Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 2 combi boilers?

On 29/04/2012 21:08, Lieutenant Scott wrote:
On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 20:26:04 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message op.wdjie8sxytk5n5@i7-940, Lieutenant Scott
writes
On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 23:50:26 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message op.wdhx0ltzytk5n5@i7-940, Lieutenant Scott
writes
On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 23:00:14 +0100, Fredxx wrote:
It also meant I could go for condensing boilers as I wasn't looking
forward to the gas bill. If required I could run just the one boiler,
and on the 2 occasions I had a fault I still had gas heated hot
water,
and maintained background heat.

I suspect the goal posts have changed since, but the principles still
hold, especially in these days when boiler reliability is at an
all time
low.

Mine has run unserviced for 14 years. Buy a Baxi.

So, you're comparing a boiler built 15 years ago with one built today

You make Harry sound sensible

I can't believe Baxi boilers have changed to something less reliable.

Baxi-Potterton have a very poor reputation nowadays

What has a good reputation should mine ever explode?

I've just had a new boiler fitted. its a Vaillant 838, it puts 32kW to
heating or up to 38kW to hot water. Its a big boiler and apparently well
suited to mutliple bathroom/multiple shower houses by virtue of its
seriously large DHW heat exchanger.

All the gas engineers I spoke to all swear by Vaillant or Bosch.

Both incidentally are German companies, so maybe share some of the good
points enjoyed by VW or Audi?

Vaillant boilers come with a 3 year warranty.

Stephen

Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen H" wrote in message

Both incidentally are German companies, so maybe share some of the good
points enjoyed by VW or Audi?

You do understand that VW has only ever had one car with above average
reliability, the old beetle, the rest are average or less.
Audi produced the most unreliable car for many years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 21:26:25 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

Lieutenant Scott wrote
geoff wrote
Steve Firth wrote
geoff wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote

So, you're comparing a boiler built 15 years ago with one built today

You make Harry sound sensible

PHucker makes Mad Gerald The Insane sound sensible. In other groups he
is boasting that he saved a fiver on having dumpy bags of gravel
delivered by loading 1.5 tonnes of gravel into the back of a Golf.

Interesting, I though that it was Skodas that were traditionally used as
skips

A VW becomes a Skoda with old age.

Mine didn't.

You probably maintain it better than me.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Some people's brains are purely for life support purposes only.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 21:48:22 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Fredxx wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote

What if it was cheaper, and possibly more efficient, to couple two
smaller engines together?

That did happen in a few cars, I think it was more for performance
though.

And I don't believe it could be cheaper and possibly more efficient to
couple two boilers.

It can be more efficient anyway, particular with as he said
originally, each serving a different part of the house.

It's the servicing (which apparently a lot of fools pay for every year)
that would cost a lot.

The obvious fix for that is to not be that stupid.

This is diy after all.

I don't even service mine myself, I fix it when it breaks, which so far is never.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Some people's brains are purely for life support purposes only.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 21:52:28 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote

The average person over 50 will have spent 5 years waiting in lines.

Don't believe that even in that soggy little island.

I do.

I don't.

Queueing is a British tradition.

English, actually. The rest of the barbarians
never were much into that sort of thing.

And I don't believe that even the english actually
spend anything like 10% of their 'lives' queuing.

I don't know about Australia, but we live longer than 50 years.

People seem to accept it, I do not.

That's coz you aint english, stupid.

I've not noticed the English liking queues any more than that Scots.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

A woman storms into her boss's office with this complaint:
"All the other women in the office are suing you for sexual harassment.
"Since you haven't sexually harassed me, I'm suing you for discrimination."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 21:55:18 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote

Nope, there are a few situaitions where it can make sense.

A 20 bedroomed house?

Don't need anything like 20, just quite a few showers and
the occupants likely to want to use them simultaneously etc.

Whats the point of more than a couple of showers
if you cant use them whenever you like etc ?

Not everyone 'lives' alone in a single shower tiny little hovel.

Either stop insisting on piping hot showers,

I don't in summer. I do in winter.

Pussy.

or have a proper hot water tank so you have unlimited hot water.

No tank is ever unlimited, stupid.

