Posted to rec.woodworking
John2005

Default Using sheet metal, particle board, or drywall screws in wood, and help finding source for black wood screws

Hi Mort,

Thanks for your reply.

Mort Wrote:
Also, have you considered power-coating? I've used powered paints on
small parts in my shop with good results.

John:
My parts are very small. Is it possible powder coating could be as cost
effective as a black oxide finish ? I don't have experience with powder
coating.

Since the parts are so small I have also thought that perhaps stainless
steel could be used without a finish, then the silver zinc plated
screws would match fine. It's just a matter of whether the higher cost
of purchasing and machining the stainless will be offset by not having
to finish it. A couple of thin walled parts that need to be hardened
and have good dimensional stability during heat treatment will still
probably have to be made from tool steel or bearing steel.

I tend to think it must be cheaper to make the parts out of a black
finished, free machining steel or tool steel, rather than unfinished
stainless. It seems to me that more things would be made from stainless
if this were not generally the case.

Anyway, I think the black oxide finished sheet metal screws will work
OK in wood, but If powder coating is comparible with black oxide with
respect to cost, it may be the way to go on the parts themselves. I
think powder coating tends to look better and probably protect much
better than black oxide.

Thanks again,
John

Mort Stevens wrote:
Here's a chemical process the turns stainless steel black:
http://www.ssschemical.com/page_10.html

And, take a look at this process for gun bluing:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...1f944d4?hl=en&

Also, have you considered power-coating? I've used powered paints on
small parts in my shop with good results.

Mort

John2005 wrote:
Hi Mike,

I'm thinking ahead, and If I get to the point where I make alot, I
don't want to have to paint the screws. I think i'm just going to go
with a black oxide finished sheet metal screw.

Thanks
John

Mike Berger wrote:
Since they're for indoor use, get the screws you like and paint
the heads black.

John2005 wrote:

I really like the "High performance serrated thread" screws from
Mcmaster carr, but they only come in a silver zinc finish.