Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET is offline

Default Why is parts washing solvent so expensive

On Fri, 09 Sep 2011 18:20:08 -0500, Ignoramus5263
wrote:

I cannot speak to flammablity risks for either.

What about kerosene? Any thoughts?

Like you, I normally think of Kero as being relatively safe, but
within the past two weeks in Central PA near here a farmer and his son
were burned over most of their bodies when a diesel tank exploded when
they were grinding something under the truck either on the tank or
near it. Not enough detail in the newspaper to know exactly what they
were doing and why it happened, but the paper suggested that they were
just grinding near the tank. They're now both in the burn unit at
Allentown Hospital.

In another episode, a number of years ago, a construction truck ran
out of diesel and it was night. The boss's son brought some fuel and
they were filling the tank. Since they didn't have a flashlight, the
son lit a match and held it over the tank to see how much he had in it
and had an explosion. He wasn't too severely injured. The latter
anecdote from my brother in law who witnessed the incident and had
told the kid he didn't think it was a very good idea to be lighting
matches around the tank. Since they were fueling, there was probably
a lot of fumes coming off the fill neck. It might be a similar
situation with a parts washer spraying kero on a part.

RWL