Christopher Tidy

Default GUNNER... about OT posting

wallster wrote:
HOLY SMOKES!!! It just dawned on me that this is EXACTLY how my nutty
family will act at the upcoming Thanksgiving table! (one nut will say
something about another nut and the next three hours are spent
listening to a bunch of nuts rehashing the first nuts comments)
This subject has been covered a million times. Think of Gunner as the
odd family member that gets "side tracked" easily.
My opinion is that some of the OT is still interesting and some of it
is simply wacky. I would rather sift through it, i usually find a piece
of gold somewhere in the mucky stuff.

Remember the fun you can have with a schoolteacher who is easily
sidetracked? I had a few...

Chris

Christopher Tidy

Mike Henry wrote:
"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

He's perfectly right to ignore your request, it's unreasonable. The
problem has already been solved, you just need to use it. Filter posts
with OT: in the subject line, and you'll be fine.

That would make the OT posts of interest unavailable and some of those are
at least interesting. IMHO.

Mike

I share the point of view of Mike and Rainlover here. One shouldn't have
to use a message filter. It's a bit like the break-ins at Tom's factory.
You aren't going to tell him that the problem has been solved - he
should simply hire a team of 24 hour armed guards with crew cuts and an
armoured truck - because the bottom line is that he shouldn't have to.
The problem shouldn't exist in the first place. And this applies to the
OT problem, too.

Chris

RainLover

On 11 Nov 2005 16:38:25 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 08:34:31 -0800, RainLover wrote:
Hey Gunner,

I know you are very politically active, but could you please
reconsider including the metalworking newsgroups in your crossposting?
It's a simple matter to remove them before replying... or when
starting a post, keeping metalworking OUT of the list.

Perhaps you're not noticing that often OT: posts will have OT:
in the subject line. You can set up your newsreader to ignore those
threads. Filtering is much more of a workable approach than trying to
dictate what someone else does or doesn't post.

So, what you're saying is this: 1,000 people should all have to
configure their newsreaders to filter ONE or TWO people's posts
instead of those two people just keeping their posts where they are
welcomed?

Hm.... I'd LIKE to think Gunner and company are more polite and aware
than that... but I could be wrong.

James, Seattle

RainLover

wrote:

Hey Gunner,

I know you are very politically active, but could you please
reconsider including the metalworking newsgroups in your crossposting?
It's a simple matter to remove them before replying... or when
starting a post, keeping metalworking OUT of the list.

I know you feel your political opinion is MORE important than the
concept of keeping a newsgroup on-topic, but it would still be nice.

I'm not asking this to squelch your opinions or to infringe on your
rights to free speach... I'm just asking you with the presumption
that you have mannors and are polite enough to understand crossposting
isn't really liked by most people looking to read, learn, and chat
about METALWORKING.

I honestly think you will utterly Ignore this request, but I thought
it was worth a try. This is a perfect time to show that your politics
INCLUDE kindness, understanding, and graciousness, and your response
will say a lot about you.

James, Seattle

Your plea is noted. And while its interesting...its also noted that
apparently you are unable to figure out how to set up an OT filter.

I was hoping for more from you. I suppose it was too much to
expect... I mean, respect for everyone in the newsgroup... it's
obvious you see yourself as more important than mannors themselves.

Sort of goes with all your politics though.

And yes. I know how to use my killfile, but like someone else
mentioned, one out of ever 200 of your posts are helpful... I was
hoping you wouldn't make EVERYONE else killfile you, but now it's
clear.

James, Seattle
RainLover

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 20:48:23 GMT, Ignoramus12383
wrote:

Any newsgroup has two purposes, one is information exchange (how to do
metalworking) and another is a social forum for like minded people.

Because this is a social forum, we'll see some off topic messages.

If one of the purposes is suppressed, people leave and the quality of
the forum suffers.

If there are too many political posts (and I admit to posting a few
such messages recently), then then beign to drown out informational
messages, and defeat the main purpose of this newsgroup.

