Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Why aren't all screws pozidrive?

I go out of my way to get pozidrive screws - what's the big idea with people still using straight ones? Eg in sockets.

Pozidrive selfcentres, and doesn't slip out. And I find it's less likely to burr.

Yes torx would be even better, but pozidrive is a start.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

It's an age-old truism. Men will quickly fall asleep after having sex.
And I know why, too.
It's because they've been up half the night begging for it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lieutenant Scott wrote:
I go out of my way to get pozidrive screws - what's the big idea with
people still using straight ones? Eg in sockets.
Pozidrive selfcentres, and doesn't slip out.

Ooh err missus.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message op.v650f0lsytk5n5@i7-940, Lieutenant Scott
wrote
I go out of my way to get pozidrive screws - what's the big idea with
people still using straight ones? Eg in sockets.

Pozidrive selfcentres, and doesn't slip out. And I find it's less
likely to burr.

Yes torx would be even better, but pozidrive is a start.

I was attempting to fit a couple of cheap "made in China" TV sockets
today. In each socket, 4 screws in total and 3 different styles of cross
heads.

Designed by someone who has never had to fix 6/7mm coax cable to a
wall socket.
--
Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2011 9:27 a.m., Lieutenant Scott wrote:
I go out of my way to get pozidrive screws - what's the big idea with
people still using straight ones? Eg in sockets.

Pozidrive selfcentres, and doesn't slip out. And I find it's less likely
to burr.

Yes torx would be even better, but pozidrive is a start.

Builders in these parts seem to be adopting screws with a square hole
(don't know what they're called). They allow very high torque to be
applied.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gib Bogle wrote:

Builders in these parts seem to be adopting screws with a square hole
(don't know what they're called). They allow very high torque to be
applied.

Robertson screw I think ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Gib Bogle wrote:
On 28/12/2011 9:27 a.m., Lieutenant Scott wrote:
I go out of my way to get pozidrive screws - what's the big idea with
people still using straight ones? Eg in sockets.

Pozidrive selfcentres, and doesn't slip out. And I find it's less likely
to burr.

Yes torx would be even better, but pozidrive is a start.

Builders in these parts seem to be adopting screws with a square hole
(don't know what they're called). They allow very high torque to be
applied.

Robertson - standard in Canada, I'm told.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.16

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 27, 8:27*pm, "Lieutenant Scott" wrote:
I go out of my way to get pozidrive screws - what's the big idea with people still using straight ones? *Eg in sockets.

Pozidrive selfcentres, and doesn't slip out. *And I find it's less likely to burr.

Yes torx would be even better, but pozidrive is a start.

looks

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 20:34:31 -0000, ARWadsworth wrote:

Lieutenant Scott wrote:
I go out of my way to get pozidrive screws - what's the big idea with
people still using straight ones? Eg in sockets.
Pozidrive selfcentres, and doesn't slip out.

Ooh err missus.

Always grease the shaft.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

They say confuscious does his crosswords with a pen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 21:44:22 -0000, Alan wrote:

In message op.v650f0lsytk5n5@i7-940, Lieutenant Scott
wrote
I go out of my way to get pozidrive screws - what's the big idea with
people still using straight ones? Eg in sockets.

Pozidrive selfcentres, and doesn't slip out. And I find it's less
likely to burr.

Yes torx would be even better, but pozidrive is a start.

I was attempting to fit a couple of cheap "made in China" TV sockets
today. In each socket, 4 screws in total and 3 different styles of cross
heads.

Designed by someone who has never had to fix 6/7mm coax cable to a
wall socket.

At least they were crossheads.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Paddy and his wife are lying in bed and the neighbours' dog is barking like mad in the garden.
Paddy says "To hell with this!" and storms off.
He comes back upstairs 5 minutes later and his wife asks "What did you do?"
Paddy replies "I've put the dog in our garden. Let's see how they like it!"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 22:36:52 -0000, Gib Bogle wrote:

On 28/12/2011 9:27 a.m., Lieutenant Scott wrote:
I go out of my way to get pozidrive screws - what's the big idea with
people still using straight ones? Eg in sockets.

