Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nightjar Nightjar is offline

Default And now I've seen it all ...

On 26/11/2012 15:00, Jules Richardson wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 10:33:46 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:
And there are car parks on the Suffolk coast where you have to type in
the three digits from your number plate.

Do they have to be in the same order as on the number plate? :-)

Is a car park private[1] land? i.e. could someone in theory slap dummy
plates on as soon as they're off the road and then put the real plates
back on before leaving again, and still remain within the law?

[1] I think supermarket ones have been legally shown not to be (although
quite why, I'm not sure). But I don't know if that extends to all car
parks...

As a general rule, if a road is open for use by the general public, then
it is usually governed by most traffic law. It does not matter whether
the road is privately or publicly owned and the definition of road can
include car parks and things that do not immediately come to mind as
roads, such as bridleways and footpaths.

Colin Bignell