Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Switchable Wall Outlet

I have an AC wall socket, currently controlled by a wall switch. I
would like to change that outlet, so the one of the plugs is always
ON. The other plug would remaqin as is, ergo controlled by the wall
switch. I purchased a prior house with that configuartion for one
socket. Alas I never looked to see how that "split" outlet
configuration was implemented.

Can one inform me, how to make this change? Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 22, 2016 at 2:57:48 PM UTC-5, Dave C wrote:
I have an AC wall socket, currently controlled by a wall switch. I
would like to change that outlet, so the one of the plugs is always
ON. The other plug would remaqin as is, ergo controlled by the wall
switch. I purchased a prior house with that configuartion for one
socket. Alas I never looked to see how that "split" outlet
configuration was implemented.

Can one inform me, how to make this change? Thanks

It depends on how it it wired. If the hot wire comes to the receptacle box,
and then goes to the switch, it is fairly easy. You can cut the tab between
the upper and lower socket and attach a hot wire to one socket and the
switched to the other.

If the hot goes to the switch box first and then to the receptacle, you'll
need to pull an always-hot wire to the receptacle box.

This image shows the easy set-up because the source hot is available at the
receptacle:

http://www.electrical-online.com/wp-...d-outlet-2.gif

This is how you require the receptacle after breaking the tab:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...77767bbc9f.jpg

This shows the source hot at the switch meaning you have no always-hot wire at the receptacle. This will require more than just a simple rewireing inside
the receptacle box. You'll need to pull a new wire to get power directly to
the receptacle.

http://www.do-it-yourself-help.com/i...receptacle.gif

That is often done with a 3 wire cable from the switch box to the receptacle.

http://ask-the-electrician.com/image...-diagram-1.JPG

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 22, 2016 at 3:39:22 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Actually, both of my first 2 images show the receptacle already split (I
pasted the wrong link of the "before" wiring) but I think you get the
idea.

Let me know if I confused you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

That diagram should show the white wire marked with black tape
at both ends, at the switch and at the receptacle, to identify
it as an ungrounded conductor.

This is how you require the receptacle after breaking the tab:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...77767bbc9f.jpg

That diagram shows it marked, but doesn't talk about it and
most people not familiar wouldn't know it.

This shows the source hot at the switch meaning you have no always-hot wire at the receptacle. This will require more than just a simple rewireing inside
the receptacle box. You'll need to pull a new wire to get power directly to
the receptacle.

http://www.do-it-yourself-help.com/i...receptacle.gif

That is often done with a 3 wire cable from the switch box to the receptacle.

http://ask-the-electrician.com/image...-diagram-1.JPG

And the vast majority of receptacles that are wired to just a switch
are done that way, hot to switch, then to receptacle, in which case
it's not a simple job and like you say, needs a cable pulled.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 14:57:23 -0500, Dave C wrote:

I have an AC wall socket, currently controlled by a wall switch. I
would like to change that outlet, so the one of the plugs is always
ON. The other plug would remaqin as is, ergo controlled by the wall
switch. I purchased a prior house with that configuartion for one
socket. Alas I never looked to see how that "split" outlet
configuration was implemented.

Can one inform me, how to make this change? Thanks

If you have to ask, my advice would be to call an electrician. You don't want to start a fire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 22, 2016 at 3:52:28 PM UTC-5, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 14:57:23 -0500, Dave C wrote:

I have an AC wall socket, currently controlled by a wall switch. I
would like to change that outlet, so the one of the plugs is always
ON. The other plug would remaqin as is, ergo controlled by the wall
switch. I purchased a prior house with that configuartion for one
socket. Alas I never looked to see how that "split" outlet
configuration was implemented.

Can one inform me, how to make this change? Thanks

If you have to ask, my advice would be to call an electrician. You don't want to start a fire.

Now there's the spirit of a.h.r

We get the rare on-topic post and you send him packing.

God forbid someone actually learn something from this ng.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 12:59:30 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Thursday, December 22, 2016 at 3:52:28 PM UTC-5, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 14:57:23 -0500, Dave C wrote:

I have an AC wall socket, currently controlled by a wall switch. I
would like to change that outlet, so the one of the plugs is always
ON. The other plug would remaqin as is, ergo controlled by the wall
switch. I purchased a prior house with that configuartion for one
socket. Alas I never looked to see how that "split" outlet
configuration was implemented.

