Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Why is parts washing solvent so expensive

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 22:19:35 -0500, technomaNge wrote:

On 09/11/2011 03:45 PM, James Waldby wrote:

What do you mean by "too dirty to clean any longer" ? Seems like
some settling, followed by screen, cheesecloth, and coffee filter
paper would get almost all dirt and grit out of the mix. I don't
know how much of a problem dissolved grease and oil is, as far as
cleaning effectiveness; is that where the problem is? Or is
it more of a "too dirty to mess with anymore" problem?

I mostly clean VW engine parts with the diesel. An acid brush
or an old toothbrush will get into the tight spots.

But the exterior crud washed off is old oil and sandy crud.
Interior crud is carbon and metal shavings.

Eventually the diesel contains too much oil and won't cut it anymore.

If I had a diesel engine of some kind, I would do extensive filtering
then put it to use. But I don't, so I won't do that much work.

Such used fuels make a very nice shop heater btw....

http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/oilburners03.html

etc etc etc

I forgot to mention: Don't let the pump sit on the bottom of the
barrel. DAMHIKT.

technomaNge

--
"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry
capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 9, 8:41*pm, axolotl wrote:
On 9/9/2011 1:34 PM, Ignoramus5263 wrote:

I looked for parts washing solvent, and I am finding that it is a lot
more expensive than other hydrocarbons like kerosene. I am wondering,
why is this the case?

Any idea what is a relatively cheap way to get about 40-50 gallons of
that stuff.

This doesn't answer the question asked, but many businesses are using
outfits like this to supply the stuff and haul it away:

http://www.safety-kleen.com/products/CleaningEquipment/Pages/SolventP...

if you are talking 40-50 gallons, you are getting into the territory
where the EPA/DEP might get interested. It might be good to have paperwork.

Kevin Gallimore

When I had a motorcycle shop in the mid-70s, I had a contract with
Safety Kleen. It was pretty cheap, and they would just come and swap
the (20 gal.) tank once a week.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 09/12/2011 04:05 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 22:19:35 -0500, wrote:

If I had a diesel engine of some kind, I would do extensive filtering
then put it to use. But I don't, so I won't do that much work.

Such used fuels make a very nice shop heater btw....

http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/oilburners03.html

etc etc etc

Oh, puleeze!
I'm in Alabama, don't even need a heater except in January and
February.

See the RCMer map:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=117570912561510306224. 0004764a2159981c8a842&ll=39.97712,-93.164062&spn=37.753589,67.763672&z=4

technomaNge
--
Proud to be one of the
".....jingoistic reactionaries who have too much time on their hands."