RainLover

Default GUNNER... about OT posting

Hey Gunner,

I know you are very politically active, but could you please
reconsider including the metalworking newsgroups in your crossposting?
It's a simple matter to remove them before replying... or when
starting a post, keeping metalworking OUT of the list.

I know you feel your political opinion is MORE important than the
concept of keeping a newsgroup on-topic, but it would still be nice.

I'm not asking this to squelch your opinions or to infringe on your
rights to free speach... I'm just asking you with the presumption
that you have mannors and are polite enough to understand crossposting
isn't really liked by most people looking to read, learn, and chat
about METALWORKING.

I honestly think you will utterly Ignore this request, but I thought
it was worth a try. This is a perfect time to show that your politics
INCLUDE kindness, understanding, and graciousness, and your response
will say a lot about you.

James, Seattle

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 08:34:31 -0800, RainLover wrote:
Hey Gunner,

I know you are very politically active, but could you please
reconsider including the metalworking newsgroups in your crossposting?
It's a simple matter to remove them before replying... or when
starting a post, keeping metalworking OUT of the list.

Perhaps you're not noticing that often OT: posts will have OT:
in the subject line. You can set up your newsreader to ignore those
threads. Filtering is much more of a workable approach than trying to
dictate what someone else does or doesn't post.

I'm not asking this to squelch your opinions or to infringe on your
rights to free speach... I'm just asking you with the presumption
that you have mannors and are polite enough to understand crossposting
isn't really liked by most people looking to read, learn, and chat
about METALWORKING.

Yeah, like I said. Learn to filter and you'll enjoy Unenet much more.

I honestly think you will utterly Ignore this request, but I thought
it was worth a try. This is a perfect time to show that your politics
INCLUDE kindness, understanding, and graciousness, and your response
will say a lot about you.

He's perfectly right to ignore your request, it's unreasonable. The
problem has already been solved, you just need to use it. Filter posts
with OT: in the subject line, and you'll be fine.

Tim Wescott

Dave Hinz wrote:

[...]

I disagree. I like the occasional OT post about someone's truck or
their new baby or whatever. I do _not_ like incessant OT posts on one
topic -- it means that I have to choose between losing those occasional
OT posts that I want to see, or that I have to waste a lot of time
paging through the "Cliff & Gunner Show".

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Tim Wescott

RainLover wrote:

[...]

Don't forget Cliff and his doppelganger -- Gunner at least occasionally
posts real content here.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Dave Hinz

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 08:47:43 -0800, Tim Wescott wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote:

He's perfectly right to ignore your request, it's unreasonable. The
problem has already been solved, you just need to use it. Filter posts
with OT: in the subject line, and you'll be fine.

I disagree. I like the occasional OT post about someone's truck or
their new baby or whatever. I do _not_ like incessant OT posts on one
topic

So...you're OK with some OT posts, but not all OT posts, so people
shouldn't post what Tim doesn't want to read. I see.

-- it means that I have to choose between losing those occasional
OT posts that I want to see, or that I have to waste a lot of time
paging through the "Cliff & Gunner Show".

Or you can killfile by thread or keyword in subject lines. Or you can
just complain about it.

jim rozen

In article , RainLover says...

I honestly think you will utterly Ignore this request, but I thought
it was worth a try.

I think he calmed it down a bit a while ago when I asked. I
do know that I was classing him in the same catagory as Cliff
until he did so.

Jim

please reply to:
Tim Wescott

Dave Hinz wrote:

He's perfectly right to ignore your request, it's unreasonable. The
problem has already been solved, you just need to use it. Filter posts
with OT: in the subject line, and you'll be fine.

I disagree. I like the occasional OT post about someone's truck or
their new baby or whatever. I do _not_ like incessant OT posts on one
topic

So...you're OK with some OT posts, but not all OT posts, so people
shouldn't post what Tim doesn't want to read. I see.

The key words are "incessant" vs. "occasional", as I suspect you know.
Just in case you're confused incessant posts about your new baby would
irritate just as much as the political gas being generated. Posts about
your truck would also wear thin, but it would take longer because trucks
have more metal content than babies or politicians.

Y'know if you don't like the idea of people wanting this to be a
metalworking newsgroup you could just killfile those of us who do.

-- it means that I have to choose between losing those occasional
OT posts that I want to see, or that I have to waste a lot of time
paging through the "Cliff & Gunner Show".

Or you can killfile by thread or keyword in subject lines. Or you can
just complain about it.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Tim Wescott

jim rozen wrote:
In article , RainLover says...