It is for the purposes of showering. Most people don't shower forever.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Rescuers in Pakistan today reported rescuing a man from the rubble.
They became aware when they heard a faint voice saying "we're still open".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 23:32:29 +0100, Stephen H wrote:

On 28/04/2012 20:30, Lieutenant Scott wrote:
On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 20:07:33 +0100, kent wrote:

On Wednesday, 25 April 2012 20:05:20 UTC+1, Jim K wrote:
On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 19:57:44 +0100, kent wrote:

This is probably a daft idea, but I'd be interesting to see if
there is
any mileage in it! Combi boilers tend to work best in smaller
properties, so for a larger property would it be possible (or make any
sense) to have 2 combi boilers serving different parts of the house?
By "larger" I don't mean a mansion I mean a 4 bedroomed house with 3
showers!
Thanks for any thoughts on this.

ah the old ones are always the best....

nope! Thought of it all by myself! Is it that stupid then?

Only as stupid as having two engines in your car.

This is not without precedent.... the Intercity 125 train has two engine
coaches, one at the front to pull and one at the back to push.... the
two engines are sychronised....

Also the ThamesLink trains are usually coupled in 2's, or 3's or 4's.
Often at peak hours, they will couple two or three of these "complete
trains up to produce between 6 to 12 coaches. Sometimes they will
split/merge part way through journey....

At the risk of being called a trainspotter.... cool!

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Heard on a public transportation vehicle while in Orlando:
"When you exit this vehicle, please be sure to lower your head and watch your step."
"If you fail to do so, please lower your voice and watch your language."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 23:39:55 +0100, Stephen H wrote:

[...]

Noted.

Although I can't say VW are more reliable than anything else.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Sex is one of the most wholesome, beautiful and natural experiences that money can buy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"Stephen H" wrote in message

Both incidentally are German companies, so maybe share some of the
good points enjoyed by VW or Audi?

You do understand that VW has only ever had one car with above average
reliability, the old beetle,

The KDFWagen dennis - redesigned by british engineers to make it more
reliable

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen H" wrote in message
[...]

The vast bulk of the heaviest end of trains do too.

Also the ThamesLink trains are usually coupled in 2's, or 3's or 4's.
Often at peak hours, they will couple two or three of these "complete
trains up to produce between 6 to 12 coaches. Sometimes they will
split/merge part way through journey....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote
Stephen H wrote

Both incidentally are German companies, so maybe
share some of the good points enjoyed by VW or Audi?

You do understand that VW has only ever had one car with above
average reliability, the old beetle, the rest are average or less.

That's just plain wrong with the 70s Golf.

Audi produced the most unreliable car for many years.

And BMW didn't.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
geoff wrote
Steve Firth wrote
geoff wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote

So, you're comparing a boiler built 15 years ago with one built
today...

You make Harry sound sensible

PHucker makes Mad Gerald The Insane sound sensible. In other groups he
is boasting that he saved a fiver on having dumpy bags of gravel
delivered by loading 1.5 tonnes of gravel into the back of a Golf.

Interesting, I though that it was Skodas that were traditionally used
as skips

A VW becomes a Skoda with old age.

Mine didn't.

You probably maintain it better than me.

Nope. Didn't maintain it at all in fact.

It only got the one oil change in 35+ years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

That's all I ever do with anything of mine, including the whole house.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote

The average person over 50 will have spent 5 years waiting in lines.

Don't believe that even in that soggy little island.

I do.

I don't.

Queueing is a British tradition.

English, actually. The rest of the barbarians
never were much into that sort of thing.

And I don't believe that even the english actually
spend anything like 10% of their 'lives' queuing.

I don't know about Australia, but we live longer than 50 years.

Doesn't change the maths much given that few kids
do much queuing in their first 5 years even in england.

People seem to accept it, I do not.

That's coz you aint english, stupid.

I've not noticed the English liking queues any more than that Scots.

They clearly do accept them given they queue so much.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote

Nope, there are a few situaitions where it can make sense.

A 20 bedroomed house?

Don't need anything like 20, just quite a few showers and
the occupants likely to want to use them simultaneously etc.

Whats the point of more than a couple of showers
if you cant use them whenever you like etc ?

Not everyone 'lives' alone in a single shower tiny little hovel.

Either stop insisting on piping hot showers,

I don't in summer. I do in winter.

Pussy.

Nothing pussy about having what you
prefer, that's the only sensible thing to do.

or have a proper hot water tank so you have unlimited hot water.

No tank is ever unlimited, stupid.

It is for the purposes of showering.

Nope.

Most people don't shower forever.

Still aint unlimited.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , dennis@home
scribeth thus

"Stephen H" wrote in message

Both incidentally are German companies, so maybe share some of the good
points enjoyed by VW or Audi?

