Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Switchable Wall Outlet

On 23/12/2016 15:07, wrote:
On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 08:10:06 +0000, Bod wrote:

Whoops! here's the link:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mains-Doubl.../dp/B00MY70FMA

What is the one with the 2 round holes

Screw holes for fixing the socket to a patress.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, December 23, 2016 at 11:01:38 AM UTC-5, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 02:19:20 -0000, wrote:

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 23:37:43 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 19:57:23 -0000, Dave C wrote:

I have an AC wall socket, currently controlled by a wall switch. I
would like to change that outlet, so the one of the plugs is always
ON. The other plug would remaqin as is, ergo controlled by the wall
switch. I purchased a prior house with that configuartion for one
socket. Alas I never looked to see how that "split" outlet
configuration was implemented.

Can one inform me, how to make this change? Thanks

What century are you living in? All my sockets have switches on them.

What country is a better question.
The part you are missing is "wall switch". This is a switch near the
door that controls a receptacle somewhere in the room. (for a lamp)
It is not a switch right on the receptacle.

Makes more sense to have the switch no the socket, then it's clear what it's for and where to find it.

Yeah, that works real great for a floor lamp. When you enter the room
in the dark, you can move the sofa, crawl behind it, to turn on the switch
for the floor lamp. Idiot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You have the choice to leave the socket switch in the on position.
Some people like to switch, say, a tv completely off and not to leave it
on standby.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Show me a floor lamp without its own switch.

--
The wife had a birthday and her husband wanted to know what she desired. She said she'd like to have a Jaguar.
He didn't think it was best for her.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I remember when VCRs came out, it took years to convince my dad it was easier to leave the VCR on all night than to reset the ****ing clock every time you wanted to record something!

--
Our records indicate that you were once felt up by Jimmy Savile and could be entitled to £2147 in compensation.
Just reply "Hows about that then" to register, or to opt out just reply "Stop Jimmy Stop".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 18:12:58 -0000, Ralph Mowery wrote:

In article ,
says...

--

I could always add a switch next to an outlet which would be fine for a kitchen counter or workbench. I actually had switches for the outlets on my workbench. The problem here in the States is that most of our electrical outlets are around foot off the floor so bending down to turn something on and off could be difficult especially if the outlet is behind a couch. Back at my home, I have two switches on the

wall inside next to the front door. One is for the porch light and the other controls the outlet under the front window for a lamp so one can turn it on when entering a dark house. The rest of the electrical outlets including those above the kitchen counters are not switched. ?(?)?

One of the outlets in my house is switched on with the wall switch where
you come into the room. The house was built around 1985.

For some reason one of the lights in a room comes on when the switch is
down and off when up. Not sure if it is a 3 way switch that I can't
find another switch for , of if someone just installed it upside down.
Thought about looking and changing it, but just too lazey. That light is
seldom used anyway.

That's the normal way. Down for on, off for up.

--
I used to not get along with my mother-in-law, but over the last few
months, I've developed quite an attachment for her. It goes over her
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 08:10:06 -0000, Bod wrote:

On 23/12/2016 08:08, Bod wrote:
On 23/12/2016 04:24, wrote:
On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 21:53:36 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

On 12/22/2016 09:27 PM,
wrote:

I have an AC wall socket, currently controlled by a wall switch. I
would like to change that outlet, so the one of the plugs is always
ON. The other plug would remaqin as is, ergo controlled by the wall
switch. I purchased a prior house with that configuartion for one
socket. Alas I never looked to see how that "split" outlet
configuration was implemented.

Can one inform me, how to make this change? Thanks

In every house I've ever owned, the switched outlets were
" just 1 switched " - the other was hot. You may have the
necessary wires at your receptacle - perhaps a previous homeowner
replaced the receptacle and did it incorrectly ?
John T.

Funny, in every house I've ever owned, it's been the other way.
They are either hot or switched, not mixed.

Same with me.

I have seen the
mixed type and it sure sounds more convenient.

The Limeys put switches on every outlet to make sure the electrons
don't leak out into a puddle on the floor that would electrocute the
unwary when walking past.

I recall switched plugs in the UK 50+ years ago. This way you could have
multiple devices plugged into one 3-way adapter but switch each one
individually. Those plugs had a slide switch on the top edge; now I see
ads for plugs (actually "plug tops") with push switches on the front.

In North America we use "leakproof" outlets and only use switches for
convenience - and we put them in convenient locations. With duplex
outlets, we can "split" them, putting each half on different circuits,
or switching one half (for lights) while leaving one half live (for
non-lighting loads that may want to be used during daylight hours.

