Mike Henry

Default GUNNER... about OT posting

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 08:34:31 -0800, RainLover
wrote:
Hey Gunner,

I know you are very politically active, but could you please
reconsider including the metalworking newsgroups in your crossposting?
It's a simple matter to remove them before replying... or when
starting a post, keeping metalworking OUT of the list.

Perhaps you're not noticing that often OT: posts will have OT:
in the subject line. You can set up your newsreader to ignore those
threads. Filtering is much more of a workable approach than trying to
dictate what someone else does or doesn't post.

It was a simple request, not a dictation. And a reasonable one to my view,
especially on original messages that are cross-posted. If the message is
all that important to get out it should be worth the effort of creating
separate messages to each ng that one feels will be benefitted by the
opinion expressed therein.

I'm not asking this to squelch your opinions or to infringe on your
rights to free speach... I'm just asking you with the presumption
that you have mannors and are polite enough to understand crossposting
isn't really liked by most people looking to read, learn, and chat
about METALWORKING.

Yeah, like I said. Learn to filter and you'll enjoy Unenet much more.

Sounds like you are saying that all of us that aren't interested in teh
message should be willing to expend the effort to filter whereas Gunner
shouldn't be bothered to stop cross-posting. What makes his time more
valuable than those of us that aren't interested?

I honestly think you will utterly Ignore this request, but I thought
it was worth a try. This is a perfect time to show that your politics
INCLUDE kindness, understanding, and graciousness, and your response
will say a lot about you.

He's perfectly right to ignore your request, it's unreasonable. The
problem has already been solved, you just need to use it. Filter posts
with OT: in the subject line, and you'll be fine.

That would make the OT posts of interest unavailable and some of those are
at least interesting. IMHO.

Mike