Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Purpose of shower switch

On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 20:57:50 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

"Steven Watkins" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 20:09:32 -0000, NY wrote:

"Steven Watkins" wrote in message
news No, we used to have those things in the UK. Then we got electric
showers
for more pressure.

I've never understood why people have electric showers if they have a hot
water system at mains pressure (as opposed to a header tank in the loft).

Neither do I, but mains pressure hot water is a new thing.

Like hell it is.

It is in the UK, most used to have a hot water tank with a cold header tank in the attic.

Surely hot water at mains pressure heated in a tank or on demand in a
combi
boiler is just the same pressure and possibly better flow rate than an
electric shower which heats the same cold water as a combi but
electrically
rather than by gas or oil.

Our old house had a fantastic oil-fired combi boiler which could supply
hot
bath water for ages, and yet the shower was electric and had a piddly
flow
rate because the wiring to it was only rated for an 8 kW shower. If you
turned the temp up a bit, you could see the flow rate reduce :-(

Just how hot do you have a shower? 8kW is plentiful to heat a showerful
of water.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Senile YANKIETARD Alert!

On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 16:52:21 -0500, Ed Pawlowski, the notorious,
troll-feeding senile Yankietard, blathered again:

One for every house, what a waste of money and extremely untidy.* I've
got one huge transformer at the end of the street that powers 50 or 100
houses, through underground wires you cannot see.

No, one for many houses. Often one for a street.

Oh, look, the senile Yankietard couldn't resist the unwashed Scottish
******'s "charm" again! Must be the ******s peculiar BO that makes him so
irresistible to you senile idiots!
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On 11/10/18 8:36 PM, micky wrote:

[snip]

But what is an electric shower? Like an electric storm?

I've seen an ad for the Kevorker, a suicide booth disguised as a public
toilet. If you just want to use the toilet, be careful NOT to press the
"exit" button.

Nothing for showers, yet.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

"Stephen Watkin" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 21:19:41 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Stephen Watkin" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 20:43:01 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

NY wrote
Rod Speed wrote

But they have 115 and 230V in the same house.
It's a centre tapped 230V. Bit of a ****ing mess,
but thy can get a decent voltage when needed.

Not practical to do electric showers that way.

That's also the reason they don't use electric jugs
either, not practical to run them on 230V.

Why not?

They don't in fact have 230V GPOs in the kitchen
you can plug the kettle into. What 230V appliances
they do have are mostly hard wired with stuff like
driers in the laundry etc.

Which is bloody stupid, not having 240V sockets around.

Not when all the plug in appliances are 115V

I can move my 3kW kettle, fanheater, etc, etc around freely to any socket
anywhere in the kitchen or elsewhere in the house. They can't.

What's the difference between Europe's 220-240V
and and US 230V made up of two 115V supplies?

The lack of 230V GPOs in the kitchen to plug them into.

Easy enough to wire one up yourself surely?

Stupid to do that using the same plugs.

They've got about 20 varieties to choose from. No ****ing standards like
we do.

Power-hungry devices like kettles, cookers, tumble driers
and showers can be plugged into (or hard-wired into) the
230V supply and a centre tap supplies the rest of the house.

Problem is the lack of 230V GPOs in places like the kitchen.

Do US house have two wires for 230V live and neutral,
with a centre tap transformer in the house for the rest,

Normally.

or do they have three wires (115V live, 230V live and neutral)

Not usually.

with the centre-tapping done at the
substation rather than at each house?

They don't use substations so much either.
Much more common to have transformers
on the power pole, usually called pole pigs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:P...se-closeup.jpg

One for every house, what a waste of money and extremely untidy. I've
got
one huge transformer at the end of the street that powers 50 or 100
houses, through underground wires you cannot see.

My street

So which one is your house? :-)

is overhead lines with 11KV on the top and 4 240v lines below

Ouch! Storm, top lines fall onto bottom lines,

That doesn't happen.

big explosion in everyone's house.

