DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Switchable Wall Outlet (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/583281-switchable-wall-outlet.html)

Dave C[_3_] December 22nd 16 07:57 PM

Switchable Wall Outlet

I have an AC wall socket, currently controlled by a wall switch. I
would like to change that outlet, so the one of the plugs is always
ON. The other plug would remaqin as is, ergo controlled by the wall
switch. I purchased a prior house with that configuartion for one
socket. Alas I never looked to see how that "split" outlet
configuration was implemented.

Can one inform me, how to make this change? Thanks

DerbyDad03 December 22nd 16 08:39 PM

Switchable Wall Outlet

On Thursday, December 22, 2016 at 2:57:48 PM UTC-5, Dave C wrote:
I have an AC wall socket, currently controlled by a wall switch. I
would like to change that outlet, so the one of the plugs is always
ON. The other plug would remaqin as is, ergo controlled by the wall
switch. I purchased a prior house with that configuartion for one
socket. Alas I never looked to see how that "split" outlet
configuration was implemented.

Can one inform me, how to make this change? Thanks

It depends on how it it wired. If the hot wire comes to the receptacle box,
and then goes to the switch, it is fairly easy. You can cut the tab between
the upper and lower socket and attach a hot wire to one socket and the
switched to the other.

If the hot goes to the switch box first and then to the receptacle, you'll
need to pull an always-hot wire to the receptacle box.

This image shows the easy set-up because the source hot is available at the
receptacle:

http://www.electrical-online.com/wp-...d-outlet-2.gif

This is how you require the receptacle after breaking the tab:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...77767bbc9f.jpg

This shows the source hot at the switch meaning you have no always-hot wire at the receptacle. This will require more than just a simple rewireing inside
the receptacle box. You'll need to pull a new wire to get power directly to
the receptacle.

http://www.do-it-yourself-help.com/i...receptacle.gif

That is often done with a 3 wire cable from the switch box to the receptacle.

http://ask-the-electrician.com/image...-diagram-1.JPG

Gordon Shumway December 22nd 16 08:51 PM

Switchable Wall Outlet

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 14:57:23 -0500, Dave C wrote:

I have an AC wall socket, currently controlled by a wall switch. I
would like to change that outlet, so the one of the plugs is always
ON. The other plug would remaqin as is, ergo controlled by the wall
switch. I purchased a prior house with that configuartion for one
socket. Alas I never looked to see how that "split" outlet
configuration was implemented.

Can one inform me, how to make this change? Thanks

If you have to ask, my advice would be to call an electrician. You don't want to start a fire.

DerbyDad03 December 22nd 16 08:53 PM

Switchable Wall Outlet

On Thursday, December 22, 2016 at 3:39:22 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Actually, both of my first 2 images show the receptacle already split (I
pasted the wrong link of the "before" wiring) but I think you get the
idea.

Let me know if I confused you.

DerbyDad03 December 22nd 16 08:59 PM

Switchable Wall Outlet

On Thursday, December 22, 2016 at 3:52:28 PM UTC-5, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 14:57:23 -0500, Dave C wrote:

I have an AC wall socket, currently controlled by a wall switch. I
would like to change that outlet, so the one of the plugs is always
ON. The other plug would remaqin as is, ergo controlled by the wall
switch. I purchased a prior house with that configuartion for one
socket. Alas I never looked to see how that "split" outlet
configuration was implemented.

Can one inform me, how to make this change? Thanks

If you have to ask, my advice would be to call an electrician. You don't want to start a fire.

Now there's the spirit of a.h.r

We get the rare on-topic post and you send him packing.

God forbid someone actually learn something from this ng.

[email protected] December 22nd 16 09:26 PM

Switchable Wall Outlet

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 14:57:23 -0500, Dave C wrote:

I have an AC wall socket, currently controlled by a wall switch. I
would like to change that outlet, so the one of the plugs is always
ON. The other plug would remaqin as is, ergo controlled by the wall
switch. I purchased a prior house with that configuartion for one
socket. Alas I never looked to see how that "split" outlet
configuration was implemented.

