

It is, however, a very good indication of other issues.

See other post.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Health and Safety Officer required to start ASAP, circa £35K:
Your main duties will include:
Hampering other staff and preventing them from carrying on with their duties.
Handing out huge quantities of pointless paperwork consuming approx 1 rainforest per year.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
" writes
I think faulty vehicle lighting must be the most common, significant
safety-related fault on vehicles.

Of course - anyone can have a bulb fail at any time.

But it shouldn't be beyond the wit of ANPR cameras to spot faulty
lights, and auto-generate an email or letter to the registered keeper.

Add the faulty-lights vehicle plate to a database, and if it appears
again with the same fault after - say - 2 weeks have elapsed since the
first letter - send them a fine in the post.

Harsh - but it would make a greater contribution to safety than fines
for slightly exceeding the speed limit.

AOL

There is also my patent litter deterrent... passenger of following car
posts message to data store. 3 messages at different times from
different phones raises an automated fine to the registered owner.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 11:45:22 -0000, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

The parking co. quickly accepted a copy of my hotel bill and dropped
their over stay parking charge.

Why didn't you just tell them to get ****ed?

That's what I did but politely. If they had persued it I'd have happily
gone to court and got costs etc...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 11:54:31 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

They shouldn't need to, all new cars have to have a warning when a
bulb fails.

oh yes? Since when?

Like most warning lights in cars people ignore them.

Very likely.

http://wiki.the-big-bang-theory.com/...k_engine_light

Last para.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

There is also my patent litter deterrent... passenger of following car

posts message to data store. 3 messages at different times from

different phones raises an automated fine to the registered owner.

I think there's great potential for self-policing of stuff that's widely regarded by other motorists as unacceptable.

In-car monitoring cameras - the type that insurance companies are starting to use to log accidents/offer discounts - they could be used in all sorts of ways.

You see something that really bothers you whilst driving.
You press the record button on your in-car-camera to log the event (i.e. its caching the 30 seconds prior to the record button being pushed).
You upload the video clip to a police-run website.
Anyone with a UK driving licence can watch any uploaded video - and vote for its seriousness (lots of people seem to like TV progs like this - now you get to vote too).
Police review and prosecute the top-scoring videos.

We get - to nail the really bad driving we see.
We get - to vote on the sort of driving we want to see nailed.
The police get - half their work done for them - including video evidence.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 12:29:52 -0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 11:45:22 -0000, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

The parking co. quickly accepted a copy of my hotel bill and dropped
their over stay parking charge.

Why didn't you just tell them to get ****ed?

That's what I did but politely. If they had persued it I'd have happily
gone to court and got costs etc...

It was my understanding you can just ignore them and not pay, you don't even have to reply to them.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

I do not think it is necessary to believe that the same god who has given us our senses, reason, and intelligence wished us to abandon their use, giving us by some other means the information that we could gain through them -- Galileo Galilei
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, November 26, 2012 12:52:50 PM UTC, wrote:

There is also my patent litter deterrent... passenger of following car

posts message to data store. 3 messages at different times from

different phones raises an automated fine to the registered owner.

I think there's great potential for self-policing of stuff that's widely regarded by other motorists as unacceptable.

In-car monitoring cameras - the type that insurance companies are starting to use to log accidents/offer discounts - they could be used in all sorts of ways.

But they monitor just one driver and one car.

You see something that really bothers you whilst driving.

Wherre eto you see it, do the left to the right infront or passed by,
a camera with 360 angle of view would be required.

You press the record button on your in-car-camera to log the event (i.e. its caching the 30 seconds prior to the record button being pushed).

I wponder who the first person would be to take their eye off the road to 'record' anothers accident would be.
It's bad enough with 'gooseneck drivers' looking around at other accidetns without suggesting they film it too ;-)

You upload the video clip to a police-run website.

Anyone with a UK driving licence can watch any uploaded video - and vote for its seriousness (lots of people seem to like TV progs like this - now you get to vote too).

Why limit it to those with licenses ?

