Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 2 combi boilers?

On Tue, 01 May 2012 22:01:13 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote

That's all I ever do with anything of mine, including the whole house.

What about your car?

Same with that. The Golf only ever got the one oil change in the 35+
years
I used it, it used some oil and I decided that it wasn't worth changing.

The Getz did get its free oil change, largely because I decided that
it wouldn't make any sense not to get that first free service done in
case they tried to welch on a warranty claim. Turned out that I never
needed to make one.

I have got the oil and filter to do an oil change that was due
at 7.5K KM but its now gone past 25K in 5 years and I havent
gotten around to doing it. I don't expect that given how it
gets used that will be any problem life wise.

I may not even bother to change the camshaft belt,
when that is due, it's a non interference motor.

Well several people have told me that leaving old stale oil in an engine
is very bad.

Not if the engine gets nice and hot daily and uses quite a bit.

It clearly didn't do the Golf any harm.

Yeah I suppose if it uses a lot of oil. I did the same on a Renault that used oil.

But you probably keep the ground metal in there.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

"Have you read The Three Musketeers?"
"No, only one of them."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 May 2012 22:04:20 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Doesn't change the maths much given that few kids
do much queuing in their first 5 years even in england.

I seem to remember queuing for paint and lunch in nursery school.

Few kids are in primary school much in the first 5 years of life.

I said NURSERY school.

Few kids are in nursery school much in the first 5 years of life.

You have to queue (in a queue of 1) to ask your mother for something when she's on the phone for hours.

They clearly do accept them given they queue so much.

No, they detest them,

Clearly not enough to stop queuing like sheep.

but presumably can't see a way to get rid of them.

More fool them.

You seem to mistakenly think the UK is a democracy.

Nope. And queuing has nothing to do with democracy anyway.

The lack of democracy means we can't change the place much.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 May 2012 22:08:26 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote

Nope. Didn't maintain it at all in fact.

It only got the one oil change in 35+ years.

Are you telling me I could get away without oil changes?

Dunno. It used some oil and I figured that that was something
like what it would get with oil changes, so didn't bother.

Our system does some pretty rigorous emissions testing
on annual car rego checks and that didn't show up higher
wear than normal.

Aren't you leaving gunk and bits of ground steel in the sump though?

Nope, because its burning some oil.

It doesn't burn steel.

There isn't any bits of ground steel.

Of course there is.

I only stopped using that car because I was stupid enough
to not bother to fix the windscreen seal leak. I knew it could
get a wet floor after very heavy rain and it eventually rusted
a hole in the corner of the floor and I was too lazy to fix that
given that it had given 35+ years of service fine.

I get a new windscreen every year or two. My car
seems to attract stones flicked up by other vehicles.

I managed to do two in one day, fortunately in work vehicles.

Best I did was two in one week. First time was my bonnet flying into it after I didn't tie it down well enough, then the second one was a fist sized rock coming off a truck. I saw it land in front of me and thought "phew", then it bounced.....

In hindsight I should have chased the ****ing ******* and made him pay for it.

The old bugger who looked after the cars said as he gave us the
second one, 'here, go and break this one'. Never actually saw
anyone's jaw drop like his did when he happened to be out in
the yard as we drove in a bit later with the second one broken.

Cool!

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

"Flashlights are tubular metal containers kept in a flight bag for the purpose of storing dead batteries."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Williamson wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Our system does some pretty rigorous emissions testing
on annual car rego checks and that didn't show up higher
wear than normal.

Aren't you leaving gunk and bits of ground steel in the sump though?

He is,

Nope.

but Australian cars are engineered and expected to take neglect and abuse.
;-)

It's a kraut car, Golf.

The smaller lumps of metal and carbon will get stopped by the filter until
it blocks totally, then the relief valve will open, and the engine will
rapidly die.

It never did, in 35+ years, still going fine.

To check on engine wear, you need to sample the oil, and I doubt very much
that is done at the annual test.

The annual test does test the exhaust
which is another good test for engine wear.

With modern electronic engine control,

It doesn't have anything like that.

wear doesn't show in the exhaust emissions until it's very bad,

That's just plain wrong.

by which time, it's too late.

And that in spades.

I only stopped using that car because I was stupid enough
to not bother to fix the windscreen seal leak. I knew it could
get a wet floor after very heavy rain and it eventually rusted
a hole in the corner of the floor and I was too lazy to fix that
given that it had given 35+ years of service fine.

I get a new windscreen every year or two. My car seems to attract stones
flicked up by other vehicles.

You drive too close to the vehicle in front.