I honestly think you will utterly Ignore this request, but I thought
it was worth a try.

I think he calmed it down a bit a while ago when I asked. I
do know that I was classing him in the same catagory as Cliff
until he did so.

Jim

_And_ Gunner also posts useful metalworking content, that's based on
real experience -- I have yet to see Cliff post something on this group
that is on topic.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Dave Hinz

Dave Hinz wrote:

He's perfectly right to ignore your request, it's unreasonable. The
problem has already been solved, you just need to use it. Filter posts
with OT: in the subject line, and you'll be fine.

I disagree. I like the occasional OT post about someone's truck or
their new baby or whatever. I do _not_ like incessant OT posts on one
topic

So...you're OK with some OT posts, but not all OT posts, so people
shouldn't post what Tim doesn't want to read. I see.

The key words are "incessant" vs. "occasional", as I suspect you know.

So then killfile by poster. Isn't choice _wonderful_?

Just in case you're confused incessant posts about your new baby would
irritate just as much as the political gas being generated. Posts about
your truck would also wear thin, but it would take longer because trucks
have more metal content than babies or politicians.

Let me repeat myself. Learn how to filter, and then you can
programatically ignore whatever the hell you want. Telling people what
not to post will never, ever, work.

Y'know if you don't like the idea of people wanting this to be a
metalworking newsgroup you could just killfile those of us who do.

All I'm seeing here, Tim, is you complaining that you choose not to
filter.

Richard

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 09:28:02 -0800, Tim Wescott
wrote:

_And_ Gunner also posts useful metalworking content, that's based on
real experience -- I have yet to see Cliff post something on this group
that is on topic.

Gunner has the place of honor in my killfile, number one. Cliff is
there next, global, I don't want to read either one of them. The one
in two hundred postings from gummer that are metal related, I can
llive without Several others, I check to see where the posting
originated, if not RCM, kill that poster. Makes life a lot easier,
and roughly half of the garbage is filtered just with Cliff and
gunnner. Maybe it's time to get a moderated group and get rid of the
political bullcrap.

Rich

jim rozen

In article , Richard says...

...Maybe it's time to get a moderated group and get rid of the
political bullcrap.

This one works:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi

Jim

please reply to:
Gunner

wrote:

[...]

Your plea is noted. And while its interesting...its also noted that
apparently you are unable to figure out how to set up an OT filter.

If you would like, Id be most happy to assist you in this endeavor.

Respects

Gunner, who has been called many things, but seldom kind,
understanding and gracious, except by women.

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Dave Hinz

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 18:07:14 GMT, Gunner wrote:

Your plea is noted. And while its interesting...its also noted that
apparently you are unable to figure out how to set up an OT filter.
If you would like, Id be most happy to assist you in this endeavor.

Please don't offer technical support in this forum, it's supposed to be
for people to complain about posts they don't like, not about helping
them go not see them. If you don't stop offering to help the
complainers, I may be forced to complain a second time.

Vaughn

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

Perhaps you're not noticing that often OT: posts will have OT:

There is a REASON why we have our groups set up by topic. Putting "OT"
before an off-topic post does nothing to somehow correct your abuse of the
system. With honest regrets, I blocked Gunner years ago...and now Dave.

Vaughn

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 18:12:51 GMT, Vaughn wrote:

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

Perhaps you're not noticing that often OT: posts will have OT:

There is a REASON why we have our groups set up by topic. Putting "OT"
before an off-topic post does nothing to somehow correct your abuse of the
system. With honest regrets, I blocked Gunner years ago...and now Dave.

Your choice. I'm explaining to someone what the reality of the
situation is, and how to use that convention to improve what they see
when they read the group. Apparently you find that offensive. I can
live with that fact.

Leo Lichtman

This whole thread is off-topic, since it deals with posting--not metal. As
much as I disagree with Gunner's politics, I read almost all of his on topic
posts. It's pretty easy to pick them out. And, I wouldn't want to lose his
cat-related posts.

Rastus

wrote:

Maybe it's time to get a moderated group and get rid of the
political bullcrap.

Rich

Being new here I'm pretty sure my opinion is fairly worthless, but I would
vote for just using scorefiles or kill files instead of having a moderator.
Pretty easy if you are using Pan, Knode or slrn, Im sure windows has some
excellent newsreaders also.