Can one inform me, how to make this change? Thanks

If you have to ask, my advice would be to call an electrician. You don't want to start a fire.

Now there's the spirit of a.h.r

We get the rare on-topic post and you send him packing.

If it were only that easy with you.

God forbid someone actually learn something from this ng.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 22, 2016 at 6:08:32 PM UTC-5, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 12:59:30 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Thursday, December 22, 2016 at 3:52:28 PM UTC-5, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 14:57:23 -0500, Dave C wrote:

I have an AC wall socket, currently controlled by a wall switch. I
would like to change that outlet, so the one of the plugs is always
ON. The other plug would remaqin as is, ergo controlled by the wall
switch. I purchased a prior house with that configuartion for one
socket. Alas I never looked to see how that "split" outlet
configuration was implemented.

Can one inform me, how to make this change? Thanks

If you have to ask, my advice would be to call an electrician. You don't want to start a fire.

Now there's the spirit of a.h.r

We get the rare on-topic post and you send him packing.

If it were only that easy with you.

It is...just take the appropriate steps. You've heard of filters, haven't you?

This one's on you.

God forbid someone actually learn something from this ng.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 17:20:45 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

First thing that needs to be determined is if there is a live wire
at the outlet with the switch turned off. If so, you have a "drop
switch" configuration and it is easy. It will have the black wire of
the "feed" wire-nutted to the wire to the switch, and the return from
the switch on the "gold" screw of the outlet, with the white wire of
the "feed" on the silver screw. By removing the "link" between the 2
gold screws and adding a wire to the black wirenut connection and
connecting it to the gold screw of the desired "always live" side of
the outlet, you have made one live and one switched.

If there is no live wire with the switch you have a "drop outlet"
configuration where the power comes throughthe box where the switch is
to the outlet - which is more involved to modify. Easiest way is to
replace the wite from the switch to the outlet with a 3 wire cable in
place of the 2 - with the black gouing straight through to the "always
on" and the red running from the controlled side of the switch to the
switched side. The black wire needs to be wirenutted through with a
pigtail to supply power to the switch.

Not easy to do in a finished wall without opening up the drywall or
plaster.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 14:51:57 -0600, Gordon Shumway
wrote:

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 14:57:23 -0500, Dave C wrote:

I have an AC wall socket, currently controlled by a wall switch. I
would like to change that outlet, so the one of the plugs is always
ON. The other plug would remaqin as is, ergo controlled by the wall
switch. I purchased a prior house with that configuartion for one
socket. Alas I never looked to see how that "split" outlet
configuration was implemented.

Can one inform me, how to make this change? Thanks

If you have to ask, my advice would be to call an electrician. You don't want to start a fire.

I asked because I did not know how to do a specific home wiring task.
I knew the solution was simple, well within my capabilities -your
snide comment ignored.

BTW: I am a degreed electrical engineer - though my area of
knowledge/ experience is in designing Electronic Warfare microwave
systems. You can ask me how to design/build a 70 dB DR DLVA 15 MHz
video BW device and I will assist you - as used in ESM RWR receivers

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 14:57:23 -0500, Dave C wrote:

I have an AC wall socket, currently controlled by a wall switch. I
would like to change that outlet, so the one of the plugs is always
ON. The other plug would remaqin as is, ergo controlled by the wall
switch. I purchased a prior house with that configuartion for one
socket. Alas I never looked to see how that "split" outlet
configuration was implemented.

Can one inform me, how to make this change? Thanks

If you have to ask, my advice would be to call an electrician. You don't want to start a fire.

I asked because I did not know how to do a specific home wiring task.
I knew the solution was simple, well within my capabilities -your
snide comment ignored.

Just to set the record straight my advice was not snide. Not knowing your capabilities it was appropriate.

BTW: I am a degreed electrical engineer - though my area of
knowledge/ experience is in designing Electronic Warfare microwave
systems. You can ask me how to design/build a 70 dB DR DLVA 15 MHz
video BW device and I will assist you - as used in ESM RWR receivers

Snide mode activated. If you're a EE you must have been at the bottom of your class.

Snide mode deactivated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Actually I graduated in the top 20% of an Ivy league University class,
as a EE. I was Director of Engineering at age 37, for a large defense
company. I retired at age 45, 23 years ago because I could !!

