Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
technomaNge[_4_] technomaNge[_4_] is offline

Default Why is parts washing solvent so expensive

On 09/11/2011 03:45 PM, James Waldby wrote:

What do you mean by "too dirty to clean any longer" ? Seems like
some settling, followed by screen, cheesecloth, and coffee filter
paper would get almost all dirt and grit out of the mix. I don't
know how much of a problem dissolved grease and oil is, as far as
cleaning effectiveness; is that where the problem is? Or is
it more of a "too dirty to mess with anymore" problem?

I mostly clean VW engine parts with the diesel. An acid brush
or an old toothbrush will get into the tight spots.

But the exterior crud washed off is old oil and sandy crud.
Interior crud is carbon and metal shavings.

Eventually the diesel contains too much oil and won't cut it anymore.

If I had a diesel engine of some kind, I would do extensive filtering
then put it to use. But I don't, so I won't do that much work.

I forgot to mention: Don't let the pump sit on the bottom of the
barrel. DAMHIKT.

technomaNge
--
If the answer is more government,