And neither does that. We do occasionally see a branch
come down across the line so that you end up with 11KV
on one of the 240V lines, but it isnt there for long, the
breaker on the 11KV line trips very quickly.

We have seen one pole come down in the mini tornado
that brought down lots of trees but while that did see no
power for a while, no other electrical problem.

that. With a ****ing great transformer on a pair of poles round the
corner.
https://goo.gl/maps/HBGpn9owTvs

I had one of those where I used to live, but the HV was underground, and
so was the 240V, except to older houses which were there before they
installed it. Those had an overhead cable to them. My neighbour's roof
caught fire when his became detached from the eaves and shorted in his
attic, setting fire to the wood frame. He now has an underground cable.

The next subdivision over has underground power and transformers bigger
than a van but not as tall sitting on the ground.
https://goo.gl/maps/oU7Fc3TEL762

Ours tend to be a little more open than that but fenced in.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 22:24:30 -0000, George J wrote:

On 11/10/18 8:36 PM, micky wrote:

[snip]

But what is an electric shower? Like an electric storm?

I've seen an ad for the Kevorker, a suicide booth disguised as a public
toilet. If you just want to use the toilet, be careful NOT to press the
"exit" button.

Nothing for showers, yet.

Have you spelt that correctly? Google cannot find a Kevorker.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

"Stephen Watkin" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 20:59:18 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Stephen Watkin" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 20:34:08 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

NY wrote
Steven Watkins wrote

No, we used to have those things in the UK. Then we got electric
showers
for more pressure.

I've never understood why people have electric showers if they have a
hot
water system at mains pressure

Me neither, abortion of a system, particularly now its so
cheap to insulate the tank so it doesn't lose much heat.

Because a lot of folk only switch on the tank when they know they're
going
to need it, which means planning your shower.

I don't believe that a lot are actually that stupid.

Most are like that in fact.

Don't believe it.

Probably because the tank doesn't stay hot and wastes fuel.

Trivial to insulate fully.

But with a combi boiler there's no reason for an electric shower.

(as opposed to a header tank in the loft).

Even then, that worked fine in the last flat I rented before I built
the house. And the flat was on the top floor with the tank in the
roof space just above the shower room/laundry. Worked fine.

Surely hot water at mains pressure heated in a tank or on demand in a
combi boiler is just the same pressure and possibly better flow rate
than
an electric shower which heats the same cold water as a combi but
electrically rather than by gas or oil.

Yep.

Our old house had a fantastic oil-fired combi boiler which could
supply
hot bath water for ages, and yet the shower was electric and had a
piddly
flow rate because the wiring to it was only rated for an 8 kW shower.
If
you turned the temp up a bit, you could see the flow rate reduce :-(

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

NY wrote
Rod Speed wrote

But they have 115 and 230V in the same house.
It's a centre tapped 230V. Bit of a ****ing mess,
but thy can get a decent voltage when needed.

Not practical to do electric showers that way.

That's also the reason they don't use electric jugs
either, not practical to run them on 230V.

Why not?

They don't in fact have 230V GPOs in the kitchen
you can plug the kettle into. What 230V appliances
they do have are mostly hard wired with stuff like
driers in the laundry etc.

Which is bloody stupid, not having 240V sockets around.

They're lucky they don't still use DC, as promoted by Edison. "AC will
kill you!"

--
Max Demian
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

No response here?

is overhead lines with 11KV on the top and 4 240v lines below

Ouch! Storm, top lines fall onto bottom lines,

That doesn't happen.

Why not? Power lines often fall down in storms.

big explosion in everyone's house.

And neither does that. We do occasionally see a branch
come down across the line so that you end up with 11KV
on one of the 240V lines, but it isnt there for long, the
breaker on the 11KV line trips very quickly.

Before your 240V devices get 11kV through them and blow them up?