Posting from beautiful Hancock, Mi
Robert Swinney

The worst I can say about Gunner is he interjects some of his OT political
bantering in the middle of long threads started by "hit collecting" trolls.
IMO, it would be much more appropriate in keeping with the letter, if not
the spirit, of usenet if Gunner would open posts under his own name. I
don't mean Gunner is trying to hide anything. Not at all. It's just that
he is adding roughage to the diets of trolls. I can hear it now; Iggy says
to Beanie Copter, "Hey can you believe it, I opened a thread on RCM and some
clown named Gunner soon blew it up to over 200 hits. Wooohooo!"

Bob Swinney

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Richard says...

...Maybe it's time to get a moderated group and get rid of the
political bullcrap.

This one works:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi

Jim

please reply to:

Proctologically Violated©®

I would imagine that moderating a ng w/ substantial volume would be a big
job, as well.
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

"Ignoramus12383" wrote in message
I do not believe that newsgroup moderation is the answer. I am a
moderator of a usenet newsgroup myself, so I have a little bit of
credentials.

wrote:

Maybe it's time to get a moderated group and get rid of the
political bullcrap.

Rich

Being new here I'm pretty sure my opinion is fairly worthless, but I
would
vote for just using scorefiles or kill files instead of having a
moderator.
Pretty easy if you are using Pan, Knode or slrn, Im sure windows has
some
excellent newsreaders also.

Posting from beautiful Hancock, Mi

Tom Gardner

" Gunner, who has been called many things, but seldom kind,
understanding and gracious, except by women and their seeing-eye-dogs.

Proctologically Violated©®

I think it is most important for the people who DO get irritated at OT stuff
to realize that it is NOT the OT stuff that is the death-knell of a group,
but rather good people LEAVING.
The good **** can continue and thrive amidst all the OT stuff in the world,
as long as the people w/ good ON-topic stuff don't leave.
Has been a problem in some formerly very fine ngs, even a problem in amc.

But, I basically agree w/ Tim's take on "incessant" vs. "occasional". And
the simple fact that ng's are, in fact, classified by subject.
Having said that, ignoring **** you don't wanna read is pretty simple, which
is good, in light of the above..
It's all about mutual consideration--easier for some than for others. And,
on average country-wide, is likely to continue to drop, likely precipitously
in the near future--yo.

Plus Gunner does like cats--that's important... AND he might be able to
help me w/ my concrete anti-fereigner bunker.

Having said dat, y'all ain't seen nuthin ito group abuse--cocksuckers
conducting whole threads under assumed names, replying to each other, even
assuming the names of regular posters. Incredible... rec.running,
misc.fitness.weights, proly a cupla others. Had nearly destroyed the groups
at one point.

rcm, amc are among the best, really productive ng's.
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

wrote:

[...]

John Kunkel

"RainLover" wrote in message
Hey Gunner,

I know you are very politically active, but could you please
reconsider including the metalworking newsgroups in your crossposting?
It's a simple matter to remove them before replying... or when
starting a post, keeping metalworking OUT of the list.

Your plea will fall on deaf ears.
People like Gunner are so insecure in their beliefs that they need to hear
constant reinforcement from like thinkers and will use any venue to that
end.

Joe AutoDrill

Your plea is noted. And while its interesting...its also noted that
apparently you are unable to figure out how to set up an OT filter.

And when all the ISPs stop covering newsgroups and we are all forced to use
a web interface that does not easily facilitate filtering... What then will
the answer be?
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Rastus

Ignoramus12383 wrote:

Any newsgroup has two purposes, one is information exchange (how to do
metalworking) and another is a social forum for like minded people.

Because this is a social forum, we'll see some off topic messages.

If one of the purposes is suppressed, people leave and the quality of
the forum suffers.

If there are too many political posts (and I admit to posting a few
such messages recently), then then beign to drown out informational
messages, and defeat the main purpose of this newsgroup.

So, yes, I am joining in asking to simply reduce the # of political
posts. Not eliminate them, but to post less. I will try to not
contribute anything political myself, in fact just today I refrained
from answering some political posts.

In fact, let's have a show of hands here. Who is actually reading
political posts xposted to other newsgroup? (not raising my hand)

Like I stated in a previous post... I'm new on this group.
About the political posts... would they not just die a natural death
if they weren't cross posted to a bunch of other groups?

Just a question and an observation.

Posted from beautiful Hancock, Mi
Dave Hinz

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 20:41:03 GMT, Joe AutoDrill wrote:
Your plea is noted. And while its interesting...its also noted that
apparently you are unable to figure out how to set up an OT filter.

And when all the ISPs stop covering newsgroups and we are all forced to use
a web interface that does not easily facilitate filtering... What then will
the answer be?

