Al Kondo

Default Installing wall tile... Move electrical outlet level to new wall?

I am installing ceramic tile to my kitchen counter and backsplash.
With respect to the backsplash area, I will be installing both backer
board and the tiles. This will make my wall about 1/2" thicker than
it was before (I had formica before). How do I move the wall outlet
so that it is level to the new ceramic wall? I know that this must
be simple, but I have never done it before. Thanks.

Al Kondo
toller

Good luck moving it.

Assuming it is a standard single box, they make plastic inserts that fit on
the old box to bring it flush with new surface. I have bought them at HD,
but I presume they are available everywhere.

It is not legal, but I suspect most people would say that tile is not
combustible, so why bother. But for $1...

SQLit

"Al Kondo" wrote in message
I am installing ceramic tile to my kitchen counter and backsplash.
With respect to the backsplash area, I will be installing both backer
board and the tiles. This will make my wall about 1/2" thicker than
it was before (I had formica before). How do I move the wall outlet
so that it is level to the new ceramic wall? I know that this must
be simple, but I have never done it before. Thanks.

Al Kondo

depends on the box in the wall.

If it is a 4 square then just buy a new deeper ring. Rings come in flat,
1/4,1/2,5/8,3/4 and 1 inch and deeper. Some of these might be hard to find
at the local box store.

If you have an fiber or plastic box or single gang gem box. Then you can buy
extensions for the box. The extensions come in plastic or metal. Your
choice.

If single gang I highly suggest that you bang a hole and just replace the
box with a 4 square, depth as you need and a 2 gang ring. Plan on putting a
gfci recpt in the box and your on your way to an upgraded look.

Main Man

Dont forget Part P of Building Regs now requires John Prescott's sign
off for finished work unless certified sparky.
I gather those nice people at Building Control only charge about
=A3180+vat for a visit.

Will most of us comply????

How to remove glue left from old kitchen wall tile?? Steve Home Repair 5 February 11th 05 01:00 AM
Florida Tile LD Home Ownership 17 March 2nd 04 11:52 PM
Tiling Advice - Any good reason I cant use mortar as Wall Tile Adhesive SledgehammerSteve UK diy 12 December 22nd 03 04:16 PM
Flex outlet for wall light Martin Pentreath UK diy 7 September 20th 03 01:35 AM
Concrete retaining wall issue revisited jeff Home Ownership 1 August 20th 03 12:06 AM