Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Switchable Wall Outlet

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 19:49:50 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

This is actually driven by the code. It is required to have a
lighting outlet (luminaire or a receptacle) in every habitable room.
Nobody feels the need for a switch at every receptacle since virtually
all equipment has a switch on it.

What a stupid code. We have lights on the ceiling, with a switch by the door (or in my case a PIR).

It sounds like the same rule there. The light on the ceiling is a
"luminaire" but you can also just have a receptacle on that switch.
(for a lamp) Ceiling lights were out of fashion here for a while so
the code was amended. Now everyone wants a fan with a light in it so
the code had to upgrade those ceiling boxes to handle a 50 pound fan.