Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve[_59_] Steve[_59_] is offline

Default Why is parts washing solvent so expensive

On 2011-09-09, Pinstripe Sniper wrote:
Ignoramus5263 wrote:
I looked for parts washing solvent, and I am finding that it is a lot
more expensive than other hydrocarbons like kerosene. I am wondering,
why is this the case?
Any idea what is a relatively cheap way to get about 40-50 gallons of
that stuff.
Thanks

I wondered this question myself several years ago. I ended up just
using "paint thinner" in 1 gallon poly jugs from eeevil Wallymart.
A few years later paint thinner prices roughly doubled.

I cannot speak to flammablity risks for either.

What about kerosene? Any thoughts?

In the motorcycle shop we used and old pop machine, filled with kerosene.
The pop machine was the top opening type, slightly modified.

Steve R.