Police review and prosecute the top-scoring videos.

I think such things should be taken out of the polices hands
why give them more paper/video work.

We get - to nail the really bad driving we see.

or the most fun to watch.

We get - to vote on the sort of driving we want to see nailed.

Not sure that would work, maybe we could do it for all crimes but I;m not sur we'd want it as a public vote after seeing what we get from the popular phone in programs.

The police get - half their work done for them - including video evidence.

Soimeone would have to pay for teh hardware and infrustrcuture for all this, don;t think we;re quite ready for this yep.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 23:18:34 +0000, Graham. wrote:

cyclist in black with no lights, that is undertaking you as you turn left.

In those circumstances the human race would probably be better off with such
****wits left in a state such that they can't propogate their genes and do even
more damage to the human race.

'a cyclist'

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-11-26, Arfa Daily wrote:

Also, the number of people that either
come at you or up behind you with their lights on main beam, is a lot higher
than it was a few years ago.

I keep meaning to mount a photographic flashgun facing backwards in the rear
window for the benefit of tailgaters, especially those with main beams
on.

100W industrial laser, guided by a face recognition system.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 00:25:47 +0000, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 00:14:42 -0000, geoff wrote:

In message op.wocs7ic0ytk5n5@i7-940, Lieutenant Scott
writes
On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 23:52:54 -0000, geoff wrote:

In message , polygonum
writes
On 25/11/2012 23:39, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

Plenty of drivers in the 60s would have been able to flash, even if
only by flicking the lights on/off briefly. And cars with knobs on
the dash board - that's the 50s you're thinking of.

The 50s and Lieutenant Scott's car...

http://www.robertopiecollection.com/...ts/pedal-cars/

old-f
ashioned-pedal-cars-GB.asp

I think you mean
http://www.robertopiecollection.com/...ts/pedal-cars/

old-
fashioned-pedal-cars-GB.asp

I think thats what I posted ...

Yours wrapped.

Now yours has too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 26, 11:16*am, "dennis@home"
wrote:
On 26/11/2012 10:36, wrote:

I think faulty vehicle lighting must be the most common, significant
safety-related fault on vehicles.

Of course - anyone can have a bulb fail at any time.

But it shouldn't be beyond the wit of ANPR cameras to spot faulty
lights, and auto-generate an email or letter to the registered
keeper.

They shouldn't need to, all new cars have to have a warning when a bulb
fails.
Like most warning lights in cars people ignore them.

Some ****wits deliberately disable them.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 14:30:38 -0000, Jules Richardson wrote:

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 00:25:47 +0000, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 00:14:42 -0000, geoff wrote:

In message op.wocs7ic0ytk5n5@i7-940, Lieutenant Scott
writes
On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 23:52:54 -0000, geoff wrote:

In message , polygonum
writes

http://www.robertopiecollection.com/...ts/pedal-cars/

old-f
ashioned-pedal-cars-GB.asp

I think you mean
http://www.robertopiecollection.com/...ts/pedal-cars/

old-
fashioned-pedal-cars-GB.asp

I think thats what I posted ...

Yours wrapped.

Now yours has too.

That's cause you broke it. [tears]

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Time that you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time -- Marthe Troly-Curtin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 00:32:19 +0000, Graham. wrote:
Plenty of drivers in the 60s would have been able to flash, even if only
by flicking the lights on/off briefly. And cars with knobs on the dash
board - that's the 50s you're thinking of.

My current Skoda has the light selector knob on the dash, so did the
selection of Focus's (Focii?) before that. The dip-switch has always
been on a stalk even on my first car, a 1971 Vauxhall Viva, and that had
a leaky push-button pump for the windscreen washer on the dash.

For my truck (1967) it's a dash switch for sidelights/headlights and a
floor switch for full/dip beam.

The car (1997) and van (2008) both have stalks for full/dip/flash, but
the basic lighting controls are on the dash.

ISTR that my Stags (both were 1972) had the basic controls on the
steering column, with stalks for full/dip/flash.