In the UK "lighting" circuits were separate from "power" circuits, fused
at 5A and 5A (don't remember how many -- 30A??), respectively.

And remember that the UK uses 240V rather than 120V; the risk of leakage
and forming a puddle on the floor is doubled -- and the puddles would be
twice as dangerous. Or maybe not: don't forget the ring mains -- why
would the electrons leak out anyway rather than just continuing around
the ring back to the fuse box?

Perce

Never could figure out the actual reasoning behind it but I do know I
was often asked if I had turned off the outlet to prevent leakage when
I disconnected someting (This was in Zambia, which used the 220 volt
ring mains and switched colonial outlets in the early seventies) I
laughed. (My dad was an electrician in Canada and I had studied
electricity along with auto mechanics, electronics, machine shop, etc
at high school)

These are typical mmains sockets in the UK.

Whoops! here's the link:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mains-Doubl.../dp/B00MY70FMA

People still install PLASTIC sockets? Ugh! Mine are all brass. Some people prefer chrome, but not plastic ffs.

--
You don't appreciate a lot of stuff in school until you get older.
Little things like being spanked every day by a middle-aged woman.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 14:57:23 -0500, Dave C wrote:

I have an AC wall socket, currently controlled by a wall switch. I
would like to change that outlet, so the one of the plugs is always
ON. The other plug would remaqin as is, ergo controlled by the wall
switch. I purchased a prior house with that configuartion for one
socket. Alas I never looked to see how that "split" outlet
configuration was implemented.

Can one inform me, how to make this change? Thanks

Thanks to the Many responder for the extensive, timely advise. With
your advise I now have a switched/ half hot outlet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 14:51:57 -0600, Gordon Shumway
wrote:

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 14:57:23 -0500, Dave C wrote:

I have an AC wall socket, currently controlled by a wall switch. I
would like to change that outlet, so the one of the plugs is always
ON. The other plug would remaqin as is, ergo controlled by the wall
switch. I purchased a prior house with that configuartion for one
socket. Alas I never looked to see how that "split" outlet
configuration was implemented.

Can one inform me, how to make this change? Thanks

If you have to ask, my advice would be to call an electrician. You don't want to start a fire.

I asked because I did not know how to do a specific home wiring task.
I knew the solution was simple, well within my capabilities -your
snide comment ignored.

BTW: I am a degreed electrical engineer - though my area of
knowledge/ experience is in designing Electronic Warfare microwave
systems. You can ask me how to design/build a 70 dB DR DLVA 15 MHz
video BW device and I will assist you - as used in ESM RWR receivers

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 16:01:28 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 02:19:20 -0000, wrote:

What country is a better question.
The part you are missing is "wall switch". This is a switch near the
door that controls a receptacle somewhere in the room. (for a lamp)
It is not a switch right on the receptacle.

Makes more sense to have the switch no the socket, then it's clear what it's for and where to find it.

If the receptacle has a lamp plugged into it and you are entering the
room, a switch on the wall by the door is a whole lot more convenient
than pulling out the table and reaching behind it to get to the
switch. ;-)

This is actually driven by the code. It is required to have a
lighting outlet (luminaire or a receptacle) in every habitable room.
Nobody feels the need for a switch at every receptacle since virtually
all equipment has a switch on it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 02:19:20 -0000, wrote:

What country is a better question.
The part you are missing is "wall switch". This is a switch near the
door that controls a receptacle somewhere in the room. (for a lamp)
It is not a switch right on the receptacle.

Makes more sense to have the switch no the socket, then it's clear what it's for and where to find it.

If the receptacle has a lamp plugged into it and you are entering the
room, a switch on the wall by the door is a whole lot more convenient
than pulling out the table and reaching behind it to get to the
switch. ;-)

Floor lamps have foot-activated switches. Table lamps have a switch on the cord or next to the bulb, or the fancy ones you touch the base and it detects you by capacitance.

This is actually driven by the code. It is required to have a
lighting outlet (luminaire or a receptacle) in every habitable room.
Nobody feels the need for a switch at every receptacle since virtually
all equipment has a switch on it.

What a stupid code. We have lights on the ceiling, with a switch by the door (or in my case a PIR).

--
I used to not get along with my mother-in-law, but over the last few
months, I've developed quite an attachment for her. It goes over her
head, and a strap comes down under her chin to keep her mouth shut.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 17:24:10 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

Most of ours are a foot off the floor too, but they all have switches. Of course you don't have to use them, you can leave them on and use the appliance's switch. But in the case of some things, I want to switch them off at the wall too incase someone (or a cat) knocks the appliance switch and makes it come on when it shouldn't (like a heater, toasted sandwich maker, or other hot device which could set something on fire when I'm not around to put it out). And things like soldering irons don't tend to have appliance switches.