You do understand that VW has only ever had one car with above average
reliability, the old beetle, the rest are average or less.
Audi produced the most unreliable car for many years.

Which one might that be then Dennis?....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message
news
Which one might that be then Dennis?....

I don't recall the model, best check JDpower.
Its that funny sports one that you can't get two adults in the back that was
popular amongst company cars.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/12 21:32, Fredxx wrote:
On 28/04/2012 20:30, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

Only as stupid as having two engines in your car.

What if it was cheaper, and possibly more efficient, to couple two smaller
engines together?

Isn't that basically a V-engine (V6, V8, V10, V12 etc.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

2BSur2Bsur wrote:
On 28/04/12 21:32, Fredxx wrote:
On 28/04/2012 20:30, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

Only as stupid as having two engines in your car.

What if it was cheaper, and possibly more efficient, to couple two
smaller
engines together?

Isn't that basically a V-engine (V6, V8, V10, V12 etc.)

well that's a matter of definition. There are some interesting designs
about - I saw one design for an F1 engine that was twin cranks with
pistons in the same cylinder so the same bang operated on two pistons
and two cranks. I think they called in an H16 or an H8..But ir wasnt te
same as te BRM over and under H15 design

The designers were convinced it would be smaller lighter and have a
lower C of G, and less vibration.

No one else was though.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

2BSur2Bsur wrote
Fredxx wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote

Only as stupid as having two engines in your car.

What if it was cheaper, and possibly more efficient, to couple two
smaller engines together?

Isn't that basically a V-engine (V6, V8, V10, V12 etc.)

Nope, those just have different timing between the banks of cylinders
firing.

You do see lots of boats and planes with multiple engines,
but that's not so much for cheapness and efficiency, its more
so there is still something left to use when one stops working etc.

You do see multiple engines almost universally with the
heaviest trains, but that's for different reasons to do with
getting the power delivered to the rails via the wheels etc.

You do also see multiple engines on the heaviest machinery, particularly
with diesel electric systems and hydraulic wheel motors etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 01:24:52 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote

It can be more efficient anyway, particular with as he said
originally, each serving a different part of the house.

It's the servicing (which apparently a lot of fools pay for every year)
that would cost a lot.

The obvious fix for that is to not be that stupid.

This is diy after all.

I don't even service mine myself, I fix it when it breaks, which so far is
never.

That's all I ever do with anything of mine, including the whole house.

What about your car?

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

In the 1400's a law was set forth that a man was not allowed to beat his wife with a stick thicker than his thumb. Hence we have the "rule of thumb".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 01:27:23 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote

Don't believe that even in that soggy little island.

I do.

I don't.

Queueing is a British tradition.

English, actually. The rest of the barbarians
never were much into that sort of thing.

And I don't believe that even the english actually
spend anything like 10% of their 'lives' queuing.

I don't know about Australia, but we live longer than 50 years.

Doesn't change the maths much given that few kids
do much queuing in their first 5 years even in england.

I seem to remember queuing for paint and lunch in nursery school.

People seem to accept it, I do not.

That's coz you aint english, stupid.

I've not noticed the English liking queues any more than that Scots.

They clearly do accept them given they queue so much.

No, they detest them, but presumably can't see a way to get rid of them.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

What's a Scotsman's cure for seasickness?
He hangs his head over the side of the boat with a pound coin between his teeth!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 01:30:07 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote

Don't need anything like 20, just quite a few showers and
the occupants likely to want to use them simultaneously etc.

Whats the point of more than a couple of showers
if you cant use them whenever you like etc ?

Not everyone 'lives' alone in a single shower tiny little hovel.

Either stop insisting on piping hot showers,

I don't in summer. I do in winter.

Pussy.

Nothing pussy about having what you
prefer, that's the only sensible thing to do.

Of course there is. If you weren't a pussy you wouldn't be bothered by the water temperature.

or have a proper hot water tank so you have unlimited hot water.

No tank is ever unlimited, stupid.

It is for the purposes of showering.

Nope.

Most people don't shower forever.

Still aint unlimited.

It is for the purposes of showering - like I said, it would be unlikely to empty a hot water tank with shower(s).

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Saying that she is promiscuous is an understatement.
She'll go zero to sixty-nine in under fifteen seconds."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 01:23:02 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
geoff wrote
Steve Firth wrote

Interesting, I though that it was Skodas that were traditionally used
as skips

A VW becomes a Skoda with old age.