Pozidrive selfcentres, and doesn't slip out. And I find it's less likely
to burr.

Yes torx would be even better, but pozidrive is a start.

Builders in these parts seem to be adopting screws with a square hole
(don't know what they're called). They allow very high torque to be
applied.

Is the shaft of the screw equally strong? I've snapped screws by applying too much torque.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Many years ago in Scotland, a new game was invented. It was ruled "Gentlemen Only...Ladies Forbidden"...and thus the word GOLF entered into the English language.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 22:51:12 -0000, NT wrote:

On Dec 27, 8:27 pm, "Lieutenant Scott" wrote:
I go out of my way to get pozidrive screws - what's the big idea with people still using straight ones? Eg in sockets.

Pozidrive selfcentres, and doesn't slip out. And I find it's less likely to burr.

Yes torx would be even better, but pozidrive is a start.

looks

could kill.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

If you are going to try cross-country skiing, start with a small country.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article op.v650f0lsytk5n5@i7-940,
Lieutenant Scott wrote:
I go out of my way to get pozidrive screws - what's the big idea with
people still using straight ones? Eg in sockets.

Pozidriv look cheap and nasty. I won't use them where they show.

--
*Why isn't there a special name for the back of your knee?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/12/2011 22:58, Lieutenant Scott wrote:
On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 22:51:12 -0000, NT wrote:

On Dec 27, 8:27 pm, "Lieutenant Scott" wrote:
I go out of my way to get pozidrive screws - what's the big idea with
people still using straight ones? Eg in sockets.

Pozidrive selfcentres, and doesn't slip out. And I find it's less
likely to burr.

Yes torx would be even better, but pozidrive is a start.

looks

like one day all prison officers will be Poles

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 27, 11:39*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Pozidriv look cheap and nasty. I won't use them where they show.

Oh kind of, it's an age thing and I'm young enough to remember slotted
but it's a bit prissy (in me too).

Torx (or less so Allen) look better than than slotted to me, although
it's a bit context dependent.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lieutenant Scott" wrote in message
newsp.v650f0lsytk5n5@i7-940...
I go out of my way to get pozidrive screws - what's the big idea with
people still using straight ones? Eg in sockets.

Pozidrive selfcentres, and doesn't slip out. And I find it's less likely
to burr.

Yes torx would be even better, but pozidrive is a start.

Even more annoying ius when they are cross haed of inderterminate type ...
no extra x so they they be phillips ... yet angle is wrong and Phillipos
drivers simply cam out.

As to why we won;t go all Pozi ... simple, US uses choses not to use Pozi.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 27, 9:44*pm, Alan wrote:
In message op.v650f0lsytk5n5@i7-940, Lieutenant Scott
wrote

I go out of my way to get pozidrive screws - what's the big idea with
people still using straight ones? *Eg in sockets.

Pozidrive selfcentres, and doesn't slip out. *And I find it's less
likely to burr.

Yes torx would be even better, but pozidrive is a start.

I was attempting to fit a couple of cheap "made in China" TV sockets
today. In each socket, 4 screws in total and 3 different styles of cross
heads.

Designed *by someone who has never had to fix *6/7mm coax cable to a
wall socket.

It's easier if you take the wall away.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 01:51:42 +0000, Rick Hughes wrote:
As to why we won;t go all Pozi ... simple, US uses choses not to use
Pozi.

Yes, they don't seem very common here - it's all Phillips for normal
work, and Robertson or Torx for anything that needs something a bit more
heavy-duty. Or at least, that's what I've found on the DIY side of
things, anyway.

It makes sense to me though - there's no point throwing another standard
into the pot when what you have covers all bases.

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 28, 1:51*am, "Rick Hughes"
wrote:
"Lieutenant Scott" wrote in message

news[email protected] go out of my way to get pozidrive screws - what's the big idea with
people still using straight ones? *Eg in sockets.