Subscribe to an NNTP server that is independant of your ISP.
news.individual.net is a great option.

Leo Lichtman

If tolerating Gunner will save the life of even one cat, then I ask all the
pinko-liberals like me to put up with him.

Christopher Tidy

Leo Lichtman wrote:
If tolerating Gunner will save the life of even one cat, then I ask all the
pinko-liberals like me to put up with him.

Well maybe Gunner will let us know when his cat dies :-).

Chris

Proctologically Violated©®

I would like to take this opportunity to ask for everyone's support in my
bid for the presidency under the IPPV--Independent Party of the
Proctological Violated (which is every non-executive working stiff in effing
America).

By dint of some anatomical limitations left undetailed here, I am a much
better prospect than any Dem or Rep, cuz I won't be able to shove it in
nearly as far, even if I wanted to.

Note the lack of cross-posting.

Thank you all very much.
----------------------------
[...]

I also agree with Christopher who said that we need more projects and
their pictures, posted here.

Joe AutoDrill

Like I stated in a previous post... I'm new on this group.
About the political posts... would they not just die a natural death
if they weren't cross posted to a bunch of other groups?

I'm not really bothered by the OT posts becuase I scan so quickly over all
the posts looking for useful info and/or learning opportunities... But if I
were a hardcore reader of the group, I'd be bothered quite a bit by
cross-posted messages that were not "logically" cross-posted. i.e. CNC /
metalworking groups and/or wood/metalworking groups if the machine was dual
purpose, etc.

What if I start posting sporadic messages about my local motorcycle events
or youth group meetings (I'm a volunteer leader, not a tween or teen) or
even the problems I'm having with chipmunks on my wife's Camry... Are they
acceptable because they are sporadic like the political posts? If everyone
posted OT messages when they wanted their RCM family's help and/or
cross-posted whenever they felt the desire, the group would be useless to
someone even as non-picky as me.

There are groups that openly allow OT posts as part of their internal
culture. However, I think the clear message from most here is that this is
not one of those groups. I've got somewhere around 20 years of computer
messaging expedrience under my large belt... And all I've ever learned is
that nothing is constant.

Anyhow... I've never read one of the political posts and did not notice
anything from Gunner. I'm simply commenting on the OT posting "policy."
Gunner has never offended me. ...Maybe because I haven't read his OT posts.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
(908) 542-0244

Joe AutoDrill

And when all the ISPs stop covering newsgroups and we are all forced to
use
a web interface that does not easily facilitate filtering... What then
will
the answer be?

Subscribe to an NNTP server that is independant of your ISP.
news.individual.net is a great option.

I used them for years. When they went to the "pay for" structure, I sought
out a free alternative. ...Which works wonderfully for now. If newsgroups
ever go the way of "access via web or pay more", I'll just quit reading
them. I have plenty of other areas that could use my time and/or money more
efficiently regardless of how nice and smart people are on the groups I
visit.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 21:26:17 GMT, Joe AutoDrill wrote:
(I wrote)

Subscribe to an NNTP server that is independant of your ISP.
news.individual.net is a great option.

I used them for years. When they went to the "pay for" structure, I sought
out a free alternative. ...Which works wonderfully for now.

Ah. I've used them for years, and when they went to the "pay for"
structure, I kicked in 13 bucks for the year. So far, works out to
about $2.50 per year of news service, averaged out.

If newsgroups
ever go the way of "access via web or pay more", I'll just quit reading
them. I have plenty of other areas that could use my time and/or money more
efficiently regardless of how nice and smart people are on the groups I
visit.

Fair enough. For me, a few cents a day is worth it for a reliable
newsfeed, and to not have to deal with some random ISP's clueless
support folks not knowing what usenet is, let alone how to support it.

Gunner wrote:

Your plea is noted. And while its interesting...its also noted that
apparently you are unable to figure out how to set up an OT filter.

If you would like, Id be most happy to assist you in this endeavor.

Computer support is OT for this newsgroup. Don't p*ss off the OP.

Wes S
-- A man should be free to do as he pleases as long as he
is willing to suffer the consequences.--

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote:

I would like to take this opportunity to ask for everyone's support in my
bid for the presidency under the IPPV--Independent Party of the
Proctological Violated (which is every non-executive working stiff in effing
America).

By dint of some anatomical limitations left undetailed here, I am a much
better prospect than any Dem or Rep, cuz I won't be able to shove it in
nearly as far, even if I wanted to.

That is a pretty good start on a platform. I've heard that honesty
doesn't get you elected though.

