Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default Purpose of shower switch

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 18:04:10 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

Steven Watkins wrote

Why do houses have a switch to turn the shower off,
either a cord on the ceiling or a switch in the hall?

Because that's how your stupid regulatory
authoritys decided it must be done.

At least you agree it's stupid.

Can't be for safety

Fraid so.

But it doesn't make anything safer.

- if you're in the shower and get a shock, if you've managed
to get out to reach the switch, you've got away from it anyway.

Its done like that for the other situation, so you
don't get out of the shower dripping wet and use
the switch dripping wet and get a shock that way.

What switch? I'm, saying there shouldn't be any external switch anywhere. Everyone turns the shower off on the shower itself while they're still in it.

Can't be to isolate to work on it, there's a fusebox for that.

Correct.

Don't need to turn it off when you're finished
showering, there's a switch on the shower itself.

But that's one that can be safely used dripping wet.

And so can the one on the shower, because that's already splashed to hell while you wash. So if you want to adjust the temperature, do you actually get out, turn off the isolation switch, then change the temperature, then turn it back on and get back in? The controls on a shower are waterproof!
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

And being scolded prevents you just getting out does it?

Anyway, showers are designed with overheat protection. Mine is quite annoying and cuts the power long before it's anything like painful. Or just because the pressure drops slightly in the mains, it panics and cuts out. And doesn't modern society believe that the cold can kill you just as easily?

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 18:12:49 -0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

Or scolded.
Brian

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

"Steven Watkins" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 15:59:17 -0000, trader_4
wrote:

On Saturday, November 10, 2018 at 10:33:19 AM UTC-5, Steven Watkins
wrote:
Why do houses have a switch to turn the shower off, either a cord on the
ceiling or a switch in the hall?

Why would anyone have a shower activated with a switch? I've lived in
many places, traveled to many countries. Some showers have lights that
are
on switches, but not the shower itself. The only place I saw such a
shower
was on my boat and it's a 12V pump.

Don't tell me you still use the kind you shove on the bath tap?

No bath tap in my place, no bath, stupid. Just showers.

We have electric showers in the UK now.

More fool you lot. Mine works on mains water pressure
and the hot water sits a bit stored hot water tank. No need
for any electricity in the shower.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Why do houses have a switch to turn the shower off, either a cord on the
ceiling or a switch in the hall?

Why would anyone have a shower activated with a switch? I've lived in
many places, traveled to many countries. Some showers have lights that
are
on switches, but not the shower itself. The only place I saw such a
shower
was on my boat and it's a 12V pump.

Don't tell me you still use the kind you shove on the bath tap?

No bath tap in my place, no bath, stupid. Just showers.

I was talking to Tim, who appears to have never seen a shower switch.

We have electric showers in the UK now.

More fool you lot.

They probably stem from back when water was heated in a non-pressurised tank, and you didn't get enough pressure for a shower. Now most people have combi boilers which could heat that much water directly, there's no need for them to have their own heater. Although some **** will probably say someone could turn on a tap and change the pressure or temperature and kill you by it being a bit warm or cold for the fraction of a second before you simply move out from under the water.

Mine works on mains water pressure
and the hot water sits a bit stored hot water tank. No need
for any electricity in the shower.

My Aunt used to have such a device. There was 12V in the shower for a pump though, since they didn't have one of those newfangled mains pressure hot water tanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"Steven Watkins" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 17:41:51 -0000, GB wrote:

On 10/11/2018 17:03, Steven Watkins wrote:

Or laugh when you make a woman scream because the water goes chilly.

Have you ever wondered why you have soooo little success with the ladies?

Why would I want a lady who's afraid of cold water? These kind are much
more fun:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Epiphany.html

No tits.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

It would be like turning off
your microwave oven at the wall every time you'd finished cooking.

But you can if you want to or need to.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

It is a sensible question, do you not know the answer?

All permanantly wired devices need a point of local isolation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 18:39:58 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

"Steven Watkins" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 17:41:51 -0000, GB wrote:

On 10/11/2018 17:03, Steven Watkins wrote:

Or laugh when you make a woman scream because the water goes chilly.

