Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A Bag of Charcoal

On Sat, 01 Jul 2017 18:08:40 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

On Sat 01 Jul 2017 10:50:03a, Frank told us...

On Sat 01 Jul 2017 05:45:29a, Ed Pawlowski told us...

On 7/1/2017 8:15 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Friday, June 30, 2017 at 4:42:02 PM UTC-4, Wade Garrett
wrote:
On 6/30/17 4:22 PM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 30 Jun 2017 11:54:48 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

After recently attending the retirement ceremony for my
rusted-out and falling-apart ancient propane gas barbecue
grill, I replaced it with my first charcoal grill in 22
years. Getting ready for the Fourth you know.

But when buying my first bag of charcoal in these same 22
years, I find that my former favorite fuel- a 20 pound bag
of Kingsford Briquets- now weighs only 18.6 pounds.

Guess I shouldn't be too surprised as a five pound bag of
sugar now weighs four pounds, a pound-bag of ground coffee
contains but 11.5 ounces and most horridly, a half-gallon
bottle of Scotch now is only 1.75 liters.

Milk and gas are next, I guess......

Buy the longer burning charcoal, use less, attain higher heat
temps. It doesn't take much charcoal to cook a steak, ribs,
prime rib beef or a 7 lb. pork butt.

We don't know your grill or how you tuned it for a long -
overnight cooks or if the bag is lump charcoal.

An OZ of pot costs more than it did in the 60's :-)

It seems you've missed my point which is sellers have reduced
long-standing and familiar standard package sizes in lieu of
raising prices ;-)

Sure, why not? They want to sell stuff, but their costs have
increased, and they know that people would squawk if prices
increased. It's capitalism in action.

Cindy Hamilton

Sure, but for 200 years rhey just increased the price. Now they
try to deceive.

There's no deception. Read the label. The weight or volume of
the contents is always displayed.

Based on your current observation of diminishing sizes,
apparently you haven't been aware of much of anything in the past
22 years.

There is a certain amount of deception as I pointed out when they
put 4 gallons of propane in a 5 gallon tank and tell you the tank
contains 16 lbs. Not too many people know the weight of a gallon
of propane.

Its somewhat deceptive too with other products like coffee in the
same size can but ground to take more space. If you don't read
labels and are familiar with weights and measures you probably
miss what they are doing.

I'm all in favor of free market capitalism but bothered that
people are ignorant of such things. Competition is better and
prices go down with an informed consumer.

If you don't read the labels, then you are the fool.

As to propane, I know what my empty tank weights. Besides that,
where I have my tanks filled they do not charge a set price for a
tank full. My empty tank is placed on the scale and stays there
until it has been filled. They charge by the weight shown of their
scale. I do geet what I pay for. If your tank isn't being filled
properly then maybe you should buy it elsewhere.

There's nothing decepetive about it. The only problem arises with
higher prices, and I suspect that will always be true and on the
increase.

+1

Wayne, you do understand your propane! A 20 lbs. tank should weight
37 lbs. when full and should contain approximately 4.7 gallons of
propane.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/1/2017 10:49 AM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 30 Jun 2017 22:07:03 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 6/30/2017 4:41 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:

It seems you've missed my point which is sellers have reduced
long-standing and familiar standard package sizes in lieu of raising
prices ;-)

It has been rampant the past 10 years or so. A half gallon of ice cream
is 1.5 quarts and a quart of may is 30 ounces. IMO, it is just a slezy
wzy to slip in a price increase

Where can you buy a pound of bacon these days, eh?

Plenty of 2 pounds still around. Check Wrights at WalMart. Good stuff,
thicker than most too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

It seems you've missed my point which is sellers have reduced
long-standing and familiar standard package sizes in lieu of
raising prices ;-)

Sure, why not? They want to sell stuff, but their costs have
increased, and they know that people would squawk if prices
increased. It's capitalism in action.

Cindy Hamilton

Sure, but for 200 years they just increased the price. Now they
try to deceive.

There's no deception. Read the label. The weight or volume of the
contents is always displayed.

