Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Steven Watkins Steven Watkins is offline

Default Purpose of shower switch

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 18:22:13 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

"Steven Watkins" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 15:59:17 -0000, trader_4
wrote:

On Saturday, November 10, 2018 at 10:33:19 AM UTC-5, Steven Watkins
wrote:
Why do houses have a switch to turn the shower off, either a cord on the
ceiling or a switch in the hall?

Why would anyone have a shower activated with a switch? I've lived in
many places, traveled to many countries. Some showers have lights that
are
on switches, but not the shower itself. The only place I saw such a
shower
was on my boat and it's a 12V pump.

Don't tell me you still use the kind you shove on the bath tap?

No bath tap in my place, no bath, stupid. Just showers.

I was talking to Tim, who appears to have never seen a shower switch.

We have electric showers in the UK now.

More fool you lot.

They probably stem from back when water was heated in a non-pressurised tank, and you didn't get enough pressure for a shower. Now most people have combi boilers which could heat that much water directly, there's no need for them to have their own heater. Although some **** will probably say someone could turn on a tap and change the pressure or temperature and kill you by it being a bit warm or cold for the fraction of a second before you simply move out from under the water.

Mine works on mains water pressure
and the hot water sits a bit stored hot water tank. No need
for any electricity in the shower.

My Aunt used to have such a device. There was 12V in the shower for a pump though, since they didn't have one of those newfangled mains pressure hot water tanks.