Mine didn't.

You probably maintain it better than me.

Nope. Didn't maintain it at all in fact.

It only got the one oil change in 35+ years.

Are you telling me I could get away without oil changes?

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

In light of the Madrid bombing, France has raised its terror alert level from "run" to "hide."
The only two higher levels in France are "surrender" and "collaborate."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote

It can be more efficient anyway, particular with as he said
originally, each serving a different part of the house.

It's the servicing (which apparently a lot of
fools pay for every year) that would cost a lot.

The obvious fix for that is to not be that stupid.

This is diy after all.

I don't even service mine myself, I fix it
when it breaks, which so far is never.

That's all I ever do with anything of mine, including the whole house.

What about your car?

Same with that. The Golf only ever got the one oil change in the 35+ years
I used it, it used some oil and I decided that it wasn't worth changing.

The Getz did get its free oil change, largely because I decided that
it wouldn't make any sense not to get that first free service done in
case they tried to welch on a warranty claim. Turned out that I never
needed to make one.

I have got the oil and filter to do an oil change that was due
at 7.5K KM but its now gone past 25K in 5 years and I havent
gotten around to doing it. I don't expect that given how it
gets used that will be any problem life wise.

I may not even bother to change the camshaft belt,
when that is due, it's a non interference motor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote

Don't believe that even in that soggy little island.

I do.

I don't.

Queueing is a British tradition.

English, actually. The rest of the barbarians
never were much into that sort of thing.

And I don't believe that even the english actually
spend anything like 10% of their 'lives' queuing.

I don't know about Australia, but we live longer than 50 years.

Doesn't change the maths much given that few kids
do much queuing in their first 5 years even in england.

I seem to remember queuing for paint and lunch in nursery school.

Few kids are in primary school much in the first 5 years of life.

People seem to accept it, I do not.

That's coz you aint english, stupid.

I've not noticed the English liking queues any more than that Scots.

They clearly do accept them given they queue so much.

No, they detest them,

Clearly not enough to stop queuing like sheep.

but presumably can't see a way to get rid of them.

More fool them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
geoff wrote
Steve Firth wrote

Interesting, I though that it was Skodas
that were traditionally used as skips

A VW becomes a Skoda with old age.

Mine didn't.

You probably maintain it better than me.

Nope. Didn't maintain it at all in fact.

It only got the one oil change in 35+ years.

Are you telling me I could get away without oil changes?

Dunno. It used some oil and I figured that that was something
like what it would get with oil changes, so didn't bother.

Our system does some pretty rigorous emissions testing
on annual car rego checks and that didn't show up higher
wear than normal.

I only stopped using that car because I was stupid enough
to not bother to fix the windscreen seal leak. I knew it could
get a wet floor after very heavy rain and it eventually rusted
a hole in the corner of the floor and I was too lazy to fix that
given that it had given 35+ years of service fine.

I've still got it, I might fix it sometime.

Might not too, still havent gotten around to welding
in the new floor for the trailer and the replacement
car works fine. The replacement car should outlive me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/12 20:30, Lieutenant Scott wrote:
On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 20:07:33 +0100, kent wrote:

On Wednesday, 25 April 2012 20:05:20 UTC+1, Jim K wrote:
On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 19:57:44 +0100, kent wrote:

This is probably a daft idea, but I'd be interesting to see if there is
any mileage in it! Combi boilers tend to work best in smaller
properties, so for a larger property would it be possible (or make any
sense) to have 2 combi boilers serving different parts of the house?
By "larger" I don't mean a mansion I mean a 4 bedroomed house with 3
showers!
Thanks for any thoughts on this.

ah the old ones are always the best....

nope! Thought of it all by myself! Is it that stupid then?

Only as stupid as having two engines in your car.

Well a hybrid has more than one source of motive power. Toyota Prius has 3
sources (internal combustion engine and 2 motor-generators which can operate
in series or in parallel powering front wheels). Peugeot 3008 has 2 sources
(diesel engine for front wheels and one motor powering the rear wheels).
Chevy Volt/Vauxhall Ampera has 4 I think (one motor per wheel)....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 May 2012 12:15:20 +0100, 2BSur2Bsur wrote:

[...]

Yes, but..... have you ever seen a central heating system with more than one fuel?

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

It is OK to let your mind go blank, but please turn off the sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/05/2012 14:52, Lieutenant Scott wrote:
[...]

