Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Switchable Wall Outlet

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 17:19:01 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Thursday, December 22, 2016 at 6:10:33 PM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, December 22, 2016 at 4:24:07 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 14:57:23 -0500, Dave C wrote:

I have an AC wall socket, currently controlled by a wall switch. I
would like to change that outlet, so the one of the plugs is always
ON. The other plug would remaqin as is, ergo controlled by the wall
switch. I purchased a prior house with that configuartion for one
socket. Alas I never looked to see how that "split" outlet
configuration was implemented.

Can one inform me, how to make this change? Thanks

In every house I've ever owned, the switched outlets were
" just 1 switched " - the other was hot. You may have the
necessary wires at your receptacle - perhaps a previous homeowner
replaced the receptacle and did it incorrectly ?
John T.

Funny, in every house I've ever owned, it's been the other way.
They are either hot or switched, not mixed.

Same with me.

They are a fairly new idea in general construction but a little harder
(expensive) to do in new construction since the NEC change that
requires a neutral at every switch location.
You now need 3 wires in a switch loop so they will feed the switch and
then 2 wire to the load.