Wes S

PS

I'm glad I didn't have a beverage in my mouth when I read this or I'd
be cleaning my keyboard
--
Reply to:
Whiskey Echo Sierra Sierra AT Alpha Charlie Echo Golf Romeo Oscar Paul dot Charlie Charlie
Jon Danniken

"Ignoramus12383" wrote:
So, yes, I am joining in asking to simply reduce the # of political
posts. Not eliminate them, but to post less. I will try to not
contribute anything political myself, in fact just today I refrained
from answering some political posts.

I don't mind some OT posts, as many of them relate to "physical
construction" type of things, but the political stuff is just "nails on the
chalkboard" to me. Sadly, I've had to killfile posters like Gunner, which
unfortunately means missing out on whatever metal content he does
contribute. Even though I generally agree with his political stance on
issues, I just don't come here for the same political blathering I can find
on other groups. Worse, most of it is nothing more than bait posted into
this group specifically by trolls to get his ire up. Why he responds to
such deliberate trolling is beyond me, but I just have no heart for it..

Jon

wmbjk

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 20:48:23 GMT, Ignoramus12383
wrote:

In fact, let's have a show of hands here. Who is actually reading
political posts xposted to other newsgroup? (not raising my hand)

I check in on the political threads occasionally and reach the same
conclusion every time - that the guy who's posting much of it and
inciting others is the least qualified to give opinions on important
issues. So the content of the posts is worthless in addition to them
cluttering up the group and driving people away. Gunner voluntarily
*doesn't* post political stuff in SEJW. There isn't any reason he
can't do the same in RCM. My bet is that if a majority voted that he
should quit posting political crap in RCM, he'd simply ignore the
results of the vote just as he ignores reason in general.

Wayne

jim rozen

In article , Jon Danniken says...

... I just don't come here for the same political blathering I can find
on other groups. ...

Or, as I am fond of saying: "I can stay *home* and get political
blathering!"

Jim

please reply to:
Nick Müller

RainLover wrote:

I know you are very politically active

I would not call him "active", I would call him challenged. And not just
politically.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Mike Henry

wrote:
Hey Gunner,

I know you are very politically active, but could you please
reconsider including the metalworking newsgroups in your crossposting?
It's a simple matter to remove them before replying... or when
starting a post, keeping metalworking OUT of the list.

Perhaps you're not noticing that often OT: posts will have OT:
in the subject line. You can set up your newsreader to ignore those
threads. Filtering is much more of a workable approach than trying to
dictate what someone else does or doesn't post.

It was a simple request, not a dictation. And a reasonable one to my view,
especially on original messages that are cross-posted. If the message is
all that important to get out it should be worth the effort of creating
separate messages to each ng that one feels will be benefitted by the
opinion expressed therein.

I'm not asking this to squelch your opinions or to infringe on your
rights to free speach... I'm just asking you with the presumption
that you have mannors and are polite enough to understand crossposting
isn't really liked by most people looking to read, learn, and chat
about METALWORKING.

Yeah, like I said. Learn to filter and you'll enjoy Unenet much more.

Sounds like you are saying that all of us that aren't interested in teh
message should be willing to expend the effort to filter whereas Gunner
shouldn't be bothered to stop cross-posting. What makes his time more
valuable than those of us that aren't interested?

I honestly think you will utterly Ignore this request, but I thought
it was worth a try. This is a perfect time to show that your politics
INCLUDE kindness, understanding, and graciousness, and your response
will say a lot about you.

He's perfectly right to ignore your request, it's unreasonable. The
problem has already been solved, you just need to use it. Filter posts
with OT: in the subject line, and you'll be fine.

That would make the OT posts of interest unavailable and some of those are
at least interesting. IMHO.

Mike

wallster

HOLY SMOKES!!! It just dawned on me that this is EXACTLY how my nutty
family will act at the upcoming Thanksgiving table! (one nut will say
something about another nut and the next three hours are spent
listening to a bunch of nuts rehashing the first nuts comments)
This subject has been covered a million times. Think of Gunner as the
odd family member that gets "side tracked" easily.
My opinion is that some of the OT is still interesting and some of it
is simply wacky. I would rather sift through it, i usually find a piece
of gold somewhere in the mucky stuff.

walt
http://www.wallys-speed-shop.com

DISCLAIMER: not referring to anyone here as a nut... just my family. :
)

Mike Henry

wrote:

[...]

Couldn't you at least consider posting original messages separately in
newsgroups instead of crossposting them?