None of mine have ever come from the vehicle in
front, always from a vehicle coming the other way.

If you stay at least the recommended two seconds away outside built up
areas, then very few stones will be flicked up far enough to stay airborne
that long and hit your windscreen.

Doesn't work with stones that come up from the vehicle coming the other way.

I've only had one windscreen damaged by a stone in the last 300,000 miles,
and that one fell off a lorry that I was overtaking.

You have much better roads than we do.

A friend of mine once had all the side windows *and* the windscreen of a
coach smashed by gravel when a vehicle on the other carriageway swerved
onto the central reservation of the M11, but you can't do anything to stop
that, and it's only happened to an acquaintance once in over thirty years
that I am aware of.

Most of our windscreens are lost to vehicles coming the other way on dirt
roads.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 May 2012 22:26:00 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

John Williamson wrote

but Australian cars are engineered and expected to take neglect and abuse.
;-)

It's a kraut car, Golf.

That'll be why it lasts through your abuse. The Germans do things properly.

I only stopped using that car because I was stupid enough
to not bother to fix the windscreen seal leak. I knew it could
get a wet floor after very heavy rain and it eventually rusted
a hole in the corner of the floor and I was too lazy to fix that
given that it had given 35+ years of service fine.

I get a new windscreen every year or two. My car seems to attract stones
flicked up by other vehicles.

You drive too close to the vehicle in front.

None of mine have ever come from the vehicle in
front, always from a vehicle coming the other way.

I suppose driving fast might exacerbate the problem.

I've only had one windscreen damaged by a stone in the last 300,000 miles,
and that one fell off a lorry that I was overtaking.

You have much better roads than we do.

Do you still have many non-metalled roads when going long distance?

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

"If you have voted after you are dead, there is a good strong possibility that you did something illegal." -- Kevin Shwedo, California DMV director

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lieutenant Scott wrote
John Williamson wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Our system does some pretty rigorous emissions testing
on annual car rego checks and that didn't show up higher
wear than normal.

Aren't you leaving gunk and bits of ground steel in the sump though?

He is, but Australian cars are engineered and expected to take neglect
and abuse. ;-)

Taint an Australian car, either of them.

The smaller lumps of metal and carbon will get stopped by the filter
until it blocks totally, then the relief valve will open, and the engine
will rapidly die. To check on engine wear, you need to sample the oil,
and I doubt very much that is done at the annual test. With modern
electronic engine control, wear doesn't show in the exhaust emissions
until it's very bad, by which time, it's too late.

Instead of a relief valve, wouldn't a more sensible idea be to simply cut
power to the engine?

Nope, that can cause a serious accident.

Very easy to do with modern electronics in cars nowadays.

Makes more sense to have a sensor for bad oil and
have the system flash up a warning on the dash etc.

I only stopped using that car because I was stupid enough
to not bother to fix the windscreen seal leak. I knew it could
get a wet floor after very heavy rain and it eventually rusted
a hole in the corner of the floor and I was too lazy to fix that
given that it had given 35+ years of service fine.

I get a new windscreen every year or two. My car seems to attract
stones flicked up by other vehicles.

You drive too close to the vehicle in front. If you stay at least the
recommended two seconds away outside built up areas, then very few
stones will be flicked up far enough to stay airborne that long and hit
your windscreen.

If everyone left the 2 second gap, only half the number of cars would fit
on the road and they'd have to make them all twice as wide.

Surely with modern technology we could have windscreens which were a bit
tougher?

Fraid not.

I've only had one windscreen damaged by a stone in the
last 300,000 miles, and that one fell off a lorry that I was overtaking.
A friend of mine once had all the side windows *and* the windscreen of a
coach smashed by gravel when a vehicle on the other carriageway swerved
onto the central reservation of the M11, but you can't do anything to
stop that, and it's only happened to an acquaintance once in over thirty
years that I am aware of.

Maybe that's why people don't like me overtaking roadworks queues on the
central reservation :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 May 2012 23:10:39 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

Lieutenant Scott wrote
John Williamson wrote

Bull****. What do you think happens when a car breaks down? What do you think will happen when the engine ****s up because of the crap going through? A seizing engine is considerably more dangerous than an engine with no power. Would you rather drift to a halt or stop immediately?

Very easy to do with modern electronics in cars nowadays.

Makes more sense to have a sensor for bad oil and
have the system flash up a warning on the dash etc.

Yes that too.

[...]

Pathetic isn't it.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

If you jog in a jogging suit, lounge in lounging pajamas, and smoke in a smoking jacket, why would anyone want to wear a windbreaker?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote

Nope. Didn't maintain it at all in fact.