So, yes, I am joining in asking to simply reduce the # of political
posts. Not eliminate them, but to post less. I will try to not
contribute anything political myself, in fact just today I refrained
from answering some political posts.

Why not answer the posts you want to respond to but simple remove the
metal newsgroups from the headers before replying?

James, Seattle

"wallster" wrote:

HOLY SMOKES!!! It just dawned on me that this is EXACTLY how my nutty
family will act at the upcoming Thanksgiving table! (one nut will say
something about another nut and the next three hours are spent
listening to a bunch of nuts rehashing the first nuts comments)

We only have one liberal in the family. He shuts up fairly quickly.

Wes S
--
Reply to:
Whiskey Echo Sierra Sierra AT Alpha Charlie Echo Golf Romeo Oscar Paul dot Charlie Charlie

RainLover wrote:

Hey Gunner,

I know you are very politically active, but could you please
reconsider including the metalworking newsgroups in your crossposting?
It's a simple matter to remove them before replying... or when
starting a post, keeping metalworking OUT of the list.

I doubt it will ever happen. Both Gunner and Cliff do post with the
same address so it is up to you to deal with it.

This is usenet, computing w/o a condom unless you know how to
configure one.

Wes S
Tom Miller

Anyhow... I've never read one of the political
posts and did not notice
anything from Gunner. I'm simply commenting on
the OT posting "policy." Gunner has never
offended me. ...Maybe because I haven't read his
OT posts.

There are others of us from parts of the world
that don't have any interest at all in American
political bull****, but I usually read Gunner's
post's because every once in a while there is a
grain of gold in the manure pile.

Tom

Jon Danniken

wrote:
RainLover wrote:

Hey Gunner,

I know you are very politically active, but could you please
reconsider including the metalworking newsgroups in your crossposting?
It's a simple matter to remove them before replying... or when
starting a post, keeping metalworking OUT of the list.

I doubt it will ever happen. Both Gunner and Cliff do post with the
same address so it is up to you to deal with it.

Actually, Gunner posts using a number of different addresses:

These were all collected in the last couple months.

Jon
Gunner Asch

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 13:32:17 -0600, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

The worst I can say about Gunner is he interjects some of his OT political
bantering in the middle of long threads started by "hit collecting" trolls.
IMO, it would be much more appropriate in keeping with the letter, if not
the spirit, of usenet if Gunner would open posts under his own name. I
don't mean Gunner is trying to hide anything. Not at all. It's just that
he is adding roughage to the diets of trolls. I can hear it now; Iggy says
to Beanie Copter, "Hey can you believe it, I opened a thread on RCM and some
clown named Gunner soon blew it up to over 200 hits. Wooohooo!"

Bob Swinney

Bob...If by injecting a bit of my halfwitted buffoonery into a
thread..and others participate and it grows to 200 hits...it begs the
question:

Are they having a good time?
Do I have a large caliber handgun stuck in their ear to make them
post?
Is it contagious?

The answer of course is "shopping", or "42"

Gunner

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Richard says...

...Maybe it's time to get a moderated group and get rid of the
political bullcrap.

This one works:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi

Jim

please reply to:

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Gunner Asch

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 12:40:07 -0800, "John Kunkel"
wrote:

"RainLover" wrote in message
.. .
Hey Gunner,

I know you are very politically active, but could you please
reconsider including the metalworking newsgroups in your crossposting?
It's a simple matter to remove them before replying... or when
starting a post, keeping metalworking OUT of the list.

Your plea will fall on deaf ears.
People like Gunner are so insecure in their beliefs that they need to hear
constant reinforcement from like thinkers and will use any venue to that
end.

Blink blink.."insecure in their bleeves"????????

Hint for ya Johnboy...if I wanted peer reinforcement..Id be posting
on alt.rushlimbah or some such.