Pozidrive selfcentres, and doesn't slip out. *And I find it's less likely
to burr.

Yes torx would be even better, but pozidrive is a start.

Even more annoying ius when they are cross haed of inderterminate type ....

Reed and Prince is one sufficiently different (thinner) from a
Philip's to warrant a seperate driver and there was another which was
like the pozi dimensionally but without the gripper and this could be
made from a Philip's driver by filing back.
I came across another simple cross head "common" design in electrical
and cabinet work in which the blade thickness of the driver narrowed
to the edge of the screw head but can't remenber the name of this one
either.

no extra x so they they be phillips ... yet angle is wrong and Phillipos
drivers simply cam out.

Sometimes it's just a truncated philips head that is required, touch
the end of the driver with a grinder.

As to why we won;t go all Pozi ... simple, US uses choses not to use Pozi..

GKN have the rights to it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 27, 8:27*pm, "Lieutenant Scott" wrote:
I go out of my way to get pozidrive screws - what's the big idea with people still using straight ones? *Eg in sockets.

Pozidrive selfcentres, and doesn't slip out. *And I find it's less likely to burr.

Yes torx would be even better, but pozidrive is a start.

--http://petersparrots.comhttp://petersphotos.com

It's an age-old truism. *Men will quickly fall asleep after having sex.
And I know why, too.
It's because they've been up half the night begging for it.

A straight screwdriver can be sharpened forever.
Pozidrive a couple of times if you're careful.

Pozidrive is only practcal on hardened screws.

The head on pozidrive is quite easy to chew up too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
On Dec 27, 8:27 pm, "Lieutenant Scott" wrote:

The head on pozidrive is quite easy to chew up too.

When using quality screws and bits/screwdriver of the correct size, they do
not chew up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lieutenant Scott :
I go out of my way to get pozidrive screws - what's the big idea with
people still using straight ones? Eg in sockets.

Screws on electrical terminals generally have slotted heads. Perhaps
someone can explain why. Similarly they generally have very fine threads
- I don't know whether there's a connection g.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I blame the screwdriver makers myself. I actually never saw a socket head or
posi screw till I was at least 25.. The correct screwdriver for the slot
used to help a lot though.
Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
"Lieutenant Scott" wrote in message
newsp.v650f0lsytk5n5@i7-940...
I go out of my way to get pozidrive screws - what's the big idea with
people still using straight ones? Eg in sockets.

Pozidrive selfcentres, and doesn't slip out. And I find it's less likely
to burr.

Yes torx would be even better, but pozidrive is a start.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

It's an age-old truism. Men will quickly fall asleep after having sex.
And I know why, too.
It's because they've been up half the night begging for it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 19:34:45 -0800 (PST), thirty-six
wrote:

On Dec 28, 1:51*am, "Rick Hughes"
wrote:

As to why we won;t go all Pozi ... simple, US uses choses not to use Pozi.

GKN have the rights to it.

....in the UK and possibly in some bits of the old empire.

Have a look who invented Posidriv and in what country, the answer
surprises many. It wasn't GKN, nor in the UK.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 28, 9:21*am, The Other Mike
wrote:
On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 19:34:45 -0800 (PST), thirty-six

wrote:
On Dec 28, 1:51*am, "Rick Hughes"
wrote:

As to why we won;t go all Pozi ... simple, US uses choses not to use Pozi.

GKN have the rights to it.

...in the UK and possibly in some bits of the old empire.

Have a look who invented Posidriv and in what country, *the answer
surprises many. It wasn't GKN, nor in the UK.

--

Bit on the topic here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screw_head
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Other Mike" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 19:34:45 -0800 (PST), thirty-six
wrote:

On Dec 28, 1:51 am, "Rick Hughes"
wrote:

As to why we won;t go all Pozi ... simple, US uses choses not to use
Pozi.

GKN have the rights to it.