Can one inform me, how to make this change? Thanks

In every house I've ever owned, the switched outlets were
" just 1 switched " - the other was hot. You may have the
necessary wires at your receptacle - perhaps a previous homeowner
replaced the receptacle and did it incorrectly ?
John T.

Gordon Shumway December 22nd 16 11:07 PM

Switchable Wall Outlet

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 12:59:30 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Thursday, December 22, 2016 at 3:52:28 PM UTC-5, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 14:57:23 -0500, Dave C wrote:

I have an AC wall socket, currently controlled by a wall switch. I
would like to change that outlet, so the one of the plugs is always
ON. The other plug would remaqin as is, ergo controlled by the wall
switch. I purchased a prior house with that configuartion for one
socket. Alas I never looked to see how that "split" outlet
configuration was implemented.

Can one inform me, how to make this change? Thanks

If you have to ask, my advice would be to call an electrician. You don't want to start a fire.

Now there's the spirit of a.h.r

We get the rare on-topic post and you send him packing.

If it were only that easy with you.

God forbid someone actually learn something from this ng.

trader_4 December 22nd 16 11:09 PM

Switchable Wall Outlet

[...]

That diagram should show the white wire marked with black tape
at both ends, at the switch and at the receptacle, to identify
it as an ungrounded conductor.

This is how you require the receptacle after breaking the tab:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...77767bbc9f.jpg

That diagram shows it marked, but doesn't talk about it and
most people not familiar wouldn't know it.

This shows the source hot at the switch meaning you have no always-hot wire at the receptacle. This will require more than just a simple rewireing inside
the receptacle box. You'll need to pull a new wire to get power directly to
the receptacle.

http://www.do-it-yourself-help.com/i...receptacle.gif

That is often done with a 3 wire cable from the switch box to the receptacle.

http://ask-the-electrician.com/image...-diagram-1.JPG

And the vast majority of receptacles that are wired to just a switch
are done that way, hot to switch, then to receptacle, in which case
it's not a simple job and like you say, needs a cable pulled.

trader_4 December 22nd 16 11:10 PM

Switchable Wall Outlet

On Thursday, December 22, 2016 at 4:24:07 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 14:57:23 -0500, Dave C wrote:

I have an AC wall socket, currently controlled by a wall switch. I
would like to change that outlet, so the one of the plugs is always
ON. The other plug would remaqin as is, ergo controlled by the wall
switch. I purchased a prior house with that configuartion for one
socket. Alas I never looked to see how that "split" outlet
configuration was implemented.

Can one inform me, how to make this change? Thanks

In every house I've ever owned, the switched outlets were
" just 1 switched " - the other was hot. You may have the
necessary wires at your receptacle - perhaps a previous homeowner
replaced the receptacle and did it incorrectly ?
John T.

Funny, in every house I've ever owned, it's been the other way.
They are either hot or switched, not mixed. I have seen the
mixed type and it sure sounds more convenient.

James Wilkinson Sword December 22nd 16 11:37 PM

Switchable Wall Outlet

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 19:57:23 -0000, Dave C wrote:

I have an AC wall socket, currently controlled by a wall switch. I
would like to change that outlet, so the one of the plugs is always
ON. The other plug would remaqin as is, ergo controlled by the wall
switch. I purchased a prior house with that configuartion for one
socket. Alas I never looked to see how that "split" outlet
configuration was implemented.

Can one inform me, how to make this change? Thanks

What century are you living in? All my sockets have switches on them.

--
Q: What's the difference between an Irish funeral and an Irish wedding?
A: One less drunk.

Uncle Monster[_2_] December 23rd 16 12:48 AM

Switchable Wall Outlet

On Thursday, December 22, 2016 at 5:37:53 PM UTC-6, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 19:57:23 -0000, Dave C wrote:

I have an AC wall socket, currently controlled by a wall switch. I
would like to change that outlet, so the one of the plugs is always
ON. The other plug would remaqin as is, ergo controlled by the wall
switch. I purchased a prior house with that configuartion for one
socket. Alas I never looked to see how that "split" outlet
configuration was implemented.