Is it so hard for you to understand..that Im secure enough in my
bleeves..that I can give tit for tat and put Leftist Fringe Kooks in
their place, and not go running home to mommy..or babbling
pyschobabble about insecurities and what not? Btw..are you one of
those that equates handguns with steel penis's?

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Gunner Asch

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 21:08:51 +0000 (UTC), Christopher Tidy
wrote:

Leo Lichtman wrote:
If tolerating Gunner will save the life of even one cat, then I ask all the
pinko-liberals like me to put up with him.

Well maybe Gunner will let us know when his cat dies :-).

Chris

Which one? I have about 20 at the moment, that I serve.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Gunner Asch

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 20:41:03 GMT, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

Your plea is noted. And while its interesting...its also noted that
apparently you are unable to figure out how to set up an OT filter.

And when all the ISPs stop covering newsgroups and we are all forced to use
a web interface that does not easily facilitate filtering... What then will
the answer be?

"Johns Mustache is green."

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Gunner Asch

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 14:59:52 -0600, Rastus
wrote:

Ignoramus12383 wrote:

Any newsgroup has two purposes, one is information exchange (how to do
metalworking) and another is a social forum for like minded people.

Because this is a social forum, we'll see some off topic messages.

If one of the purposes is suppressed, people leave and the quality of
the forum suffers.

If there are too many political posts (and I admit to posting a few
such messages recently), then then beign to drown out informational
messages, and defeat the main purpose of this newsgroup.

So, yes, I am joining in asking to simply reduce the # of political
posts. Not eliminate them, but to post less. I will try to not
contribute anything political myself, in fact just today I refrained
from answering some political posts.

In fact, let's have a show of hands here. Who is actually reading
political posts xposted to other newsgroup? (not raising my hand)

Like I stated in a previous post... I'm new on this group.
About the political posts... would they not just die a natural death
if they weren't cross posted to a bunch of other groups?

Just a question and an observation.

Posted from beautiful Hancock, Mi

They Always die a natural death. Some with a certain amount of
moaning, labored breathing and leg twitches, others with a sigh.

Gunner, who spent the first 13 yrs of his life in Hancock

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Gunner Asch

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 16:09:23 -0500, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:

I would like to take this opportunity to ask for everyone's support in my
bid for the presidency under the IPPV--Independent Party of the
Proctological Violated (which is every non-executive working stiff in effing
America).

By dint of some anatomical limitations left undetailed here, I am a much
better prospect than any Dem or Rep, cuz I won't be able to shove it in
nearly as far, even if I wanted to.

Note the lack of cross-posting.

Thank you all very much.
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

I second the motion!

Gunner

"Ignoramus12383" wrote in message
Any newsgroup has two purposes, one is information exchange (how to do
metalworking) and another is a social forum for like minded people.

Because this is a social forum, we'll see some off topic messages.

If one of the purposes is suppressed, people leave and the quality of
the forum suffers.

If there are too many political posts (and I admit to posting a few
such messages recently), then then beign to drown out informational
messages, and defeat the main purpose of this newsgroup.

So, yes, I am joining in asking to simply reduce the # of political
posts. Not eliminate them, but to post less. I will try to not
contribute anything political myself, in fact just today I refrained
from answering some political posts.

In fact, let's have a show of hands here. Who is actually reading
political posts xposted to other newsgroup? (not raising my hand)

I also agree with Christopher who said that we need more projects and
their pictures, posted here.

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Gunner Asch

wrote:

In fact, let's have a show of hands here. Who is actually reading
political posts xposted to other newsgroup? (not raising my hand)

I check in on the political threads occasionally and reach the same
conclusion every time - that the guy who's posting much of it and
inciting others is the least qualified to give opinions on important
issues. So the content of the posts is worthless in addition to them
cluttering up the group and driving people away. Gunner voluntarily
*doesn't* post political stuff in SEJW. There isn't any reason he
can't do the same in RCM. My bet is that if a majority voted that he
should quit posting political crap in RCM, he'd simply ignore the
results of the vote just as he ignores reason in general.