We have seen one pole come down in the mini tornado
that brought down lots of trees but while that did see no
power for a while, no other electrical problem.

that. With a ****ing great transformer on a pair of poles round the
corner.
https://goo.gl/maps/HBGpn9owTvs

I had one of those where I used to live, but the HV was underground, and
so was the 240V, except to older houses which were there before they
installed it. Those had an overhead cable to them. My neighbour's roof
caught fire when his became detached from the eaves and shorted in his
attic, setting fire to the wood frame. He now has an underground cable.

The next subdivision over has underground power and transformers bigger
than a van but not as tall sitting on the ground.
https://goo.gl/maps/oU7Fc3TEL762

Ours tend to be a little more open than that but fenced in.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

NY wrote
Rod Speed wrote

But they have 115 and 230V in the same house.
It's a centre tapped 230V. Bit of a ****ing mess,
but thy can get a decent voltage when needed.

Not practical to do electric showers that way.

That's also the reason they don't use electric jugs
either, not practical to run them on 230V.

Why not?

They don't in fact have 230V GPOs in the kitchen
you can plug the kettle into. What 230V appliances
they do have are mostly hard wired with stuff like
driers in the laundry etc.

Which is bloody stupid, not having 240V sockets around.

They're lucky they don't still use DC, as promoted by Edison. "AC will
kill you!"

They are quite a backward community.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

NY wrote:

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
But they have 115 and 230V in the same house. It's a centre tapped 230V.
Bit of a ****ing mess, but thy can get a decent voltage when needed.

Not practical to do electric showers that way.

That's also the reason they don't use electric jugs
either, not practical to run them on 230V.

Why not? What's the difference between Europe's 220-240V and and US 230V
made up of two 115V supplies? Power-hungry devices like kettles, cookers,
tumble driers and showers can be plugged into (or hard-wired into) the 230V
supply and a centre tap supplies the rest of the house.

Do US house have two wires for 230V live and neutral, with a centre tap
transformer in the house for the rest, or do they have three wires (115V
live, 230V live and neutral) with the centre-tapping done at the substation
rather than at each house?

Neither. They have two live wires with 240v between them and a centre
tap is is used for neutral. So either (usually both but in different
rooms) live wire can be used with the neutral to provide a 120v supply
with one side near earth potential. When 230V is required the two live
leads are used, usually to a wired connection or a special socket.

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Stephen Watkin" wrote in message
news On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 20:34:08 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

NY wrote
Steven Watkins wrote

No, we used to have those things in the UK. Then we got electric
showers
for more pressure.

I've never understood why people have electric showers if they have a
hot
water system at mains pressure

Me neither, abortion of a system, particularly now its so
cheap to insulate the tank so it doesn't lose much heat.

Because a lot of folk only switch on the tank when they know they're
going
to need it, which means planning your shower.

I don't believe that a lot are actually that stupid.

Most are like that in fact.

Don't believe it.

Maybe the Scots like to save money.

Probably because the tank doesn't stay hot and wastes fuel.

Trivial to insulate fully.

No insulation is anywhere near perfect.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 22:42:18 -0000, Roger Hayter wrote:

NY wrote:

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
[...]

Makes things a bit harder when you have to work out which live you have when wiring!
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Not here they don't, we do ours properly.

big explosion in everyone's house.

And neither does that. We do occasionally see a branch
come down across the line so that you end up with 11KV
on one of the 240V lines, but it isnt there for long, the
breaker on the 11KV line trips very quickly.

Before your 240V devices get 11kV through them and blow them up?

Nope, they usually do get fried in that situation.

We have seen one pole come down in the mini tornado
that brought down lots of trees but while that did see no
power for a while, no other electrical problem.

that. With a ****ing great transformer on a pair of poles round the
corner.
https://goo.gl/maps/HBGpn9owTvs

I had one of those where I used to live, but the HV was underground, and
so was the 240V, except to older houses which were there before they
installed it. Those had an overhead cable to them. My neighbour's roof
caught fire when his became detached from the eaves and shorted in his
attic, setting fire to the wood frame. He now has an underground cable.

