Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Why is parts washing solvent so expensive

I looked for parts washing solvent, and I am finding that it is a lot
more expensive than other hydrocarbons like kerosene. I am wondering,
why is this the case?

Any idea what is a relatively cheap way to get about 40-50 gallons of
that stuff.

Thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus5263 wrote:

I looked for parts washing solvent, and I am finding that it is a lot
more expensive than other hydrocarbons like kerosene. I am wondering,
why is this the case?

Any idea what is a relatively cheap way to get about 40-50 gallons of
that stuff.

Thanks

Three letters - E - P - A

The big shops are using heated parts washers with water based solvents
now.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 09 Sep 2011 12:34:39 -0500, Ignoramus5263
wrote:

I looked for parts washing solvent, and I am finding that it is a lot
more expensive than other hydrocarbons like kerosene. I am wondering,
why is this the case?

Any idea what is a relatively cheap way to get about 40-50 gallons of
that stuff.

Thanks

CONTENTS: Ed's Red Bore Cleaner

1 part Dexron ATF, GM Spec. D-20265 or later.

1 part Kerosene - deodorized, K1

1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits

CAS #64741-49-9, or substitute "Stoddard Solvent", CAS #8052-41-3, or
equivalent.

1 part Acetone, CAS #67-64-1.

(Optional 1 lb. of Lanolin, Anhydrous, USP per gallon, or OK to
substitute Lanolin, Modified, Topical Lubricant, from the drug store)

I skip the acetone and use WD40 for the stoddard solvent

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-09, Pinstripe Sniper wrote:
Ignoramus5263 wrote:
I looked for parts washing solvent, and I am finding that it is a lot
more expensive than other hydrocarbons like kerosene. I am wondering,
why is this the case?
Any idea what is a relatively cheap way to get about 40-50 gallons of
that stuff.
Thanks

I wondered this question myself several years ago. I ended up just
using "paint thinner" in 1 gallon poly jugs from eeevil Wallymart.
A few years later paint thinner prices roughly doubled.

I cannot speak to flammablity risks for either.

What about kerosene? Any thoughts?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/9/2011 1:34 PM, Ignoramus5263 wrote:
I looked for parts washing solvent, and I am finding that it is a lot
more expensive than other hydrocarbons like kerosene. I am wondering,
why is this the case?

Any idea what is a relatively cheap way to get about 40-50 gallons of
that stuff.

This doesn't answer the question asked, but many businesses are using
outfits like this to supply the stuff and haul it away:

http://www.safety-kleen.com/products/CleaningEquipment/Pages/SolventPartsWashers.aspx

if you are talking 40-50 gallons, you are getting into the territory
where the EPA/DEP might get interested. It might be good to have paperwork.

Kevin Gallimore

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 9, 1:17*pm, "Pete C." wrote:
Ignoramus5263 wrote:

I looked for parts washing solvent, and I am finding that it is a lot
more expensive than other hydrocarbons like kerosene. I am wondering,
why is this the case?

Any idea what is a relatively cheap way to get about 40-50 gallons of
that stuff.

Thanks

Three letters - E - P - A

The big shops are using heated parts washers with water based solvents
now.

LOL...yeah let's all forget how all the bad stuff went down the drain,
into the aquifer and then out of the faucet into your kid's glass of
water.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"axolotl" wrote in message
On 9/9/2011 1:34 PM, Ignoramus5263 wrote:
I looked for parts washing solvent, and I am finding that it is a lot
more expensive than other hydrocarbons like kerosene. I am wondering,
why is this the case?

Any idea what is a relatively cheap way to get about 40-50 gallons of
that stuff.

This doesn't answer the question asked, but many businesses are using
outfits like this to supply the stuff and haul it away:

http://www.safety-kleen.com/products/CleaningEquipment/Pages/SolventPartsWashers.aspx

if you are talking 40-50 gallons, you are getting into the territory where
the EPA/DEP might get interested. It might be good to have paperwork.

Kevin Gallimore

Illinois also has thier own state run EPA to contend with.
You gonna need a big paper trail if they come a knocken.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-10, azotic wrote:

"axolotl" wrote in message
On 9/9/2011 1:34 PM, Ignoramus5263 wrote:
I looked for parts washing solvent, and I am finding that it is a lot
more expensive than other hydrocarbons like kerosene. I am wondering,
why is this the case?