Based on your current observation of diminishing sizes, apparently
you haven't been aware of much of anything in the past 22 years.

You don't think it is a marketing tool to deceive? Sure, I can red the
labels but many people don't and the purpose is deception. I bet 70% of
the shoppers have no idea that a quart of mayo is no longer a quart. Do
you read every label of every item you buy every time?
Posted to alt.home.repair

There is a certain amount of deception as I pointed out when they
put 4 gallons of propane in a 5 gallon tank and tell you the tank
contains 16 lbs. Not too many people know the weight of a gallon
of propane.

As to propane, I know what my empty tank weights. Besides that,
where I have my tanks filled they do not charge a set price for a
tank full. My empty tank is placed on the scale and stays there
until it has been filled. They charge by the weight shown of their
scale. I do geet what I pay for. If your tank isn't being filled
properly then maybe you should buy it elsewhere.

There's nothing decepetive about it. The only problem arises with
higher prices, and I suspect that will always be true and on the
increase.

Why do they do that? Because a lot pf people finally complained. Take
a tank that was not quite empty and most dealers charged the same flat
price. They also put less in a tank now with the OPD valves because if
it was truly filled you'd not get the gas out of it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/1/2017 2:56 PM, RonNNN wrote:

I have my tanks filled at Ace Hardware for a flat $14.99. They put it on
a scale that tells them when the weight is right, but there is also a
gauge that you can watch to see exactly how many gallons they put in. I
suppose if you took in a partly filled tank you'd end up on the losing
side, but I only fill completely empty tanks, and they put the full 5
gallons in.

Some states are making the flat price illegal for that reason.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 07/01/2017 1:59 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

I don't bleat merrily. I pay attention when I'm shopping. If I see
the size has decreased I say, "Either they had to increase prices or
decrease quantity. It's the same result in the end."

But the one is much more devious than being up front with the price
increase. I suspect there was quite a lot of research done on
perception and how to increase profit at minimal disturbance of the
customer prior to the introduction of the rampant size reductions in
virtually all products.

Even the 20-lb cat food was turned into 18-lb bag, _plus_ they raised
the price. The 40-lb'ers are still 40-lb and the same price as they
were before the raise on the 18's for the same product so it isn't that
they "had" to raise price; just saw and took the opportunity to increase
profit margin for what is, I'm sure, the far more commonly purchased
quantity.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 1 Jul 2017 10:42:58 -0600, rbowman wrote:

Where can you buy a pound of bacon these days, eh?

Several of the local markets. They throw strips from the meat cooler on
the scale until it says a pound, more or less. Then they ask you if the
weight is good.

Oh, you meant those shrink wrapped 11 oz packages of lard artistically
arranged to display the few streaks of meat.

Thick bacon might give eight pieces. !6 cut will be thinner.

-- put bacon on your bacon !
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 1 Jul 2017 14:21:18 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

I bet those Blue Rino tanks that you trade in your empty for the full
ones are by some other method.

I took Blue Rino tanks to the U-haul place. They filled it with good
stuff to cook with.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

I bet those Blue Rino tanks that you trade in your empty for the full
ones are by some other method. YOu think you get a full tank, but they
only fill it part of the way even counting on that required 'gas space'.
I bet many think the tank is totally full of the propane, or should be.

They have to stop filling when the OPD device shuts off, but that's more
than 15 pounds. The Blue Rhino tank I got filled held 19 pounds. A new
tank I bought at the same time (not from an exchange place) held 20
pounds. The price of the fill was about the same as a Blue Rhino
exchange, but I mot more propane for that.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will
fall by the hands of the clergy." [General Marquis De Lafayette (1789)]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat 01 Jul 2017 03:30:47p, Frank told us...

On 7/1/2017 2:21 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

If you don't read the labels, then you are the fool.

As to propane, I know what my empty tank weights. Besides that,
where I have my tanks filled they do not charge a set price for
a tank full. My empty tank is placed on the scale and stays
there until it has been filled. They charge by the weight shown
of their scale. I do geet what I pay for. If your tank isn't
being filled properly then maybe you should buy it elsewhere.

