Posted to alt.home.repair
James Wilkinson Sword James Wilkinson Sword is offline

Default Switchable Wall Outlet

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 19:36:51 -0000, wrote:

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 16:01:28 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 02:19:20 -0000, wrote:

What country is a better question.
The part you are missing is "wall switch". This is a switch near the
door that controls a receptacle somewhere in the room. (for a lamp)
It is not a switch right on the receptacle.

Makes more sense to have the switch no the socket, then it's clear what it's for and where to find it.

If the receptacle has a lamp plugged into it and you are entering the
room, a switch on the wall by the door is a whole lot more convenient
than pulling out the table and reaching behind it to get to the
switch. ;-)

Floor lamps have foot-activated switches. Table lamps have a switch on the cord or next to the bulb, or the fancy ones you touch the base and it detects you by capacitance.

This is actually driven by the code. It is required to have a
lighting outlet (luminaire or a receptacle) in every habitable room.
Nobody feels the need for a switch at every receptacle since virtually
all equipment has a switch on it.

What a stupid code. We have lights on the ceiling, with a switch by the door (or in my case a PIR).

--
I used to not get along with my mother-in-law, but over the last few
months, I've developed quite an attachment for her. It goes over her