Wayne

Ignore "reason" or whiney leftwing fringe kooks named Wayne?

Actually Whine..if one simply does a google on our names together..it
turnes up an incredible number of OT posts with your name
predominately on the From line..and spew and vitrol below it.

Odd huh?

Gunner, wondering why this thread wasnt marked OT from the start?
Some double standards here by any chance?

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Gunner Asch

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 19:00:48 -0600, "Mike Henry"
wrote:

Your plea is noted. And while its interesting...its also noted that
apparently you are unable to figure out how to set up an OT filter.

If you would like, Id be most happy to assist you in this endeavor.

Couldn't you at least consider posting original messages separately in
newsgroups instead of crossposting them?

Ive considered it at length.

Respectfuly yours
Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Gunner Asch

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 18:25:05 -0800, RainLover
wrote:

[...]

So correct me if Im wrong James, but you are claiming that Some
crossposts are ok, while others are not? One of course must assume
that the differenation is by your standards, and not the standards of
others. Is this also correct?

So is perhaps you are interested in something to do with
say...automobiles, thats a gold standard, while anything you disagree
with in substance, or you have no interest in, is to be forbidden?

I think I see a problem here.........

Respectfuly

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Gunner Asch

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 18:31:07 -0800, RainLover
wrote:

[...]

Pardon moi Mssr James..but I did exactly as you requested. I
considered your post at length. I replied in a respectful fashion,
even though you had already prejudged that Id ignore your request in
total. I used good manners in my reply and even offered to assist you,
free of charge in the spirit of comaradery and good will.

Yet you then insult me in a contemptious fashion, post ad hominum
attacks and elevate yourself above me in a most arrogant manner.

Now is it the definition of Manners that I must agree with you? Hardly
Sir..hardly. Is it the definition of Manners that you insult me and
hold me in contempt, after I was very nice to you? Hardly
Sir..hardly.

I suspect..that there is more to this issue than a matter of manners
and agreement. Or even on or off topic subjects.

Indeed..it would appear that your issues involve a substancial
disagreement with my unabashed political stance, for which you have
only contempt and arrogant denial as to its legitimacy. Indeed..it
would appear that beneith the surface..you consider yourself and your
Bleeves to be superior to my humble self and the simple views that I
hold, and that I dont bow before you in supplication and bend to your
will, is causing you serious distress and anger.

Can I expect your seconds in the morning? My choice of weapons of
course. Perhaps sledgehammers in 6' of water? Sten guns at 3'?

Or will you simply loudly Harumph..and flounce off, sure of your
superiority, and continue to beleeve that tiny testicles and a mole
hill are signs of a Superior Being holding the moral high ground?

Respectfuly yours
I await your response.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Nick Müller

Dave Hinz wrote:

So then killfile by poster. Isn't choice _wonderful_?

Gunner and Cliff have the _choice_ to post in the right group.
They can't but call this "freedomn"

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

Gunner Asch

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 23:57:47 -0800, "Jon Danniken"

RainLover wrote:

Hey Gunner,

I know you are very politically active, but could you please
reconsider including the metalworking newsgroups in your crossposting?
It's a simple matter to remove them before replying... or when
starting a post, keeping metalworking OUT of the list.

I doubt it will ever happen. Both Gunner and Cliff do post with the
same address so it is up to you to deal with it.

Actually, Gunner posts using a number of different addresses:

These were all collected in the last couple months.

Jon

Correct. I post from at minimum..3 different computers. Laptop via
wireless, usually while in my truck, parked outside a free Wifi
provider, or from my server, my home node, or my LA computer.

One may simply filter by "gunner" if one desires. Wildcards are common
of course.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Don Foreman

Gunner has been very consistant about labelling OT messages. That works for
me.

I never see anything at all from Cliff anymore for some reason.....

"RainLover" wrote in message
[...]

