Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default A Bag of Charcoal

On 07/01/2017 11:01 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Sat 01 Jul 2017 09:38:31a, rbowman told us...

On 07/01/2017 06:16 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Friday, June 30, 2017 at 9:49:26 PM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:
On 06/30/2017 11:04 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
Funny, my 5-pound bag of sugar is still 5 pounds (4 pound bags
are also available), and a 1-pound bag of coffee is still 1
pound. I've seen smaller bags in the grocery store, but I
generally go right to the roaster for coffee.

I don't recall seeing 5 lb bags of sugar where I shop for either
the name brands or the generics; they are all 4 lbs. I buy beans
so a pound of beans is a pound. Some 3 lb cans of ground coffee
have 3 lbs. I used to buy MJB. I have some old cans I use for
cereal storage that are marked 39 ounces. The latest offerings
are 33.9. There was one brand that advertised that although it
was only 33 ounces it made as much coffee as 48 ounces used to.
Less is more. Orwell would be pleased.

Perhaps your grocery store feels it isn't worth stocking 5-pound
bags of sugar. Perhaps they discovered the uncritical customers
grabbed the 4-pound bag at a lower price and left the more
expensive 5-pound bag on the shelf.

It's the free market, man.

Ain't it great. Free market, free trade, globalism... And the
sheep bleat merrily.

I'm actually glad I'm not just starting out in life. I hate to think
of what the next 70 odd years will bring with it, if not world
destruction.

Hopefully humans can avoid the self-destruct switch but I believe the
deck will get shuffled, cut, and reshuffled. The Band-Aid box is empty
and too much isn't working.