Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default A Bag of Charcoal

On 07/01/2017 1:59 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

I don't bleat merrily. I pay attention when I'm shopping. If I see
the size has decreased I say, "Either they had to increase prices or
decrease quantity. It's the same result in the end."

But the one is much more devious than being up front with the price
increase. I suspect there was quite a lot of research done on
perception and how to increase profit at minimal disturbance of the
customer prior to the introduction of the rampant size reductions in
virtually all products.

Even the 20-lb cat food was turned into 18-lb bag, _plus_ they raised
the price. The 40-lb'ers are still 40-lb and the same price as they
were before the raise on the 18's for the same product so it isn't that
they "had" to raise price; just saw and took the opportunity to increase
profit margin for what is, I'm sure, the far more commonly purchased
quantity.