It only got the one oil change in 35+ years.

Are you telling me I could get away without oil changes?

Dunno. It used some oil and I figured that that was something
like what it would get with oil changes, so didn't bother.

Our system does some pretty rigorous emissions testing
on annual car rego checks and that didn't show up higher
wear than normal.

Aren't you leaving gunk and bits of ground steel in the sump though?

Nope, because its burning some oil.

It doesn't burn steel.

The oil filter catches that.

And there is **** all of that anyway.

There isn't any bits of ground steel.

Of course there is.

Not in the sump there isnt. The filter filters that out, stupid.

I only stopped using that car because I was stupid enough
to not bother to fix the windscreen seal leak. I knew it could
get a wet floor after very heavy rain and it eventually rusted
a hole in the corner of the floor and I was too lazy to fix that
given that it had given 35+ years of service fine.

I get a new windscreen every year or two. My car
seems to attract stones flicked up by other vehicles.

I managed to do two in one day, fortunately in work vehicles.

Best I did was two in one week. First time was my bonnet flying into it
after I didn't tie it down well enough, then the second one was a fist
sized rock coming off a truck. I saw it land in front of me and thought
"phew", then it bounced.....

Never had one of those. But then I don't drive
that close to trucks that have loose loads.

In hindsight I should have chased the ****ing ******* and made him pay for
it.

The old bugger who looked after the cars said as he gave us the
second one, 'here, go and break this one'. Never actually saw
anyone's jaw drop like his did when he happened to be out in
the yard as we drove in a bit later with the second one broken.

Cool!

Yeah, mate of mine in fact.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Doesn't change the maths much given that few kids
do much queuing in their first 5 years even in england.

I seem to remember queuing for paint and lunch in nursery school.

Few kids are in primary school much in the first 5 years of life.

I said NURSERY school.

Few kids are in nursery school much in the first 5 years of life.

You have to queue (in a queue of 1) to ask your mother for something when
she's on the phone for hours.

I never did, because she never did.

And none of the rug rats I know now do
anything like queue in that situation either.

They clearly do accept them given they queue so much.

No, they detest them,

Clearly not enough to stop queuing like sheep.

but presumably can't see a way to get rid of them.

More fool them.

You seem to mistakenly think the UK is a democracy.

Nope. And queuing has nothing to do with democracy anyway.

The lack of democracy means we can't change the place much.

Wrong, as always.

There was no democracy when even you lot changed the place heaps in the
past.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Not a lot so much as about what the oil changes would have used.

I did the same on a Renault that used oil.

But you probably keep the ground metal in there.

There is **** all ground metal in a well designed
engine and the filter looks after that fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 May 2012 23:35:05 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
I only stopped using that car because I was stupid enough
to not bother to fix the windscreen seal leak. I knew it could
get a wet floor after very heavy rain and it eventually rusted
a hole in the corner of the floor and I was too lazy to fix that
given that it had given 35+ years of service fine.

I get a new windscreen every year or two. My car
seems to attract stones flicked up by other vehicles.

I managed to do two in one day, fortunately in work vehicles.

Best I did was two in one week. First time was my bonnet flying into it
after I didn't tie it down well enough, then the second one was a fist
sized rock coming off a truck. I saw it land in front of me and thought
"phew", then it bounced.....

Never had one of those. But then I don't drive
that close to trucks that have loose loads.

I wasn't that close, I was about 10 car lengths behind it, in the other lane.

In hindsight I should have chased the ****ing ******* and made him pay for
it.

The old bugger who looked after the cars said as he gave us the
second one, 'here, go and break this one'. Never actually saw
anyone's jaw drop like his did when he happened to be out in
the yard as we drove in a bit later with the second one broken.

Cool!

Yeah, mate of mine in fact.

If I'd have been him my first thought would be that you did it on purpose and I'd be looking for the candid camera.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Mother: "Why are you home from school so early?"
Son: "I was the only one who could answer my maths teacher's question."
Mother: "Oh, really? What was her question?
Son: "Who threw the paper aeroplane at me?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 May 2012 23:38:48 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote

Few kids are in primary school much in the first 5 years of life.

I said NURSERY school.

Few kids are in nursery school much in the first 5 years of life.

You have to queue (in a queue of 1) to ask your mother for something when
she's on the phone for hours.

I never did, because she never did.

And none of the rug rats I know now do
anything like queue in that situation either.

Ok so 5 years was probably an exaggeration, or a mistake. I could believe 5 months.

