Posted to alt.home.repair
James Wilkinson Sword James Wilkinson Sword is offline

Default Switchable Wall Outlet

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 19:58:46 -0000, wrote:

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 17:24:10 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

Most of ours are a foot off the floor too, but they all have switches. Of course you don't have to use them, you can leave them on and use the appliance's switch. But in the case of some things, I want to switch them off at the wall too incase someone (or a cat) knocks the appliance switch and makes it come on when it shouldn't (like a heater, toasted sandwich maker, or other hot device which could set something on fire when I'm not around to put it out). And things like soldering irons don't tend to have appliance switches.

We just unplug things like that.

Switches are easier. Especially with UK plugs which have a habit of sitting with the prongs straight up. There's a statistic which may be made up that more people are injured in the UK by standing on upturned plugs than by electric shock.

--
The squaw on the hippopotamus is equal to the sons of the squaws on the other two hides!