Any idea what is a relatively cheap way to get about 40-50 gallons of
that stuff.

This doesn't answer the question asked, but many businesses are using
outfits like this to supply the stuff and haul it away:

http://www.safety-kleen.com/products/CleaningEquipment/Pages/SolventPartsWashers.aspx

if you are talking 40-50 gallons, you are getting into the territory where
the EPA/DEP might get interested. It might be good to have paperwork.

Kevin Gallimore

Illinois also has thier own state run EPA to contend with.
You gonna need a big paper trail if they come a knocken.

What kind of paper trail?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-10, azotic wrote:

"axolotl" wrote in message
[...]

Disposal of spent solvents. Hydrocarbon spills can be very
expensive to clean up. A passer by made a call on thier cell
phone and it cost my neighbor 50k after the guys in the space
suits got done with him. He was cleaning electric motors behind
his shop on his driveway. He did not have any paperwork for
proper disposal. Apparently the passer by called the 800 number
to report illegal dumping.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-09, Pinstripe Sniper wrote:
Ignoramus5263 wrote:
I looked for parts washing solvent, and I am finding that it is a lot
more expensive than other hydrocarbons like kerosene. I am wondering,
why is this the case?
Any idea what is a relatively cheap way to get about 40-50 gallons of
that stuff.
Thanks

I wondered this question myself several years ago. I ended up just
using "paint thinner" in 1 gallon poly jugs from eeevil Wallymart.
A few years later paint thinner prices roughly doubled.

I cannot speak to flammablity risks for either.

What about kerosene? Any thoughts?

In the motorcycle shop we used and old pop machine, filled with kerosene.
The pop machine was the top opening type, slightly modified.

Steve R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 09 Sep 2011 18:20:08 -0500, Ignoramus5263
wrote:

I cannot speak to flammablity risks for either.

What about kerosene? Any thoughts?

Like you, I normally think of Kero as being relatively safe, but
within the past two weeks in Central PA near here a farmer and his son
were burned over most of their bodies when a diesel tank exploded when
they were grinding something under the truck either on the tank or
near it. Not enough detail in the newspaper to know exactly what they
were doing and why it happened, but the paper suggested that they were
just grinding near the tank. They're now both in the burn unit at
Allentown Hospital.

In another episode, a number of years ago, a construction truck ran
out of diesel and it was night. The boss's son brought some fuel and
they were filling the tank. Since they didn't have a flashlight, the
son lit a match and held it over the tank to see how much he had in it
and had an explosion. He wasn't too severely injured. The latter
anecdote from my brother in law who witnessed the incident and had
told the kid he didn't think it was a very good idea to be lighting
matches around the tank. Since they were fueling, there was probably
a lot of fumes coming off the fill neck. It might be a similar
situation with a parts washer spraying kero on a part.

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-10, azotic wrote:

"axolotl" wrote in message
[...]

It took 3 years to resolve. He had to hire an eviromental lawyer to
defend him in court. He was threatended with criminal charges,
jail time. This was back in the 90's its probobaly worse now.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I looked for parts washing solvent, and I am finding that it is a
lot
more expensive than other hydrocarbons like kerosene. I am
wondering,
why is this the case?

Any idea what is a relatively cheap way to get about 40-50 gallons
of
that stuff.

I shopped for it, and said fergeddabout it. That stuff is more than a good
single malt scotch in some cases. I ended up with a mixture of stuff,
mostly water and oxy clean, plus a little paint thinner, and other stuff
that has washed down there. But I don't use mine a lot. I really need to
take it apart, and inspect, as I noticed a good bit of corrosion when I
first got it.

I'd be interested in a good cheap all around safe cleaner, too. I ain't
spending that much for enough for my $15 yard sale 30 gal. Snap-On unit.
Sorry, I'm just cheap.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-10, Steve B wrote:

[...]

What about straight kerosene? It should have a decently low
flammability and is good for dissolving grime.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-10, GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane wrote:

[ ... ]

In another episode, a number of years ago, a construction truck ran
out of diesel and it was night. The boss's son brought some fuel and
they were filling the tank. Since they didn't have a flashlight, the
son lit a match and held it over the tank to see how much he had in it
and had an explosion. He wasn't too severely injured. The latter
anecdote from my brother in law who witnessed the incident and had
told the kid he didn't think it was a very good idea to be lighting
matches around the tank. Since they were fueling, there was probably
a lot of fumes coming off the fill neck. It might be a similar
situation with a parts washer spraying kero on a part.

Hmm ... reminds me of what I saw on a side street some 20 years
ago or more. A car had run out of gas at night. It was one of those
with the fill pipe behind the rear license plate. They were pouring
into that with a flex-neck can. I could see fumes pouring out of the
neck in the light from my headlights.

About two feet behind the fill neck and can was a burning road
flare to keep people from running into them. Since I had my wife along
at the time, I just zipped past as quickly as I could. When we got out
of the restaurant later, there was no sign of any problems there, so
they must have been *very* lucky.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-10, Steve B wrote:

[...]

I just use the purple degreaser from home depot.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 09 Sep 2011 20:41:07 -0400, axolotl
wrote:

On 9/9/2011 1:34 PM, Ignoramus5263 wrote:
I looked for parts washing solvent, and I am finding that it is a lot
more expensive than other hydrocarbons like kerosene. I am wondering,
why is this the case?

Any idea what is a relatively cheap way to get about 40-50 gallons of
that stuff.

This doesn't answer the question asked, but many businesses are using
outfits like this to supply the stuff and haul it away:

http://www.safety-kleen.com/products/CleaningEquipment/Pages/SolventPartsWashers.aspx

if you are talking 40-50 gallons, you are getting into the territory
where the EPA/DEP might get interested. It might be good to have paperwork.

Kevin Gallimore

I have the Mod 257.

Gunner

--
"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry
capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/9/2011 8:10 PM, Steve B wrote:
[...]

believe it or not, simple green works really well for much of this cleaning
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 9 Sep 2011 20:10:35 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

[...]

Too cheap to live? Google "parts cleaning with gasoline", since gas
is under $4/gal.

Now get over the horror from those stories and go buy a refill of
SafetyKleen. You'll live longer, and solvent is cheap compared to the
use of your hands for the rest of a longer life, eh?

Dog bless the EPA and Greenies for cheap solvent cleaners!

--
The problem with borrowing money from China is
that thirty minutes later, you feel broke again.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-10, GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

And that reminds me of a comment made by an international sales manager of a
major EDM company some decades ago. In third-world countries, they use
kerosene for EDM dielectric fluid. It works very well and it's cheap.

"I never have trouble figuring out where the toolmaking neighborhoods are
when I fly into one of those airports," he said. "I just look for the plumes
of black smoke."

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-10, Steve B wrote:

[...]

Lastly I saw it at HD, it was about $10 per gallon. My tank is a 30 gallon
on end, so would take about 20 gallons. I guess I could shop it at a
supplier, and get it for less.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Forgot to add that I have one gallon of Simple Green in there. I added it
right after the last discussion here. It seems to work pretty well. A
little slimy feeling, and it cleans my hands good, too.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I gave up the stupid practices of my youth. Gas as a cleaner was one of
them. I knew two men who were horribly burned from youthful experiences
with gasoline.

YMMV, and you probably would use anything.

Now, back in the bin with you.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-10, Steve B wrote:

[...]

I have two of them right now (not that I need two, just happen to have
two at the moment).

Well, one tank is about 20 gallons, and another is 50-80 gallons... I
guess the big one will have to go.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-10, Steve B wrote:
Forgot to add that I have one gallon of Simple Green in there. I added it
right after the last discussion here. It seems to work pretty well. A
little slimy feeling, and it cleans my hands good, too.

Oh, yes, I have a question that is very related. I have a Graymills
800-A parts washer.

http://goo.gl/a7k4g

What will hapen if I use it with aqueous Simple green or some such
solution? Will it work? Will it rust completely? Will it work okay,
but perhaps not as well as with petroleum solvent?

I do not personally like petroleum solvents, their fumes give me a
headache. Add to this fire and EPA and price, and you would see why I
am looking for an alternative.

If I can use what I have (Graymills 800-a) with aqueous solvents, I
will be happy, even if cleaning takes a bit longer.

Has anyone tried it?

I will call Graymills on Monday.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus13208" wrote

I have two of them right now (not that I need two, just happen to have
two at the moment).

Well, one tank is about 20 gallons, and another is 50-80 gallons... I
guess the big one will have to go.

That would be decided on by how much you use yours. And by the rule that if
you get rid of it, you will need it within a week. I use mine very seldom,
but when I do, I'm glad I have one. And for $15 at a yard sale for a
Snap-On, how could I go wrong. If I never use it, it makes me look
SOOOOOOOO professional in my shop. ;-)

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-10, Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus13208" wrote

I have two of them right now (not that I need two, just happen to have
two at the moment).

Well, one tank is about 20 gallons, and another is 50-80 gallons... I
guess the big one will have to go.

That would be decided on by how much you use yours. And by the rule that if
you get rid of it, you will need it within a week. I use mine very seldom,
but when I do, I'm glad I have one. And for $15 at a yard sale for a
Snap-On, how could I go wrong. If I never use it, it makes me look
SOOOOOOOO professional in my shop. ;-)

Yep, Snap-On does give that snobby feeling...

One of mine is a Graymills.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-10, Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus13208" wrote

I have two of them right now (not that I need two, just happen to have
two at the moment).

Well, one tank is about 20 gallons, and another is 50-80 gallons... I
guess the big one will have to go.

That would be decided on by how much you use yours. And by the rule that
if
you get rid of it, you will need it within a week. I use mine very
seldom,
but when I do, I'm glad I have one. And for $15 at a yard sale for a
Snap-On, how could I go wrong. If I never use it, it makes me look
SOOOOOOOO professional in my shop. ;-)

Yep, Snap-On does give that snobby feeling...

One of mine is a Graymills.

No snobbery here. Just look around at my "collection" spread all over hell
and half of Georgia. If I had a Rolex, it probably would have a dead
battery for a month before I wore it, and could tell it was dead. Give me
Wranglers and the cheap beer any time.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus13208 wrote:
On 2011-09-10, Steve wrote:
[...]

get some freon 11. whoops... the EW's had that banned except for nuke
plants use.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 10:28:07 -0500, Ignoramus13208

On 2011-09-10, Steve B wrote:
Lastly I saw it at HD, it was about $10 per gallon. My tank is a 30 gallon
on end, so would take about 20 gallons. I guess I could shop it at a
supplier, and get it for less.

I have two of them right now (not that I need two, just happen to have
two at the moment).

Well, one tank is about 20 gallons, and another is 50-80 gallons... I
guess the big one will have to go.

The good news is that you can sell the big one to pay for solvent for
the little one.

--
Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power.
-- Seneca
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 08:27:37 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

Too cheap to live? Google "parts cleaning with gasoline", since gas
is under $4/gal.

Now get over the horror from those stories and go buy a refill of
SafetyKleen. You'll live longer, and solvent is cheap compared to the
use of your hands for the rest of a longer life, eh?

Dog bless the EPA and Greenies for cheap solvent cleaners!

I gave up the stupid practices of my youth. Gas as a cleaner was one of
them. I knew two men who were horribly burned from youthful experiences
with gasoline.

YMMV, and you probably would use anything.

Now, back in the bin with you.

Kiss my ass, honky!

--
Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power.
-- Seneca
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 09/09/2011 12:34 PM, Ignoramus5263 wrote:
I looked for parts washing solvent, and I am finding that it is a lot
more expensive than other hydrocarbons like kerosene. I am wondering,
why is this the case?

Any idea what is a relatively cheap way to get about 40-50 gallons of
that stuff.

Thanks

My parts washer is homemade from a 15 gallon drum with a kitchen sink
bolted to it. I use an old 12vdc gas pump submerged in the tank by an
old coathanger. Solvent is 10 gallons of diesel fuel. Fuel that is
too dirty to clean any longer is pumped into 5 gallon gas cans and
delivered to my oil change place where it is dumped into their tank
of mystery oil.

Took several years of scrounging to get all the parts, but I'm frugal
and patient.

technomaNge
--
That is how you spell "cheap", isn't it?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

#2 heating oil in 5 gal buckets is a lot cheaper than kerosene bought in
individual gallon jugs

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus13208 wrote:
On 2011-09-10, Steve wrote:
[...]

