Posted to uk.d-i-y
robgraham robgraham is offline

Default Why aren't all screws pozidrive?

On Dec 27, 10:45*pm, charles wrote:
In article ,
* *Gib Bogle wrote:

On 28/12/2011 9:27 a.m., Lieutenant Scott wrote:
I go out of my way to get pozidrive screws - what's the big idea with
people still using straight ones? Eg in sockets.

Pozidrive selfcentres, and doesn't slip out. And I find it's less likely
to burr.

Yes torx would be even better, but pozidrive is a start.

Builders in these parts seem to be adopting screws with a square hole
(don't know what they're called). *They allow very high torque to be
applied.

Robertson - standard in Canada, I'm told.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.16

I'm lead to believe that that type of screw head has been in use
across the pond since well before the war. We had a set of dining
table chairs that were pre-war according to the family source, that
had screws like that. The age was backed up by the fact that they
were glued with hide glue. I had to make up a tool to take the screws
out when maintenance was called for.

Rob