Have you ever wondered why you have soooo little success with the ladies?

Why would I want a lady who's afraid of cold water? These kind are much
more fun:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Epiphany.html

No tits.

I'm not that fussy. It's not like a cock where if it's too short it falls out on the backstroke. Anyway, tits larger than handfuls just sag and look ridiculous.

Women who swim in cold water probably burn off excess calories - big tits are just lumps of fat. Same goes for enormous buttocks.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 18:41:58 -0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

It would be like turning off
your microwave oven at the wall every time you'd finished cooking.

But you can if you want to or need to.

Cite the legislation requiring a microwave to be connected to an accessible switched outlet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 18:43:54 -0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

It is a sensible question, do you not know the answer?

All permanantly wired devices need a point of local isolation.

I know they're meant to, but I've still not seen a sensible reason why. They can be isolated in the fusebox if you need to work on them. They can be switched off in normal operation by the controls on the unit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

Steven Watkins wrote

Why do houses have a switch to turn the shower off,
either a cord on the ceiling or a switch in the hall?

Because that's how your stupid regulatory
authoritys decided it must be done.

At least you agree it's stupid.

Can't be for safety

Fraid so.

But it doesn't make anything safer.

Yes it does, because if you choose to switch that switch
when dripping wet, you wont get electrocuted when that
switch is switched by pulling on a cord to that switch.

- if you're in the shower and get a shock, if you've managed
to get out to reach the switch, you've got away from it anyway.

Its done like that for the other situation, so you
don't get out of the shower dripping wet and use
the switch dripping wet and get a shock that way.

What switch?

The one that you switch by pulling on a cord.

I'm, saying there shouldn't be any external switch anywhere.

There has to be one somewhere to turn
it off when the one in the shower fails.

Everyone turns the shower off on the shower itself while they're still in
it.

But when that fails you can't.

Can't be to isolate to work on it, there's a fusebox for that.

Correct.

Don't need to turn it off when you're finished
showering, there's a switch on the shower itself.

But that's one that can be safely used dripping wet.

And so can the one on the shower, because that's already splashed to hell
while you wash.

But its designed to be used wet.

So if you want to adjust the temperature, do you actually get out, turn
off the isolation switch, then change the temperature, then turn it back
on and get back in? The controls on a shower are waterproof!

And the one attached to the string you pull isnt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 17:02:17 -0000, "Steven Watkins"
wrote:

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 16:52:04 -0000, wrote:

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 16:26:12 -0000, "Steven Watkins"
wrote:

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 16:19:15 -0000, wrote:

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 15:33:18 -0000, "Steven Watkins"
wrote:

Why do houses have a switch to turn the shower off, either a cord on the ceiling or a switch in the hall?

Can't be for safety - if you're in the shower and get a shock, if you've managed to get out to reach the switch, you've got away from it anyway.

Can't be to isolate to work on it, there's a fusebox for that.

Don't need to turn it off when you're finished showering, there's a switch on the shower itself.

What is "electric" in the shower in the first place?

The heating element, and in low water pressure areas, possibly a pump.

Strange. We just have central water heaters and pressurized plumbing.
The water heater is required to be bonded and there is enough metal
surface area to bond the water.

We tend to have gas powered boilers that heat the water for sinks and the radiators. But for some reason not the shower - no idea why as they're a similar power rating.

No switching devices or receptacles are allowed in the shower space
and any lights are required to be 8 feet up with a water resistant
"shower trim".

When was the last time a policeman inspected this?

Typically when the house was built or remodeled.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Steven Watkins wrote
Brian Gaff wrote

Or scolded.

And being scolded prevents you just getting out does it?

Depends on who is doing the scolding.

Anyway, showers are designed with overheat protection. Mine is quite
annoying and cuts the power long before it's anything like painful. Or
just because the pressure drops slightly in the mains, it panics and cuts
out.

So you bought/stole/inherited a dud, as always.

