Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Purpose of shower isolation switch

Had a look around on t'internet, seems to be no real reason to have a shower cord in the bathroom. Why does it need to be switched off any more than any other appliance? Apart from maintainence once a decade, in which case you pull the fuse in the fusebox.

--
Britney Spears is pregnant. She plans to breast feed.
In other words, the child will have an abundant supply of artificial milk.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 23:29:35 -0000, "Tough Guy no. 1265"
wrote:

Had a look around on t'internet, seems to be no real reason to have a shower cord in the bathroom. Why does it need to be switched off any more than any other appliance? Apart from maintainence once a decade, in which case you pull the fuse in the fusebox.

Doesn't have to be a pullcord, can be a dolly switch outside the
bathroom.
I don't trust pullcord switches, even if they have a mechanical
tell-tail, so I would always isolate upstream as well.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
Had a look around on t'internet, seems to be no real reason to have a
shower cord in the bathroom. Why does it need to be switched off any more
than any other appliance? Apart from maintainence once a decade, in
which case you pull the fuse in the fusebox.

It's to get some silly PHucker troll to ask stupid questions, as usual. I'll
guess that the other chuckle brother (silly Wodney) will be along shortly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

bm wrote:
"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
Had a look around on t'internet, seems to be no real reason to have a
shower cord in the bathroom. Why does it need to be switched off any more
than any other appliance? Apart from maintainence once a decade, in
which case you pull the fuse in the fusebox.

It's to get some silly PHucker troll to ask stupid questions, as usual. I'll
guess that the other chuckle brother (silly Wodney) will be along shortly.

So you can switch it off when someone is dying from elocution in the
shower.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Had a look around on t'internet, seems to be no real reason to have a shower cord in the bathroom. Why does it need to be switched off any more than any other appliance? Apart from maintainence once a decade, in which case you pull the fuse in the fusebox.

Doesn't have to be a pullcord, can be a dolly switch outside the
bathroom.
I don't trust pullcord switches, even if they have a mechanical
tell-tail, so I would always isolate upstream as well.

Every appliance needs an isolator, and an isolator must isolate all live
conductors - that is both line and neutral. It also needs to be either
near enough the appliance that someone working on the appliance can see
(and stop!) somone going to turn it back on, or it needs a lock. So the
fuse in the main fusebox doesn't count - it's single pole and out of
sight (in practice with a fuse you can pull the fuse and put it in
your pocket, but it's still single pole and technically not an
isolator).

For most appliances, they have a plug. Unplugging meets all the
requirements for isolation. Appliances that don't have an accessible
plug need an isolator switch. That's usually a rocker switch in an
appropriate rating mounted next to the appliance. These aren't allowed
in a bathroom, though, so you have three choices:
a) A pull-cord isolator in the bathroom
b) A rocker switch isolator outside the bathroom, but still within sight
of someone working on the shower.
c) An isolator outside the bathroom that can be locked out.

The default choice seems to be a, though I would argue b is better if
possible.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

bm wrote:
"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
Had a look around on t'internet, seems to be no real reason to have a
shower cord in the bathroom. Why does it need to be switched off
any more than any other appliance? Apart from maintainence once a
decade, in which case you pull the fuse in the fusebox.

It's to get some silly PHucker troll to ask stupid questions, as
usual. I'll guess that the other chuckle brother (silly Wodney) will
be along shortly.

did you know that he has got a degree?
i do not have a degree, but i know the answer to his stupid question
phucker is 100% a ******

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Humphrey wrote in
o.uk:

wrote:

[...]

The thick cables can make the choice obvious!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mick" wrote in message
bm wrote:
"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
Had a look around on t'internet, seems to be no real reason to have a
shower cord in the bathroom. Why does it need to be switched off
any more than any other appliance? Apart from maintainence once a
decade, in which case you pull the fuse in the fusebox.

It's to get some silly PHucker troll to ask stupid questions, as
usual. I'll guess that the other chuckle brother (silly Wodney) will
be along shortly.

did you know that he has got a degree?
i do not have a degree, but i know the answer to his stupid question
phucker is 100% a ******

Oh yes, I couldn't believe it either so I have this link -
http://s556.photobucket.com/user/bra...e.jpg.html?o=5
Not worth the paper it's written on, obviously. Then again, I've never seen
a Wodney degree (in hindsight).

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Mike Humphrey" wrote in message
o.uk...
wrote:

Had a look around on t'internet, seems to be no real reason to have a
shower cord in the bathroom. Why does it need to be switched off any
more than any other appliance? Apart from maintainence once a decade,
in which case you pull the fuse in the fusebox.