There's nothing decepetive about it. The only problem arises
with higher prices, and I suspect that will always be true and
on the increase.

That is the way I have had my tank filled. Pay by weight of the
propane.

I bet those Blue Rino tanks that you trade in your empty for the
full ones are by some other method. YOu think you get a full
tank, but they only fill it part of the way even counting on that
required 'gas space'. I bet many think the tank is totally full
of the propane, or should be.

Yup. I put up with it because of the convenience. I don't grill
that much and a tank lasts all season and I always have a spare
full tank. Bought one the other day but also told the clerk that
the Blue Rino people were crooks.

When we moved to our co-op we bought 3 brand new empty tanks. We had
them all purged, then filled. The place we go to fills by weight, so
I know we always get full tanks. We use one in our grill, one in a
patio heater, and one for a spare. I hate to run out in the middle
of whatever we're doing, grilling or heating.

I have always been skiptical about the Blue Rino tanks because even
though they may look like new tanks, they often repaint them in their
refurbishing process, and you don't know what age they are. Old
tanks can have inherent flaws or dangers.

That's the reason I started swapping. My old tanks were becoming unsafe
looking.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/01/2017 11:01 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Sat 01 Jul 2017 09:38:31a, rbowman told us...

On 07/01/2017 06:16 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Friday, June 30, 2017 at 9:49:26 PM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:
On 06/30/2017 11:04 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
Funny, my 5-pound bag of sugar is still 5 pounds (4 pound bags
are also available), and a 1-pound bag of coffee is still 1
pound. I've seen smaller bags in the grocery store, but I
generally go right to the roaster for coffee.

I don't recall seeing 5 lb bags of sugar where I shop for either
the name brands or the generics; they are all 4 lbs. I buy beans
so a pound of beans is a pound. Some 3 lb cans of ground coffee
have 3 lbs. I used to buy MJB. I have some old cans I use for
cereal storage that are marked 39 ounces. The latest offerings
are 33.9. There was one brand that advertised that although it
was only 33 ounces it made as much coffee as 48 ounces used to.
Less is more. Orwell would be pleased.

Perhaps your grocery store feels it isn't worth stocking 5-pound
bags of sugar. Perhaps they discovered the uncritical customers
grabbed the 4-pound bag at a lower price and left the more
expensive 5-pound bag on the shelf.

It's the free market, man.

Ain't it great. Free market, free trade, globalism... And the
sheep bleat merrily.

I'm actually glad I'm not just starting out in life. I hate to think
of what the next 70 odd years will bring with it, if not world
destruction.

Hopefully humans can avoid the self-destruct switch but I believe the
deck will get shuffled, cut, and reshuffled. The Band-Aid box is empty
and too much isn't working.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/01/2017 12:59 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
I don't bleat merrily. I pay attention when I'm shopping. If I see
the size has decreased I say, "Either they had to increase prices or
decrease quantity. It's the same result in the end."

Ever ask yourself why they 'had to'? Ever ask yourself where the extra
money goes when it leaves your purse?
Posted to alt.home.repair

As to propane, I know what my empty tank weights. Besides that,
where I have my tanks filled they do not charge a set price for a
tank full. My empty tank is placed on the scale and stays there
until it has been filled. They charge by the weight shown of their
scale. I do geet what I pay for. If your tank isn't being filled
properly then maybe you should buy it elsewhere.

Precisely. If someone wants to do a tank exchange with Blue Rhino or one
of the other operations outside grocery stores because it's convenient,
bend over and grease well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat 01 Jul 2017 12:55:01p, Ed Pawlowski told us...

On 7/1/2017 2:56 PM, RonNNN wrote:

I have my tanks filled at Ace Hardware for a flat $14.99. They
put it on a scale that tells them when the weight is right, but
there is also a gauge that you can watch to see exactly how many
gallons they put in. I suppose if you took in a partly filled
tank you'd end up on the losing side, but I only fill completely
empty tanks, and they put the full 5 gallons in.