Clearly not enough to stop queuing like sheep.

More fool them.

You seem to mistakenly think the UK is a democracy.

Nope. And queuing has nothing to do with democracy anyway.

The lack of democracy means we can't change the place much.

Wrong, as always.

There was no democracy when even you lot changed the place heaps in the
past.

We've never changed thing by much at once.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

This guy's in the rear of a full elevator and he shouts, "Ballroom please."
A lady standing in front of him turns around and says, "I'm sorry, I didn't realize I was crowding you."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 May 2012 23:42:09 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote

[...]

But we're both talking about old cars here.

So do you change the filters often?

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

"Click cancel to discontinue starting" - Mac OS 9
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
John Williamson wrote

but Australian cars are engineered and expected to take neglect and
abuse.
;-)

It's a kraut car, Golf.

That'll be why it lasts through your abuse. The Germans do things
properly.

It isnt abuse when it uses something like the oil you'd put in
it with scheduled oil changes given that the scheduled oil
changes are for the worst likely conditions the car is used in.

And I never skimped on the oil I did put in it, good quality brand name oil.

I only stopped using that car because I was stupid enough
to not bother to fix the windscreen seal leak. I knew it could
get a wet floor after very heavy rain and it eventually rusted
a hole in the corner of the floor and I was too lazy to fix that
given that it had given 35+ years of service fine.

I get a new windscreen every year or two. My car seems to attract
stones flicked up by other vehicles.

You drive too close to the vehicle in front.

None of mine have ever come from the vehicle in
front, always from a vehicle coming the other way.

I suppose driving fast might exacerbate the problem.

Yeah, it certainly does help to slow down when passing
coming in the other direction on a dirt road with lots of
stones on it. And we don't see huge volumes of traffic
on those roads, so it doesn't affect the trip time much.

I've only had one windscreen damaged by a stone in the last 300,000
miles, and that one fell off a lorry that I was overtaking.

You have much better roads than we do.

Do you still have many non-metalled roads when going long distance?

Yeah, heaps. And ****ing horribly corrugated as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 May 2012 23:54:51 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
John Williamson wrote

I've only had one windscreen damaged by a stone in the last 300,000
miles, and that one fell off a lorry that I was overtaking.

You have much better roads than we do.

Do you still have many non-metalled roads when going long distance?

Yeah, heaps. And ****ing horribly corrugated as well.

Sounds like the quality of metalled roads in the UK :-)

I'm not sure which is worse, the potholes or the speedbumps. Now if only they could melt them and have one flow into the other.....

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

The scientific theory I Iike best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline Luggage. -- Mark Russell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
John Williamson wrote

The smaller lumps of metal and carbon will get stopped by the filter
until it blocks totally, then the relief valve will open, and the
engine
will rapidly die. To check on engine wear, you need to sample the oil,
and I doubt very much that is done at the annual test. With modern
electronic engine control, wear doesn't show in the exhaust emissions
until it's very bad, by which time, it's too late.

Instead of a relief valve, wouldn't a more sensible idea be to simply
cut power to the engine?

Nope, that can cause a serious accident.

Bull****.

Fact.

What do you think happens when a car breaks down?

They don't often lose power completely instantly
and that can cause a serious accident when they do.

What do you think will happen when the engine ****s up because of the crap
going through?

They don't often lose power completely instantly
and that can cause a serious accident when they do.

A seizing engine is considerably more dangerous than an engine with no
power.

You don't get a siezed engine that way.

Would you rather drift to a halt or stop immediately?

Depends on the driver and the transmission in the car.

Very easy to do with modern electronics in cars nowadays.

Makes more sense to have a sensor for bad oil and
have the system flash up a warning on the dash etc.

Yes that too.

That instead, actually.

No car manufacturer is actually stupid enough to cut the
engine as soon as the oil pressure warning light comes on.

For a reason.

[...]

Nope, no one has invented on that will also be viable in an accident.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote

[...]

Yebbut, he knows me a lot better than you do.

And there were no candid cameras in those days anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote

You have to queue (in a queue of 1) to ask your mother for something
when she's on the phone for hours.

I never did, because she never did.

And none of the rug rats I know now do
anything like queue in that situation either.

Ok so 5 years was probably an exaggeration, or a mistake. I could believe
5 months.

Be interesting to know what the real figure is,
particularly with those who don't use buses and trains.

Clearly not enough to stop queuing like sheep.

More fool them.

You seem to mistakenly think the UK is a democracy.

Nope. And queuing has nothing to do with democracy anyway.

The lack of democracy means we can't change the place much.