The next subdivision over has underground power and transformers bigger
than a van but not as tall sitting on the ground.
https://goo.gl/maps/oU7Fc3TEL762

Ours tend to be a little more open than that but fenced in.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

NY wrote
Rod Speed wrote

But they have 115 and 230V in the same house.
It's a centre tapped 230V. Bit of a ****ing mess,
but thy can get a decent voltage when needed.

Not practical to do electric showers that way.

That's also the reason they don't use electric jugs
either, not practical to run them on 230V.

Why not?

They don't in fact have 230V GPOs in the kitchen
you can plug the kettle into. What 230V appliances
they do have are mostly hard wired with stuff like
driers in the laundry etc.

Which is bloody stupid, not having 240V sockets around.

They're lucky they don't still use DC, as promoted by Edison. "AC will
kill you!"

They are quite a backward community.

How odd that the invented what you are using.

And smoking your wacky weed too.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

You admitted they do below!

big explosion in everyone's house.

And neither does that. We do occasionally see a branch
come down across the line so that you end up with 11KV
on one of the 240V lines, but it isnt there for long, the
breaker on the 11KV line trips very quickly.

Before your 240V devices get 11kV through them and blow them up?

Nope, they usually do get fried in that situation.

Doesn't happen here because we're not stupid enough to put 11000V next to 240V.

We have seen one pole come down in the mini tornado
that brought down lots of trees but while that did see no
power for a while, no other electrical problem.

that. With a ****ing great transformer on a pair of poles round the
corner.
https://goo.gl/maps/HBGpn9owTvs

I had one of those where I used to live, but the HV was underground, and
so was the 240V, except to older houses which were there before they
installed it. Those had an overhead cable to them. My neighbour's roof
caught fire when his became detached from the eaves and shorted in his
attic, setting fire to the wood frame. He now has an underground cable.

The next subdivision over has underground power and transformers bigger
than a van but not as tall sitting on the ground.
https://goo.gl/maps/oU7Fc3TEL762

Ours tend to be a little more open than that but fenced in.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

NY wrote
Rod Speed wrote

But they have 115 and 230V in the same house.
It's a centre tapped 230V. Bit of a ****ing mess,
but thy can get a decent voltage when needed.

Not practical to do electric showers that way.

That's also the reason they don't use electric jugs
either, not practical to run them on 230V.

Why not?

They don't in fact have 230V GPOs in the kitchen
you can plug the kettle into. What 230V appliances
they do have are mostly hard wired with stuff like
driers in the laundry etc.

Which is bloody stupid, not having 240V sockets around.

They're lucky they don't still use DC, as promoted by Edison. "AC will
kill you!"

They are quite a backward community.

How odd that the invented what you are using.

Most things were invented in Scotland.

And smoking your wacky weed too.

Wasn't that Columbia?
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Stephen Watkin" wrote in message
news On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 20:34:08 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

NY wrote
Steven Watkins wrote

No, we used to have those things in the UK. Then we got electric
showers
for more pressure.

I've never understood why people have electric showers if they have
hot
water system at mains pressure

Me neither, abortion of a system, particularly now its so
cheap to insulate the tank so it doesn't lose much heat.

Because a lot of folk only switch on the tank when they know they're
going
to need it, which means planning your shower.

I don't believe that a lot are actually that stupid.

Most are like that in fact.

Don't believe it.

Maybe the Scots like to save money.

Don't believe that.

Probably because the tank doesn't stay hot and wastes fuel.

Trivial to insulate fully.

No insulation is anywhere near perfect.

Doesn't need to be.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 09:30:34 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

FLUSH another 117 lines of the idiotic trolls' stinking troll ****

--
Another typical retarded conversation between out two village idiots,
Birdbrain and Rot Speed:

Birdbrain: "You beat me to it. Plain sex is boring."

Senile Rot: "Then **** the cats. That wont be boring."

Birdbrain: "Sell me a de-clawing tool first."

Senile Rot: "Wont help with the teeth."