And doesn't modern society believe that the cold can kill you just as
easily?

Nope, cold showers cant.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

You invite someone in to admire your remodelling?! Do you inform someone to check if you've fitted a new lightbulb correctly aswell?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 18:59:49 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

Steven Watkins wrote
Brian Gaff wrote

Or scolded.

And being scolded prevents you just getting out does it?

Depends on who is doing the scolding.

Well if it's deliberate, nobody is going to get to the isolation switch.

Anyway, showers are designed with overheat protection. Mine is quite
annoying and cuts the power long before it's anything like painful. Or
just because the pressure drops slightly in the mains, it panics and cuts
out.

So you bought/stole/inherited a dud, as always.

It was fitted over 18 years ago before I bought the house. I've got a new one when I get round to fitting it, as this one has started dropping pressure, the valve doesn't always open properly, and I can't obtain a replacement valve to fit it.

And doesn't modern society believe that the cold can kill you just as
easily?

Nope, cold showers cant.

They do if you believe the bull**** everybody spouts. I've heard of people allegedly dying because they fell asleep in a warm bath which became room temperature.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 10/11/2018 15:35, GB wrote:
On 10/11/2018 15:33, Steven Watkins wrote:
Why do houses have a switch to turn the shower off, either a cord on
the ceiling or a switch in the hall?

Can't be for safety - if you're in the shower and get a shock, if
you've managed to get out to reach the switch, you've got away from it
anyway.

Can't be to isolate to work on it, there's a fusebox for that.

Don't need to turn it off when you're finished showering, there's a
switch on the shower itself.

If I answer this, do you promise to **** off?

It's so somebody not in the shower can isolate it quickly before helping
the poor bugger who is being electrocuted.

I wonder why there is a requirement that the switch indicate whether it
is on or off even when there is no power, i.e. pull switches need a 0/1
indicator (or similar), not just a neon?

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
ARW ARW is offline

On 10/11/2018 16:19, Richard wrote:
On 10/11/2018 15:49, GB wrote:
On 10/11/2018 15:44, Frank wrote:
On 11/10/2018 10:35 AM, GB wrote:

snip

I smell JWS has nym shifted again.

Indeed, he has. And, as you can see from the post he made at the same
time as you, answering one inane question just gives him scope to ask
a lot of even sillier ones.

Well, as you were first to bite...

It was a teasing question that the pillock asked.

TBH I have never used my shower pull switch other than to swap the
shower and I installed the first shower in 1999.

--
Adam
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Why do houses have a switch to turn the shower off, either a cord on
the
ceiling or a switch in the hall?

Why would anyone have a shower activated with a switch? I've lived in
many places, traveled to many countries. Some showers have lights
that
are
on switches, but not the shower itself. The only place I saw such a
shower
was on my boat and it's a 12V pump.

Don't tell me you still use the kind you shove on the bath tap?

No bath tap in my place, no bath, stupid. Just showers.

I was talking to Tim, who appears to have never seen a shower switch.

And who is very unlikely to have a shower on the bath taps.

We have electric showers in the UK now.

More fool you lot.

They probably stem from back when water was heated in a non-
pressurised tank, and you didn't get enough pressure for a shower.

That's wrong too. I had one in the last flat I rented and it worked fine.

Now most people have combi boilers which could heat that much water
directly, there's no need for them to have their own heater. Although
some **** will probably say someone could turn on a tap and change the
pressure or temperature and kill you by it being a bit warm or cold for
the fraction of a second before you simply move out from under the water.

Mine works on mains water pressure and the hot water sits a big stored
hot water tank. No need for any electricity in the shower.

My Aunt used to have such a device. There was 12V in the shower for a
pump though, since they didn't have one of those newfangled mains pressure
hot water tanks.

I didn't in that last flat I rented and
it worked fine without any pump.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

It would be like turning off
your microwave oven at the wall every time you'd finished cooking.

But you can if you want to or need to.

Cite the legislation requiring a microwave to be connected to an
accessible switched outlet.

The rule that GPOs have to have a switch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

It is a sensible question, do you not know the answer?

All permanantly wired devices need a point of local isolation.

I know they're meant to, but I've still not seen a sensible reason why.

Yes, you actually are that stupid.

They can be isolated in the fusebox if you need to work on them.

But if has caught fire, its not necessarily a great
idea to turn the entire ring main off in the fusebox
and with a fusebox, not that easy for the stupid to
work out what to turn off in there either.

They can be switched off in normal operation by the controls on the unit.

Not if that's what has failed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 19:17:16 -0000, Max Demian wrote:

On 10/11/2018 15:35, GB wrote:
On 10/11/2018 15:33, Steven Watkins wrote:
Why do houses have a switch to turn the shower off, either a cord on
the ceiling or a switch in the hall?

Can't be for safety - if you're in the shower and get a shock, if
you've managed to get out to reach the switch, you've got away from it
anyway.

Can't be to isolate to work on it, there's a fusebox for that.

Don't need to turn it off when you're finished showering, there's a
switch on the shower itself.

If I answer this, do you promise to **** off?

It's so somebody not in the shower can isolate it quickly before helping
the poor bugger who is being electrocuted.

I wonder why there is a requirement that the switch indicate whether it
is on or off even when there is no power, i.e. pull switches need a 0/1
indicator (or similar), not just a neon?

Never heard of that, I guess mine's older. It's just a pull cord with a neon. It'll be removed entirely when I refurbish the bathroom. It's just left on 24/7 anyway.

To answer your question I assume the safety conscious pussies that make the rules think you must be able to make sure it's off before you return power from the fusebox or a powercut. I had the same bull**** when some council workers were gardening near my house and dug through a gas main. When it was repaired and they turned it back on, they wanted to check all my gas appliances incase I had one with a faulty pilot light thermocouple. I told them to get lost.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 11/10/2018 10:35 AM, GB wrote:

snip

I smell JWS has nym shifted again.

Indeed, he has. And, as you can see from the post he made at the same
time as you, answering one inane question just gives him scope to ask
a lot of even sillier ones.

Well, as you were first to bite...

It was a teasing question that the pillock asked.

No, I actually want to know why. As yet, no sensible reason has been given.

TBH I have never used my shower pull switch other than to swap the
shower and I installed the first shower in 1999.

And you could have just used the fuse/circuit breaker in the consumer unit for that.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

It would be like turning off
your microwave oven at the wall every time you'd finished cooking.

But you can if you want to or need to.

Cite the legislation requiring a microwave to be connected to an
accessible switched outlet.

The rule that GPOs have to have a switch.

I said ACCESSIBLE. Mine or example is sited in front of the socket. I'd have to pull the microwave out to get to it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
GB GB is offline

On 11/10/2018 10:35 AM, GB wrote:

snip

I smell JWS has nym shifted again.

Indeed, he has. And, as you can see from the post he made at the same
time as you, answering one inane question just gives him scope to ask
a lot of even sillier ones.

Well, as you were first to bite...

It was a teasing question that the pillock asked.

And I was a pillock for answering it. My apologies.

TBH I have never used my shower pull switch other than to swap the
shower and I installed the first shower in 1999.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
ARW ARW is offline

On 11/10/2018 10:35 AM, GB wrote:

snip

I smell JWS has nym shifted again.

Indeed, he has. And, as you can see from the post he made at the same
time as you, answering one inane question just gives him scope to ask
a lot of even sillier ones.

Well, as you were first to bite...

It was a teasing question that the pillock asked.

No, I actually want to know why.* As yet, no sensible reason has been
given.

TBH I have never used my shower pull switch other than to swap the
shower and I installed the first shower in 1999.

And you could have just used the fuse/circuit breaker in the consumer
unit for that.

I could have done but it is on a shared RCD.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"Steven Watkins" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 18:59:49 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

Steven Watkins wrote
Brian Gaff wrote

Or scolded.

And being scolded prevents you just getting out does it?

Depends on who is doing the scolding.

Well if it's deliberate, nobody is going to get to the isolation switch.

There is no isolation switch with scolding. You
have to shoot, stab. stomp or strangle the scolder.

Anyway, showers are designed with overheat protection. Mine is quite
annoying and cuts the power long before it's anything like painful. Or
just because the pressure drops slightly in the mains, it panics and
cuts out.

So you bought/stole/inherited a dud, as always.

It was fitted over 18 years ago before I bought the house.

So you were stupid enough to buy that house and didn't change it.

I've got a new one when I get round to fitting it, as this one has started
dropping pressure, the valve doesn't always open properly, and I can't
obtain a replacement valve to fit it.

And doesn't modern society believe that the cold can kill you just as
easily?

Nope, cold showers cant.

Tho I spose someone might have a heart attack in the
depths of winter in that frigid island that you infest.

They do if you believe the bull**** everybody spouts.

Everyone doesn't.

I've heard of people allegedly dying because they fell asleep in a warm
bath which became room temperature.

That's because they drown, stupid.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

It would be like turning off
your microwave oven at the wall every time you'd finished cooking.

But you can if you want to or need to.

Cite the legislation requiring a microwave to be connected to an
accessible switched outlet.

The rule that GPOs have to have a switch.

I said ACCESSIBLE. Mine or example is sited in front of the socket. I'd
have to pull the microwave out to get to it.

Still accessible. Even you should be able to manage that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"GB" wrote in message
news
On 10/11/2018 15:33, Steven Watkins wrote:
Why do houses have a switch to turn the shower off, either a cord on the
ceiling or a switch in the hall?

Can't be for safety - if you're in the shower and get a shock, if you've
managed to get out to reach the switch, you've got away from it anyway.

Can't be to isolate to work on it, there's a fusebox for that.

Don't need to turn it off when you're finished showering, there's a
switch on the shower itself.

If I answer this, do you promise to **** off?

It's so somebody not in the shower can isolate it quickly before helping
the poor bugger who is being electrocuted.

That's not the reason for the pull cord on the switches inside the bathroom.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message
On Saturday, November 10, 2018 at 10:33:19 AM UTC-5, Steven Watkins wrote:
Why do houses have a switch to turn the shower off, either a cord on the
ceiling or a switch in the hall?

Why would anyone have a shower activated with a switch?

Because there has to be one when it uses electricity to instantly
heat the water instead of using stored hot water. And when
the shower has a pump to increase the water pressure.

I've lived in many places, traveled to many countries.

But clearly havent used too many showers in many houses.

Some showers have lights that are
on switches, but not the shower itself.

Plenty in europe and china have what wimps call suicide
showers where the mains is in direct contact with the
water in the shower head and heats the water that way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNjA0aee07k

The only place I saw such a shower
was on my boat and it's a 12V pump.

Then you need to get out more.

Trolling?

Not in this case, its a genuine question.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Saturday, November 10, 2018 at 10:33:19 AM UTC-5, Steven Watkins wrote:
Why do houses have a switch to turn the shower off, either a cord on the
ceiling or a switch in the hall?

Can you please describe the situation more fully. Does this switch turn
off
the water, or does it turn off electricity (such as for a light in the
shower compartment)?

It turns off the electrical heating of the water in the shower.

Some not in england go even further
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNjA0aee07k

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"GB" wrote in message
news
On 10/11/2018 17:03, Steven Watkins wrote:

Or laugh when you make a woman scream because the water goes chilly.

Have you ever wondered why you have soooo little success with the ladies?

That's not a lady. She's very unlikely to wearing a tiara in the shower.

Even Liz doesn't. Or the bath either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 11/10/2018 10:35 AM, GB wrote:

snip

I smell JWS has nym shifted again.

Indeed, he has. And, as you can see from the post he made at the same
time as you, answering one inane question just gives him scope to ask
a lot of even sillier ones.

Well, as you were first to bite...

It was a teasing question that the pillock asked.

No, I actually want to know why. As yet, no sensible reason has been
given.

