Posted to rec.woodworking
John2005

Default Using sheet metal, particle board, or drywall screws in wood, and help finding source for black wood screws

Hi everyone,

Can anyone please recommend a source for some black finished flat head
# 6 wood screws? I need them to be about 1" to 1.5" long. I am having
trouble finding black finish wood screws. The drive type is not really
important, but I prefer phillips over straight slot.

I found the black finished screws listed below at www.mcmaster.com,
However, they are either sheet metal, particleboard, or drywall screws.
The screws are used inside the home and never get wet so I think I just
need moderate rust protection. I have a thin walled section so I don't
want the wood to split. However, I can drill a pilot hole so I doubt
splitting will be a problem. I want the screws to hold as strong as
possible. I am using a flat head because I want to "lock" the part
down on the wood best as possible, and avoid any wiggle or movement
under load. Flat heads seem to work well for this.

I really like the "High performance serrated thread" screws from
Mcmaster carr, but they only come in a silver zinc finish.

Of the three black finish screws below, which would you recommend ?

Black Finish:

Mcmaster Carr Part # 90033A160
Flat Head Phillips Sheet Metal Screw Black-Oxide Finish Steel, No 6
Size, 1" Length

Mcmaster Carr Part # 90252A106
Flat Head Phillips Particleboard Screw No. 6 Size, 1" Length

Mcmaster Carr Part # 90305A112
Premium Cntr-Sunk Head Phillips Drywall Screw Sharp Point, 6-18 Thread,
1" Length

Silver / Zinc Finish:

I prefer the following screws, they seem to work well but they are
going on a black oxide finished part and the shiny zinc finish seems to
stand out. It's just a matter of looks, I am not sure what people would
think of it, and the black screws would seem to look better to me, so I
would like to use black if I can.

Mcmaster Carr part # 91550A153
Hi-Performnce Serrated Thrd Flat Hd Wood Scrw Combination Drive,
Znc-Pltd Stl, No.6 Sz, 1" Length

Thanks for your help.
John

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"John2005" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi everyone,

Can anyone please recommend a source for some black finished flat head
# 6 wood screws? I need them to be about 1" to 1.5" long. I am having
trouble finding black finish wood screws. The drive type is not really
important, but I prefer phillips over straight slot.

Regardless of what kind of screw you are needing, you should be buying them
from here.

http://www.mcfeelys.com/

Posted to rec.woodworking
John B

John2005 wrote:
[...]

G'day John,
I only use particle board screws these days. They are designed for use
with an electric driver and hold like a man hanging on for dear life.
Just my 2 bob's worth
regards
John
Posted to rec.woodworking
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net

Which screws are for particle board? I did a search and could only find
furniture inserts for particle board.

Jack

John B wrote:
John2005 wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Wilson

I get trim head screws near the drywall screws at the Borg.
They have a nice square drive and are cheaper than dirt.
Only problem is the tapered shank under the head. It will pull through
or split the wood if you overdrive.
I've been screwing and pluggung all my oak/hickory interior trim work.
WL
"John2005" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
John2005

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your replies.

I just found out that the head size of the drywall screws make them
inconvenient for my application. The diameter of the drywall screws is
larger than the other screws and it would force me to relocate my
screws, which is undesirable. Mcmaster makes a drywall screw with a
smaller head diameter, but then it lists the head height as .150" and
the thickness of my part (a flat steel plate) is only .156". I suppose
it could work, but I tend to think I should not countersink through the
entire material thickness.

I am currently countersinking for a .127" diameter head, and I cannot
go much bigger than that due to space constraints.

The particleboard screw head height is .120" and the sheet metal screw
head height is .083". Both the particleboard and sheet metal screws
have head diameters almost exactly the same as the silver zinc plated
serrated thread screw I am currently using.

The sheet metal screw seems to have almost the exact same head
dimensions as the part # 91550A153 serrated thread (silver zinc plated
screw) I am using now. If the sheet metal screw will not work well
enough, I guess I will use the particleboard screws.

I would appreciate any further feedback.

Thanks again,
John

"John2005" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Berger

Since they're for indoor use, get the screws you like and paint
the heads black.

John2005 wrote:

I really like the "High performance serrated thread" screws from
Mcmaster carr, but they only come in a silver zinc finish.

Posted to rec.woodworking
John2005

Hi Mike,

I'm thinking ahead, and If I get to the point where I make alot, I
don't want to have to paint the screws. I think i'm just going to go
with a black oxide finished sheet metal screw.

Thanks
John

John2005 wrote:

I really like the "High performance serrated thread" screws from
Mcmaster carr, but they only come in a silver zinc finish.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mort Stevens

Here's a chemical process the turns stainless steel black:
http://www.ssschemical.com/page_10.html

And, take a look at this process for gun bluing:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...1f944d4?hl=en&

Also, have you considered power-coating? I've used powered paints on
small parts in my shop with good results.

Mort

John2005 wrote:

I really like the "High performance serrated thread" screws from
Mcmaster carr, but they only come in a silver zinc finish.

Posted to rec.woodworking
John2005

Hi Mort,

Thanks for your reply.

Mort Wrote:
Also, have you considered power-coating? I've used powered paints on
small parts in my shop with good results.

John:
My parts are very small. Is it possible powder coating could be as cost
effective as a black oxide finish ? I don't have experience with powder
coating.

Since the parts are so small I have also thought that perhaps stainless
steel could be used without a finish, then the silver zinc plated
screws would match fine. It's just a matter of whether the higher cost
of purchasing and machining the stainless will be offset by not having
to finish it. A couple of thin walled parts that need to be hardened
and have good dimensional stability during heat treatment will still
probably have to be made from tool steel or bearing steel.

I tend to think it must be cheaper to make the parts out of a black
finished, free machining steel or tool steel, rather than unfinished
stainless. It seems to me that more things would be made from stainless
if this were not generally the case.

Anyway, I think the black oxide finished sheet metal screws will work
OK in wood, but If powder coating is comparible with black oxide with
respect to cost, it may be the way to go on the parts themselves. I
think powder coating tends to look better and probably protect much
better than black oxide.

Thanks again,
John

John2005 wrote:

I really like the "High performance serrated thread" screws from
Mcmaster carr, but they only come in a silver zinc finish.

Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke

John2005 wrote:

Hi everyone,

Can anyone please recommend a source for some black finished flat head
# 6 wood screws? I need them to be about 1" to 1.5" long. I am having
trouble finding black finish wood screws. The drive type is not really
important, but I prefer phillips over straight slot.

http://www.mcfeelys.com and http://www.leevalley.com both have black
finished #6 wood screws.

[...]

I wouldn't go with any of those, personally.

Silver / Zinc Finish:

I prefer the following screws, they seem to work well but they are
going on a black oxide finished part and the shiny zinc finish seems to
stand out. It's just a matter of looks, I am not sure what people would
think of it, and the black screws would seem to look better to me, so I
would like to use black if I can.

Mcmaster Carr part # 91550A153
Hi-Performnce Serrated Thrd Flat Hd Wood Scrw Combination Drive,
Znc-Pltd Stl, No.6 Sz, 1" Length

I believe that Rockler has a similar screw in black, however the smallest
they list appears to be a number 8.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate