Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

Default Why is parts washing solvent so expensive

On Sep 11, 10:19*pm, technomaNge wrote:
On 09/11/2011 03:45 PM, James Waldby wrote:

What do you mean by "too dirty to clean any longer" ? *Seems like
some settling, followed by screen, cheesecloth, and coffee filter
paper would get almost all dirt and grit out of the mix. *I don't
know how much of a problem dissolved grease and oil is, as far as
cleaning effectiveness; is that where the problem is? *Or is
it more of a "too dirty to mess with anymore" problem?

I mostly clean VW engine parts with the diesel. An acid brush
or an old toothbrush will get into the tight spots.

But the exterior crud washed off is old oil and sandy crud.
Interior crud is carbon and metal shavings.

Eventually the diesel contains too much oil and won't cut it anymore.

If I had a diesel engine of some kind, I would do extensive filtering
then put it to use. But I don't, so I won't do that much work.

I forgot to mention: Don't let the pump sit on the bottom of the
barrel. *DAMHIKT.

My parts washer is a 55-gallon drum with a disc of flat steel mounted
about 14 inches from the top. It is held up by 3 small bolts extending
into the barrel radially. The pump is a good submersible 110V pump
made for the purpose, Grainger-sourced I think. it sits about 1/2 down
the barrel, with a flex spout on the outlet coming through a nothc in
the plate. The lower third of the barrel is straight water, with Kero
or diesel on top of that. Any heavy insolubles settle out and down
into the water, never to return. That diesel was coming out milky the
other night. I bet today it will be crystal clear. No messing with
inline filters etc.
So far I've used it about 10 years and have not done anything
except top off the solvent with whatever was cheapest at the time.
Currently, that would be diesel.