Diesel starting fluid in a spray can kicks ass bigtime

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In rec.crafts.metalworking, technomaNge wrote:
My parts washer is homemade from a 15 gallon drum with a kitchen sink
bolted to it. I use an old 12vdc gas pump submerged in the tank by an
old coathanger. Solvent is 10 gallons of diesel fuel. Fuel that is
too dirty to clean any longer is pumped into 5 gallon gas cans and
delivered to my oil change place where it is dumped into their tank
of mystery oil.

Sounds like a nice one to me. Hmmm.

Elijah
------
even has a spare kitchen sink already
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 19:16:24 -0500, technomaNge wrote:
On 09/09/2011 12:34 PM, Ignoramus5263 wrote:
I looked for parts washing solvent, and I am finding that it is a lot
more expensive than other hydrocarbons like kerosene. I am wondering,
why is this the case?

Any idea what is a relatively cheap way to get about 40-50 gallons of
that stuff.

My parts washer is homemade from a 15 gallon drum with a kitchen sink
bolted to it. I use an old 12vdc gas pump submerged in the tank by an
old coathanger. Solvent is 10 gallons of diesel fuel. Fuel that is too
dirty to clean any longer is pumped into 5 gallon gas cans and delivered
to my oil change place where it is dumped into their tank of mystery
oil.

What do you mean by "too dirty to clean any longer" ? Seems like
some settling, followed by screen, cheesecloth, and coffee filter
paper would get almost all dirt and grit out of the mix. I don't
know how much of a problem dissolved grease and oil is, as far as
cleaning effectiveness; is that where the problem is? Or is
it more of a "too dirty to mess with anymore" problem?

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"James Waldby" wrote in message
[...]

I had pondered that point, too, then remembered my high school chemistry
about solids and solvents. An increase in some of the solvent levels could
affect the whole solution. Particularly liquids that tend to stratify and
separate. And then there's the ph factor to be considered. And the
flammability of the whole thing as it changes from pure diesel fuel to a mix
of many things. Carburetors are cleaned occasionally, and a build up of gas
could occur. And a very large explosion can be had with a very small amount
of gasoline evaporating into the air of a closed shop, and then the
compressor kicks on with a spark at the contact points, and ............. I
do not know if the diesel fuel would keep the aromatic gas from offgassing
into the surrounding air, but I wouldn't want to bet a whole shop, and the
windows a block around on it.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 09/11/2011 03:45 PM, James Waldby wrote:

What do you mean by "too dirty to clean any longer" ? Seems like
some settling, followed by screen, cheesecloth, and coffee filter
paper would get almost all dirt and grit out of the mix. I don't
know how much of a problem dissolved grease and oil is, as far as
cleaning effectiveness; is that where the problem is? Or is
it more of a "too dirty to mess with anymore" problem?

I mostly clean VW engine parts with the diesel. An acid brush
or an old toothbrush will get into the tight spots.

But the exterior crud washed off is old oil and sandy crud.
Interior crud is carbon and metal shavings.

Eventually the diesel contains too much oil and won't cut it anymore.

If I had a diesel engine of some kind, I would do extensive filtering
then put it to use. But I don't, so I won't do that much work.

I forgot to mention: Don't let the pump sit on the bottom of the
barrel. DAMHIKT.

technomaNge
--
If the answer is more government,
the question was stupid.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

On Sep 11, 10:19*pm, technomaNge wrote:
[...]

My parts washer is a 55-gallon drum with a disc of flat steel mounted
about 14 inches from the top. It is held up by 3 small bolts extending
into the barrel radially. The pump is a good submersible 110V pump
made for the purpose, Grainger-sourced I think. it sits about 1/2 down
the barrel, with a flex spout on the outlet coming through a nothc in
the plate. The lower third of the barrel is straight water, with Kero
or diesel on top of that. Any heavy insolubles settle out and down
into the water, never to return. That diesel was coming out milky the
other night. I bet today it will be crystal clear. No messing with
inline filters etc.
So far I've used it about 10 years and have not done anything
except top off the solvent with whatever was cheapest at the time.
Currently, that would be diesel.