Wrong, as always.

There was no democracy when even you lot changed the place heaps in the
past.

We've never changed thing by much at once.

Wrong, as always.

Changed much more than that at once in fact.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote

[...]

Sure, but that Golf always was a well designed car.

So do you change the filters often?

Nope, but the oil pressure light will tell
me when enough oil isnt getting thru it.

I'd certainly change it if that happened.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 May 2012 00:06:30 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
John Williamson wrote

[...]

No, you drift to a halt in a controlled manner. Try it. Your car has momentum, it continues for some time.

You drive too close to the vehicle in front. If you stay at least the
recommended two seconds away outside built up areas, then very few
stones will be flicked up far enough to stay airborne that long and hit
your windscreen.

If everyone left the 2 second gap, only half the number of cars would
fit on the road and they'd have to make them all twice as wide.

Surely with modern technology we could have windscreens which were a bit
tougher?

Fraid not.

Pathetic isn't it.

Nope, no one has invented on that will also be viable in an accident.

I mean it's pathetic that such a thing hasn't been invented.

A plastic one would be fine, except presumably they scratch easily.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

A guy bought his wife a beautiful diamond ring for Christmas.
A friend of his said, "I thought she wanted one of those sporty 4-Wheel drive vehicles."
"She did," he replied. "But where in the hell was I gonna find a fake Jeep?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
John Williamson wrote

I've only had one windscreen damaged by a stone in the last
300,000 miles, and that one fell off a lorry that I was overtaking.

You have much better roads than we do.

Do you still have many non-metalled roads when going long distance?

Yeah, heaps. And ****ing horribly corrugated as well.

Sounds like the quality of metalled roads in the UK :-)

You've clearly never tried one of the worst of ours.

Some of ours have long holes you can lose an entire 4WD wheel in.

I'm not sure which is worse, the potholes or the speedbumps.
Now if only they could melt them and have one flow into the other.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
John Williamson wrote

[...]

And you seriously believe that all the drivers on the roads
can do that 100% reliably ?

Fortunately all the car manufacturers know better and
arent that stupid when they can flash a warning instead.

Try it. Your car has momentum, it continues for some time.

And can get rammed up the arse by some hoon kid like you behind them.

You drive too close to the vehicle in front. If you stay at least the
recommended two seconds away outside built up areas, then very few
stones will be flicked up far enough to stay airborne that long and
hit your windscreen.

If everyone left the 2 second gap, only half the number of cars would
fit on the road and they'd have to make them all twice as wide.

Surely with modern technology we could have windscreens which were a
bit tougher?

Fraid not.

Pathetic isn't it.

Nope, no one has invented on that will also be viable in an accident.

I mean it's pathetic that such a thing hasn't been invented.

It has actually, most obviously with bullet proof
glass that the worst of the politicians cower behind.

A plastic one would be fine, except presumably they scratch easily.

Yep.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 May 2012 00:21:52 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote

You have to queue (in a queue of 1) to ask your mother for something
when she's on the phone for hours.

I never did, because she never did.

And none of the rug rats I know now do
anything like queue in that situation either.

Ok so 5 years was probably an exaggeration, or a mistake. I could believe
5 months.

Be interesting to know what the real figure is,
particularly with those who don't use buses and trains.

Those queue at the petrol stations. And at traffic lights.

Nope. And queuing has nothing to do with democracy anyway.

The lack of democracy means we can't change the place much.

Wrong, as always.

There was no democracy when even you lot changed the place heaps in the
past.

We've never changed thing by much at once.

Wrong, as always.

Changed much more than that at once in fact.

Depends what you call change.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Does the Little Mermaid wear an algebra?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 May 2012 00:25:18 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
I did the same on a Renault that used oil.

But you probably keep the ground metal in there.

There is **** all ground metal in a well designed
engine and the filter looks after that fine.

But we're both talking about old cars here.

Sure, but that Golf always was a well designed car.

Oh I dunno, the electric windows fail easily.

So do you change the filters often?

Nope, but the oil pressure light will tell
me when enough oil isnt getting thru it.

I'd certainly change it if that happened.

You have a point. I think most cars are serviced when they don't really need to be. I did have a couple of cars I never serviced, and I don't recall any more problems with them than the ones I did.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Complete with obligatory low frequency bass, electrically recorded on a four track in two hours. This has enough power to destroy the most expensive washing machine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote

You have to queue (in a queue of 1) to ask your mother
for something when she's on the phone for hours.

I never did, because she never did.

And none of the rug rats I know now do
anything like queue in that situation either.