We just unplug things like that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Ha! I remember my inlaws switching *every* socket off every night

before bed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 23/12/2016 19:16, Dave C wrote:
On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 14:57:23 -0500, Dave C wrote:

I have an AC wall socket, currently controlled by a wall switch. I
would like to change that outlet, so the one of the plugs is always
ON. The other plug would remaqin as is, ergo controlled by the wall
switch. I purchased a prior house with that configuartion for one
socket. Alas I never looked to see how that "split" outlet
configuration was implemented.

Can one inform me, how to make this change? Thanks

Thanks to the Many responder for the extensive, timely advise. With
your advise I now have a switched/ half hot outlet.

Is the word *advise*(in the context that you are using the word) instead
of *advice* the way it is spelt in the US?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 18:23:43 +0000, Bod wrote:

What is the one with the 2 round holes

Screw holes for fixing the socket to a patress.

My bad.
I looked around and I was thinking about the CEE/7 that is used on the
other side of the channel. I just knew we used to get a cord like that
with equipment here now and then, in addition to the US cord set. I
thought it was UK but I guess it was continental Europe.
When I cut off the plug, I also saw it was the european color code on
the wire (Blue, brown and green/yellow).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 18:52:37 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

That's the normal way. Down for on, off for up.

Not here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/23/16 3:03 PM, Bod wrote:
On 23/12/2016 19:16, Dave C wrote:
On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 14:57:23 -0500, Dave C wrote:

I have an AC wall socket, currently controlled by a wall switch. I
would like to change that outlet, so the one of the plugs is always
ON. The other plug would remaqin as is, ergo controlled by the wall
switch. I purchased a prior house with that configuartion for one
socket. Alas I never looked to see how that "split" outlet
configuration was implemented.

Can one inform me, how to make this change? Thanks

Thanks to the Many responder for the extensive, timely advise. With
your advise I now have a switched/ half hot outlet.

Is the word *advise*(in the context that you are using the word)
instead of *advice* the way it is spelt in the US?

In the US, *advice* would have been more correct.

BTW, in the US we use *spelled*, not *spelt*

http://writingexplained.org/spelt-or-spelled-difference

Who said we are "Two countries divided by a common language" ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

That's the normal way. Down for on, off for up.

Not here.

Really?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 23/12/2016 20:16, Retired wrote:
On 12/23/16 3:03 PM, Bod wrote:
[...]

:-) Both of us recognise every word in spite of some different

spellings, ie: it's still English.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 20:00:17 -0000, Bod wrote:

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 18:12:58 -0000, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

--

I could always add a switch next to an outlet which would be fine for
a kitchen counter or workbench. I actually had switches for the
outlets on my workbench. The problem here in the States is that most
of our electrical outlets are around foot off the floor so bending
down to turn something on and off could be difficult especially if
the outlet is behind a couch. Back at my home, I have two switches on
the
wall inside next to the front door. One is for the porch light and the
other controls the outlet under the front window for a lamp so one can
turn it on when entering a dark house. The rest of the electrical
outlets including those above the kitchen counters are not switched.
?(?)?

One of the outlets in my house is switched on with the wall switch where
you come into the room. The house was built around 1985.

For some reason one of the lights in a room comes on when the switch is
down and off when up. Not sure if it is a 3 way switch that I can't
find another switch for , of if someone just installed it upside down.
Thought about looking and changing it, but just too lazey. That light is
seldom used anyway.

That's the normal way. Down for on, off for up.

My thoughts exactly.

Not that I've had a lightswitch in my house for a decade. They're all automated. The cats can turn them on too.

--
A military pilot called for a priority landing because his single-engine jet fighter was running "a bit peaked."
Air Traffic Control told the fighter jock that he was number two, behind a B-52 that had one engine shut down.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I know two people who think electricity leaks out of a socket if no plug is in it.

--
A military pilot called for a priority landing because his single-engine jet fighter was running "a bit peaked."
Air Traffic Control told the fighter jock that he was number two, behind a B-52 that had one engine shut down.
"Ah," the fighter pilot remarked, "The dreaded seven-engine approach."
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Most of ours are a foot off the floor too, but they all have switches. Of course you don't have to use them, you can leave them on and use the appliance's switch. But in the case of some things, I want to switch them off at the wall too incase someone (or a cat) knocks the appliance switch and makes it come on when it shouldn't (like a heater, toasted sandwich maker, or other hot device which could set something on fire when I'm not around to put it out). And things like soldering irons don't tend to have appliance switches.

We just unplug things like that.