Can one inform me, how to make this change? Thanks

What century are you living in? All my sockets have switches on them.
--

You do know that North American wiring standards, voltages and frequency of normal AC power for homes. business and industry are quite different from those of Europe? Your inductive hum is lower and more masculine. I suppose that's a point of pride for you. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Humming Monster

DerbyDad03 December 23rd 16 01:20 AM

Switchable Wall Outlet

On Thursday, December 22, 2016 at 6:08:32 PM UTC-5, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 12:59:30 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Thursday, December 22, 2016 at 3:52:28 PM UTC-5, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 14:57:23 -0500, Dave C wrote:

I have an AC wall socket, currently controlled by a wall switch. I
would like to change that outlet, so the one of the plugs is always
ON. The other plug would remaqin as is, ergo controlled by the wall
switch. I purchased a prior house with that configuartion for one
socket. Alas I never looked to see how that "split" outlet
configuration was implemented.

Can one inform me, how to make this change? Thanks

If you have to ask, my advice would be to call an electrician. You don't want to start a fire.

Now there's the spirit of a.h.r

We get the rare on-topic post and you send him packing.

If it were only that easy with you.

It is...just take the appropriate steps. You've heard of filters, haven't you?

This one's on you.

God forbid someone actually learn something from this ng.

[email protected] December 23rd 16 02:19 AM

Switchable Wall Outlet

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 23:37:43 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 19:57:23 -0000, Dave C wrote:

I have an AC wall socket, currently controlled by a wall switch. I
would like to change that outlet, so the one of the plugs is always
ON. The other plug would remaqin as is, ergo controlled by the wall
switch. I purchased a prior house with that configuartion for one
socket. Alas I never looked to see how that "split" outlet
configuration was implemented.

Can one inform me, how to make this change? Thanks

What century are you living in? All my sockets have switches on them.

What country is a better question.
The part you are missing is "wall switch". This is a switch near the
door that controls a receptacle somewhere in the room. (for a lamp)
It is not a switch right on the receptacle.

[email protected] December 23rd 16 02:23 AM

Switchable Wall Outlet

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 17:19:01 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

They are a fairly new idea in general construction but a little harder
(expensive) to do in new construction since the NEC change that
requires a neutral at every switch location.
You now need 3 wires in a switch loop so they will feed the switch and
then 2 wire to the load.

[email protected] December 23rd 16 02:27 AM

Switchable Wall Outlet

wrote:

[...]

The Limeys put switches on every outlet to make sure the electrons
don't leak out into a puddle on the floor that would electrocute the
unwary when walking past.

In North America we use "leakproof" outlets and only use switches for
convenience - and we put them in convenient locations. With duplex
outlets, we can "split" them, putting each half on different circuits,
or switching one half (for lights) while leaving one half live (for
non-lighting loads that may want to be used during daylight hours.

Percival P. Cassidy December 23rd 16 02:35 AM

Switchable Wall Outlet

On 12/22/2016 06:10 PM, trader_4 wrote:

I have an AC wall socket, currently controlled by a wall switch. I
would like to change that outlet, so the one of the plugs is always
ON. The other plug would remaqin as is, ergo controlled by the wall
switch. I purchased a prior house with that configuartion for one
socket. Alas I never looked to see how that "split" outlet
configuration was implemented.

Can one inform me, how to make this change? Thanks

In every house I've ever owned, the switched outlets were
" just 1 switched " - the other was hot. You may have the
necessary wires at your receptacle - perhaps a previous homeowner
replaced the receptacle and did it incorrectly ?
John T.

Funny, in every house I've ever owned, it's been the other way.
They are either hot or switched, not mixed. I have seen the
mixed type and it sure sounds more convenient.

Our house was built in the 1970s, and the outlets in the living room and
bedrooms are all "split": one switched, the other permanently "live."

Perce

[email protected] December 23rd 16 02:36 AM

Switchable Wall Outlet

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 17:20:45 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

First thing that needs to be determined is if there is a live wire
at the outlet with the switch turned off. If so, you have a "drop
switch" configuration and it is easy. It will have the black wire of
the "feed" wire-nutted to the wire to the switch, and the return from
the switch on the "gold" screw of the outlet, with the white wire of
the "feed" on the silver screw. By removing the "link" between the 2
gold screws and adding a wire to the black wirenut connection and
connecting it to the gold screw of the desired "always live" side of
the outlet, you have made one live and one switched.