Some states are making the flat price illegal for that reason.

Perhaps because they realize the public is being cheated.

Even if you get the full 5 gallons, propane hasn't been $3 a gallon for
a long time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/01/2017 04:30 PM, Frank wrote:
Yup. I put up with it because of the convenience. I don't grill that
much and a tank lasts all season and I always have a spare full tank.
Bought one the other day but also told the clerk that the Blue Rino
people were crooks.

They might be tacitly misrepresenting the amount of propane you're
getting but you just nailed it. It's convenient and you're paying for
convenience. Been in a convenience store lately?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/01/2017 01:03 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
The consumer should inform himself, rather than just unthinkingly tossing
the product into his shopping cart.

If you haven't noticed the consumer rarely informs herself about
anything. (just being gender inclusive like a good little SJW)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/1/17 7:15 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Sure, why not? They want to sell stuff, but their costs have increased,
and they know that people would squawk if prices increased. It's
capitalism in action.

Cindy Hamilton

There must be some way to blame the metric system.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

[...]

The age of the tanks are stamped on the collar on the top of the tank.

--
RonNNN
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/1/2017 9:59 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 7/1/17 8:16 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
[...]

Yeah, well the problem is those very same shoppers also vote and serve
on juries...

At least with juries, they can be removed, but they still get to vote.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat 01 Jul 2017 05:08:19p, Frank told us...

[...]

the full ones are by some other method. YOu think you get a
[...]

Precisely the reason I bought new tanks. You can't be sure of the
age of the Blue Rino tanks. There might be a manufacturing date on
the tanks, but I'm not sure.

I thought you read labels. The date is stamped on the collar and it is
good for 12 years. It can be re-certified but I don't know of any place
that does it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat 01 Jul 2017 06:00:27p, rbowman told us...

On 07/01/2017 12:59 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
I don't bleat merrily. I pay attention when I'm shopping. If I
see the size has decreased I say, "Either they had to increase
prices or decrease quantity. It's the same result in the end."

Ever ask yourself why they 'had to'? Ever ask yourself where the
extra money goes when it leaves your purse?

DOes it really matter? There's precious little I can do about it.
What I do watch very carefully is my budget.

I'm just an observer wondering if the masses are readying the
pitchforks. If so, I pop up a batch of corn and watch the show.
Posted to alt.home.repair

What bothers me most is the increasing amount of packaging per serving. With less product per package we end up paying more for packaging and more of it ends up in landfill.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/1/2017 10:36 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

I would assume that Blue Rino keeps on top of this. Pressure test is
not something a home owner could do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/1/2017 9:11 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 07/01/2017 04:30 PM, Frank wrote:
Yup. I put up with it because of the convenience. I don't grill that
much and a tank lasts all season and I always have a spare full tank.
Bought one the other day but also told the clerk that the Blue Rino
people were crooks.

They might be tacitly misrepresenting the amount of propane you're
getting but you just nailed it. It's convenient and you're paying for
convenience. Been in a convenience store lately?

I guess you could call the gas station where I traded the tank a
convenience store as that is all they deal with - conveniences for
passersby. Last time I traded one it was at Home Depot and recall they
were cheaper but store is 5 miles further from home and there is more
rigamarole to do the trade.

I certainly like to shop wisely but do not want to spend a lot of extra
time to save a few cents.

My wife does all the household shopping. I think for most men that
shopping is a chore and they want to just go in and buy something and
leave. Shopping for women is an adventure in itself and they spend a lot
of time at it and get the best prices.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 1, 2017 at 3:46:38 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

Vendors have provided short weight for centuries. There were fines
and other penalties for selling short weight bread, or for a miller
who returned less flour than he was given grain to grind.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/1/17 2:46 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

You don't think it is a marketing tool to deceive? Sure, I can red the
labels but many people don't and the purpose is deception. I bet 70% of
the shoppers have no idea that a quart of mayo is no longer a quart. Do
you read every label of every item you buy every time?

