Lobster

Default Seeking 3C-&-E cable in old colours

I decided to do my current rewiring project using the old colours on the
basis that (a) I had a fair amount of old stuff in stock and (b) the
local sheds (B&Q/Wickes) don't stock any harmonised colours at all yet
(still).

However, I ran out of 3 core & earth cable for my 2-way lighting and
smoke alarm circuits. A trip to B&Q and Wickes for a new reel was
fruitless; I was advised that the cable (either 1.0 or 1.5 mm2) is now
obsolete and they won't be getting any more in. But no sign of any
harmonised-coloured cable in the forseeable future, either. God help us.

So I'm in the middle of the project, run out of 3C&E red/black cable,
and the regs forbid me to use harmonised cable. So before I rip the
whole lot out and start again, does anybody know who still stocks this
stuff (1.0mm ideally)? I think the online retailers are all now fully on
to harmonised? (Actually TBH that isn't going to happen; I bought 3 very
expensive 7m lengths in poly bags from Wickes, but would rather return
them and buy a full reel.)

Thanks
David
Lobster

Dave wrote:
Lobster wrote:
... snipped

So I'm in the middle of the project, run out of 3C&E red/black cable,
and the regs forbid me to use harmonised cable. So before I rip the

Why? All you need is a standard sticker on the CU saying that the
installation uses both colour schemes.

You're allowed to do that if you're adding to or extending an existing
system but not if you're installing a new system from scratch (as I am).

From BS7671: 2001 - Amendment No 2 : 2004 (AMD 14905):

"Installations commencing on site after 31st March 2004 and before 1st
April 2006 may be installed in accordance with Amendment No 2 : 2004 or
Amendment No 1 : 2002; that is, they may use the harmonized colours or
the old colours, but NOT both."

"If wiring alterations or additions are made to an installation such
that some of the wiring complies with Regulation 514-04 but there is
also wiring to previous versions of these Regulations, a warning notice
shall be affixed at or near the appropriate distribution board with the
following wording: "CAUTION: This installation has wiring colours to two
versions of BS 7671. Great care should be taken before undertaking
extension, alteration or repair that all conductors are correctly
identified."

David

Dave

Lobster wrote:
Dave wrote:

Lobster wrote:
... snipped

So I'm in the middle of the project, run out of 3C&E red/black cable,
and the regs forbid me to use harmonised cable. So before I rip the

Why? All you need is a standard sticker on the CU saying that the
installation uses both colour schemes.

You're allowed to do that if you're adding to or extending an existing
system but not if you're installing a new system from scratch (as I am).

From BS7671: 2001 - Amendment No 2 : 2004 (AMD 14905):

"Installations commencing on site after 31st March 2004 and before 1st
April 2006 may be installed in accordance with Amendment No 2 : 2004 or
Amendment No 1 : 2002; that is, they may use the harmonized colours or
the old colours, but NOT both."

"If wiring alterations or additions are made to an installation such
that some of the wiring complies with Regulation 514-04 but there is
also wiring to previous versions of these Regulations, a warning notice
shall be affixed at or near the appropriate distribution board with the
following wording: "CAUTION: This installation has wiring colours to two
versions of BS 7671. Great care should be taken before undertaking
extension, alteration or repair that all conductors are correctly
identified."

David

Ah, I hadn't realised that this was a new installation.
I wonder if there's a definition of when alterations or additions become
a new installation?

Dave
DJC

Lobster wrote:
Dave wrote:

Lobster wrote:
... snipped

So I'm in the middle of the project, run out of 3C&E red/black cable,
and the regs forbid me to use harmonised cable. So before I rip the

Why? All you need is a standard sticker on the CU saying that the
installation uses both colour schemes.

but then the bit with the old colours was obviously done long before
part P, wsn't it. And that new bit is a replacement for something the
mice found tasty.

--
David Clark

$message_body_include ="PLES RING IF AN RNSR IS REQIRD"
Owain

Lobster wrote:
However, I ran out of 3 core & earth cable for my 2-way lighting and
smoke alarm circuits.

You can use a second length of T&E for the third wire. Cut back the
unused core, ensure *all* the earths are connected, and the second T&E
*must* run alongside the first at all times.

You also used to be able to get sheathed single red, for the same purpose.

This will be fine for 2-way switching, not sure about smoke alarms.

Owain

raden

In message , Lobster
writes
I decided to do my current rewiring project using the old colours on
the basis that (a) I had a fair amount of old stuff in stock and (b)
the local sheds (B&Q/Wickes) don't stock any harmonised colours at all
yet (still).

However, I ran out of 3 core & earth cable for my 2-way lighting and
smoke alarm circuits. A trip to B&Q and Wickes for a new reel was
fruitless; I was advised that the cable (either 1.0 or 1.5 mm2) is now
obsolete and they won't be getting any more in. But no sign of any
harmonised-coloured cable in the forseeable future, either. God help us.

Go to a proper electrical shop

I think (and hope ) that my local one still stocks real cable reels

(Watford)

--
geoff
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
raden writes:
In message , Lobster
However, I ran out of 3 core & earth cable for my 2-way lighting and
smoke alarm circuits. A trip to B&Q and Wickes for a new reel was
fruitless; I was advised that the cable (either 1.0 or 1.5 mm2) is now
obsolete and they won't be getting any more in. But no sign of any
harmonised-coloured cable in the forseeable future, either. God help us.

Go to a proper electrical shop

Electrical Wholesaler?