TBH I have never used my shower pull switch other than to swap the
shower and I installed the first shower in 1999.

And you could have just used the fuse/circuit breaker in the consumer
unit for that.

I could have done but it is on a shared RCD.

That in itself probably breaks some silly regulation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
ARW ARW is offline

On 10/11/2018 19:17, Max Demian wrote:
On 10/11/2018 15:35, GB wrote:
On 10/11/2018 15:33, Steven Watkins wrote:
Why do houses have a switch to turn the shower off, either a cord on
the ceiling or a switch in the hall?

Can't be for safety - if you're in the shower and get a shock, if
you've managed to get out to reach the switch, you've got away from
it anyway.

Can't be to isolate to work on it, there's a fusebox for that.

Don't need to turn it off when you're finished showering, there's a
switch on the shower itself.

If I answer this, do you promise to **** off?

It's so somebody not in the shower can isolate it quickly before
helping the poor bugger who is being electrocuted.

I wonder why there is a requirement that the switch indicate whether it
is on or off even when there is no power, i.e. pull switches need a 0/1
indicator (or similar), not just a neon?

The neon is optional in uk regs.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Or scolded.

Not nice to scold someone who has just been electrocuted in the shower,
you should be scolding the one who perpetrated that abortion.

"GB" wrote in message
news
On 10/11/2018 15:33, Steven Watkins wrote:
Why do houses have a switch to turn the shower off, either a cord on the
ceiling or a switch in the hall?

Can't be for safety - if you're in the shower and get a shock, if you've
managed to get out to reach the switch, you've got away from it anyway.

Can't be to isolate to work on it, there's a fusebox for that.

Don't need to turn it off when you're finished showering, there's a
switch on the shower itself.

If I answer this, do you promise to **** off?

It's so somebody not in the shower can isolate it quickly before helping
the poor bugger who is being electrocuted.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Steven Watkins" wrote in message
news On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 18:41:58 -0000, DerbyBorn
wrote:

It would be like turning off
your microwave oven at the wall every time you'd finished cooking.

But you can if you want to or need to.

Cite the legislation requiring a microwave to be connected to an
accessible switched outlet.

The rule that GPOs have to have a switch.

I said ACCESSIBLE. Mine or example is sited in front of the socket. I'd
have to pull the microwave out to get to it.

Still accessible. Even you should be able to manage that.

Not when the microwave is on fire or electrified, which is presumably what the silly rule is for.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
ARW ARW is offline

On 11/10/2018 10:35 AM, GB wrote:

snip

I smell JWS has nym shifted again.

Indeed, he has. And, as you can see from the post he made at the same
time as you, answering one inane question just gives him scope to ask
a lot of even sillier ones.

Well, as you were first to bite...

It was a teasing question that the pillock asked.

No, I actually want to know why.* As yet, no sensible reason has been
given.

TBH I have never used my shower pull switch other than to swap the
shower and I installed the first shower in 1999.

And you could have just used the fuse/circuit breaker in the consumer
unit for that.

I could have done but it is on a shared RCD.

That in itself probably breaks some silly regulation.

No regs broken.

But you are a steaming great ****.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"Max Demian" wrote in message
On 10/11/2018 15:35, GB wrote:
On 10/11/2018 15:33, Steven Watkins wrote:
Why do houses have a switch to turn the shower off, either a cord on the
ceiling or a switch in the hall?

Can't be for safety - if you're in the shower and get a shock, if you've
managed to get out to reach the switch, you've got away from it anyway.

Can't be to isolate to work on it, there's a fusebox for that.

Don't need to turn it off when you're finished showering, there's a
switch on the shower itself.

If I answer this, do you promise to **** off?

It's so somebody not in the shower can isolate it quickly before helping
the poor bugger who is being electrocuted.

I wonder why there is a requirement that the switch indicate whether it is
on or off even when there is no power, i.e. pull switches need a 0/1
indicator (or similar), not just a neon?

So you can see if its off when it has been turned off in the CU and
you are about to turn it on again in the CU. A neon can't do that.