Birdbrain: "They've never gone for me with their mouths."

Rot Speed: "They will if you are stupid enough to try ****ing them."

Birdbrain: "No, they always use claws."

Rot Speed: "They wont if you try ****ing them. Try it and see."

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Senile IDIOT Alert!

On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 22:37:54 +0000, Max Demian, an especially brain damaged,
senile idiot, blathered again:

Which is bloody stupid, not having 240V sockets around.

They're lucky they don't still use DC, as promoted by Edison. "AC will
kill you!"

Nope, but the troll is lucky he found so many senile idiots that just LOVE
sucking his unwashed cock!
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 09:35:09 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Trivial

That word describes you two blithering morons to a T! BG

little ignorant ****."
MID:

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Stephen Watkin" wrote in message
news On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 20:34:08 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

NY wrote
Steven Watkins wrote

No, we used to have those things in the UK. Then we got electric
showers
for more pressure.

I've never understood why people have electric showers if they have
hot
water system at mains pressure

Me neither, abortion of a system, particularly now its so
cheap to insulate the tank so it doesn't lose much heat.

Because a lot of folk only switch on the tank when they know they're
going
to need it, which means planning your shower.

I don't believe that a lot are actually that stupid.

Most are like that in fact.

Don't believe it.

Maybe the Scots like to save money.

Don't believe that.

You don't believe the Scots are skinflints? We're famous for it.

There's a saying that goes something like a Scotsman is in practise to become a Jew.

Probably because the tank doesn't stay hot and wastes fuel.

Trivial to insulate fully.

No insulation is anywhere near perfect.

Doesn't need to be.

Does, or the boiler keeps coming on when you're not having a shower. Fine in winter as it just heats the house. Otherwise, a waste.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 10:05:39 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

FLUSH another 137 of absolutely idiot, sick troll ****

--
Another typical retarded conversation between our two village idiots,
Birdbrain and Rot Speed:

Birdbrain: "You beat me to it. Plain sex is boring."

Senile Rot: "Then **** the cats. That wont be boring."

Birdbrain: "Sell me a de-clawing tool first."

Senile Rot: "Wont help with the teeth."

Birdbrain: "They've never gone for me with their mouths."

Rot Speed: "They will if you are stupid enough to try ****ing them."

Birdbrain: "No, they always use claws."

Rot Speed: "They wont if you try ****ing them. Try it and see."

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 10:06:42 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

They are quite a backward community.

How odd that the invented what you are using.

And smoking your wacky weed too.

Says the senile wacko who ADORES American monopolists like M$, Google and
Apple! VBG

--
Bill Wright to Rot Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 10:15:20 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

FLUSH another 85 lines of sick absolutely idiotic troll **** unread

--
Another typical retarded "conversation" between Birdbrain and senile Rot:

Senile Rot: " Did you ever dig a hole to bury your own ****?"

Birdbrain: "I do if there's no flush toilet around."

Senile Rot: "Yeah, I prefer camping like that, off by myself with
no dunnys around and have always buried the ****."

MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 19:35:19 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

"Steven Watkins" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 19:05:14 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Steven Watkins" wrote in message
news On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 02:39:46 -0000, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 10 Nov 2018 16:09:02 -0000, "Steven
Watkins"
wrote:

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 15:59:17 -0000, trader_4
wrote:

On Saturday, November 10, 2018 at 10:33:19 AM UTC-5, Steven Watkins
wrote:
Why do houses have a switch to turn the shower off, either a cord on
the ceiling or a switch in the hall?

Why would anyone have a shower activated with a switch? I've lived
in
many places, traveled to many countries. Some showers have lights
that are
on switches, but not the shower itself. The only place I saw such a
shower
was on my boat and it's a 12V pump.

Don't tell me you still use the kind you shove on the bath tap? We
have
electric showers in the UK now.

You could probably find one of those on ebay but I haven't seen any for
30 years.