I merely asked for advise! Clearly I was not soliciting your USELESS
/Snide commentary !! I was fortunte, that other responders WERE
Helpful, with sage advise that I implimented successfully.

Oddly, as I have followed this site for many years, I may have found
your prior posts helpful. Too bad you find the need to .....

BTW: If you think it is Obvious, to cut the side connection, on the AC
outlet - I also know that you are are a LIAR.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Aside from being a-hole, Gordo is apparently also under the mistaken assumption
that the term "Electrical Engineering" somehow equates to Electrician. That
assumption is something that I have experienced quite often over the years.

I have a BSEE so I can state with 100% certainty that "residential house
wiring" was not part of the EE curriculum, at least not back in the mid-80's.

If an EE knows how to wire a split switched receptacle, it is something (s)he
learned from a source unrelated to the degree they earned - unless perhaps it
was an elective. It sure wasn't an elective at RIT back when I attended.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I was remiss, with my prior reply. Might Mr Shumway cite his Esteemed
background !! Yoiur Arrogance might lead one to believe that you were
Magma Cum Laude, MIT engineering grad?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 14:57:23 -0500, Dave C wrote:

I have an AC wall socket, currently controlled by a wall switch. I
would like to change that outlet, so the one of the plugs is always
ON. The other plug would remaqin as is, ergo controlled by the wall
switch. I purchased a prior house with that configuartion for one
socket. Alas I never looked to see how that "split" outlet
configuration was implemented.

Can one inform me, how to make this change? Thanks

In every house I've ever owned, the switched outlets were
" just 1 switched " - the other was hot. You may have the
necessary wires at your receptacle - perhaps a previous homeowner
replaced the receptacle and did it incorrectly ?
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 22, 2016 at 4:24:07 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 14:57:23 -0500, Dave C wrote:

I have an AC wall socket, currently controlled by a wall switch. I
would like to change that outlet, so the one of the plugs is always
ON. The other plug would remaqin as is, ergo controlled by the wall
switch. I purchased a prior house with that configuartion for one
socket. Alas I never looked to see how that "split" outlet
configuration was implemented.

Can one inform me, how to make this change? Thanks

In every house I've ever owned, the switched outlets were
" just 1 switched " - the other was hot. You may have the
necessary wires at your receptacle - perhaps a previous homeowner
replaced the receptacle and did it incorrectly ?
John T.

Funny, in every house I've ever owned, it's been the other way.
They are either hot or switched, not mixed. I have seen the
mixed type and it sure sounds more convenient.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 17:19:01 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

They are a fairly new idea in general construction but a little harder
(expensive) to do in new construction since the NEC change that
requires a neutral at every switch location.
You now need 3 wires in a switch loop so they will feed the switch and
then 2 wire to the load.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

They were VERY common here in Canada back in the sixties already
when many homes had no ceiling lamps in bedrooms and living room -
Lamps were king.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The Limeys put switches on every outlet to make sure the electrons
don't leak out into a puddle on the floor that would electrocute the
unwary when walking past.

In North America we use "leakproof" outlets and only use switches for
convenience - and we put them in convenient locations. With duplex
outlets, we can "split" them, putting each half on different circuits,
or switching one half (for lights) while leaving one half live (for
non-lighting loads that may want to be used during daylight hours.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/22/2016 09:27 PM, wrote:

[...]

I recall switched plugs in the UK 50+ years ago. This way you could have
multiple devices plugged into one 3-way adapter but switch each one
individually. Those plugs had a slide switch on the top edge; now I see
ads for plugs (actually "plug tops") with push switches on the front.

In North America we use "leakproof" outlets and only use switches for
convenience - and we put them in convenient locations. With duplex
outlets, we can "split" them, putting each half on different circuits,
or switching one half (for lights) while leaving one half live (for
non-lighting loads that may want to be used during daylight hours.

In the UK "lighting" circuits were separate from "power" circuits, fused
at 5A and 5A (don't remember how many -- 30A??), respectively.

And remember that the UK uses 240V rather than 120V; the risk of leakage
and forming a puddle on the floor is doubled -- and the puddles would be
twice as dangerous. Or maybe not: don't forget the ring mains -- why
would the electrons leak out anyway rather than just continuing around
the ring back to the fuse box?