...in the UK and possibly in some bits of the old empire.

Have a look who invented Posidriv and in what country, the answer
surprises many. It wasn't GKN, nor in the UK.

Philips in the USA.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Doctor Drivel wrote:

"harry" wrote in message
On Dec 27, 8:27 pm, "Lieutenant Scott" wrote:

The head on pozidrive is quite easy to chew up too.

When using quality screws and bits/screwdriver of the correct size, they
do not chew up.

but when someone has painted over the screw head, slotted screws can be
cleaned out before undoing - not something that can be sone with either of
the P types.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.16

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 08:42:32 +0000, Doctor Drivel wrote:

"harry" wrote in message

On Dec 27, 8:27 pm, "Lieutenant Scott" wrote:

The head on pozidrive is quite easy to chew up too.

When using quality screws and bits/screwdriver of the correct size, they
do not chew up.

That's only because you hacksaw a slot in them so that you can use your
blunt penknife.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 09:30:14 +0000, Doctor Drivel wrote:

"The Other Mike" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 19:34:45 -0800 (PST), thirty-six
wrote:

On Dec 28, 1:51 am, "Rick Hughes"
wrote:

As to why we won;t go all Pozi ... simple, US uses choses not to use
Pozi.

GKN have the rights to it.

...in the UK and possibly in some bits of the old empire.

Have a look who invented Posidriv and in what country, the answer
surprises many. It wasn't GKN, nor in the UK.

Philips in the USA.

Phillips.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Eager
wrote

"harry" wrote in message

On Dec 27, 8:27 pm, "Lieutenant Scott" wrote:

The head on pozidrive is quite easy to chew up too.

When using quality screws and bits/screwdriver of the correct size, they
do not chew up.

That's only because you hacksaw a slot in them so that you can use your
blunt penknife.

Sacrificial screwdriver method used here. Heat up the end of the
screwdriver in a flame then apply to slot or crosshead and the paint
burns out.

--
Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian Gaff
wrote
I blame the screwdriver makers myself. I actually never saw a socket head or
posi screw till I was at least 25.. The correct screwdriver for the slot
used to help a lot though.

Slotted screws are not easy to use when 'on site' you are using an
electric screwdriver/drill to insert them.

--
Alan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 27, 10:45*pm, charles wrote:
In article ,
* *Gib Bogle wrote:

On 28/12/2011 9:27 a.m., Lieutenant Scott wrote:
I go out of my way to get pozidrive screws - what's the big idea with
people still using straight ones? Eg in sockets.

Pozidrive selfcentres, and doesn't slip out. And I find it's less likely
to burr.

Yes torx would be even better, but pozidrive is a start.

Builders in these parts seem to be adopting screws with a square hole
(don't know what they're called). *They allow very high torque to be
applied.

Robertson - standard in Canada, I'm told.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.16

I'm lead to believe that that type of screw head has been in use
across the pond since well before the war. We had a set of dining
table chairs that were pre-war according to the family source, that
had screws like that. The age was backed up by the fact that they
were glued with hide glue. I had to make up a tool to take the screws
out when maintenance was called for.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
On Dec 27, 8:27 pm, "Lieutenant Scott" wrote:
The head on pozidrive is quite easy to chew up too.

When using quality screws and bits/screwdriver of the correct size, they
do not chew up.

but when someone has painted over the screw head, slotted screws can be
cleaned out before undoing - not something that can be sone with either of
the P types.

Just use a pin to get most of it out in one lump.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2011 09:56, charles wrote:
In , Doctor Drivel wrote:

wrote in message
On Dec 27, 8:27 pm, "Lieutenant wrote:

The head on pozidrive is quite easy to chew up too.

When using quality screws and bits/screwdriver of the correct size, they
do not chew up.

but when someone has painted over the screw head, slotted screws can be
cleaned out before undoing - not something that can be sone with either of
the P types.