Mike Henry

wrote:

Your plea is noted. And while its interesting...its also noted that
apparently you are unable to figure out how to set up an OT filter.

If you would like, Id be most happy to assist you in this endeavor.

Couldn't you at least consider posting original messages separately in
newsgroups instead of crossposting them?

Ive considered it at length.

And decided it wasn't worth your time?

Respectfuly yours
Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

jim rozen

In article , Gunner Asch says...

Couldn't you at least consider posting original messages separately in
newsgroups instead of crossposting them?

Ive considered it at length.

LOL. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Interestingly you don't go back and put the crosspost
back *in* the way that one loony used to - was that
cass? That actually got his ISP to yank his account.

Basically what somebody has to invent is the key on our
computer that makes *your* computer default to posting
to one group.

The rest of rcm would be hitting that key endlessly....

Maybe DoN could whip something up.

After that he could invent that button I've wanted all
these years. The button on my phone, that makes the
ther person's phone explode on their desk. Ah how
polite everyone would be....

Jim

please reply to:

RainLover

wrote:

[...]

NO. It's not. There's a huge difference between posting "How do I
weld aluminum" to RCM AND metalworking.engineering and posting
"LIEberals Suck" to RCM and, say, "alt.survivalist"

Do you see a difference?

So is perhaps you are interested in something to do with
say...automobiles, thats a gold standard, while anything you disagree
with in substance, or you have no interest in, is to be forbidden?

If you don't see a difference between the odd automobile post and your
incessant political rants, then you're beyond help.

I'm only asking you to be polite and post political discussions in
political newsgroups. It seems that's too much to ask of you. I'm
sorry.

I think I see a problem here.........

Indeed there is.

Respectfuly

Gunner

If you honestly had RESPECT, you'd keep your political posts in
political newsgroups. When you say "respectfully", it drips with
sarcasm.

James, Seattle

Glenn

Top posted for Gunner
It wouldn't matter how many folk ya plonk as long as there are others to
keep replying to crossposted off topic policrap it is going to pop back up.
If you filter OT then you lose a lot of the sometimes interesting stuff.
Part of the problem is that the crossposting has gotten sort of epidemic.
Gunner is not the only one crossposting to RCM from other groups with
policrap.
FUN FUN FUN

wrote:
[...]

wmbjk

wrote:

In fact, let's have a show of hands here. Who is actually reading
political posts xposted to other newsgroup? (not raising my hand)

I check in on the political threads occasionally and reach the same
conclusion every time - that the guy who's posting much of it and
inciting others is the least qualified to give opinions on important
issues. So the content of the posts is worthless in addition to them
cluttering up the group and driving people away. Gunner voluntarily
*doesn't* post political stuff in SEJW. There isn't any reason he
can't do the same in RCM. My bet is that if a majority voted that he
should quit posting political crap in RCM, he'd simply ignore the
results of the vote just as he ignores reason in general.

Wayne

Ignore "reason" or whiney leftwing fringe kooks named Wayne?

See, there's a perfect example of your lack of reason. All of the
things I've whined about in my entire life wouldn't come close to the
whining you do about "lefties" etc. in a month. As for kooks, the
definition surely includes people who waste their lives reading blogs
and posting dozens of times per day on Usenet. Yet curiously you
consider yourself not a kook but a cowboy instead, apparently the
result of making the all too common mistake of confusing keyboards
with kows.

Actually Whine..if one simply does a google on our names together..it
turnes up an incredible number of OT posts with your name
predominately on the From line..and spew and vitrol below it.

Odd huh?

Not at all. If one Googles my posts they'll find that I love skewering
blowhards. And it just doesn't blow any harder than lectures on
self-sufficiency written by the captain of the tiny ship Helpless
while it's circling the drain.

Gunner, wondering why this thread wasnt marked OT from the start?
Some double standards here by any chance?