In the USA there are showers and in most bathtubs one has the choice
between a bath and a shower. There used to be two sets of handles but
now everyplace has one set, hot and cold, and a diverter valve to
choose
between the bath tap and the shower. Everything else is in the wall.

What's an electric shower?

Something more advanced than just diverting some plumbing.

More primitive, actually.

No,

Yep.

we used to have those things in the UK.

You still do with anyone with even half a clue.

I was thinking of folk who shoved a rubber hose onto the bath tap.

Then we got electric showers for more pressure.

Even sillier and more pig ignorant than you usually
manage with mains pressure storage hot water services.

Which we never used to have. Everyone in the UK had a hot water cylinder with pressure made from a cold tank in the attic. Not sure why it was so difficult just to connect the mains water straight to the inlet of the tank.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 11 Nov 2018 22:02:23 -0000, "Stephen Watkin"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

No pole pigs anymore?

They still have transformers on poles but I don't think they ever had
one per house, except maybe if there was only one house in the area (I
don't know how big the area or distance has to be. one or two km?)

I live in a rowhouse with 8 houses in the same building, and there is a
transformer at the end of the building for all us. It burned out once,
but I've been here 35 years. And during electrical storms power goes
out once or twice a year**, usually for only a second, but one time in
the winter for 4 days. I was warm enough for 3.5 days but was just
starting to look for a friend to stay at when the power went back on.
My friends didn't have electricity either. **Here they have a very
aggressive policy of trimming trees next to the street to keep their
limbs 2 feet from power lines, and apparently that has lessened the
number of power failures. At least I hope so since it makes some of the
trees ugly.

Just last week they dropped off 5 bundles, about 20 each, of about 3
inch, 20 foot long black plastic piping. I guess that's 2000 feet, that
the delivery man said was to upgrade the electric. Built in 1978 we
already have underground wiring but the nearby old main street and some
side streets don't. Maybe their just storing the stuff here for use
there. Plus 4 or 5 2-meter square boxes, for underground something or
other.

They do have on-demand hot water, on 110V, but it's not used that much,
more for people who don't want to wait for the hot water to come a long
way from the water heater, and it's used at sinks only afa I've heard.
Maybe they can't put out enough for a shower, or maybe people don't get
impatient for the shower water to turn hot.

There are many designs of plugs but I think only 1 or 2 are allowed to
be used in residences, one for dryers and one for stoves, or maybe
they're the same. For some reason I think they're different.

There are hot water urns that hold a gallon or two of water and keep it
hot enough to make tea or coffee that run on 110, and I think you can
get a smaller one, a kettle?, in a few places that cater to immigrants,
but my mother always heated water for things with a kettle on the gas
stove, or electric stove but she liked gas better.) Now I think people
would sooner use a microwave than run 220 volts to the kitchen.

The stove and dryer never get unplugged and you can't even see the
outlets but an empty 220V socket would be dangerous for little chidren.
30 years ago or so they came out with plastic covers that stick in the
110volt outlets, but we didn't have those when I was little. I don't
remember ever sticking anything in an outlet, but of course I had my
bachelors in electrical engineering when I was 5 and my Ph.D. when I was
8. So I knew it was dangerous when I was 2.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

NY wrote:

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
[...]

Definitely a problem for rank amateurs but I did some reading before I
started and I have a voltmeter.

If the house is wired right, the receptacles will be on one circuit and
the ceiling lights will be on another, so if one fuse blows, you still
can have light, but in my house, only the kitchen had a ceiling light.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 10 Nov 2018 21:39:46 -0500, micky
wrote:

Don't tell me you still use the kind you shove on the bath tap? We have electric showers in the UK now.

You could probably find one of those on ebay but I haven't seen any for
30 years.

I was referring to the rubber hoses with a cone at the end meant for
shoving onto the tap. I would hunt to see if they are still for sale
but I don't know what they are called. They would still be useful for
washing a dog in the bathtub.