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/22/2016 06:10 PM, trader_4 wrote:

I have an AC wall socket, currently controlled by a wall switch. I
would like to change that outlet, so the one of the plugs is always
ON. The other plug would remaqin as is, ergo controlled by the wall
switch. I purchased a prior house with that configuartion for one
socket. Alas I never looked to see how that "split" outlet
configuration was implemented.

Can one inform me, how to make this change? Thanks

In every house I've ever owned, the switched outlets were
" just 1 switched " - the other was hot. You may have the
necessary wires at your receptacle - perhaps a previous homeowner
replaced the receptacle and did it incorrectly ?
John T.

Funny, in every house I've ever owned, it's been the other way.
They are either hot or switched, not mixed. I have seen the
mixed type and it sure sounds more convenient.

Our house was built in the 1970s, and the outlets in the living room and
bedrooms are all "split": one switched, the other permanently "live."

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 19:57:23 -0000, Dave C wrote:

I have an AC wall socket, currently controlled by a wall switch. I
would like to change that outlet, so the one of the plugs is always
ON. The other plug would remaqin as is, ergo controlled by the wall
switch. I purchased a prior house with that configuartion for one
socket. Alas I never looked to see how that "split" outlet
configuration was implemented.

Can one inform me, how to make this change? Thanks

What century are you living in? All my sockets have switches on them.

--
Q: What's the difference between an Irish funeral and an Irish wedding?
A: One less drunk.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 22, 2016 at 5:37:53 PM UTC-6, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 19:57:23 -0000, Dave C wrote:

I have an AC wall socket, currently controlled by a wall switch. I
would like to change that outlet, so the one of the plugs is always
ON. The other plug would remaqin as is, ergo controlled by the wall
switch. I purchased a prior house with that configuartion for one
socket. Alas I never looked to see how that "split" outlet
configuration was implemented.

Can one inform me, how to make this change? Thanks

What century are you living in? All my sockets have switches on them.
--

You do know that North American wiring standards, voltages and frequency of normal AC power for homes. business and industry are quite different from those of Europe? Your inductive hum is lower and more masculine. I suppose that's a point of pride for you. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Humming Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 00:48:13 -0000, Uncle Monster wrote:

[...]

Voltage is nothing to do with the convenience of a switch.

--
Women like silent men, they think they're listening.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, December 23, 2016 at 10:00:59 AM UTC-6, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
[...]

I could always add a switch next to an outlet which would be fine for a kitchen counter or workbench. I actually had switches for the outlets on my workbench. The problem here in the States is that most of our electrical outlets are around foot off the floor so bending down to turn something on and off could be difficult especially if the outlet is behind a couch. Back at my home, I have two switches on the wall inside next to the front door. One is for the porch light and the other controls the outlet under the front window for a lamp so one can turn it on when entering a dark house. The rest of the electrical outlets including those above the kitchen counters are not switched. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Outdone Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 17:16:57 -0000, Uncle Monster wrote:

[...]

Most of ours are a foot off the floor too, but they all have switches. Of course you don't have to use them, you can leave them on and use the appliance's switch. But in the case of some things, I want to switch them off at the wall too incase someone (or a cat) knocks the appliance switch and makes it come on when it shouldn't (like a heater, toasted sandwich maker, or other hot device which could set something on fire when I'm not around to put it out). And things like soldering irons don't tend to have appliance switches.

--
The problem with today's society is adults are treated like children, children are treated like retards, and retards are exempt from the law.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 19:57:23 -0000, Dave C wrote:

I have an AC wall socket, currently controlled by a wall switch. I
would like to change that outlet, so the one of the plugs is always
ON. The other plug would remaqin as is, ergo controlled by the wall
switch. I purchased a prior house with that configuartion for one
socket. Alas I never looked to see how that "split" outlet
configuration was implemented.

Can one inform me, how to make this change? Thanks

What century are you living in? All my sockets have switches on them.
--

You do know that North American wiring standards, voltages and frequency of
normal AC power for homes. business and industry are quite different from
those of Europe? Your inductive hum is lower and more masculine. I suppose
that's a point of pride for you. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Humming Monster

****Simple answers ****
Can I change duplex outlet that one half works of the switch and other being
directly on the line:: €œNO€ unless you can run additional line, you need
four wires 2 Hot one Neutral and one for Ground, Only then you can split
the duplex, one output hook to hot line and one hook on the line coming from
the switch. This is for 120 Voltage source USA standard Receptacle.

