Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cable colours for switchable PIR?

I'm installing a PIR floodlight. For convenience, I want it to be
switched by a two-way switch, to either permanently on or PIR-
controlled. The PIR is already mounted on the lamp unit. Given past
poor experience, I'm not interested in one controlled by either
pulsing the switch to change mode, or by X10. The circuit is simple
enough, it just needs an extra core, but what's best practice in
cabling this? In particular, colour coding the conductors?

The cable will be simply clipped to the inside of the conservatory -
outside lights have their own circuit, with separate RCBO. I have T&E,
twin brown & E, also some 1mm^2 3-phase in brown, black, grey + E.
Using the 3 phase seems simplest, would this be acceptable, with the
use of blue & brown sleeving to indicate the neutral and the two phase
conductors (switched #1 and switched #2).

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
[...]

Use the 3 core and earth (not usually called a 3 phase cable) with the
sleeving colours that you have suggested. Usually the grey is the core that
is sleeved with the blue sleeving the black is sleeved with brown.

Cheers

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 07:34:13 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be Andy
Dingley wrote this:-

Using the 3 phase seems simplest, would this be acceptable, with the
use of blue & brown sleeving to indicate the neutral and the two phase
conductors (switched #1 and switched #2).

I would use brown for the "permanent" live, the one to the PIR. I
would use black, sleeved brown, for the switched live. I would use
grey, sleeved blue, for the neutral.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000...#pt3-pb3-l1g54
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Aug, 15:52, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

Use the 3 core and earth (not usually called a 3 phase cable) with the
sleeving colours that you have suggested.

Marvellous, thanks a lot.

Now could someone please switch off the torrential rain that has
started just since I posted? Ta.

telephone cable colours Stephen[_6_] UK diy 5 September 14th 09 11:18 PM
Cable colours grrrrr Ben Blaukopf UK diy 31 February 9th 07 07:39 PM
Seeking 3C-&-E cable in old colours Lobster UK diy 15 May 9th 05 04:21 PM
PIR cable colours Al Reynolds UK diy 8 December 4th 04 01:50 PM
Part P - new cable colours CRB UK diy 50 November 30th 04 11:13 PM