If there is no live wire with the switch you have a "drop outlet"
configuration where the power comes throughthe box where the switch is
to the outlet - which is more involved to modify. Easiest way is to
replace the wite from the switch to the outlet with a 3 wire cable in
place of the 2 - with the black gouing straight through to the "always
on" and the red running from the controlled side of the switch to the
switched side. The black wire needs to be wirenutted through with a
pigtail to supply power to the switch.

Not easy to do in a finished wall without opening up the drywall or
plaster.

[email protected] December 23rd 16 02:48 AM

Switchable Wall Outlet

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 21:27:06 -0500, wrote:

The Limeys put switches on every outlet to make sure the electrons
don't leak out into a puddle on the floor that would electrocute the
unwary when walking past.

In North America we use "leakproof" outlets and only use switches for
convenience - and we put them in convenient locations. With duplex
outlets, we can "split" them, putting each half on different circuits,
or switching one half (for lights) while leaving one half live (for
non-lighting loads that may want to be used during daylight hours.

They took that idea to New Zealand too.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/New%20Zeala...plug%20cap.jpg

DerbyDad03 December 23rd 16 02:51 AM

Switchable Wall Outlet

wrote:

[...]

Why are you responding to my post with those instructions?

Perhaps you should be responding to the OP like I did, with basically the same
instructions...and diagrams.

Percival P. Cassidy December 23rd 16 02:53 AM

Switchable Wall Outlet

On 12/22/2016 09:27 PM, wrote:

[...]

I recall switched plugs in the UK 50+ years ago. This way you could have
multiple devices plugged into one 3-way adapter but switch each one
individually. Those plugs had a slide switch on the top edge; now I see
ads for plugs (actually "plug tops") with push switches on the front.

In North America we use "leakproof" outlets and only use switches for
convenience - and we put them in convenient locations. With duplex
outlets, we can "split" them, putting each half on different circuits,
or switching one half (for lights) while leaving one half live (for
non-lighting loads that may want to be used during daylight hours.

In the UK "lighting" circuits were separate from "power" circuits, fused
at 5A and 5A (don't remember how many -- 30A??), respectively.

And remember that the UK uses 240V rather than 120V; the risk of leakage
and forming a puddle on the floor is doubled -- and the puddles would be
twice as dangerous. Or maybe not: don't forget the ring mains -- why
would the electrons leak out anyway rather than just continuing around
the ring back to the fuse box?

Perce

Percival P. Cassidy December 23rd 16 02:58 AM

Switchable Wall Outlet

On 12/22/2016 09:48 PM, wrote:

The Limeys put switches on every outlet to make sure the electrons
don't leak out into a puddle on the floor that would electrocute the
unwary when walking past.

In North America we use "leakproof" outlets and only use switches for
convenience - and we put them in convenient locations. With duplex
outlets, we can "split" them, putting each half on different circuits,
or switching one half (for lights) while leaving one half live (for
non-lighting loads that may want to be used during daylight hours.

They took that idea to New Zealand too.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/New%20Zeala...plug%20cap.jpg

And Australia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AS/NZS...ower_point.jpg

[email protected] December 23rd 16 04:16 AM

Switchable Wall Outlet

wrote:

[...]

They were VERY common here in Canada back in the sixties already
when many homes had no ceiling lamps in bedrooms and living room -
Lamps were king.

[email protected] December 23rd 16 04:18 AM

Switchable Wall Outlet

wrote:

The Limeys put switches on every outlet to make sure the electrons
don't leak out into a puddle on the floor that would electrocute the
unwary when walking past.

In North America we use "leakproof" outlets and only use switches for
convenience - and we put them in convenient locations. With duplex
outlets, we can "split" them, putting each half on different circuits,
or switching one half (for lights) while leaving one half live (for
non-lighting loads that may want to be used during daylight hours.