When I was in one a couple of weeks ago, an electrician was trying
to buy old colours as he was working in the local hospital, and they
have banned the use of new colours throughout the whole premises.
Wholesaler was saying they've had lots of requests for old colours
as many large organisations have now done this, so they're looking to
get old colours back as a stock item. They only had 1mm T&E in old
colours left in stock at the time though. A work colleague also
saw one of our customers had put notices up in all their wiring
closets forbidding use of new colours, as ordered by their health
and safety officer.

--
Andrew Gabriel
raden

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
raden writes:
In message , Lobster
[...]

I will phone my local one tomorrow

--
geoff
Tim Mitchell

In article , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
raden writes:
In message , Lobster
[...]

That's a typical h&s officer reaction, what are they going to do when
the new colours become mandatory? rewire the whole place?
--
Tim Mitchell
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Tim Mitchell writes:
In article , Andrew Gabriel
writes
Electrical Wholesaler?

When I was in one a couple of weeks ago, an electrician was trying
to buy old colours as he was working in the local hospital, and they
have banned the use of new colours throughout the whole premises.
Wholesaler was saying they've had lots of requests for old colours
as many large organisations have now done this, so they're looking to
get old colours back as a stock item. They only had 1mm T&E in old
colours left in stock at the time though. A work colleague also
saw one of our customers had put notices up in all their wiring
closets forbidding use of new colours, as ordered by their health
and safety officer.

That's a typical h&s officer reaction, what are they going to do when
the new colours become mandatory? rewire the whole place?

The new colours don't become mandatory for them.
In some of the circumstances, it may be that the new colours
have been in use for many years with a different meaning.

--
Andrew Gabriel

The Natural Philosopher

Tim Mitchell wrote:

That's a typical h&s officer reaction, what are they going to do when
the new colours become mandatory? rewire the whole place?

Almost certainly.

Its not their money, but it IS their jobs on the line if someone dies
from touching the wrong colour...

Go figure...
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Lobster wrote:
I decided to do my current rewiring project using the old colours on the
basis that (a) I had a fair amount of old stuff in stock and (b) the
local sheds (B&Q/Wickes) don't stock any harmonised colours at all yet
(still).

However, I ran out of 3 core & earth cable for my 2-way lighting and
smoke alarm circuits. A trip to B&Q and Wickes for a new reel was
fruitless; I was advised that the cable (either 1.0 or 1.5 mm2) is now
obsolete and they won't be getting any more in. But no sign of any
harmonised-coloured cable in the forseeable future, either. God help us.

Take a trip round your local wholesalers since you want a full reel. One
may well have the old colours still in stock.

--
*Hang in there, retirement is only thirty years away! *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Mark Carver

However, I ran out of 3 core & earth cable for my 2-way lighting and
smoke alarm circuits. A trip to B&Q and Wickes for a new reel was
fruitless; I was advised that the cable (either 1.0 or 1.5 mm2) is now
obsolete and they won't be getting any more in. But no sign of any
harmonised-coloured cable in the forseeable future, either. God help us.

Loads of it for sale on E-Bay, most of it 100m reels of 1.0mm and 2.5mm
at £4 and £8 per reel (P+p £8 + 2.50 for every extra reel) from a proper
firm in East Anglia. I've purchased 200m of each. (I have no connection
with the seller)

See
http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZ55ken55

--
Mark
Please replace invalid and invalid with gmx and net to reply
Bob Mannix

"Mark Carver" wrote in message

However, I ran out of 3 core & earth cable for my 2-way lighting and
smoke alarm circuits. A trip to B&Q and Wickes for a new reel was
fruitless; I was advised that the cable (either 1.0 or 1.5 mm2) is now
obsolete and they won't be getting any more in. But no sign of any
harmonised-coloured cable in the forseeable future, either. God help

us.

Loads of it for sale on E-Bay, most of it 100m reels of 1.0mm and 2.5mm
at £4 and £8 per reel (P+p £8 + 2.50 for every extra reel) from a proper
firm in East Anglia. I've purchased 200m of each. (I have no connection
with the seller)

See
http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZ55ken55

They all seem to be twin and earth as far as I could see - the OP was after
3-core and earth (as he said).

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Mark Carver

Bob Mannix wrote:
"Mark Carver" wrote in message

However, I ran out of 3 core & earth cable for my 2-way lighting and
smoke alarm circuits. A trip to B&Q and Wickes for a new reel was
fruitless; I was advised that the cable (either 1.0 or 1.5 mm2) is now
obsolete and they won't be getting any more in. But no sign of any
harmonised-coloured cable in the forseeable future, either. God help

us.

Loads of it for sale on E-Bay, most of it 100m reels of 1.0mm and 2.5mm
at £4 and £8 per reel (P+p £8 + 2.50 for every extra reel) from a proper
firm in East Anglia. I've purchased 200m of each. (I have no connection
with the seller)

See
http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZ55ken55

They all seem to be twin and earth as far as I could see - the OP was after
3-core and earth (as he said).

You're right, my apologies. Worth giving them a ring instead, they might
well have some.

Headley and Ellis Ltd 01733 345250

http://www.gfd54.dial.pipex.com/

Part P - new cable colours CRB UK diy 50 November 30th 04 11:13 PM
slightly OT NTL/Telewest cable descrambler ntldescrambler UK diy 10 August 26th 04 03:25 PM
Need Cable TV expert - I have questions exray Electronics Repair 4 March 28th 04 02:29 PM
Is it OK to put standard "twin & earth" cable directly into the cavity of a dwarf wall? Jon Weaver UK diy 20 August 8th 03 03:38 PM
Routeing Electrical FTE cable pickerel UK diy 3 July 24th 03 12:43 AM