My recollection is drivers uses to flash as an invitation, thanks, or
silent rebuke much as they do now, perhaps my recollection is wrong.

It's interesting that over here it's only ever rebuke; it took me a long
time to get out of the habit of using it to yield priority or give
thanks.

You would certainly get flashed if you had the audacity to turn on your
lights in daylight irrespective of how hard it was pelting down with
rain, Volvo had an advertising campaign that tried to educate drivers
about this, and some Volvo owners had their lights modified so they
could be switched off.

Other way round here, in that most people just leave them on all the time
- the weather's pretty crappy for half the year.

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 10:33:46 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:
And there are car parks on the Suffolk coast where you have to type in
the three digits from your number plate.

Do they have to be in the same order as on the number plate? :-)

Is a car park private[1] land? i.e. could someone in theory slap dummy
plates on as soon as they're off the road and then put the real plates
back on before leaving again, and still remain within the law?

[1] I think supermarket ones have been legally shown not to be (although
quite why, I'm not sure). But I don't know if that extends to all car
parks...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

The design of the rear light clusters on my Disco III is brilliant. Lifting
the tailgate reveals 2 large screws, undo those and the whole cluster comes
off and you can change the bulbs by hand.

You don't see light clusters swimming with water as often as you used
to, I was behind some car the other day, and though I'd noticed water
sloshing around in its cluster, as I got closer it became obvious there
were two 'spare' bulbs rolling around in there!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/2012 09:51, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Nightjar wrote:

Some dipped beams. The cut-off on mine is flat across the entire width
and the car looks at the beam pattern when it starts up, so it is always
set correctly for the load.

There's clever! How does it do that?

No idea, but I presume it has something to do with the various video
cameras the car is fitted with. Start the car at night and you can see
the beams move up and down until they find the right position. When I am
driving on the wrong side of the road they also automatically adjust so
as to give the best vision range without dazzling drivers of oncoming
cars or cars on the road ahead, but that feature does not work in the
UK, where I only get conventional dipped or main beam.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/2012 15:00, Jules Richardson wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 10:33:46 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:
And there are car parks on the Suffolk coast where you have to type in
the three digits from your number plate.

Do they have to be in the same order as on the number plate? :-)

Is a car park private[1] land? i.e. could someone in theory slap dummy
plates on as soon as they're off the road and then put the real plates
back on before leaving again, and still remain within the law?

[1] I think supermarket ones have been legally shown not to be (although
quite why, I'm not sure). But I don't know if that extends to all car
parks...

As a general rule, if a road is open for use by the general public, then
it is usually governed by most traffic law. It does not matter whether
the road is privately or publicly owned and the definition of road can
include car parks and things that do not immediately come to mind as
roads, such as bridleways and footpaths.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-11-26, Nightjar wrote:
On 25/11/2012 22:31, Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:

Many car parks now have ANPR cameras on entrance and exit. Stay more than
the X free hours allowed and they send the registered keeper a parking
notice.

At the Aldi here you have to type your reg number into a terminal near
the tills, otherwise you get charged regardless of how long you stay.

That would not suit me. There is an unmanned car park at a beauty spot I
know where you have to type in your registration when you buy the
ticket. I always have to go back to the car to look.

YMYA.

?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/2012 10:31, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:

Graham. wrote:

My current Skoda has the light selector knob on the dash, so did the
selection of Focus's (Focii?) before that.
The dip-switch has always been on a stalk even on my first car, a 1971
Vauxhall Viva, and that had a leaky push-button pump for the
windscreen washer on the dash.

IIRC, on my Dad's Mk 1 Ford Consul, the dip switch was a
foot-operated button, to the left of the clutch pedal.

Thass right, as it was on my first Mini. This made it more awkward to
flash people in the mid-late 60s, but I still did it.

You only need a long coat for that.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote:

On 25/11/2012 22:31, Andy Burns wrote:

At the Aldi here you have to type your reg number into a terminal near
the tills, otherwise you get charged regardless of how long you stay.