Comments has being made that is not convenient, if you enter in room need to
go behind sofa to put lamp €œon€. Yes it defiantly sound pretty stupid. But
why one would need to do that Most of Lamps in USA comes with the switch at
the bulb socket, some come in the base of Table lamps, or you can get sound
activated switch or intrusion switch, any one comes in room the lights goes
on, they are made with time delays built in to them for on or off, that are
some remote ones that you not need do anything but plug it in.

Yes Europe power is 50 cycle (Hrz), While USA is 60 cycle (Hrz) . Please
Note; resistive loads can run very efficiently on both powers. For inductive
loads €œIt will not€ Voltage must be reduce apx. 10 to 15%. for American made
motors to run on 50 Hrz. At 50 Hrz motors will draw more current that will
cause overheat and shout down or will burn up..

As for leakage I do not believe that makes any difference with 50 or 60
Herz. However Voltage does make differences, and when it is said leakage
into what across what ???
Remember working with USA 120 Standard and working with 1000 volt (Example)
is big difference.

Some one made comment that if power is made by nuclear power plant that it
will have greater spark when connecting or disconnecting, I am sorry but
that must be a joke, the Electricity that you get in your home could have
being made with you €œfarts€ it would not make any difference to home owner
and dose not make any difference what power the €œGenerators€ that turn it to
make electricity.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

All of the switched outlets I ever wired had the feed at the outlet not the switch. The power to the outlet was daisy chained to the other outlets in the room and a piece of Romex was run to the switch to control the power to one or both sides of the duplex receptacle. Having the feed at the receptacle means you only have to break the hot tab to separate the sides and switch one of them. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

Yes Europe power is 50 cycle (Hrz), While USA is 60 cycle (Hrz) . Please
Note; resistive loads can run very efficiently on both powers. For inductive
loads €œIt will not€ Voltage must be reduce apx. 10 to 15%.. for American made
motors to run on 50 Hrz. At 50 Hrz motors will draw more current that will
cause overheat and shout down or will burn up..

As for leakage I do not believe that makes any difference with 50 or 60
Herz. However Voltage does make differences, and when it is said leakage
into what across what ???
Remember working with USA 120 Standard and working with 1000 volt (Example)
is big difference.

The 50hz transformers are larger than 60hz transformers. Aircraft power systems often run on 400hz AC power and the transformers in the avionics are much smaller and lighter than the terrestrial 50 and 60 Hertz transformers. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

http://www.engineering.com/Electroni...-and-60Hz.aspx

[8~{} Uncle Hertzian Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Dec 2016 02:28:22 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster
wrote:

All of the switched outlets I ever wired had the feed at the outlet not the switch. The power to the outlet was daisy chained to the other outlets in the room and a piece of Romex was run to the switch to control the power to one or both sides of the duplex receptacle. Having the feed at the receptacle means you only have to break the hot tab to separate the sides and switch one of them. ?(?)?

The code now requires a neutral at every switch location so you may
see things wired differently. It is because there are so many "smart"
switches coming down the pipe that need a neutral.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

directly on the line:: “NO” unless you can run additional line, you need
four wires 2 Hot one Neutral and one for Ground, Only then you can split
the duplex, one output hook to hot line and one hook on the line coming from
the switch. This is for 120 Voltage source USA standard Receptacle.

All of the switched outlets I ever wired had the feed at the outlet not the switch. The power to the outlet was daisy chained to the other outlets in the room and a piece of Romex was run to the switch to control the power to one or both sides of the duplex receptacle. Having the feed at the receptacle means you only have to break the hot tab to separate the sides and switch one of them. ?(?)?

Yes, "drop switch" wiring used to be the most common way of switching
outlets, and even cieling lights, but with the code change requiring
the use of 3 wire cable (neutral required in all boxes) it no longer
really makes sense.
Yes Europe power is 50 cycle (Hrz), While USA is 60 cycle (Hrz) . Please
Note; resistive loads can run very efficiently on both powers. For inductive
loads “It will not” Voltage must be reduce apx. 10 to 15%. for American made
motors to run on 50 Hrz. At 50 Hrz motors will draw more current that will
cause overheat and shout down or will burn up..

