Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Stephen Watkin Stephen Watkin is offline

Default Purpose of shower switch

On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 19:35:19 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

"Steven Watkins" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 19:05:14 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Steven Watkins" wrote in message
news On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 02:39:46 -0000, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 10 Nov 2018 16:09:02 -0000, "Steven
Watkins"
wrote:

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 15:59:17 -0000, trader_4
wrote:

On Saturday, November 10, 2018 at 10:33:19 AM UTC-5, Steven Watkins
wrote:
Why do houses have a switch to turn the shower off, either a cord on
the ceiling or a switch in the hall?

Why would anyone have a shower activated with a switch? I've lived
in
many places, traveled to many countries. Some showers have lights
that are
on switches, but not the shower itself. The only place I saw such a
shower
was on my boat and it's a 12V pump.

Don't tell me you still use the kind you shove on the bath tap? We
have
electric showers in the UK now.

You could probably find one of those on ebay but I haven't seen any for
30 years.

In the USA there are showers and in most bathtubs one has the choice
between a bath and a shower. There used to be two sets of handles but
now everyplace has one set, hot and cold, and a diverter valve to
choose
between the bath tap and the shower. Everything else is in the wall.

What's an electric shower?

Something more advanced than just diverting some plumbing.

More primitive, actually.

No,

Yep.

we used to have those things in the UK.

You still do with anyone with even half a clue.

I was thinking of folk who shoved a rubber hose onto the bath tap.

Then we got electric showers for more pressure.

Even sillier and more pig ignorant than you usually
manage with mains pressure storage hot water services.

Which we never used to have. Everyone in the UK had a hot water cylinder with pressure made from a cold tank in the attic. Not sure why it was so difficult just to connect the mains water straight to the inlet of the tank.