That would not suit me. There is an unmanned car park at a beauty spot I
know where you have to type in your registration when you buy the
ticket. I always have to go back to the car to look.

My reg ends in HJZ (or is it HZJ) which I don't find very memorable, a
couple of times I've entered both into the terminal just to be sure.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:

And there are car parks on the Suffolk coast where you have to type in
the three digits from your number plate.

That was fine when most cars had three digits.

ISTR they were phrased "enter up to 3 digits of your car's
registration", so I generally used to enter a single digit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/2012 12:52, wrote:

There is also my patent litter deterrent... passenger of following car

posts message to data store. 3 messages at different times from

different phones raises an automated fine to the registered owner.

I think there's great potential for self-policing of stuff that's widely regarded by other motorists as unacceptable.

In-car monitoring cameras - the type that insurance companies are starting to use to log accidents/offer discounts - they could be used in all sorts of ways.

You see something that really bothers you whilst driving.
You press the record button on your in-car-camera to log the event (i.e. its caching the 30 seconds prior to the record button being pushed)....

10 seconds each side of the button push on my Roadhawk. However, with a
32Gb memory card, I get up to 48 hours of video in 1 minute clips before
it starts to overwrite the oldest. It is not difficult to isolate a
particular clip if you want to.

You upload the video clip to a police-run website.
Anyone with a UK driving licence can watch any uploaded video - and vote for its seriousness (lots of people seem to like TV progs like this - now you get to vote too).
Police review and prosecute the top-scoring videos.

We get - to nail the really bad driving we see.
We get - to vote on the sort of driving we want to see nailed.
The police get - half their work done for them - including video evidence.

I'm not sure they would all be of evidence quality.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article
,
Steve Firth wrote:

Changing a bulb for one of the correct type won't alter the beam
setting. What is more likely is the car has been damaged and
repaired and the new unit not adjusted correctly. If a new car,
this won't be picked up until the first MOT.
Putting the bulbs in upside down will alter the beam setting.

Which type of bulb can be fitted upside down if it matters? None I've
seen.

True. Only someone who'd never fitted one would make such a stupid
remark

Only someone who has never worked on a car would think it was a stupid
remark.

Come clean, then. You have actually fitted a headlight bulb 'upside down'
which was only discovered at MOT time?

Come clean, then. You are still desperate to fling monkey poo through the
bars if your cage. Perhaps you feel like addressing the same sneer at the
three other people who have made the same observation?

No?

Then seek the services of that therapist.

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Other Mike wrote:
They shouldn't need to, all new cars have to have a warning when a bulb
fails.
Like most warning lights in cars people ignore them.

1) Vehicles don't have bulbs unless they have been used to transport a
purchase made at a garden centre

You a theatre sparks? ;-)

2) Most vehicles on the road are not new vehicles

My 30 year old Rover has a bulb (sic) failure warning unit.

--
*White with a hint of M42*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Steve Firth wrote:
Come clean, then. You have actually fitted a headlight bulb 'upside
down' which was only discovered at MOT time?

Come clean, then. You are still desperate to fling monkey poo through the
bars if your cage. Perhaps you feel like addressing the same sneer at the
three other people who have made the same observation?

Crikey. How long have you had this persecution complex?

--
*What happens when none of your bees wax? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

geoff wrote:
In message , fred writes
In article , D.M.Chapman dmc@puffin.?
writes
wrote:

Halfords change them for free.

You mean optional fitting is included in the inflated price they
charge.

When I picked one up in there on Saturday evening (stress
purchase, spare was duff and I hate driving SWMBOs car at the
best of times, let alone with a headlight out) they wanted 7 quid
to change the bulb for me.

Yep, that's my indirect experience too, rellie bought 8quid headlamp
bulb (an H4 ffs!) and was offered an option to fit for another
8quid or so which was declined.

Had to replace the rear light cluster a while back. I ended up showing
the ford garage apprentice how to do it

Well on Friday I watch one of Stoneacre's apprentice mechanic run a
customers 61 plate car into a wall:-)

--
Adam