Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham.[_11_] Graham.[_11_] is offline

Default Purpose of shower isolation switch

On Sat, 12 Dec 2015 12:52:10 -0000, "ARW"
wrote:

"Mike Humphrey" wrote in message
news:4r2dnaYNcvjia_bLnZ2dnUU78UednZ2d@brightview. co.uk...
Graham. wrote:
On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 23:29:35 -0000, "Tough Guy no. 1265"
wrote:

Had a look around on t'internet, seems to be no real reason to have a
shower cord in the bathroom. Why does it need to be switched off any
more than any other appliance? Apart from maintainence once a decade,
in which case you pull the fuse in the fusebox.

Doesn't have to be a pullcord, can be a dolly switch outside the
bathroom.
I don't trust pullcord switches, even if they have a mechanical
tell-tail, so I would always isolate upstream as well.

Every appliance needs an isolator, and an isolator must isolate all live
conductors - that is both line and neutral.

On a TN system there is no requirement to isolate the neutral and a single
pole MCB is allowed to be the isolator.

I didn't know that, and even if I did I wouldn't have been able to
convince the bathroom fitters (pre Part P)

They fitted the pullcord isolator three inches away from the existing
light pullcord, the obvious place for it was in the corner behind the
door when it is open. I got them to move it but it needed a JB to
extend the cable which I would rather not have I the loft.

The other thing they insisted upon was a unswitched FCU for the
mirror light/shaver socket, even though it was fed from a 6A MCB. They
kindly left the 13A fuse in it as supplied.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%