Most people would consider discussion *about* the newsgroup to be
on-topic, political crap to be off-topic, and *your* political
opinions to be about as useful as their paperboy's. Use your head for
once. Posting your political crap in the appropriate group would make
most readers here think better of you. What a concept eh?

Wayne
Geoff M

The various trolls make their own way in here as well. The best way I have
found is to kill the thread if certain, non metalworking authors post in
it. There are some that never post to RCM on topic, so if they are in the
thread, there is nothing of value there, and it is gone.
I would prefer Gunner didn't post the political OT stuff, but he does add
some value to the group, even if he is a bit left wing for me, so I can let
it slide. The others though, go straight to the killfile.
Geoff
Gunner Asch

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 22:05:41 GMT, wmbjk
wrote:

Actually Whine..if one simply does a google on our names together..it
turnes up an incredible number of OT posts with your name
predominately on the From line..and spew and vitrol below it.

Odd huh?

Not at all. If one Googles my posts they'll find that I love skewering
blowhards.

Then it appears that you and I are not much different, eh Whine?

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

wmbjk

wrote:

Not at all. If one Googles my posts they'll find that I love skewering
blowhards.

Then it appears that you and I are not much different, eh Whine?

If by "not too much different" you mean that one enjoys skewering a
few loudmouths while the other is obsessed with insulting half the
population, that one averages about 1 post per day and the other about
3 dozen, that one has time to burn and the other has no time to waste,
and that one understands the concept of groups divided by topic while
the other refuses to accept it, then yes, we're exactly the same.

You've already shown how it should be done in SEJW, so doing less here
and arguing about it only proves that you're a stubborn child. Do
*yourself* a favor - keep your political crap in the groups where it
belongs.

Wayne
Gunner Asch

wrote:

Not at all. If one Googles my posts they'll find that I love skewering
blowhards.

Then it appears that you and I are not much different, eh Whine?

If by "not too much different" you mean that one enjoys skewering a
few loudmouths while the other is obsessed with insulting half the
population, that one averages about 1 post per day and the other about
3 dozen, that one has time to burn and the other has no time to waste,
and that one understands the concept of groups divided by topic while
the other refuses to accept it, then yes, we're exactly the same.

Are you claiming that half the population is loudmouths such as
yourself? Oddly enough..the figures belie your claim. Less than half
the population is Democrat, let alone whiney Liberal Democrats such as
yourself. Do try to be a bit more accurate. But then..reviewing your
posts over the last couple years..primarily your political
ones..accuracy is not your strong suite, is it?

You've already shown how it should be done in SEJW, so doing less here
and arguing about it only proves that you're a stubborn child. Do
*yourself* a favor - keep your political crap in the groups where it
belongs.

Wayne

Ill do myself a favor, and have a plate of biscuits and gravy.

See ya Whine.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
jim rozen

In article , Gunner Asch says...

Are you claiming that half the population is loudmouths such as
yourself? Oddly enough..the figures belie your claim. Less than half
the population is Democrat, let alone whiney Liberal Democrats such as
yourself.

Ah but the republicans blubber so long and loud when they
get indicted. All the wailing and gnashing of teeth is
music to my ears.

Jim

please reply to:
woodworker88

I do encourage you, Gunner, to keep up the great metalworking posts.
You know a hell of a lot about a lot of topics.

Gunner Asch

On 13 Nov 2005 14:53:21 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Gunner Asch says...

Are you claiming that half the population is loudmouths such as
yourself? Oddly enough..the figures belie your claim. Less than half
the population is Democrat, let alone whiney Liberal Democrats such as
yourself.

Ah but the republicans blubber so long and loud when they
get indicted. All the wailing and gnashing of teeth is
music to my ears.

Jim

Cites?

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

jim rozen

In article , Gunner Asch says...

Ah but the republicans blubber so long and loud when they
get indicted. All the wailing and gnashing of teeth is
music to my ears.

Cites?

Delay, Libby, Noe, Rove - err, no not rove yet....

