Posted to alt.home.repair
Bod[_3_] Bod[_3_] is offline

Default Switchable Wall Outlet

On 23/12/2016 18:25, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, December 23, 2016 at 11:01:38 AM UTC-5, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 02:19:20 -0000, wrote:

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 23:37:43 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 19:57:23 -0000, Dave C wrote:

I have an AC wall socket, currently controlled by a wall switch. I
would like to change that outlet, so the one of the plugs is always
ON. The other plug would remaqin as is, ergo controlled by the wall
switch. I purchased a prior house with that configuartion for one
socket. Alas I never looked to see how that "split" outlet
configuration was implemented.

Can one inform me, how to make this change? Thanks

What century are you living in? All my sockets have switches on them.

What country is a better question.
The part you are missing is "wall switch". This is a switch near the
door that controls a receptacle somewhere in the room. (for a lamp)
It is not a switch right on the receptacle.

Makes more sense to have the switch no the socket, then it's clear what it's for and where to find it.

Yeah, that works real great for a floor lamp. When you enter the room
in the dark, you can move the sofa, crawl behind it, to turn on the switch
for the floor lamp. Idiot.

You have the choice to leave the socket switch in the on position.
Some people like to switch, say, a tv completely off and not to leave it
on standby.