Dave

Lobster wrote:
Dave wrote:

Lobster wrote:
... snipped

So I'm in the middle of the project, run out of 3C&E red/black cable,
and the regs forbid me to use harmonised cable. So before I rip the

Why? All you need is a standard sticker on the CU saying that the
installation uses both colour schemes.

You're allowed to do that if you're adding to or extending an existing
system but not if you're installing a new system from scratch (as I am).

From BS7671: 2001 - Amendment No 2 : 2004 (AMD 14905):

"Installations commencing on site after 31st March 2004 and before 1st
April 2006 may be installed in accordance with Amendment No 2 : 2004 or
Amendment No 1 : 2002; that is, they may use the harmonized colours or
the old colours, but NOT both."

"If wiring alterations or additions are made to an installation such
that some of the wiring complies with Regulation 514-04 but there is
also wiring to previous versions of these Regulations, a warning notice
shall be affixed at or near the appropriate distribution board with the
following wording: "CAUTION: This installation has wiring colours to two
versions of BS 7671. Great care should be taken before undertaking
extension, alteration or repair that all conductors are correctly
identified."

David

Ah, I hadn't realised that this was a new installation.
I wonder if there's a definition of when alterations or additions become
a new installation?

Dave