Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lieutenant Scott Lieutenant Scott is offline

Default Why aren't all screws pozidrive?

On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 22:36:52 -0000, Gib Bogle wrote:

On 28/12/2011 9:27 a.m., Lieutenant Scott wrote:
I go out of my way to get pozidrive screws - what's the big idea with
people still using straight ones? Eg in sockets.

Pozidrive selfcentres, and doesn't slip out. And I find it's less likely
to burr.

Yes torx would be even better, but pozidrive is a start.

Builders in these parts seem to be adopting screws with a square hole
(don't know what they're called). They allow very high torque to be
applied.

Is the shaft of the screw equally strong? I've snapped screws by applying too much torque.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Many years ago in Scotland, a new game was invented. It was ruled "Gentlemen Only...Ladies Forbidden"...and thus the word GOLF entered into the English language.