Ok so 5 years was probably an exaggeration,
or a mistake. I could believe 5 months.

Be interesting to know what the real figure is,
particularly with those who don't use buses and trains.

Those queue at the petrol stations.

Don't get them here.

And at traffic lights.

Those arent queues.

Nope. And queuing has nothing to do with democracy anyway.

The lack of democracy means we can't change the place much.

Wrong, as always.

There was no democracy when even you
lot changed the place heaps in the past.

We've never changed thing by much at once.

Wrong, as always.

Changed much more than that at once in fact.

Depends what you call change.

Nope.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
I did the same on a Renault that used oil.

But you probably keep the ground metal in there.

There is **** all ground metal in a well designed
engine and the filter looks after that fine.

But we're both talking about old cars here.

Sure, but that Golf always was a well designed car.

Oh I dunno, the electric windows fail easily.

There were no electric windows in the old Golf's stupid.

So do you change the filters often?

Nope, but the oil pressure light will tell
me when enough oil isnt getting thru it.

I'd certainly change it if that happened.

You have a point. I think most cars are
serviced when they don't really need to be.

Not sure how true that is now with the
service now being pretty minimal now.

I did have a couple of cars I never serviced, and I don't
recall any more problems with them than the ones I did.

Yeah, I had very minimal problems with the Golf, just
an alternator regulator and distributor rotor and they
wouldn't have been due to the lack of servicing.

Didn't keep the Beetle before it long enough to be
much of a test on that. I replaced it with the Golf
because the ****ing great Alsatian used lobber down
the back of my neck in summer with his head out the
driver's window. He got his own window in the Golf.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 May 2012 21:06:44 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote

I never did, because she never did.

And none of the rug rats I know now do
anything like queue in that situation either.

Ok so 5 years was probably an exaggeration,
or a mistake. I could believe 5 months.

Be interesting to know what the real figure is,
particularly with those who don't use buses and trains.

Those queue at the petrol stations.

Don't get them here.

We got it here recently when most of the population were so ****ing stupid they all stockpiled petrol because they thought there might be a shortage due to an impending strike. They actually CREATED a shortage by their own actions.

And at traffic lights.

Those arent queues.

Of course they bloody are. You are waiting in line to do something.

Wrong, as always.

There was no democracy when even you
lot changed the place heaps in the past.

We've never changed thing by much at once.

Wrong, as always.

Changed much more than that at once in fact.

Depends what you call change.

Nope.

Yip.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Why do tourists go to the top of tall buildings and then put money in telescopes so they can see things on the ground in close-up?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote

Ok so 5 years was probably an exaggeration,
or a mistake. I could believe 5 months.

Be interesting to know what the real figure is,
particularly with those who don't use buses and trains.

Those queue at the petrol stations.

Don't get them here.

We got it here recently when most of the population were so
****ing stupid they all stockpiled petrol because they thought
there might be a shortage due to an impending strike. They
actually CREATED a shortage by their own actions.

Doesn't happen often enough to produce anything like 5 months
in a lifetime even on that soggy little island with lots that stupid.

And at traffic lights.

Those arent queues.

Of course they bloody are.

Wrong, as always.

You are waiting in line to do something.

It's a traffic light, not a queue, stupid.

There was no democracy when even you
lot changed the place heaps in the past.

We've never changed thing by much at once.

Wrong, as always.

Changed much more than that at once in fact.

Depends what you call change.

Nope.

Yip.

Nope, fido.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 May 2012 18:26:43 +0100, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

Yes, but..... have you ever seen a central heating system with

more
than one fuel?

I have..... saw a house with a gas combi condensing boiler, solar
tubes, wood burner with a back boiler and a heat pump... the lot

was
all interconnected via a thermal store which was then used to heat

the
hot water and provide the central heating.

Similar to what we have now but with an conventional oil boiler and
no heat pump.

Probably took 50 years to pay for itself.

The system has saved us something over £500 in oil this winter (Nov -
April inc). We have paid £400 for logs though. The brief period of
decent weather we had at the end of March indicated that the Solar
Thermal should be able to provide the vast majority of the ho****er
through the summer. So probably another £500 saving on oil and no
logs... Payback 10 years or so, assuming oil stays at the current
price oinkflapoinkflap.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 May 2012 19:15:19 +0100, John Williamson wrote:

You drive too close to the vehicle in front. If you stay at least the
recommended two seconds away outside built up areas, then very few
stones will be flicked up far enough to stay airborne that long and hit
your windscreen.