They took that idea to New Zealand too.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/New%20Zeala...plug%20cap.jpg

Zambia too - along with fused plugs instead of fused distribution
panels - along with "ring wiring"

[email protected] December 23rd 16 04:19 AM

Switchable Wall Outlet

wrote:

[...]

I replied "to the group" which is comonly done on news groups.

[email protected] December 23rd 16 04:24 AM

Switchable Wall Outlet

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 21:53:36 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

On 12/22/2016 09:27 PM, wrote:

[...]

Never could figure out the actual reasoning behind it but I do know I
was often asked if I had turned off the outlet to prevent leakage when
I disconnected someting (This was in Zambia, which used the 220 volt
ring mains and switched colonial outlets in the early seventies) I
laughed. (My dad was an electrician in Canada and I had studied
electricity along with auto mechanics, electronics, machine shop, etc
at high school)

[email protected] December 23rd 16 05:07 AM

Switchable Wall Outlet

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 23:24:42 -0500, wrote:

Never could figure out the actual reasoning behind it but I do know I
was often asked if I had turned off the outlet to prevent leakage when
I disconnected someting (This was in Zambia, which used the 220 volt
ring mains and switched colonial outlets in the early seventies) I
laughed. (My dad was an electrician in Canada and I had studied
electricity along with auto mechanics, electronics, machine shop, etc
at high school)

Maybe the thought is at 230v, the arc takes longer to extinguish when
you pull put a plug under load and the switch is designed to do it
better.

Bod[_3_] December 23rd 16 08:08 AM

Switchable Wall Outlet

On 23/12/2016 04:24, wrote:
On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 21:53:36 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

On 12/22/2016 09:27 PM,
wrote:

[...]

These are typical mmains sockets in the UK.

Bod[_3_] December 23rd 16 08:10 AM

Switchable Wall Outlet

On 23/12/2016 08:08, Bod wrote:
On 23/12/2016 04:24, wrote:
On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 21:53:36 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

On 12/22/2016 09:27 PM,
wrote:

[...]

Whoops! here's the link:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mains-Doubl.../dp/B00MY70FMA

[email protected] December 23rd 16 03:07 PM

Switchable Wall Outlet

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 08:10:06 +0000, Bod wrote:

Whoops! here's the link:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mains-Doubl.../dp/B00MY70FMA

What is the one with the 2 round holes

Al Goar[_2_] December 23rd 16 03:13 PM

Switchable Wall Outlet

wrote:

Never could figure out the actual reasoning behind it but I do know I
was often asked if I had turned off the outlet to prevent leakage when
I disconnected someting (This was in Zambia, which used the 220 volt
ring mains and switched colonial outlets in the early seventies) I
laughed. (My dad was an electrician in Canada and I had studied
electricity along with auto mechanics, electronics, machine shop, etc
at high school)

Maybe the thought is at 230v, the arc takes longer to extinguish when
you pull put a plug under load and the switch is designed to do it
better.

It depends on the type of electricity.

Nuclear power has a small amount of residual radiation that can leak from devices. While coal seems safe, power generated from coal often releases small amounts of carbon monoxide into the home. Probably the safest is hydro power but water can condense
out and corrode the connections. Since the oceans are becoming more acidic, I'd expect to see inter-granular corrosion appearing in aluminum mains wiring too.

[email protected] December 23rd 16 03:59 PM

Switchable Wall Outlet

[...]

Another hazard - if you get your power from solar-electric -
never stare directly into the receptacle with the un-shielded eye !

James Wilkinson Sword December 23rd 16 04:00 PM

Switchable Wall Outlet

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 00:48:13 -0000, Uncle Monster wrote:

[...]

Voltage is nothing to do with the convenience of a switch.

--
Women like silent men, they think they're listening.

James Wilkinson Sword December 23rd 16 04:01 PM

Switchable Wall Outlet

wrote:

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 19:57:23 -0000, Dave C wrote:

I have an AC wall socket, currently controlled by a wall switch. I
would like to change that outlet, so the one of the plugs is always
ON. The other plug would remaqin as is, ergo controlled by the wall
switch. I purchased a prior house with that configuartion for one
socket. Alas I never looked to see how that "split" outlet
configuration was implemented.