Doesn't have to be a pullcord, can be a dolly switch outside the
bathroom.
I don't trust pullcord switches, even if they have a mechanical
tell-tail, so I would always isolate upstream as well.

Every appliance needs an isolator, and an isolator must isolate all live
conductors - that is both line and neutral.

On a TN system there is no requirement to isolate the neutral and a single
pole MCB is allowed to be the isolator.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

But why does it need to be isolated on a regular basis? With day to day operation, you switch off the shower with the switch on the shower itself. On the very rare occasion you need to repair or replace the shower, you simply remove the fuse from the fusebox, or switch off its breaker. Consider a television set, you don't unplug it or switch it off at the wall unless you're trying to replace/repair/move it.

--
A man goes home early and catches another man in bed with his wife.
He drags the naked man out of the house and into his garden shed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Had a look around on t'internet, seems to be no real reason to have a
shower cord in the bathroom. Why does it need to be switched off any
more than any other appliance? Apart from maintainence once a decade,
in which case you pull the fuse in the fusebox.

Doesn't have to be a pullcord, can be a dolly switch outside the
bathroom.
I don't trust pullcord switches, even if they have a mechanical
tell-tail, so I would always isolate upstream as well.

Every appliance needs an isolator, and an isolator must isolate all live
conductors - that is both line and neutral.

On a TN system there is no requirement to isolate the neutral and a single
pole MCB is allowed to be the isolator.

Thought so, which is what I've read in some of the legal documents. Yet everybody seems to be fitting these switches.... Unless it's a greenie thing to stop power wastage from the LED/neon on the shower unit?!

--
You know you've spent too much time on the computer when you spill milk and the first thing you think is, 'Edit, Undo.'
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 Dec 2015 02:45:38 -0000, F Murtz wrote:

bm wrote:
"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
Had a look around on t'internet, seems to be no real reason to have a
shower cord in the bathroom. Why does it need to be switched off any more
than any other appliance? Apart from maintainence once a decade, in
which case you pull the fuse in the fusebox.

It's to get some silly PHucker troll to ask stupid questions, as usual. I'll
guess that the other chuckle brother (silly Wodney) will be along shortly.

So you can switch it off when someone is dying from elocution in the
shower.

I wouldn't, I'd pull them out. Give them a hard yank so they fall out even when you jump too. Same goes for a fire on the stove, you don't **** about turning it off, you get the flaming pan outside the house.

Anyway, people don't tend to die from electrocution in a shower, and those that do are probably dead before you get there.

--
He was deeply in love. When she spoke, he thought he heard bells, as if she were a dustcart reversing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

bm wrote:
"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news Had a look around on t'internet, seems to be no real reason to have a
shower cord in the bathroom. Why does it need to be switched off any more
than any other appliance? Apart from maintainence once a decade, in
which case you pull the fuse in the fusebox.

It's to get some silly PHucker troll to ask stupid questions, as usual. I'll
guess that the other chuckle brother (silly Wodney) will be along shortly.

So you can switch it off when someone is dying from elocution in the
shower.

I wouldn't, I'd pull them out. Give them a hard yank so they fall out even when you jump too. Same goes for a fire on the stove, you don't **** about turning it off, you get the flaming pan outside the house.

Such fires are often burning oil. Trust me, you don't want to carry a
burning pan of oil or fat anywhere, the damp towel trick actually
works within a few seconds as I found out when I had to do it when my
grandmother left the chip-pan unattended and I happened to arrive for
some lunch.
I agree that turning it off needn't be the first priority, unless it's
gas.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

bm wrote:
"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news Had a look around on t'internet, seems to be no real reason to have a
shower cord in the bathroom. Why does it need to be switched off any more
than any other appliance? Apart from maintainence once a decade, in
which case you pull the fuse in the fusebox.

It's to get some silly PHucker troll to ask stupid questions, as usual. I'll
guess that the other chuckle brother (silly Wodney) will be along shortly.

So you can switch it off when someone is dying from elocution in the
shower.

I wouldn't, I'd pull them out. Give them a hard yank so they fall out even when you jump too. Same goes for a fire on the stove, you don't **** about turning it off, you get the flaming pan outside the house.

Such fires are often burning oil. Trust me, you don't want to carry a
burning pan of oil or fat anywhere,

I have and it works fine. Open door(s), pick up pan at arms length, carry carefully outside and place on the ground.

the damp towel trick actually
works within a few seconds as I found out when I had to do it when my
grandmother left the chip-pan unattended and I happened to arrive for
some lunch.