The vast majority of stones that have pinged of windscreens of cars
I've had have been kicked up by something going in the opposite
direction inside the "2 second rule distance".

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 May 2012 23:08:21 +0100, Dave Liquorice wrote:

[...]

Jesus christ what size is your house?

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Wife to husband: "What's your excuse for coming home at this time of night?"
Husband to wife: "Golfing with friends, my dear."
Wife to husband: "What? At 2A.M.?!"
Husband to wife: "Yes, We used night clubs."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote
John Williamson wrote

You drive too close to the vehicle in front. If you stay at least the
recommended two seconds away outside built up areas, then very few
stones will be flicked up far enough to stay airborne that long and hit
your windscreen.

The vast majority of stones that have pinged of windscreens
of cars I've had have been kicked up by something going in
the opposite direction inside the "2 second rule distance".

Yeah, me too.

In spades with dirt roads which is where we get the
absolute vast bulk of windscreen damage to cars.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 May 2012 23:30:42 +0100, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

The system has saved us something over ú500 in oil this winter

(Nov -
April inc). We have paid ú400 for logs though.

Jesus christ what size is your house?

Adequate.

The big problem is the location, high and exposed. Our Daffodils are
only just over but some on the roadside near by are still in full
bloom. Trees are yet to seriously break bud, they thought about it at
the end of March but have done very little since then. It was trying
to snow a few days ago and the fell tops got a covereing of white.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 May 2012 01:10:55 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote

Nope, that can cause a serious accident.

Bull****.

Fact.

What do you think happens when a car breaks down?

They don't often lose power completely instantly
and that can cause a serious accident when they do.

What do you think will happen when the engine ****s up because of the
crap going through?

They don't often lose power completely instantly
and that can cause a serious accident when they do.

No, you drift to a halt in a controlled manner.

And you seriously believe that all the drivers on the roads
can do that 100% reliably ?

Fortunately all the car manufacturers know better and
arent that stupid when they can flash a warning instead.

It's pretty easy. Anyone can do it.

Try it. Your car has momentum, it continues for some time.

And can get rammed up the arse by some hoon kid like you behind them.

If your engine seized and you stopped almost instantly maybe. I'm talking about losing power, not locking the wheels.

Fraid not.

Pathetic isn't it.

Nope, no one has invented on that will also be viable in an accident..

I mean it's pathetic that such a thing hasn't been invented.

It has actually, most obviously with bullet proof
glass that the worst of the politicians cower behind.

I take it that's too expensive for the rest of us?

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

FOR SALE BY OWNER. Complete set of Encyclopedia Britannica , 45 volumes.
Excellent condition, £200 or best offer.
No longer needed, got married, wife knows everything.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lieutenant Scott wrote:
On Wed, 02 May 2012 01:10:55 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote

[...]

It still chips and cracks when the bullets or stones hit it. It just
does a better job of stopping them than normal glass. It's also very
thick and heavy.

The main problem with it after an accident is when the emergency
services need to remove the windscreen to get you out through the handy
gap it leaves without having to cut the car apart.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 May 2012 21:12:59 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote

There is **** all ground metal in a well designed
engine and the filter looks after that fine.

But we're both talking about old cars here.

Sure, but that Golf always was a well designed car.

Oh I dunno, the electric windows fail easily.

There were no electric windows in the old Golf's stupid.

That was only one example.

So do you change the filters often?

Nope, but the oil pressure light will tell
me when enough oil isnt getting thru it.

I'd certainly change it if that happened.

You have a point. I think most cars are
serviced when they don't really need to be.

Not sure how true that is now with the
service now being pretty minimal now.

I've been giving my golf an "inspection service" and an oil and filter change when it requests it. I think I may be wasting money.

I did have a couple of cars I never serviced, and I don't
recall any more problems with them than the ones I did.

Yeah, I had very minimal problems with the Golf, just
an alternator regulator and distributor rotor and they
wouldn't have been due to the lack of servicing.

My alternator packed in.

Didn't keep the Beetle before it long enough to be
much of a test on that. I replaced it with the Golf
because the ****ing great Alsatian used lobber down
the back of my neck in summer with his head out the
driver's window. He got his own window in the Golf.

Good enough reason.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

"Take off lid and push up bottom." (From a stick deodorant label)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 May 2012 22:48:41 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote

Be interesting to know what the real figure is,
particularly with those who don't use buses and trains.

Those queue at the petrol stations.

Don't get them here.

We got it here recently when most of the population were so
****ing stupid they all stockpiled petrol because they thought
there might be a shortage due to an impending strike. They
actually CREATED a shortage by their own actions.