Can one inform me, how to make this change? Thanks

What century are you living in? All my sockets have switches on them.

What country is a better question.
The part you are missing is "wall switch". This is a switch near the
door that controls a receptacle somewhere in the room. (for a lamp)
It is not a switch right on the receptacle.

Makes more sense to have the switch no the socket, then it's clear what it's for and where to find it.

--
"Hi, It's a great day and I'm out enjoying it right now. I hope you are too. The thought for the day is 'Share the love.'" BEEP.
"Um, yeah, hello? This is the VD clinic calling. Your test results are back and you're positive. Stop sharing the love."

Uncle Monster[_2_] December 23rd 16 05:16 PM

Switchable Wall Outlet

On Friday, December 23, 2016 at 10:00:59 AM UTC-6, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
[...]

I could always add a switch next to an outlet which would be fine for a kitchen counter or workbench. I actually had switches for the outlets on my workbench. The problem here in the States is that most of our electrical outlets are around foot off the floor so bending down to turn something on and off could be difficult especially if the outlet is behind a couch. Back at my home, I have two switches on the wall inside next to the front door. One is for the porch light and the other controls the outlet under the front window for a lamp so one can turn it on when entering a dark house. The rest of the electrical outlets including those above the kitchen counters are not switched. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Outdone Monster

James Wilkinson Sword December 23rd 16 05:24 PM

Switchable Wall Outlet

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 17:16:57 -0000, Uncle Monster wrote:

[...]

Most of ours are a foot off the floor too, but they all have switches. Of course you don't have to use them, you can leave them on and use the appliance's switch. But in the case of some things, I want to switch them off at the wall too incase someone (or a cat) knocks the appliance switch and makes it come on when it shouldn't (like a heater, toasted sandwich maker, or other hot device which could set something on fire when I'm not around to put it out). And things like soldering irons don't tend to have appliance switches.

--
The problem with today's society is adults are treated like children, children are treated like retards, and retards are exempt from the law.

DerbyDad03 December 23rd 16 05:29 PM

Switchable Wall Outlet

wrote:

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 19:57:23 -0000, Dave C wrote:

I have an AC wall socket, currently controlled by a wall switch. I
would like to change that outlet, so the one of the plugs is always
ON. The other plug would remaqin as is, ergo controlled by the wall
switch. I purchased a prior house with that configuartion for one
socket. Alas I never looked to see how that "split" outlet
configuration was implemented.

Can one inform me, how to make this change? Thanks

What century are you living in? All my sockets have switches on them.

What country is a better question.
The part you are missing is "wall switch". This is a switch near the
door that controls a receptacle somewhere in the room. (for a lamp)
It is not a switch right on the receptacle.

Makes more sense to have the switch no the socket, then it's clear what it's for and where to find it.

You are absolutely correct sir! It makes much more sense to move the couch
away from the receptacle or reach down into a corner every time you want to
turn a lamp on or off. No sense in using a switch that is right next to
the entrance to the room.

I can't believe that no one in the US has thought of that after lo, these
many decades. I'm going to grab my tools and fix my house right now. Hopefully
I will start a movement that eliminates the senseless inconvenience of how
we have been doing it for so long.

Ralph Mowery December 23rd 16 06:12 PM

Switchable Wall Outlet

In article ,
says...

--

I could always add a switch next to an outlet which would be fine for a kitchen counter or workbench. I actually had switches for the outlets on my workbench. The problem here in the States is that most of our electrical outlets are around foot off the floor so bending down to turn something on and off could be difficult especially if the outlet is behind a couch. Back at my home, I have two switches on the

wall inside next to the front door. One is for the porch light and the other controls the outlet under the front window for a lamp so one can turn it on when entering a dark house. The rest of the electrical outlets including those above the kitchen counters are not switched. ?(?)?

One of the outlets in my house is switched on with the wall switch where
you come into the room. The house was built around 1985.

For some reason one of the lights in a room comes on when the switch is
down and off when up. Not sure if it is a 3 way switch that I can't
find another switch for , of if someone just installed it upside down.
Thought about looking and changing it, but just too lazey. That light is
seldom used anyway.