If there's a handy towel and sink in reach.

I agree that turning it off needn't be the first priority, unless it's
gas.

Doesn't matter if it's gas or not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news:4r2dnaYNcvjia_bLnZ2dnUU78UednZ2d@brightview. co.uk...
wrote:

Had a look around on t'internet, seems to be no real reason to have a
shower cord in the bathroom. Why does it need to be switched off any
more than any other appliance? Apart from maintainence once a decade,
in which case you pull the fuse in the fusebox.

Doesn't have to be a pullcord, can be a dolly switch outside the
bathroom.
I don't trust pullcord switches, even if they have a mechanical
tell-tail, so I would always isolate upstream as well.

Every appliance needs an isolator, and an isolator must isolate all live
conductors - that is both line and neutral.

On a TN system there is no requirement to isolate the neutral and a single
pole MCB is allowed to be the isolator.

I didn't know that, and even if I did I wouldn't have been able to
convince the bathroom fitters (pre Part P)

They fitted the pullcord isolator three inches away from the existing
light pullcord, the obvious place for it was in the corner behind the
door when it is open. I got them to move it but it needed a JB to
extend the cable which I would rather not have I the loft.

The other thing they insisted upon was a unswitched FCU for the
mirror light/shaver socket, even though it was fed from a 6A MCB. They
kindly left the 13A fuse in it as supplied.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

So much easier to fit things yourself, the way YOU want them. Why are you not doing so, considering you're in a DIY group?

--
Before you set out on a journey, ring your local radio station and say there's a teerrible congestion on your road. Everybody avoids it and it's clear for you! -- Jack Dee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Presumably because like with most people he is
selective about what he DIYs and what he doesn't.

You are too, you didn't DIY the house you currently
occupy. I did mine on a bare block of land.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I can't resist this:
"What's a joist"?
(Peter Hucker)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I would have done if I thought it would have been cheaper. There's also the problem of mortgages.

After buying the house, I DIY absolutely everything.

--
In 1977, researchers detected a strong radio signal from space that lasted 72 seconds. It hasn't been detected since.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Had a look around on t'internet, seems to be no real reason to have
a shower cord in the bathroom. Why does it need to be switched off
any more than any other appliance? Apart from maintainence once a
decade, in which case you pull the fuse in the fusebox.

Doesn't have to be a pullcord, can be a dolly switch outside the
bathroom.
I don't trust pullcord switches, even if they have a mechanical
tell-tail, so I would always isolate upstream as well.

Every appliance needs an isolator, and an isolator must isolate all live
conductors - that is both line and neutral.

On a TN system there is no requirement to isolate the neutral and a
single pole MCB is allowed to be the isolator.

Indeed, although if you only have single pole switching, then you need
to have a suitable place to allow disconnection of the neutral as well
(537.2.1.7).

One could do this at the CU, but it seems preferable to have another
place to do that.

(its also good practice IMHO have local isolation for showers, since
this avoids the whole issue of needing to lock our the MCB, and gives
the consumer confidence that they have a way of turning it off in the
case of an emergency)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Why would you need to remove a 0V wire? They don't hurt when you touch them.

(its also good practice IMHO have local isolation for showers, since
this avoids the whole issue of needing to lock our the MCB, and gives
the consumer confidence that they have a way of turning it off in the
case of an emergency)

Lock? You switch it off (in the VERY unlikely event you're working on repairing or replacing the shower). If you have a wife or kids, tell them to leave it off, not that they'd have a reason to turn it on if they weren't trying to have a shower and failing (which is impossible since you're in there fixing it).

--
Having swallowed the most amount of semen ever officially recorded Michelle Monaghan had 1.7 pints (0.96 liter) of semen pumped out of her stomach in Los Angeles in July 1991.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Because in reality it won't be 0V. Short it to earth, and you will most
likely trip the RCD potentially de-energising other circuits.

(its also good practice IMHO have local isolation for showers, since
this avoids the whole issue of needing to lock our the MCB, and gives
the consumer confidence that they have a way of turning it off in the
case of an emergency)

Lock? You switch it off (in the VERY unlikely event you're working on
repairing or replacing the shower). If you have a wife or kids, tell
them to leave it off, not that they'd have a reason to turn it on if
they weren't trying to have a shower and failing (which is impossible
since you're in there fixing it).

If you were fixing the shower, I could understand their temptation to
turn it back on!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Then the RCD is unfit for purpose. It's supposed to detect live to ground, not neutral to ground.

Anyway, if what you said was true, it could happen with any electrical item, as most things only have a live switched off.