As for leakage I do not believe that makes any difference with 50 or 60
Herz. However Voltage does make differences, and when it is said leakage
into what across what ???
Remember working with USA 120 Standard and working with 1000 volt (Example)
is big difference.

The 50hz transformers are larger than 60hz transformers. Aircraft power systems often run on 400hz AC power and the transformers in the avionics are much smaller and lighter than the terrestrial 50 and 60 Hertz transformers. ?(?)?

Correct. Also the reason a 10 amp switch mode power supply is less
than half the size and weight of a 2 amp linear. The inductance of a
coil is a lot higher at gigh frequencies than at low - so the
"effective resistance" of say a 10 turn primary of #18 wire is a lot
lower at 2.5khz than a 2000 turn primary of #22 wire at 60 hz.

http://www.engineering.com/Electroni...-and-60Hz.aspx

[8~{} Uncle Hertzian Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

So why don't any countries use a much higher Hz?

--
If god is so amazing, why did the dinosaurs die out?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

That's wrong. If the source hot is already in the receptacle box then the conversion
is fairly simple. You only need to run another wire if the source hot is in the switch
box.

Comments has being made that is not convenient, if you enter in room need to
go behind sofa to put lamp €œon€. Yes it defiantly sound pretty stupid. But
why one would need to do that Most of Lamps in USA comes with the switch at
the bulb socket, some come in the base of Table lamps, or you can get sound
activated switch or intrusion switch, any one comes in room the lights goes
on, they are made with time delays built in to them for on or off, that are
some remote ones that you not need do anything but plug it in.

If you are going to use the lamp's switch then the location of the switch for the switched
receptacle is a moot point since it will never be switched off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

go behind sofa to put lamp “on”. Yes it defiantly sound pretty stupid. But
why one would need to do that Most of Lamps in USA comes with the switch at
the bulb socket, some come in the base of Table lamps, or you can get sound
activated switch or intrusion switch, any one comes in room the lights goes
on, they are made with time delays built in to them for on or off, that are
some remote ones that you not need do anything but plug it in.

If you are going to use the lamp's switch then the location of the switch for the switched
receptacle is a moot point since it will never be switched off.

But if the lamp is in the far corner of the room from the entry, you
need to walk and trip your way through a dark room to get to the
switch, which in North ASmerican switched outlet practice, is within
armslength of the entrywaY - and in a room with 2 or more entrances is
USUALLY a 3 way (or 4 way) switch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

+1

Most commonly it's routed hot to switch, but if it's hot to receptacle,
then it's easy.

Comments has being made that is not convenient, if you enter in room need to
go behind sofa to put lamp €œon€. Yes it defiantly sound pretty stupid. But
why one would need to do that Most of Lamps in USA comes with the switch at
the bulb socket, some come in the base of Table lamps, or you can get sound
activated switch or intrusion switch, any one comes in room the lights goes
on, they are made with time delays built in to them for on or off, that are
some remote ones that you not need do anything but plug it in.

If you are going to use the lamp's switch then the location of the switch for the switched
receptacle is a moot point since it will never be switched off.

+1
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

€œCan I change€ duplex outlet that one half works of the switch and other being
directly on the line:: €œNO€ unless you can run additional line, you need
four wires 2 Hot one Neutral and one for Ground, Only then you can split
the duplex, one output hook to hot line and one hook on the line coming from
the switch. This is for 120 Voltage source USA standard Receptacle.

That's wrong. If the source hot is already in the receptacle box then the conversion
is fairly simple. You only need to run another wire if the source hot is in the switch
box.

***No you are wrong "Look what man is asking for"

Comments has being made that is not convenient, if you enter in room need to
go behind sofa to put lamp €œon€. Yes it defiantly sound pretty stupid. But
why one would need to do that Most of Lamps in USA comes with the switch at
the bulb socket, some come in the base of Table lamps, or you can get sound
activated switch or intrusion switch, any one comes in room the lights goes
on, they are made with time delays built in to them for on or off, that are
some remote ones that you not need do anything but plug it in.

If you are going to use the lamp's switch then the location of the switch for the switched
receptacle is a moot point since it will never be switched off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

being made with you “farts” it would not make any difference to home owner
and dose not make any difference what power the “Generators” that turn it to
make electricity.

The "leakage" was a joke too - - -.