Jim

please reply to:
Gunner Asch

On 13 Nov 2005 19:54:13 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Gunner Asch says...

Ah but the republicans blubber so long and loud when they
get indicted. All the wailing and gnashing of teeth is
music to my ears.

Cites?

Delay, Libby, Noe, Rove - err, no not rove yet....

Jim

Im waiting for the cites about the wailing and so forth.

Now when they get exonerated, will you be willing to slit your belly?

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
jim rozen

In article , Gunner Asch says...

Now when they get exonerated, will you be willing to slit your belly?

Ah no, we're back to the Ed Meese school of jusriprudence then.

ALL good republicans ascribe to this.

The LEO never charge innocent folks.

LOL.

So they've been tried and convicted by their own.

Jim

please reply to:
Dave Hinz

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 18:55:40 -0600, Mike Henry wrote:

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

Perhaps you're not noticing that often OT: posts will have OT:
in the subject line. You can set up your newsreader to ignore those
threads. Filtering is much more of a workable approach than trying to
dictate what someone else does or doesn't post.

It was a simple request, not a dictation. And a reasonable one to my view,
especially on original messages that are cross-posted. If the message is
all that important to get out it should be worth the effort of creating
separate messages to each ng that one feels will be benefitted by the
opinion expressed therein.

Well, crossposted messages are rarely on-topic for all groups, and even
more rarely _stay_ on-topic for all groups they're sent to. As such,
they're safely filtered once they pass 3 groups, in my opinion. The
regexp for the filter is simple for that one:
Newsgroups: *,*,*

It's a problem easily solved. Just like OT: in the subject is:
Subject: *OT:*

If your newsreader doesn't support killfiles with regular expressions,
get a better one which does - almost all of them do.

Yeah, like I said. Learn to filter and you'll enjoy Unenet much more.

Sounds like you are saying that all of us that aren't interested in teh
message should be willing to expend the effort to filter whereas Gunner
shouldn't be bothered to stop cross-posting. What makes his time more
valuable than those of us that aren't interested?

Well, you're not interested in one thing, some other guy isn't
interested in some other thing, and so on. Client-side is the logical
place to institute filtering when (a) it varies by client, and (b) it's
not likely to happen at the source. The sources are putting the OT:
tags in the headers to make filtering easy.

This is just like being at a party, and there's a group over in the
corner talking about Fantasy Football. You don't care about Fantasy
Football. Do you go over and demand they talk about something
different, or do you just not hang out in that corner?

He's perfectly right to ignore your request, it's unreasonable. The
problem has already been solved, you just need to use it. Filter posts
with OT: in the subject line, and you'll be fine.

That would make the OT posts of interest unavailable and some of those are
at least interesting. IMHO.

So you want people to post OT as long as it's interesting to you
personally. No filter in the world can do that.
Dave Hinz

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 18:25:05 -0800, RainLover wrote:
On 11 Nov 2005 16:38:25 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Perhaps you're not noticing that often OT: posts will have OT:
in the subject line. You can set up your newsreader to ignore those
threads. Filtering is much more of a workable approach than trying to
dictate what someone else does or doesn't post.

So, what you're saying is this: 1,000 people should all have to
configure their newsreaders to filter ONE or TWO people's posts
instead of those two people just keeping their posts where they are
welcomed?

No, what I'm saying is that when it's simple to do (control-K in many
newsreaders brings up the killfile dialog, see your documentation),
people waste more time bitching about it than just exercising their
killfiles. Mine has thousands of entries, and I sweep it out every 5
years or so.

Hm.... I'd LIKE to think Gunner and company are more polite and aware
than that... but I could be wrong.

Nobody knows what or who you do or don't want to read better than you.
You can killfile by anything - sender, people being responded to, time
of day, crossposts, _anything_. I don't know what you want and don't
want to read, but if you killfile subjects with OT: in them, I'm
guessing you'll have less to complain about.