Screwdriver with a through tang, hammer - then impact driver.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message

On Dec 27, 8:27 pm, "Lieutenant Scott" wrote:

The head on pozidrive is quite easy to chew up too.

When using quality screws and bits/screwdriver of the correct size, they
do not chew up.

That's only because you hacksaw a slot in them so that you can use your
blunt penknife.

That's a frigging good idea.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lieutenant Scott wrote:
I go out of my way to get pozidrive screws - what's the big idea with
people still using straight ones? Eg in sockets.

Pozidriv look cheap and nasty. I won't use them where they show.

WTF? How do they look any cheaper than straight ones?!? If I want fancy screwheads, I buy brass ones.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

I've got trouble with the wife again - she came into the bar
looking for me and I asked for her number.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 00:08:42 -0000, Graham. wrote:

On 27/12/2011 22:58, Lieutenant Scott wrote:
On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 22:51:12 -0000, NT wrote:

On Dec 27, 8:27 pm, "Lieutenant Scott" wrote:
I go out of my way to get pozidrive screws - what's the big idea with
people still using straight ones? Eg in sockets.

Pozidrive selfcentres, and doesn't slip out. And I find it's less
likely to burr.

Yes torx would be even better, but pozidrive is a start.

looks

like one day all prison officers will be Poles

Steel poles? Concrete pillars? Or Polish? If so what flavour of polish?

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

What's the difference between PMS and Mad Cow Disease?
The number of tits.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 03:22:15 -0000, thirty-six wrote:

On Dec 27, 9:44 pm, Alan wrote:
In message op.v650f0lsytk5n5@i7-940, Lieutenant Scott
wrote

I go out of my way to get pozidrive screws - what's the big idea with
people still using straight ones? Eg in sockets.

Pozidrive selfcentres, and doesn't slip out. And I find it's less
likely to burr.

Yes torx would be even better, but pozidrive is a start.

I was attempting to fit a couple of cheap "made in China" TV sockets
today. In each socket, 4 screws in total and 3 different styles of cross
heads.

Designed by someone who has never had to fix 6/7mm coax cable to a
wall socket.

It's easier if you take the wall away.

The original task may become easier, but now you have a wall replacement job.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

What's the difference between PMS and Mad Cow Disease?
The number of tits.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

On Dec 27, 8:27 pm, "Lieutenant wrote:

The head on pozidrive is quite easy to chew up too.

When using quality screws and bits/screwdriver of the correct size, they
do not chew up.

That's only because you hacksaw a slot in them so that you can use your
blunt penknife.

Alas many modern screws are case hardened, and so damn hard to cut a
slot in... (small abrasive wheel in a dremmel style tool will do it though)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 09:15:23 -0000, Mike Barnes wrote:

Lieutenant Scott :
I go out of my way to get pozidrive screws - what's the big idea with
people still using straight ones? Eg in sockets.

Screws on electrical terminals generally have slotted heads. Perhaps
someone can explain why. Similarly they generally have very fine threads
- I don't know whether there's a connection g.

The fine threads I can understand - they move slower per turn, so presumably make a better contact.

But this has nothing to do with the shape of the head. I'd much prefer not to have my screwdriver slip off the screw and onto a live wire....

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Whats the fastest thing in Wales?
A virgin sheep.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 01:51:42 -0000, Rick Hughes wrote:

"Lieutenant Scott" wrote in message
newsp.v650f0lsytk5n5@i7-940...
I go out of my way to get pozidrive screws - what's the big idea with
people still using straight ones? Eg in sockets.

Pozidrive selfcentres, and doesn't slip out. And I find it's less likely
to burr.

Yes torx would be even better, but pozidrive is a start.

Even more annoying ius when they are cross haed of inderterminate type ...
no extra x so they they be phillips ... yet angle is wrong and Phillipos
drivers simply cam out.

I just look at the angle of the screw and select the correct driver. You need good eyesight like me though.

As to why we won;t go all Pozi ... simple, US uses choses not to use Pozi.

I look forward to them becoming a third world country.