They have permanently attached hand-held sprayers with metal hoses that
some people must like for some reason, maybe women so they can avoid
getting their hair wet, but I think they are inconvenient.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 19:09:24 -0500, micky, another braindead, troll-feeding,
senile Yankietard, blathered again:

They still have

FLUSH another load of the typical lenghty senile blather

Yet another senile Yankietard who is THANKFUL that the dumbest troll around
engages him in a "discussion"! BG
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 19:14:58 -0500, micky, another braindead, troll-feeding,
senile Yankietard, blathered again:

Definitely a problem for rank amateurs but I did some reading before I
started and I have a voltmeter.

If the house is wired right, the receptacles will be on one circuit and
the ceiling lights will be on another, so if one fuse blows, you still
can have light, but in my house, only the kitchen had a ceiling light.

Darn, another senile Yankietard whose senile gob can't be weaned away from
the unwashed Scottish ******'s cock! LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Stephen Watkin" wrote in message
news On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 21:19:41 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Stephen Watkin" wrote in
message

wrote:

[...]

Nope, that's the power pole falling over.

big explosion in everyone's house.

And neither does that. We do occasionally see a branch
come down across the line so that you end up with 11KV
on one of the 240V lines, but it isnt there for long, the
breaker on the 11KV line trips very quickly.

Before your 240V devices get 11kV through them and blow them up?

Nope, they usually do get fried in that situation.

Doesn't happen here because we're not stupid enough to put 11000V next to
240V.

Yes you do.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

NY wrote
Rod Speed wrote

But they have 115 and 230V in the same house.
It's a centre tapped 230V. Bit of a ****ing mess,
but thy can get a decent voltage when needed.

Not practical to do electric showers that way.

That's also the reason they don't use electric jugs
either, not practical to run them on 230V.

Why not?

They don't in fact have 230V GPOs in the kitchen
you can plug the kettle into. What 230V appliances
they do have are mostly hard wired with stuff like
driers in the laundry etc.

Which is bloody stupid, not having 240V sockets around.

They're lucky they don't still use DC, as promoted by Edison. "AC will
kill you!"

They are quite a backward community.

How odd that they invented what you are using.

Most things were invented in Scotland.

BULL****. The steam engine wasn't, cars weren't,
computers weren't, aircraft weren't, trains weren't.

And smoking your wacky weed too.

Wasn't that Columbia?

Nope.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 10 Nov 2018 23:29:28 -0000, "Steven Watkins"
wrote:

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 22:44:26 -0000, wrote:

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 19:05:05 -0000, "Steven Watkins"
wrote:

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 18:58:22 -0000, wrote:

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 17:02:17 -0000, "Steven Watkins"
wrote:

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 16:52:04 -0000, wrote:

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 16:26:12 -0000, "Steven Watkins"
wrote:

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 16:19:15 -0000, wrote:

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 15:33:18 -0000, "Steven Watkins"
wrote:

Why do houses have a switch to turn the shower off, either a cord on the ceiling or a switch in the hall?

Can't be for safety - if you're in the shower and get a shock, if you've managed to get out to reach the switch, you've got away from it anyway.

Can't be to isolate to work on it, there's a fusebox for that.

Don't need to turn it off when you're finished showering, there's a switch on the shower itself.

What is "electric" in the shower in the first place?

The heating element, and in low water pressure areas, possibly a pump.

Strange. We just have central water heaters and pressurized plumbing.
The water heater is required to be bonded and there is enough metal
surface area to bond the water.

We tend to have gas powered boilers that heat the water for sinks and the radiators. But for some reason not the shower - no idea why as they're a similar power rating.

No switching devices or receptacles are allowed in the shower space
and any lights are required to be 8 feet up with a water resistant
"shower trim".

When was the last time a policeman inspected this?

Typically when the house was built or remodeled.

You invite someone in to admire your remodelling?! Do you inform someone to check if you've fitted a new lightbulb correctly aswell?

I don't but when you hire someone, it is usually a good idea to have
it inspected. There are plenty of shady contractors out there.

Why are you in this group if you hire people?