I have..... saw a house with a gas combi condensing boiler, solar tubes,
wood burner with a back boiler and a heat pump... the lot was all
interconnected via a thermal store which was then used to heat the hot
water and provide the central heating.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 23:04:34 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote

[...]

Well several people have told me that leaving old stale oil in an engine is very bad.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

An actor works all his life to gain recognition.
He makes guest appearances, spends a lot for publicity people and agents etc.
Then, when he finally becomes well known, he complains he cannot go out in public anymore.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 23:08:32 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote

I don't.

English, actually. The rest of the barbarians
never were much into that sort of thing.

And I don't believe that even the english actually
spend anything like 10% of their 'lives' queuing.

I don't know about Australia, but we live longer than 50 years.

Doesn't change the maths much given that few kids
do much queuing in their first 5 years even in england.

I seem to remember queuing for paint and lunch in nursery school.

Few kids are in primary school much in the first 5 years of life.

I said NURSERY school.

That's coz you aint english, stupid.

I've not noticed the English liking queues any more than that Scots.

They clearly do accept them given they queue so much.

No, they detest them,

Clearly not enough to stop queuing like sheep.

but presumably can't see a way to get rid of them.

More fool them.

You seem to mistakenly think the UK is a democracy.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

An actor works all his life to gain recognition.
He makes guest appearances, spends a lot for publicity people and agents etc.
Then, when he finally becomes well known, he complains he cannot go out in public anymore.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 23:15:48 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote

Mine didn't.

You probably maintain it better than me.

Nope. Didn't maintain it at all in fact.

It only got the one oil change in 35+ years.

Are you telling me I could get away without oil changes?

Dunno. It used some oil and I figured that that was something
like what it would get with oil changes, so didn't bother.

Our system does some pretty rigorous emissions testing
on annual car rego checks and that didn't show up higher
wear than normal.

Aren't you leaving gunk and bits of ground steel in the sump though?

I only stopped using that car because I was stupid enough
to not bother to fix the windscreen seal leak. I knew it could
get a wet floor after very heavy rain and it eventually rusted
a hole in the corner of the floor and I was too lazy to fix that
given that it had given 35+ years of service fine.

I get a new windscreen every year or two. My car seems to attract stones flicked up by other vehicles.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

On a Continental Flight with a very "senior" flight attendant crew, the pilot said,
"Ladies and gentlemen, we've reached cruising altitude and will be turning down the cabin lights.
This is for your comfort, and to enhance the appearance of your flight attendants."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Our system does some pretty rigorous emissions testing
on annual car rego checks and that didn't show up higher
wear than normal.

Aren't you leaving gunk and bits of ground steel in the sump though?

He is, but Australian cars are engineered and expected to take neglect
and abuse. ;-)

The smaller lumps of metal and carbon will get stopped by the filter
until it blocks totally, then the relief valve will open, and the engine
will rapidly die. To check on engine wear, you need to sample the oil,
and I doubt very much that is done at the annual test. With modern
electronic engine control, wear doesn't show in the exhaust emissions
until it's very bad, by which time, it's too late.

I only stopped using that car because I was stupid enough
to not bother to fix the windscreen seal leak. I knew it could
get a wet floor after very heavy rain and it eventually rusted
a hole in the corner of the floor and I was too lazy to fix that
given that it had given 35+ years of service fine.

I get a new windscreen every year or two. My car seems to attract
stones flicked up by other vehicles.

You drive too close to the vehicle in front. If you stay at least the
recommended two seconds away outside built up areas, then very few
stones will be flicked up far enough to stay airborne that long and hit
your windscreen. I've only had one windscreen damaged by a stone in the
last 300,000 miles, and that one fell off a lorry that I was overtaking.
A friend of mine once had all the side windows *and* the windscreen of a
coach smashed by gravel when a vehicle on the other carriageway swerved
onto the central reservation of the M11, but you can't do anything to
stop that, and it's only happened to an acquaintance once in over thirty
years that I am aware of.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Our system does some pretty rigorous emissions testing
on annual car rego checks and that didn't show up higher
wear than normal.

Aren't you leaving gunk and bits of ground steel in the sump though?

He is, but Australian cars are engineered and expected to take neglect
and abuse. ;-)

The smaller lumps of metal and carbon will get stopped by the filter
until it blocks totally, then the relief valve will open, and the engine
will rapidly die. To check on engine wear, you need to sample the oil,
and I doubt very much that is done at the annual test. With modern
electronic engine control, wear doesn't show in the exhaust emissions
until it's very bad, by which time, it's too late.