Didn't the term baker's dozen (13) originate because of
something similar?
Twelve of whatever were supposed to weigh X. Bakers added an extra one
to make
sure their product equaled that weight.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 1, 2017 at 8:58:18 PM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:
On 07/01/2017 12:59 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
I don't bleat merrily. I pay attention when I'm shopping. If I see
the size has decreased I say, "Either they had to increase prices or
decrease quantity. It's the same result in the end."

Ever ask yourself why they 'had to'? Ever ask yourself where the extra
money goes when it leaves your purse?

Sure. A lot of it goes to increased costs in materials, energy, and labor.

I don't make the same amount of money that I did 20 years ago, and I don't
pay the same for a pound of beef that I did 20 years ago.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 1, 2017 at 9:12:57 PM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:
On 07/01/2017 01:03 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
The consumer should inform himself, rather than just unthinkingly tossing
the product into his shopping cart.

If you haven't noticed the consumer rarely informs herself about
anything. (just being gender inclusive like a good little SJW)

No problem. I'm a little traditional in my use of "he/him/himself"
for the general case. When I was a young feminist, I tied my
writing in knots to be gender-neutral. Forty years later, I just
don't bother.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/2/2017 8:27 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 7/1/17 6:30 PM, Frank wrote:
On 7/1/2017 2:21 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

Yup. I put up with it because of the convenience. I don't grill that
much and a tank lasts all season and I always have a spare full tank.

Just curious; where do you store the spare tank- inside, outside, shed?

I wonder if different locales have local regulations about storing them...

Most follow NFPA 58 but your local Fire Marshall can make tougher rules.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 02 Jul 2017 01:16:34 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

On Sat 01 Jul 2017 06:05:10p, rbowman told us...

As to propane, I know what my empty tank weights. Besides that,
where I have my tanks filled they do not charge a set price for a
tank full.
My empty tank is placed on the scale and stays there until it
has
been filled. They charge by the weight shown of their scale. I
do geet what I pay for. If your tank isn't being filled properly
then maybe you should buy it elsewhere.

Precisely. If someone wants to do a tank exchange with Blue Rhino
or one of the other operations outside grocery stores because it's
convenient, bend over and grease well.

Exactly. Convenience has a price, and the money goes bleeding out of
their pockets.

.... and that money bleeds back into the pocket of the plumbers,
carpenters, landscapers -- and other pockets.

Right? Folks that are well off in life will need the help from others
and will get up off the money in their pockets.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 1 Jul 2017 11:57:10 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Saturday, July 1, 2017 at 10:50:10 AM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 30 Jun 2017 22:07:03 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 6/30/2017 4:41 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:

It seems you've missed my point which is sellers have reduced
long-standing and familiar standard package sizes in lieu of raising
prices ;-)

It has been rampant the past 10 years or so. A half gallon of ice cream
is 1.5 quarts and a quart of may is 30 ounces. IMO, it is just a slezy
wzy to slip in a price increase

Where can you buy a pound of bacon these days, eh?

At the grocery store. My preferred brand (Nueske's) comes in either
12-ounce or 16-ounce packages, depending where I shop. I don't much
care which I buy, since I don't eat a pound all at once.

Or you can buy it at the service meat counter, or at a butcher shop.

Cindy Hamilton

It was a joke question. Heck, you can make your own bacon. Slice it as
you like.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 1 Jul 2017 15:38:58 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 7/1/2017 10:49 AM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 30 Jun 2017 22:07:03 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 6/30/2017 4:41 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:

It seems you've missed my point which is sellers have reduced
long-standing and familiar standard package sizes in lieu of raising
prices ;-)

It has been rampant the past 10 years or so. A half gallon of ice cream
is 1.5 quarts and a quart of may is 30 ounces. IMO, it is just a slezy
wzy to slip in a price increase

Where can you buy a pound of bacon these days, eh?

Plenty of 2 pounds still around. Check Wrights at WalMart. Good stuff,
thicker than most too.

Be interesting to know if the pork is from Birkshire hogs. The best
pigs brought from England.

When I find the right piece of pork belly, I'll make a slab of it. A
process I found, done right.