Doesn't happen often enough to produce anything like 5 months
in a lifetime even on that soggy little island with lots that stupid.

There are many places you queue: on the telephone, in a shop, at lights, ......

And at traffic lights.

Those arent queues.

Of course they bloody are.

Wrong, as always.

You are waiting in line to do something.

It's a traffic light, not a queue, stupid.

It's a row of people waiting to go. That is a queue.

Wrong, as always.

Changed much more than that at once in fact.

Depends what you call change.

Nope.

Yip.

Nope, fido.

Of course it does. A miniscule change isn't worth reporting home about.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Excuse me, are you reading that paper you're sitting on?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 May 2012 00:31:11 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
John Williamson wrote

You have much better roads than we do.

Do you still have many non-metalled roads when going long distance?

Yeah, heaps. And ****ing horribly corrugated as well.

Sounds like the quality of metalled roads in the UK :-)

You've clearly never tried one of the worst of ours.

Some of ours have long holes you can lose an entire 4WD wheel in.

Well according to my MP, we have a "pothole crisis".

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

At Sunday school the teacher asked little Johnny, "Do you know where little boys and girls go when they do bad things?"
"Sure," little Johnny replied. "They go out in the back of the church yard."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote

Nope, that can cause a serious accident.

Bull****.

Fact.

What do you think happens when a car breaks down?

They don't often lose power completely instantly
and that can cause a serious accident when they do.

What do you think will happen when the engine
****s up because of the crap going through?

They don't often lose power completely instantly
and that can cause a serious accident when they do.

No, you drift to a halt in a controlled manner.

And you seriously believe that all the drivers
on the roads can do that 100% reliably ?

Fortunately all the car manufacturers know better and
arent that stupid when they can flash a warning instead.

It's pretty easy. Anyone can do it.

You can say the same thing about driving a car too.

Plenty manage to **** that up at times too.

Specially with something like that you don't do very often at all.

Try it. Your car has momentum, it continues for some time.

And can get rammed up the arse by some hoon kid like you behind them.

If your engine seized and you stopped almost instantly maybe.
I'm talking about losing power, not locking the wheels.

Plenty have got rammed up the arse by some hoon kid like you
in those circumstances too, essentially because the brake lights
don't come on and the stupid hoon kid just rams you up the arse.

Anyway, whatever you 'think' the car manufacturers aren't actually
that stupid when they can flash a warning on the dash instead.

Fraid not.

Pathetic isn't it.

Nope, no one has invented on that will also be viable in an accident.

I mean it's pathetic that such a thing hasn't been invented.

It has actually, most obviously with bullet proof
glass that the worst of the politicians cower behind.

I take it that's too expensive for the rest of us?

Yep and its so thick that fitting it aint trivial either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote

Be interesting to know what the real figure is,
particularly with those who don't use buses and trains.

Those queue at the petrol stations.

Don't get them here.

We got it here recently when most of the population were so
****ing stupid they all stockpiled petrol because they thought
there might be a shortage due to an impending strike. They
actually CREATED a shortage by their own actions.

Doesn't happen often enough to produce anything like 5 months
in a lifetime even on that soggy little island with lots that stupid.

There are many places you queue: on the telephone,

Nope. I hardly ever ring operations like that.

in a shop,

Nope, I normally use the self checkouts and normally
when there is hardly anyone else around too.

If the few shops where I don't get instant service,
we don't bother to queue.

at lights, ......

That's not queuing, stupid.

And at traffic lights.

Those arent queues.

Of course they bloody are.

Wrong, as always.

You are waiting in line to do something.

It's a traffic light, not a queue, stupid.

It's a row of people waiting to go.

You quite sure you aint one of those rocket scientist fellas ?

That is a queue.

Wrong, as always.

We don't queue at garage/yard sales that havent
opened yet either. We just stand around talking,
and then swarm when it opens.

Wrong, as always.

Changed much more than that at once in fact.

Depends what you call change.

Nope.

Yip.

Nope, fido.

Of course it does.

Nope.

A miniscule change isn't worth reporting home about.

Those werent miniscule changes, fido.

Combi Boilers Bigal UK diy 5 June 13th 06 10:18 PM
Combi Boilers AMBOONUK Home Repair 1 June 2nd 05 06:31 PM
100,000 BTU Combi Boilers Andrew UK diy 7 April 19th 05 12:45 PM
Combi Boilers Marv UK diy 5 November 2nd 03 11:34 PM
Combi boilers - why? David W.E. Roberts UK diy 10 August 30th 03 09:24 PM