(its also good practice IMHO have local isolation for showers, since
this avoids the whole issue of needing to lock our the MCB, and gives
the consumer confidence that they have a way of turning it off in the
case of an emergency)

Lock? You switch it off (in the VERY unlikely event you're working on
repairing or replacing the shower). If you have a wife or kids, tell
them to leave it off, not that they'd have a reason to turn it on if
they weren't trying to have a shower and failing (which is impossible
since you're in there fixing it).

If you were fixing the shower, I could understand their temptation to
turn it back on!

It's best not to electrocute someone who's doing you a favour.

--
His wife had been killed in an accident and the police were questioning Finnegan.
"Did she say anything before she died?" asked the sergeant.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

In your case it would be an opportunity too good to miss.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Says the most infamous person in the group.

--
For the really paranoid who want to destroy data there's nothing like taking the lid off the disk drive and rearranging the sectors with a hammer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

No, its supposed to detect an imbalance between current flow in Line and
Neutral.

Anyway, if what you said was true,

It is.

it could happen with any electrical
item, as most things only have a live switched off.

No, because switching something off by disconnection of the live via a
switch does not also connect the Neutral to Earth.

(its also good practice IMHO have local isolation for showers, since
this avoids the whole issue of needing to lock our the MCB, and gives
the consumer confidence that they have a way of turning it off in the
case of an emergency)

Lock? You switch it off (in the VERY unlikely event you're working on
repairing or replacing the shower). If you have a wife or kids, tell
them to leave it off, not that they'd have a reason to turn it on if
they weren't trying to have a shower and failing (which is impossible
since you're in there fixing it).

If you were fixing the shower, I could understand their temptation to
turn it back on!

It's best not to electrocute someone who's doing you a favour.

But they would be doing themselves favour...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

No, that's what it does, in an effort to detect stray current to earth, it's the easy option and as has just been pointed out a complete and utter failure.

Anyway, if what you said was true,

It is.

it could happen with any electrical
item, as most things only have a live switched off.

No, because switching something off by disconnection of the live via a
switch does not also connect the Neutral to Earth.

It leaves the neutral available.

(its also good practice IMHO have local isolation for showers, since
this avoids the whole issue of needing to lock our the MCB, and gives
the consumer confidence that they have a way of turning it off in the
case of an emergency)

Lock? You switch it off (in the VERY unlikely event you're working on
repairing or replacing the shower). If you have a wife or kids, tell
them to leave it off, not that they'd have a reason to turn it on if
they weren't trying to have a shower and failing (which is impossible
since you're in there fixing it).

If you were fixing the shower, I could understand their temptation to
turn it back on!

It's best not to electrocute someone who's doing you a favour.

But they would be doing themselves favour...

They'd not get a working shower.

--
Three guys go to a ski lodge, and there aren't enough rooms, so they have to share a bed. In the middle of the night, the guy on the right wakes up and says, "I had this wild, vivid dream of getting a hand job!" The guy on the left wakes up, and unbelievably, he's had the same dream, too. Then the guy in the middle wakes up and says, "That's funny, I dreamt I was skiing!"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Corse they would when your corpse is removed and
they get someone else to fix it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Too much paperwork.

--
We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful god, who creates faulty humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes -- Gene Roddenberry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

They don't have to do any paperwork at all, just
dial 999 and tell them to take your corpse away.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news On Tue, 15 Dec 2015 01:46:37 -0000, John Rumm

wrote:

[...]

Then the enquiries start.

--
Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and newsgroups are nothing like Shakespeare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

That's only a problem for those doing the enquirys.

Not a problem for those who cheered as you fried.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news On Tue, 15 Dec 2015 21:37:07 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

[...]

Not if your house is checked over and your shower confiscated etc for evidence.

--
What is the difference between mechanical engineers and civil engineers?
Mechanical engineers build weapons and civil engineers build targets.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2015 01:06, bm wrote:
It's to get some silly PHucker troll to ask stupid questions, as usual. I'll
guess that the other chuckle brother (silly Wodney) will be along shortly.

Why don't you just killfile them?

isolation switch charles UK diy 24 December 19th 14 03:02 PM
Jado multi purpose shower head problem- could apply to allmultipurpose shower heads KOS Home Repair 2 December 25th 09 10:15 PM
Isolation Switch Advice Please ? the_constructor UK diy 3 January 11th 07 11:12 PM
Isolation switch wiring convention r.galvin UK diy 13 October 1st 03 05:34 AM
Enclosure for DP isolation switch [email protected] UK diy 1 September 16th 03 04:24 PM