Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus5263 Ignoramus5263 is offline

Default Why is parts washing solvent so expensive

On 2011-09-10, azotic wrote:

"axolotl" wrote in message
On 9/9/2011 1:34 PM, Ignoramus5263 wrote:
I looked for parts washing solvent, and I am finding that it is a lot
more expensive than other hydrocarbons like kerosene. I am wondering,
why is this the case?

Any idea what is a relatively cheap way to get about 40-50 gallons of
that stuff.

This doesn't answer the question asked, but many businesses are using
outfits like this to supply the stuff and haul it away:

http://www.safety-kleen.com/products/CleaningEquipment/Pages/SolventPartsWashers.aspx

if you are talking 40-50 gallons, you are getting into the territory
where
the EPA/DEP might get interested. It might be good to have paperwork.

Kevin Gallimore

Illinois also has thier own state run EPA to contend with.
You gonna need a big paper trail if they come a knocken.

What kind of paper trail?

Disposal of spent solvents. Hydrocarbon spills can be very
expensive to clean up. A passer by made a call on thier cell
phone and it cost my neighbor 50k after the guys in the space
suits got done with him. He was cleaning electric motors behind
his shop on his driveway. He did not have any paperwork for
proper disposal. Apparently the passer by called the 800 number
to report illegal dumping.

Best Regards
Tom.

Frightening!