Instead of a relief valve, wouldn't a more sensible idea be to simply cut power to the engine? Very easy to do with modern electronics in cars nowadays.

I only stopped using that car because I was stupid enough
to not bother to fix the windscreen seal leak. I knew it could
get a wet floor after very heavy rain and it eventually rusted
a hole in the corner of the floor and I was too lazy to fix that
given that it had given 35+ years of service fine.

I get a new windscreen every year or two. My car seems to attract
stones flicked up by other vehicles.

You drive too close to the vehicle in front. If you stay at least the
recommended two seconds away outside built up areas, then very few
stones will be flicked up far enough to stay airborne that long and hit
your windscreen.

If everyone left the 2 second gap, only half the number of cars would fit on the road and they'd have to make them all twice as wide.

Surely with modern technology we could have windscreens which were a bit tougher?

I've only had one windscreen damaged by a stone in the
last 300,000 miles, and that one fell off a lorry that I was overtaking.
A friend of mine once had all the side windows *and* the windscreen of a
coach smashed by gravel when a vehicle on the other carriageway swerved
onto the central reservation of the M11, but you can't do anything to
stop that, and it's only happened to an acquaintance once in over thirty
years that I am aware of.

Maybe that's why people don't like me overtaking roadworks queues on the central reservation :-)

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

A pack-a-day smoker will lose approximately 2 teeth every 10 years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lieutenant Scott wrote
2BSur2Bsur wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
kent wrote
Jim K wrote
[...]

Yep, plenty of people use a wood stove and something else as well, oil or
gas.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lieutenant Scott" wrote in message
newsp.wdm32taeytk5n5@i7-940...

wrote:

[...]

Probably took 50 years to pay for itself.

Not with just a wood stove added to a central heating system.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote

[...]

Not if the engine gets nice and hot daily and uses quite a bit.

It clearly didn't do the Golf any harm.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote

I don't.

English, actually. The rest of the barbarians
never were much into that sort of thing.

And I don't believe that even the english actually
spend anything like 10% of their 'lives' queuing.

I don't know about Australia, but we live longer than 50 years.

Doesn't change the maths much given that few kids
do much queuing in their first 5 years even in england.

I seem to remember queuing for paint and lunch in nursery school.

Few kids are in primary school much in the first 5 years of life.

I said NURSERY school.

Few kids are in nursery school much in the first 5 years of life.

That's coz you aint english, stupid.

I've not noticed the English liking queues any more than that Scots.

They clearly do accept them given they queue so much.

No, they detest them,

Clearly not enough to stop queuing like sheep.

but presumably can't see a way to get rid of them.

More fool them.

You seem to mistakenly think the UK is a democracy.

Nope. And queuing has nothing to do with democracy anyway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote

Mine didn't.

You probably maintain it better than me.

Nope. Didn't maintain it at all in fact.

It only got the one oil change in 35+ years.

Are you telling me I could get away without oil changes?

Dunno. It used some oil and I figured that that was something
like what it would get with oil changes, so didn't bother.

Our system does some pretty rigorous emissions testing
on annual car rego checks and that didn't show up higher
wear than normal.

Aren't you leaving gunk and bits of ground steel in the sump though?

Nope, because its burning some oil. There isnt any bits of ground steel.

I only stopped using that car because I was stupid enough
to not bother to fix the windscreen seal leak. I knew it could
get a wet floor after very heavy rain and it eventually rusted
a hole in the corner of the floor and I was too lazy to fix that
given that it had given 35+ years of service fine.

I get a new windscreen every year or two. My car
seems to attract stones flicked up by other vehicles.

I managed to do two in one day, fortunately in work vehicles.

The old bugger who looked after the cars said as he gave us the
second one, 'here, go and break this one'. Never actually saw
anyone's jaw drop like his did when he happened to be out in
the yard as we drove in a bit later with the second one broken.

Combi Boilers Bigal UK diy 5 June 13th 06 10:18 PM
Combi Boilers AMBOONUK Home Repair 1 June 2nd 05 06:31 PM
100,000 BTU Combi Boilers Andrew UK diy 7 April 19th 05 12:45 PM
Combi Boilers Marv UK diy 5 November 2nd 03 11:34 PM
Combi boilers - why? David W.E. Roberts UK diy 10 August 30th 03 09:24 PM