Proctologically Violated©®

Default GUNNER... about OT posting

I think it is most important for the people who DO get irritated at OT stuff
to realize that it is NOT the OT stuff that is the death-knell of a group,
but rather good people LEAVING.
The good **** can continue and thrive amidst all the OT stuff in the world,
as long as the people w/ good ON-topic stuff don't leave.
Has been a problem in some formerly very fine ngs, even a problem in amc.

But, I basically agree w/ Tim's take on "incessant" vs. "occasional". And
the simple fact that ng's are, in fact, classified by subject.
Having said that, ignoring **** you don't wanna read is pretty simple, which
is good, in light of the above..
It's all about mutual consideration--easier for some than for others. And,
on average country-wide, is likely to continue to drop, likely precipitously
in the near future--yo.

Plus Gunner does like cats--that's important... AND he might be able to
help me w/ my concrete anti-fereigner bunker.

Having said dat, y'all ain't seen nuthin ito group abuse--cocksuckers
conducting whole threads under assumed names, replying to each other, even
assuming the names of regular posters. Incredible... rec.running,
misc.fitness.weights, proly a cupla others. Had nearly destroyed the groups
at one point.

rcm, amc are among the best, really productive ng's.
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
Dave Hinz wrote:

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 08:47:43 -0800, Tim Wescott
wrote:

Dave Hinz wrote:

He's perfectly right to ignore your request, it's unreasonable. The
problem has already been solved, you just need to use it. Filter posts
with OT: in the subject line, and you'll be fine.

I disagree. I like the occasional OT post about someone's truck or their
new baby or whatever. I do _not_ like incessant OT posts on one topic

So...you're OK with some OT posts, but not all OT posts, so people
shouldn't post what Tim doesn't want to read. I see.

The key words are "incessant" vs. "occasional", as I suspect you know.
Just in case you're confused incessant posts about your new baby would
irritate just as much as the political gas being generated. Posts about
your truck would also wear thin, but it would take longer because trucks
have more metal content than babies or politicians.

Y'know if you don't like the idea of people wanting this to be a
metalworking newsgroup you could just killfile those of us who do.

-- it means that I have to choose between losing those occasional OT
posts that I want to see, or that I have to waste a lot of time paging
through the "Cliff & Gunner Show".

Or you can killfile by thread or keyword in subject lines. Or you can
just complain about it.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services