Dave Hinz

Default GUNNER... about OT posting

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 18:25:05 -0800, RainLover wrote:
On 11 Nov 2005 16:38:25 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Perhaps you're not noticing that often OT: posts will have OT:
in the subject line. You can set up your newsreader to ignore those
threads. Filtering is much more of a workable approach than trying to
dictate what someone else does or doesn't post.

So, what you're saying is this: 1,000 people should all have to
configure their newsreaders to filter ONE or TWO people's posts
instead of those two people just keeping their posts where they are
welcomed?

No, what I'm saying is that when it's simple to do (control-K in many
newsreaders brings up the killfile dialog, see your documentation),
people waste more time bitching about it than just exercising their
killfiles. Mine has thousands of entries, and I sweep it out every 5
years or so.

Hm.... I'd LIKE to think Gunner and company are more polite and aware
than that... but I could be wrong.

Nobody knows what or who you do or don't want to read better than you.
You can killfile by anything - sender, people being responded to, time
of day, crossposts, _anything_. I don't know what you want and don't
want to read, but if you killfile subjects with OT: in them, I'm
guessing you'll have less to complain about.