Posted to uk.d-i-y
thirty-six thirty-six is offline

Default Why aren't all screws pozidrive?

On Dec 28, 1:51*am, "Rick Hughes"
wrote:
"Lieutenant Scott" wrote in message

news[email protected] go out of my way to get pozidrive screws - what's the big idea with
people still using straight ones? *Eg in sockets.

Pozidrive selfcentres, and doesn't slip out. *And I find it's less likely
to burr.

Yes torx would be even better, but pozidrive is a start.

Even more annoying ius when they are cross haed of inderterminate type ....

Reed and Prince is one sufficiently different (thinner) from a
Philip's to warrant a seperate driver and there was another which was
like the pozi dimensionally but without the gripper and this could be
made from a Philip's driver by filing back.
I came across another simple cross head "common" design in electrical
and cabinet work in which the blade thickness of the driver narrowed
to the edge of the screw head but can't remenber the name of this one
either.

no extra x so they they be phillips ... yet angle is wrong and Phillipos
drivers simply cam out.

Sometimes it's just a truncated philips head that is required, touch
the end of the driver with a grinder.

As to why we won;t go all Pozi ... simple, US uses choses not to use Pozi..

GKN have the rights to it.