He's slumming.

Actually he means that he does it himself, doesn't bother to get a
permit, and so there is no one asking to inspect after the work is done.
At least I think that's what he means.

Most of us tend to do stuff ourselves. Cheaper, fun, and you get it done the way you want.

Anyway, if I hired someone, I don't care if it meets silly little rules, I just want it to work.

Until it burns down. Those rules are there for a reason. Like traffic
stop lights, most aren't put in until someone dies for lack of the rule

As to building inspectors, when they built the first 16 of the
townhouses here, they didn't extend the wall to the roof. It was one
big attic.

This means a thief can go up from his place to the attic and then down
into any of the other homes in his building. But the bigger problem is
that fires will spread from one home to all the others.

There are no stairs to the attic, only trap doors, but eventually
someone went up there and saw that the builder had violated the building
code. He called the building department which forced the builder to
finish the walls. Must have been a lot harder when the houses were full
of walls, furniture, and people, but serves him right.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 11:35:55 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Most things were invented in Scotland.

BULL****.

TROLL****!

little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Stephen Watkin" wrote in message
news On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 20:59:18 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Stephen Watkin" wrote in
message
news On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 20:34:08 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

NY wrote
Steven Watkins wrote

No, we used to have those things in the UK. Then we got electric
showers
for more pressure.

I've never understood why people have electric showers if they
have
hot
water system at mains pressure

Me neither, abortion of a system, particularly now its so
cheap to insulate the tank so it doesn't lose much heat.

Because a lot of folk only switch on the tank when they know they're
going
to need it, which means planning your shower.

I don't believe that a lot are actually that stupid.

Most are like that in fact.

Don't believe it.

Maybe the Scots like to save money.

Don't believe that.

You don't believe the Scots are skinflints? We're famous for it.

That was a joke, Joyce.

There's a saying that goes something like a Scotsman is in practise to
become a Jew.

By hacking the end off their dick with a claymore eh ? Yeah, right.

Probably because the tank doesn't stay hot and wastes fuel.

Trivial to insulate fully.

No insulation is anywhere near perfect.

Doesn't need to be.

Does, or the boiler keeps coming on when you're not having a shower.

Only a fool uses a boiler to heat the water in a storage hot water cylinder.

[...]

:-(

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

They never did that.

Then we got electric showers for more pressure.

Even sillier and more pig ignorant than you usually
manage with mains pressure storage hot water services.

Which we never used to have.

Yes, you lot were that primitive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 11/11/2018 20:30, Steven Watkins wrote:
On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 19:29:27 -0000, ARW
wrote:

On 10/11/2018 22:13, NY wrote:
"Steven Watkins" wrote in message
news
And you could have just used the fuse/circuit breaker in the consumer
unit for that.

About the only advantage of a fuse over a circuit breaker is that you
can physically remove a fuse and keep it with you while you are working
on the appliance, safe in the knowledge that almost certainly no power
can be restored. A circuit breaker can be restored to the on position by
someone who doesn't know that it is off for a reason.

That is why you are supposed to use a lock off kit.

Or just hang a note on it saying "electrician at work, please leave off".

In ten languages.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 05:57:22 +0000, Bill Wright, yet another braindamaged,
troll-feeding senile idiot, blathered:

That is why you are supposed to use a lock off kit.

Or just hang a note on it saying "electrician at work, please leave off".

In ten languages.

Bill

Yeah, that Scottish ****** certainly has managed to dumb all you senile
idiots quickly down to his level! LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 11:49:50 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

I was thinking of folk who shoved a rubber hose onto the bath tap.

They never did that.

Didn't they? BG

Which we never used to have.

Yes, you lot were that primitive.

Were they? BG

--
Senile Rot about himself:
"I was involved in the design of a computer OS"
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 19:41:13 -0500, micky, another braindead, troll-feeding,
senile Yankietard, blathered again:

Why are you in this group if you hire people?

He's slumming.

He's sucking troll cock, just like you are doing!