Switches are easier. Especially with UK plugs which have a habit of sitting with the prongs straight up. There's a statistic which may be made up that more people are injured in the UK by standing on upturned plugs than by electric shock.

--
The squaw on the hippopotamus is equal to the sons of the squaws on the other two hides!

Posted to alt.home.repair

its far less work and less hassle to just install another outlet nearby and wire it always on.......
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/23/2016 03:00 PM, Bod wrote:

[...]

That's the system with which I grew up in the UK, but there is logic in
the opposite arrangement, especially with toggle switches: if something
falls and hits the switch, it is switching a circuit off rather than on.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

Al Goar posted for all of us...

On 12/23/2016 12:07 AM, wrote:
On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 23:24:42 -0500,
wrote:

Never could figure out the actual reasoning behind it but I do know I
was often asked if I had turned off the outlet to prevent leakage when
I disconnected someting (This was in Zambia, which used the 220 volt
ring mains and switched colonial outlets in the early seventies) I
laughed. (My dad was an electrician in Canada and I had studied
electricity along with auto mechanics, electronics, machine shop, etc
at high school)

Maybe the thought is at 230v, the arc takes longer to extinguish when
you pull put a plug under load and the switch is designed to do it
better.

It depends on the type of electricity.

Nuclear power has a small amount of residual radiation that can leak from devices. While coal seems safe, power generated from coal often releases small amounts of carbon monoxide into the home. Probably the safest is hydro power but water can condense
out and corrode the connections. Since the oceans are becoming more acidic, I'd expect to see inter-granular corrosion appearing in aluminum mains wiring too.

Well Al, what about solar power? Can one use the wiring for a flashlight?
What about wind power? Do it suck or blow at the end of the wire? I thought
those plastic stoppers were to keep them from leaking.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 19:49:50 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

This is actually driven by the code. It is required to have a
lighting outlet (luminaire or a receptacle) in every habitable room.
Nobody feels the need for a switch at every receptacle since virtually
all equipment has a switch on it.

What a stupid code. We have lights on the ceiling, with a switch by the door (or in my case a PIR).

It sounds like the same rule there. The light on the ceiling is a
"luminaire" but you can also just have a receptacle on that switch.
(for a lamp) Ceiling lights were out of fashion here for a while so
the code was amended. Now everyone wants a fan with a light in it so
the code had to upgrade those ceiling boxes to handle a 50 pound fan.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 20:00:17 +0000, Bod wrote:

That's the normal way. Down for on, off for up.

My thoughts exactly.

I noticed that in New Zealand too. Maybe it has something to do with
driving on the wrong side of the road. The in and out door at a store
is backward too. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 20:28:16 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

Not that I've had a lightswitch in my house for a decade. They're all automated. The cats can turn them on too.

My "walking around" lights, inside and out are PIR but the light in
the bedrooms and "task lights" are on switches.
It is still fairly unusual here tho.
I started with the motion light in the kitchen after I found the wife
and daughter using the fridge light as a night light. Sometimes it
would stay open until morning. I have rope under the toe kicks and
over the train track so you can see enough to get a drink or a quick
snack.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 15:34:53 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

That's the normal way. Down for on, off for up.

Could be where you are, but in the US (atleast southern US) it is up for
on.

The code does not define up or down with snap switches but it does say
up is on for circuit breakers and unit disconnects that operate up and
down. There is no preference on side to side operation.
This probably came from the code rule about knife switches where it
says gravity shall not tend to move a switch to the on position.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 14:57:23 -0500, Dave C wrote:

I have an AC wall socket, currently controlled by a wall switch. I
would like to change that outlet, so the one of the plugs is always
ON. The other plug would remaqin as is, ergo controlled by the wall
switch. I purchased a prior house with that configuartion for one
socket. Alas I never looked to see how that "split" outlet
configuration was implemented.

Can one inform me, how to make this change? Thanks

If you have to ask, my advice would be to call an electrician. You don't want to start a fire.

I asked because I did not know how to do a specific home wiring task.
I knew the solution was simple, well within my capabilities -your
snide comment ignored.

Just to set the record straight my advice was not snide. Not knowing your capabilities it was appropriate.

BTW: I am a degreed electrical engineer - though my area of
knowledge/ experience is in designing Electronic Warfare microwave
systems. You can ask me how to design/build a 70 dB DR DLVA 15 MHz
video BW device and I will assist you - as used in ESM RWR receivers

Snide mode activated. If you're a EE you must have been at the bottom of your class.

Snide mode deactivated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 20:57:59 -0000, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

[...]

Safety conscious pussy.

--
Your mouse has moved. Windows must be restarted for this change to take effect.